PDA

View Full Version : MSU/USM moved to 2 PM Friday

Todd4State
02-21-2019, 08:35 PM
Although I haven't seen it announced, I'm pretty sure our rotation will stay the same.

USM's best pitcher- Matt Wallner is not listed as a starter and has a forearm strain.

MetEdDawg
02-21-2019, 08:48 PM
Sunday looks like we could get 2 in. So for sure get the game in Friday by making it earlier, Saturday is a wash, then Sunday play two.

Choctaw Dawg
02-21-2019, 08:53 PM
Wallner not pitching this weekend. As for tomorrow, showing 80% chance of rain at 4 o'clock and continuing till 7 that way. Looooong day tomorrow if they finish a game.

msstate7
02-21-2019, 08:57 PM
https://i.postimg.cc/1zY0ZfxZ/6-F2-A468-C-8802-4930-9-A7-D-19619-D8-A1-E08.jpg (https://postimg.cc/Y4YL62qX)

msbulldog
02-21-2019, 09:06 PM
Wallner not pitching this weekend. As for tomorrow, showing 80% chance of rain at 4 o'clock and continuing till 7 that way. Looooong day tomorrow if they finish a game.

Wallner is the smart a$$ I want! Got some smack about them beating us 3 straight and us going to Omaha! I want him and Jake to face off and see who's the best! 17 him!

Choctaw Dawg
02-21-2019, 09:47 PM
Wallner is the smart a$$ I want! Got some smack about them beating us 3 straight and us going to Omaha! I want him and Jake to face off and see who's the best! 17 him!

They take a lot of pride beating us, we're their world series.

Choctaw Dawg
02-21-2019, 10:17 PM
As for USM, they have a good team, pitching holds them back. I believe they have most of the offense from last year (plus Brant Blaylock) but the pitching is lacking. Wallner is their best guy but will not be pitching although he will be hitting.

Our keys to success for beating them will be if we can be draw walks and get to the pen. USM guy I am related to says that the wheels fall off for their team when they allow multiple walks in an inning which happen regularly (see our 2017 team).

On that note, Lemonis is going to be tested with matchups this weekend. I was at the game Wednesday when the wheels were falling off for Plumlee and was observing the bullpen at work and saw Eagan and Smith warming. Lefty was coming up to bat and Lemonis puts Smith in as opposed to the lefty Eagan. The move ended up paying off but it'll be interesting to see how we figure matchups out from now on. Of course Lemonis knows more than me so we'll see what goes.

Offense needs to stop popping the ball up as well, be prepared for low scoring games this weekend judging our offense, still thinking a series win for us though.

Todd4State
02-21-2019, 10:23 PM
As for USM, they have a good team, pitching holds them back. I believe they have most of the offense from last year (plus Brant Blaylock) but the pitching is lacking. Wallner is their best guy but will not be pitching although he will be hitting.

Our keys to success for beating them will be if we can be draw walks and get to the pen. USM guy I am related to says that the wheels fall off for their team when they allow multiple walks in an inning which happen regularly (see our 2017 team).

On that note, Lemonis is going to be tested with matchups this weekend. I was at the game Wednesday when the wheels were falling off for Plumlee and was observing the bullpen at work and saw Eagan and Smith warming. Lefty was coming up to bat and Lemonis puts Smith in as opposed to the lefty Eagan. The move ended up paying off but it'll be interesting to see how we figure matchups out from now on. Of course Lemonis knows more than me so we'll see what goes.

Offense needs to stop popping the ball up as well, be prepared for low scoring games this weekend judging our offense, still thinking a series win for us though.

Lemonis was asked about bringing in Brandon Smith to pitch to a left hand hitter and he told the media that the match-ups actually favored going to a RHP in that particular situation so I'm assuming that there were some reverse splits going on with that particular hitter and situation.

yjnkdawg
02-22-2019, 12:08 AM
The National Weather Service Hourly Weather Forecast projects 0.17 inches of rain, between 12 and 6 PM, except higher amounts in thunderstorms possible.

louisvilledawg
02-22-2019, 08:15 AM

Glad to see Blaylock cut down on his almost 50% k rate from when he was at state. Pretty sure that dude would've struck out at least a couple of times that year even if you put the ball on a tee for him.

PKADogs55
02-22-2019, 08:43 AM

^^^^^^
Could not have said it better!

StarkVegasSteve
02-22-2019, 09:33 AM
It's gonna be a long day at the park if they're trying to finish today. There's a window tomorrow morning between 10:30 and 12:30 that they could come back and finish the game if it got started and postponed tonight

PMDawg
02-22-2019, 10:02 AM

Meh. They take a lot of pride in beating us because most years we are good, and we are historically very good. It's a compliment. On top of that, they also feel like they are now close to, or even on, our level. And for the most part, they are - on paper. They have a very good baseball program, and have for quite a long time. They don't play in the SEC, and they don't have the postseason success we have had, but they have had a lot of really solid squads over the years. This year is no different. They want to beat us because a lot of their players know a lot of our players, played with them, and have a chip on their shoulder because they may not have gotten the offer to play at MSU even though the feel like they could've/should've. No big deal. They'll try their best to show us up; should be a good series.

sleepy dawg
02-22-2019, 10:54 AM
Meh. They take a lot of pride in beating us because most years we are good, and we are historically very good. It's a compliment. On top of that, they also feel like they are now close to, or even on, our level. And for the most part, they are - on paper. They have a very good baseball program, and have for quite a long time. They don't play in the SEC, and they don't have the postseason success we have had, but they have had a lot of really solid squads over the years. This year is no different. They want to beat us because a lot of their players know a lot of our players, played with them, and have a chip on their shoulder because they may not have gotten the offer to play at MSU even though the feel like they could've/should've. No big deal. They'll try their best to show us up; should be a good series.

I agree with this completely. We're not their WS. They have higher much higher aspirations than this series. They are not the underdogs in this game in their minds. They absolutely expect to win. I'm not sure why so many State fans want to act like this USM team is like playing USM in football... It ain't. They are a very good team, just like us. I'm very excited about this series as it will be a great early test for both teams.

I'm glad Walner isn't pitching. Take the breaks we can take. Let's don't be fools like UAB pitching to Mangum. Let's be happy for the breaks we do get b/c we may very well need them.

RocketDawg
02-22-2019, 12:19 PM
Think they'll be able to get the game in this afternoon? Looks like Starkville is right on the southern border of the soaking rains. Hard to tell what things will be like by 2:00.

confucius say
02-22-2019, 01:20 PM

They are now close to or On our level on paper? What does that mean? Are you just counting regular season wins where they play in cusa? I get youre not counting postseason (We've been to 3 straight supers and Omaha in last 3 years. Have they been to three supers ever?), but I'm not sure how else you compare the 2 programs on paper.

They are a good program, but in no way are they the program we are, on paper or in real life.

Homedawg
02-22-2019, 01:37 PM
Lemonis was asked about bringing in Brandon Smith to pitch to a left hand hitter and he told the media that the match-ups actually favored going to a RHP in that particular situation so I'm assuming that there were some reverse splits going on with that particular hitter and situation.

Smith's best pitch is a change. Uab had lots of lh hitters to run out of bat.

mparkerfd20
02-22-2019, 01:43 PM
They are now close to or On our level on paper? What does that mean? Are you just counting regular season wins where they play in cusa? I get youre not counting postseason (We've been to 3 straight supers and Omaha in last 3 years. Have they been to three supers ever?), but I'm not sure how else you compare the 2 programs on paper.

They are a good program, but in no way are they the program we are, on paper or in real life.

Exactly. I'm not for downplaying our opponent by any stretch but some are trying to give too much credit. We are an A to high A program and they are a solid B.

PMDawg
02-22-2019, 02:39 PM

They have a lot of talent on their roster. We have better facilities, better history/tradition, better coaching. Most years, over the last 10-15 years, the talent disparity isn't some huge chasm - not enough to make this "their world series". They'll never have the post-season success or history that we have, but they are absolutely good enough to be a competitive series year in and year out. See last year's sweep of us, for example. They're not us, never will be - never said they were. But they bring talented rosters year in and year out. To act otherwise is pretty childish.