PDA

View Full Version : A prime time to run a zone--

tcdog70
02-20-2019, 09:23 PM
When we couldn't stop Ga from going inside. Also might could hide Holman in a zone. Ga. Ran a Zone and it screwed us up. If you have to play Holman, then we need to run a zone when he is in the game.

Ifyouonlyknew
02-20-2019, 09:26 PM
When we couldn't stop Ga from going inside. Also might could hide Holman in a zone. Ga. Ran a Zone and it screwed us up. If you have to play Holman, then we need to run a zone when he is in the game.

If people complaining about Holman on defense & blocking out now you realize a zone would magnify it by 10.

HoopsDawg
02-20-2019, 09:38 PM

Agree. When Holman's in the game I would run a zone with Holman on the block. IYOK, Holman really struggles with his rotations. A zone would give him a specific area to cover and might hide him a little bit.

Ifyouonlyknew
02-20-2019, 10:17 PM
Agree. When Holman's in the game I would run a zone with Holman on the block. IYOK, Holman really struggles with his rotations. A zone would give him a specific area to cover and might hide him a little bit.

True but it would hurt us even more in rebounding imo. It's a lose lose really either way. I guess you could try it but more so to rest our guards than hiding Holman.

tcdog70
02-21-2019, 11:02 AM
True but it would hurt us even more in rebounding imo. It's a lose lose really either way. I guess you could try it but more so to rest our guards than hiding Holman.

Like Hoops said-you put him in the Middle of a zone.. Anyone knows it is easier to defend in the zone than Man to man. We were getting killed inside because Holman was not stopping on ball or help defense. Did you not see where the zone stopped us? a Zone for a change up just makes sense, especially when you have trouble guarding your man or helping out the guards on dribble penetration. Make Ga beat Us from deep. Pack the lane.

Ifyouonlyknew
02-21-2019, 11:15 AM
Like Hoops said-you put him in the Middle of a zone.. Anyone knows it is easier to defend in the zone than Man to man. We were getting killed inside because Holman was not stopping on ball or help defense. Did you not see where the zone stopped us? a Zone for a change up just makes sense, especially when you have trouble guarding your man or helping out the guards on dribble penetration. Make Ga beat Us from deep. Pack the lane.

I understand what you're saying but If the complaint on Holman has been effort & rebounding then a zone likely wouldn't solve those. It would keep him out of true 1 on 1 defense but in a zone you have to be active especially in the middle. Also not having determined block out assignments would lead to more standing around & even more prone to giving up offensive rebounds. Again to give our guards a breather I wouldn't mind zoning for a possession or 2 here or there. I just don't think a zone would mask Holman's deficiencies right now.

tcdog70
02-21-2019, 03:26 PM
I understand what you're saying but If the complaint on Holman has been effort & rebounding then a zone likely wouldn't solve those. It would keep him out of true 1 on 1 defense but in a zone you have to be active especially in the middle. Also not having determined block out assignments would lead to more standing around & even more prone to giving up offensive rebounds. Again to give our guards a breather I wouldn't mind zoning for a possession or 2 here or there. I just don't think a zone would mask Holman's deficiencies right now.

ha, I don't think it is possible to mask his deficiencies --teams will continue to attack Him. sorta like trying to hide your worst player in right field.

Ari Gold
02-21-2019, 03:48 PM
It’s harder to rebound in a zone and if you think Holman is lazy in man a zone will magnify that ..
also you can still have on ball screens and screen a zone defense
Sayin this I have no problem if we play a zone from time to time but our man to man over the last 3 games has been pretty freaking good ..
Again you can’t just tell a team to play a zone and it be effective .. some coaches just don’t coach it .. I’m guessing 3/4 of college teams play zone no more than 20% of the time

tcdog70
02-21-2019, 07:45 PM
I agree, but there is a reason they play it 20% of the time, whereas Howland plays it zero percent. It must have some saving grace, the NBA outlawed it for years.

1bigdawg
02-21-2019, 11:10 PM
People play it more as a change up to confuse the offense, particularly when the man to man has not been working. Some coaches do that; others prefer to coach man to man better.