PDA

View Full Version : UAB starting Doug Ashcraft

Todd4State
02-20-2019, 01:13 AM
A former MSU pitcher. I wish we could have kept him. He struck out five batters in two IP this weekend for UAB.

Peyton Plumlee better be on his A game.

bulldogcountry1
02-20-2019, 07:37 AM
Did we lose him or was he processed?

TNDawg35
02-20-2019, 08:50 AM
It’s Graham Ashcraft. He had control issues and I think was pretty much processed.

MetEdDawg
02-20-2019, 08:57 AM
It’s Graham Ashcraft. He had control issues and I think was pretty much processed.

He had two consecutive hip injuries. Dude threw flames in high school but couldn't stay healthy here.

Lord McBuckethead
02-20-2019, 09:07 AM
Either way, it rained 4 inches yesterday and is set for more rain today. It would be interesting if we can actually get a game in today.

confucius say
02-20-2019, 09:10 AM
He was 92-95 two falls ago. Not sure what the two hip injuries did to him though

HoopsDawg
02-20-2019, 09:14 AM
A former MSU pitcher. I wish we could have kept him. He struck out five batters in two IP this weekend for UAB.

Peyton Plumlee better be on his A game.

Plumlee is only going to throw 3 innings, 4 innings max. then we will work through our bullpen. all of our top guys will pitch 1 inning except for our 3 weekend starters.

MStateDawg
02-20-2019, 09:15 AM
Either way, it rained 4 inches yesterday and is set for more rain today. It would be interesting if we can actually get a game in today.

The hourly forecast shows the rain getting out of Starkville prior to 4pm but if they play, it will definitely be a test of the drainage system.

BiochemDawg
02-20-2019, 09:22 AM
I've also talked to a few folks on the team that mentioned he wasn't very well liked in the clubhouse, which may have been a factor in him getting processed.

Commercecomet24
02-20-2019, 09:25 AM
Plumlee is only going to throw 3 innings, 4 innings max. then we will work through our bullpen. all of our top guys will pitch 1 inning except for our 3 weekend starters.

These type games are where our deep bullpen is gonna pay huge dividends.

Saltydog
02-20-2019, 09:35 AM
NT

RocketCityDawg
02-20-2019, 10:59 AM

Yeah, pretty much. He was offered to stay, but his scholly was pulled. I think he had a pretty big scholly too.

Choctaw Dawg
02-20-2019, 11:28 AM
He certainly wasn't a twelfth round pick for no reason, we better come to play.

bulldogcountry1
02-20-2019, 11:49 AM
I heard a lot about MacLeod in the fall and spring, but he didn't pitch at all last weekend. I expected that meant he would start today, but that's not the case. What's going on there?

HoopsDawg
02-20-2019, 12:44 PM
I heard a lot about MacLeod in the fall and spring, but he didn't pitch at all last weekend. I expected that meant he would start today, but that's not the case. What's going on there?

I heard mono. Be back mid-season. Not sure though.

PKADogs55
02-20-2019, 01:23 PM
Any chance we see J.T. in the field tonight, or at DH?

I seen it dawg
02-20-2019, 01:26 PM
I'd like to see him DH and get some ABs

Choctaw Dawg
02-20-2019, 02:17 PM
I heard mono. Be back mid-season. Not sure though.

Yeah, what Jim Ellis said, well wait and see though.

Dental Dawg33
02-20-2019, 02:40 PM
Is the game starting on time this evening? Anyone heard?

The Federalist Engineer
02-20-2019, 03:04 PM
Aschraft is a big prospect but for us, people hit for good average against him.

All his summer ball stats were pretty brutal also.

He did not pitch in the Cape either, he was being tagged by D2 and D3 kids at some 3rd tier summer league.

But the MSSTATE thing to happen is for him to pull a Damien Gardner and pitch great.

Todd4State
02-20-2019, 08:25 PM
Aschraft is a big prospect but for us, people hit for good average against him.

All his summer ball stats were pretty brutal also.

He did not pitch in the Cape either, he was being tagged by D2 and D3 kids at some 3rd tier summer league.

But the MSSTATE thing to happen is for him to pull a Damien Gardner and pitch great.

I don't think he was 100% healthy this summer or he was just coming back. He was dominant against SIU this weekend as well for UAB.

ShotgunDawg
02-20-2019, 09:22 PM
Big time whiff by us to pull his scholly in an effort to get Carter Stewart.

Ashcraft was up to 98 tonight with a good slider. Will probably be taken in the 3rd-5th round.

Tough letting that talent walk out the door and get nothing in return.

Todd4State
02-20-2019, 09:30 PM

Ashcraft was up to 98 tonight with a good slider. Will probably be taken in the 3rd-5th round.

Damn. We should have made sure that Stewart was coming before we did that. Or adjusted after the fact if he showed up.

ShotgunDawg
02-20-2019, 10:28 PM
Damn. We should have made sure that Stewart was coming before we did that. Or adjusted after the fact if he showed up.

Yeah. Tough break.

Not sure what information or lack of info our coaches had though.

The 11.7 is a bi$&

wasabaka
02-20-2019, 10:36 PM

#1) His scholarship wasn?t pulled, it was reduced. He was offered a roster spot, just at a reduced aid amount.

#2) He was plagued with injuries his entire time here.

Yes, he has talent, and apparently we could not hit him tonight, but don?t spread misinformation.

ShotgunDawg
02-20-2019, 10:37 PM
#1) His scholarship wasn?t pulled, it was reduced. He was offered a roster spot, just at a reduced aid amount.

Yes, he has talent, and apparently we could not hit him tonight, but don?t spread misinformation.

Pulled, reduced. Same thing.

I agree he was hurt, so I don't know all the information our staff had to work with. Tough break.

What I stated wasn't misinformation. You reduce a guy's scholly when your making an effort to run him off. It's the same thing but politically correct. And Carter Stewart was a part of the reason why

SmokeyDawg
02-20-2019, 10:43 PM

Easy to say after the fact and who knows where he ends up. He had a reason to pitch well tonight. If he is so good why is he not their ace? Looked like either his control was still off or he was pitching at us, might have even thrown a ball behind Mac, if I saw that right. Either way you have to make the most of the opportunities you're given and if it doesn't work out then find the next thing. That's life with and beyond sports

Todd4State
02-20-2019, 11:13 PM
Easy to say after the fact and who knows where he ends up. He had a reason to pitch well tonight. If he is so good why is he not their ace? Looked like either his control was still off or he was pitching at us, might have even thrown a ball behind Mac, if I saw that right. Either way you have to make the most of the opportunities you're given and if it doesn't work out then find the next thing. That's life with and beyond sports

Shoop has been known to pitch his ace against us in the past. It's a calculated gamble since they have swept SIU and they have a series vs. Holy Cross this weekend- another team that they could sweep without using their ace.

The Federalist Engineer
02-20-2019, 11:14 PM

Just asking - isn't playing for a travel team like East Coat Sox way more expensive and time consuming than playing for us.
Elite travel Ball is a 5 figure annual nut isn't it?

Plus, you don't get college credit and you buy your own uniform

Seems silly to leave for just a reduced scholly, plus he is draft pick this summer

Todd4State
02-20-2019, 11:17 PM
Just asking - isn't playing for a travel team like East Coat Sox way more expensive and time consuming than playing for us.
Elite travel Ball is a 5 figure annual nut isn't it?

Plus, you don't get college credit and you buy your own uniform

Seems silly to leave for just a reduced scholly, plus he is draft pick this summer

A dollar saved is a dollar earned.

Could be a pride thing. Could be that he was tired of having a revolving door of pitching coaches. It could be that he reached out to UAB and they offered him more scholarship money than we were willing to give him.

SmokeyDawg
02-21-2019, 12:53 AM
Shoop has been known to pitch his ace against us in the past. It's a calculated gamble since they have swept SIU and they have a series vs. Holy Cross this weekend- another team that they could sweep without using their ace.

That's a wise strategy. He may have done well for us but it was ultimately his decision to move on. While I wish him success, it's a losers mentality to dwell on the past and things you can't change. Let bygones be bygones. I like what our pitching staff has to offer.

BrunswickDawg
02-21-2019, 07:58 AM
Pulled, reduced. Same thing.

I agree he was hurt, so I don't know all the information our staff had to work with. Tough break.

What I stated wasn't misinformation. You reduce a guy's scholly when your making an effort to run him off. It's the same thing but politically correct. And Carter Stewart was a part of the reason why

So - out of the pitchers on our staff we have seen thru 4 games, who exactly does Ashcraft beat out? None of our 3 weekend guys. Plumlee pitched just as well last night until his last inning. Our pen guys haven't given up squat. I don't see him working out in the numbers.

ShotgunDawg
02-21-2019, 08:32 AM
So - out of the pitchers on our staff we have seen thru 4 games, who exactly does Ashcraft beat out? None of our 3 weekend guys. Plumlee pitched just as well last night until his last inning. Our pen guys haven't given up squat. I don't see him working out in the numbers.

Yeah, we couldn't use a 98 mph pitcher with a good SL*

I'm not going to go into who he would beat out. That does no one any good. He WOULD be pitching for us though. However, you are correct that we have pretty complete team that doesn't have obvious holes.

BrunswickDawg
02-21-2019, 08:56 AM
Yeah, we couldn't use a 98 mph pitcher with a good SL*

I'm not going to go into who he would beat out. That does no one any good. He WOULD be pitching for us though. However, you are correct that we have pretty complete team that doesn't have obvious holes.

So your answer is - probably no one. I'm not trying to knock the guy. He might have kept one of the JUCO guys off the roster and gotten 20-25 innings this season. I'm actually happy for the kid being able to transfer and make an impact. It means we have been recruiting and developing well enough that a kid as good as he is can't make the cut. That's baseball until we get more than 11.7.

basedog
02-21-2019, 09:02 AM
Good for Ashcraft, this isn't first time someone transfers and does well against ex team.

Let's see if he holds up and how his season goes.

Todd4State
02-21-2019, 09:29 AM

If we have him Sunday then we could pitch Keegan midweek and used him out of the pen making us deeper. It is what it is and we will be good.