PDA

View Full Version : Interesting topic. Miss State vs Auburn basketball metrics. Why is AU higher in NET?

klong-dog
02-22-2019, 10:21 AM
https://www.secrant.com/rant/sec-football/can-someon-explain-why-auburn-has-a-higher-net-rank-than-mississippi-state-with-the/82152943/

sleepy dawg
02-22-2019, 10:46 AM
It is unfathomably ridiculous.

MetEdDawg
02-22-2019, 10:50 AM
If they went straight by NET Rankings Auburn would be a 5 seed and we would be a 7 seed. Our spot makes sense. Auburn's in no way, shape, or form makes sense.

To give you a comparison to Lunardi, he has us as a 6 seed and Auburn as an 8 seed.

What is surprising to me is he has Ole Miss as an 8 seed. And he has 8 SEC teams in the tournament right now including Alabama.

Lord McBuckethead
02-22-2019, 10:51 AM
We lost at home to UM. Next question.

klong-dog
02-22-2019, 10:52 AM
Auburn lost to ole miss at home and away. Keep it rolling.

MetEdDawg
02-22-2019, 10:52 AM
We lost at home to UM. Next question.

So did Auburn

StarkVegasSteve
02-22-2019, 11:04 AM
Auburn played out in Maui early in the season and got to play Duke. That's really the only difference. If we had played Duke our NETs would probably swap.

klong-dog
02-22-2019, 11:09 AM
Our SOS is way higher than AU. #18 State #41 auburn

Something isn't adding up.

StarkVegasSteve
02-22-2019, 11:16 AM
Our SOS is way higher than AU. #18 State #41 auburn

Something isn't adding up.

The only thing I can see is that they're 9-2 against Quadrant 2 and we're 4-3. However they're 1-6 against Quadrant 1 and we're 8-4. We're higher than them in every other metric. I would think Quadrant 1 would be rated higher than Quadrant 2.

msudawglb
02-22-2019, 11:20 AM
I'm not sure that I'm understanding this rant. We are currently projected as a #6 seed and Auburn is an #8 seed. And you have to go back to January 25th for Auburn to be seeded higher than MSU in Bracketology.

MetEdDawg
02-22-2019, 11:22 AM
The only thing I can see is that they're 9-2 against Quadrant 2 and we're 4-3. However they're 1-6 against Quadrant 1 and we're 8-4. We're higher than them in every other metric. I would think Quadrant 1 would be rated higher than Quadrant 2.

I think people have realized that the NET has been a disaster of a failure. That's why I will still trust Joe Lunardi. He gets the seeding correct quite a bit and I think he's better in tune with what is really going on than anyone else.

That's why him having us as a 6 and Auburn as an 8 seems much more realistic.

MetEdDawg
02-22-2019, 11:24 AM
I'm not sure that I'm understanding this rant. We are currently projected as a #6 seed and Auburn is an #8 seed. And you have to go back to January 25th for Auburn to be seeded higher than MSU in Bracketology.

It's because the be all end all NET metric that was created for college basketball to use in tournament selection and seeding has Auburn ranked 8 spots higher than us. Has Auburn at 20 and us at 28.

Lunardi just projects. But the NET ranking is the actual metric that's supposed to be used to do this.

QuadrupleOption
02-22-2019, 11:26 AM
https://www.secrant.com/rant/sec-football/can-someon-explain-why-auburn-has-a-higher-net-rank-than-mississippi-state-with-the/82152943/

It'd have to be defensive efficiency, right? I think that's the only metric in which they have a large advantage over us.

Lord McBuckethead
02-22-2019, 11:30 AM
Yeah, so far the NET system hasn't impressed me. The only difference I see between us and Auburn, other than the Q1 and Q2 that should definitely favor us, is their game against Duke. I am not sure how many of the Q2 wins were on the road versus ours.
The simple fact of the matter, if we go to Auburn and beat them, and hold serve on the teams we should beat from here on out our NET will be higher.

My questions for our team is
What happened to Peter's scoring and shooting? Is the wrist injury that bad?
What is the deal with Holman? It looks like he is a freshman that just decided to pick up and try to play D1 basketball. On offense and defense.
Right now, neither is showing me what I expected to see out of each of them. They need to get together, stop chasing the tail around campus, and figure out their stroke on the court.

Cooterpoot
02-22-2019, 11:41 AM
We could've gotten a NET bump had we scored again vs AU instead of sitting on the ball.

MetEdDawg
02-22-2019, 11:53 AM
We could've gotten a NET bump had we scored again vs AU instead of sitting on the ball.

I was shocked we didn't try to score again in that game. Thought we would considering we had done it earlier in the year in non conference

smootness
02-22-2019, 12:23 PM
It's because of efficiency, both offensive and defensive. You guys are assuming it is a similar formula to RPI, but that's the whole reason they changed it - they wanted it to incorporate efficiency rather than just wins/losses.

dawgday166
02-22-2019, 12:30 PM
Just looked at latest bracketology. That may not be a bad draw for us depending on how good Kansas is. Hadn't watched them play so don't know.

msstate7
02-22-2019, 12:32 PM
Just looked at latest bracketology. That may not be a bad draw for us depending on how good Kansas is. Hadn't watched them play so don't know.

Kansas is way down. Their way down is still good enough to smoke us though unless we really play well

dawgday166
02-22-2019, 12:44 PM
Kansas is way down. Their way down is still good enough to smoke us though unless we really play well

Historically speaking ... Kansas under performs in tournaments at a high rate when they're a high seed. Last year surprised me some (although I hadn't watched them play all year till the Duke semifinal).

They actually perform better as a lower seed.

klong-dog
02-22-2019, 12:46 PM
Plus they lost their big man early in the season.