PDA

View Full Version : Football coaching shuffle

Walkerhill
02-19-2019, 05:59 PM
Can someone give me the scoop on our football staff changes?

The DL coach is a like for like position coach switch. Got it.

But, on offense, Getsy was the OC as well as WR coach. Looks like Richardson is RB coach behind Huff and Johnson is WR coach. Who is filling the OC role? I get Moorhead calls plays but from a week to week game planning perspective surely he needs some support with scheme, film review, etc. on the offensive side of the ball.

Is Breiner staying on in the QB role? Is he capable of stepping up into supporting the OC type role? Is there a path or need to acquire some offensive consultants to supplement the offensive staff from an off-the-field role?

Thoughts or inside info on the updated staff?

Dawgtini
02-19-2019, 06:05 PM
Morehead covered all that in his interview with David Murray on 247. Get a trial subscription. It was good stuff.

HoopsDawg
02-19-2019, 06:37 PM
Morehead covered all that in his interview with David Murray on 247. Get a trial subscription. It was good stuff.

some of his quotes in that article pissed me off to no end. some croom type feelings rose up.

dawgday166
02-19-2019, 06:55 PM
some of his quotes in that article pissed me off to no end. some croom type feelings rose up.

Hope you're wrong but he does come across that way at times. And it concerns me some too. Giving the benefit of the doubt for another couple of years tho ... unless this next year is a total shit storm.

msstate7
02-19-2019, 07:00 PM
Hope you're wrong but he does come across that way at times. And it concerns me some too. Giving the benefit of the doubt for another couple of years tho ... unless this next year is a total shit storm.

This year would be tough with a great coach. I won't be too upset with Moorhead if we go 6-6... well, if we start to resemble a competent offense vs decent defenses, I wont be too upset

BuckyIsAB****
02-19-2019, 07:01 PM
HC/OC(Playcaller)-Moorhead
RB/AHC/Running Game Coordinator-Richardson
TE/AHC-Hughes
QB/Passing Game Coordinator-Breiner
WR-Johnson
OL-Johnson
LB-Lukabu
CB-Buckley
S/DC-Shoop

confucius say
02-19-2019, 07:06 PM
Getsy told me himself after a speaking engagement last year that joe is 24/7 recruiting, so much so that he and breiner did most of the hameplan during the week. Joe called plays though. Take that fwiw.

Lord McBuckethead
02-19-2019, 07:12 PM
This year would be tough with a great coach. I won't be too upset with Moorhead if we go 6-6... well, if we start to resemble a competent offense vs decent defenses, I wont be too upset

I agree. If we have 2 or 3 big time contributers emerge out of no where we could see 8 wins. We need Key to get going quickly and be a baller. We need 2 WRs to catch straight fire. I would really like to have 2 700+ yard guys. Kylin needs to find a way to stay healthy and make sure you take the yards +2 that they are giving you.

BuckyIsAB****
02-19-2019, 07:12 PM
Getsy told me himself after a speaking engagement last year that joe is 24/7 recruiting, so much so that he and breiner did most of the hameplan during the week. Joe called plays though. Take that fwiw.

Getsy didnt do much for us recruiting. He is a NFL guy. I know Mingo didnt like him

HoopsDawg
02-19-2019, 08:11 PM
This quote especially rubbed me wrong:

“Our five-year average is of 8.2 wins here, and our ten-year average of 7.8. I mean, essentially we really hit the median this year. And if there was an outside perception of what the season should have been, I mean this is what we have done for a very long time here.”

KOdawg1
02-19-2019, 08:23 PM

“Our five-year average is of 8.2 wins here, and our ten-year average of 7.8. I mean, essentially we really hit the median this year. And if there was an outside perception of what the season should have been, I mean this is what we have done for a very long time here.”

That quote would be fine and dandy had he not come in with the big talk about ring sizes and championship standard. He talks big and that means he has confidence and I like that, but hopefully he can back it up. He's got 2 more years to show us something.

HoopsDawg
02-19-2019, 08:31 PM
That quote would be fine and dandy had he not come in with the big talk about ring sizes and championship standard. He talks big and that means he has confidence and I like that, but hopefully he can back it up. He's got 2 more years to show us something.

That and the fact that we had 3 first rounders and the no. 1 defense in the country.

Dawgtini
02-19-2019, 08:57 PM

Y?all both need to get your heads out. The kang won 3 games with more more first rounders. Shid y?all just want to complain and Pitbull want to give away info that he pays for to look cool. Smh 🤦*♂️

msstate7
02-19-2019, 09:03 PM
Y?all both need to get your heads out. The kang won 3 games with more more first rounders. Shid y?all just want to complain and Pitbull want to give away info that he pays for to look cool. Smh 🤦*♂️

Huh? We've had 4 1st round picks total from 1985-2018

ETA... 1996: 2, 2011: 1, 2012: 1

Dawgtini
02-19-2019, 09:22 PM
Brah
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Mississippi_State_Bulldogs_in_the_NFL_Draf t

msstate7
02-19-2019, 09:30 PM
Brah
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Mississippi_State_Bulldogs_in_the_NFL_Draf t

Yeah, thanks for clarifying what I just said.

https://i.postimg.cc/yx7QCVb4/8014747-C-B208-414-D-8864-801-F1-F13457-E.jpg (https://postimg.cc/BLwcxG3M)

https://i.postimg.cc/sXY6LBK4/5-C0-E3-A71-03-ED-4-CD2-93-E4-5-FFB94-F76-A1-F.jpg (https://postimg.cc/KkYDk861)

Am I reading it wrong?

Walkerhill
02-19-2019, 10:07 PM

Well, that plan was ill advised. But it seems even more ill advised to try to do that after taking the NFL caliber coach out of the mix. If the plan is same old, but this time with Richardson and Breiner at the wheel through the week, then I would be worried about getting to 6 this year. There are a lot of ways to fix that - offensive consultants, delegating more admin stuff and recruiting, delegate the defense to Shoop to focus in offense, and others - but to me this is a watch item heading into next year. We need SEC caliber coaching on the offensive side of the ball. The hires seem solid from a positional perspective, but the big picture view may need some work.

Joe is a smart guy, and I think he will make a jump in terms of both tweaking his scheme to fit the challenges of this league and also taking some lessons learned on the administrative aspects of leading an SEC program. It will be interesting to see what he does with this.

confucius say
02-19-2019, 10:17 PM
Well, that plan was ill advised. But it seems even more ill advised to try to do that after taking the NFL caliber coach out of the mix. If the plan is same old, but this time with Richardson and Breiner at the wheel through the week, then I would be worried about getting to 6 this year. There are a lot of ways to fix that - offensive consultants, delegating more admin stuff and recruiting, delegate the defense to Shoop to focus in offense, and others - but to me this is a watch item heading into next year. We need SEC caliber coaching on the offensive side of the ball. The hires seem solid from a positional perspective, but the big picture view may need some work.

Joe is a smart guy, and I think he will make a jump in terms of both tweaking his scheme to fit the challenges of this league and also taking some lessons learned on the administrative aspects of leading an SEC program. It will be interesting to see what he does with this.

Well he went with more of a recruiter (Johnson) than just x and o (getsy), so maybe he is going to delegate more of the recruiting and take over more of the game planning.

KOdawg1
02-19-2019, 10:42 PM
Y?all both need to get your heads out. The kang won 3 games with more more first rounders. Shid y?all just want to complain and Pitbull want to give away info that he pays for to look cool. Smh ��*♂️

How am I complaining? It's getting to where if you don't post about sunshine and flowers 247, then you're "complaining." It's okay to be disappointed in mediocrity and be positive. You can have it both ways.

Todd4State
02-19-2019, 10:49 PM

If Dan had the same season a lot of people would have wanted him to get an extension.

That said in the next sentence he talks about how to bridge the gap from good to great. So, I don't think he is saying that we should be satisfied or that he is either. Just that we are in the same starting spot that we were when Dan left.

Todd4State
02-19-2019, 10:51 PM
Well he went with more of a recruiter (Johnson) than just x and o (getsy), so maybe he is going to delegate more of the recruiting and take over more of the game planning.

I suspect that Joe tried to delegate some of the play calling like Dan did early in his career. When Dan took over the play calling I thought our offense improved after 2013. Hopefully the same thing happens here as well.

CadaverDawg
02-20-2019, 01:03 AM

?Our five-year average is of 8.2 wins here, and our ten-year average of 7.8. I mean, essentially we really hit the median this year. And if there was an outside perception of what the season should have been, I mean this is what we have done for a very long time here.?

That's the kind of comment that made me want to punch Joe in the face when he couldn't Field even an average offense last season. Comments like that make my blood boil...you're right, that is Croomspeak. Y'all done gone and got me repissed at Joe. Dammit Joe

CadaverDawg
02-20-2019, 01:05 AM
If Dan had the same season a lot of people would have wanted him to get an extension.

That said in the next sentence he talks about how to bridge the gap from good to great. So, I don't think he is saying that we should be satisfied or that he is either. Just that we are in the same starting spot that we were when Dan left.

No, nobody would've praised Dan for that season. That's flat wrong. But then again, Dan wouldn't have had that season bc he always fielded a competent Offense, and an average O wins 10 minimum this past year. Don't give Joe excuses.

Todd4State
02-20-2019, 01:11 AM
No, nobody would've praised Dan for that season. That's flat wrong. But then again, Dan wouldn't have had that season bc he always fielded a competent Offense, and an average O wins 10 minimum this past year. Don't give Joe excuses.

Always? 2011 says hi.** 2015 was a disaster outside of Dak making us look respectable despite Holloway up the middle.

I was told by some prominent MSU podcasters that if I wasn't happy with the 2017 season and Dan Mullen I would never be happy. So, yes- somebody would have praised him.

CadaverDawg
02-20-2019, 01:43 AM
Always? 2011 says hi.** 2015 was a disaster outside of Dak making us look respectable despite Holloway up the middle.

I was told by some prominent MSU podcasters that if I wasn't happy with the 2017 season and Dan Mullen I would never be happy. So, yes- somebody would have praised him.

You're wrong. We were so talented last year and everyone agreed we were...everyone had high expectations. Would've been even higher with Dan. 8 wins was an even bigger failure if Dan was here.

I won't go back and forth with you, I just Strongly disagree.

Todd4State
02-20-2019, 02:12 AM
You're wrong. We were so talented last year and everyone agreed we were...everyone had high expectations. Would've been even higher with Dan. 8 wins was an even bigger failure if Dan was here.

We were so talented on defense. I don't believe they disappointed.

I thought that we would win 10. However, I felt like Nick would improve with Joe. When I found out he was suspended that had me worried- and then he confirmed it with his lackluster play against K-State. I also underestimated Kentucky as well. I think everyone else did too. Had I known those two things my expectations would have been lower. The difference is I understand that sometimes things don't work out like you think that they will- but that doesn't make everything a complete "failure" or that a coach won't work out. Both Jackie and Dan our two best coaches in recent years also had disappointing seasons at times as well. Did you think Dan wouldn't work out because he didn't tell Tyson Lee to hand the ball off or because he didn't ask for a replay in the Houston game when Tyson Lee was ruled that he threw an illegal forward pass and we lost by one score in year one? Or Jackie wouldn't work out because he lost to Memphis (State) in year one and we looked the most unprepared I have ever seen a MSU team in a bowl game in year one including literally pitching a ball to an Air Force LB for a TD on an option play?

The thing is some people like you are blaming Joe for pretty much everything that didn't go right last year. And that's very shortsighted given that it was year one and given Joe's overall track record if you look at it. On top of it- it sounds like Joe was a little less involved with the offense than I anticipated as well. With him taking more control of the offense I would think that's a good thing potentially. This is a coach that set the MSU modern day record for wins in year one and had a better year one than Kirby Smart and Nick Saban. But very few talk about that because he lost to Kentucky and Florida and that's "unacceptable" so now he's "just not going to work out". This despite having the same record as 1998 when we won the SEC West.

And no- Joe wasn't perfect last year by any means. But I think he's getting way too much blame for last year and some fans like you have given up way too soon. And before you ask- Joe needs two more years at least so that we can determine trends and weaknesses and allow him a chance to get some players that he feels like fit his system. Just like every coach should barring a Cann like scandal.

HoopsDawg
02-20-2019, 08:47 AM
Joe says we have to pass the ball to compete for championships like that's some kind of revelation.

Todd4State
02-20-2019, 09:35 AM
Joe says we have to pass the ball to compete for championships like that's some kind of revelation.

That's because we have a lot of fans that demand we hand it off 50 times a game.

BrunswickDawg
02-20-2019, 10:03 AM
We were so talented on defense. I don't believe they disappointed.

I thought that we would win 10. However, I felt like Nick would improve with Joe. When I found out he was suspended that had me worried- and then he confirmed it with his lackluster play against K-State. I also underestimated Kentucky as well. I think everyone else did too. Had I known those two things my expectations would have been lower. The difference is I understand that sometimes things don't work out like you think that they will- but that doesn't make everything a complete "failure" or that a coach won't work out. Both Jackie and Dan our two best coaches in recent years also had disappointing seasons at times as well. Did you think Dan wouldn't work out because he didn't tell Tyson Lee to hand the ball off or because he didn't ask for a replay in the Houston game when Tyson Lee was ruled that he threw an illegal forward pass and we lost by one score in year one? Or Jackie wouldn't work out because he lost to Memphis (State) in year one and we looked the most unprepared I have ever seen a MSU team in a bowl game in year one including literally pitching a ball to an Air Force LB for a TD on an option play?

The thing is some people like you are blaming Joe for pretty much everything that didn't go right last year. And that's very shortsighted given that it was year one and given Joe's overall track record if you look at it. On top of it- it sounds like Joe was a little less involved with the offense than I anticipated as well. With him taking more control of the offense I would think that's a good thing potentially. This is a coach that set the MSU modern day record for wins in year one and had a better year one than Kirby Smart and Nick Saban. But very few talk about that because he lost to Kentucky and Florida and that's "unacceptable" so now he's "just not going to work out". This despite having the same record as 1998 when we won the SEC West.

And no- Joe wasn't perfect last year by any means. But I think he's getting way too much blame for last year and some fans like you have given up way too soon. And before you ask- Joe needs two more years at least so that we can determine trends and weaknesses and allow him a chance to get some players that he feels like fit his system. Just like every coach should barring a Cann like scandal.

Sometimes we are too close to the situation. I saw this yesterday and thought it was a good take - http://southernpigskin.com/sec/evaluating-joe-moorheads-debut/

It’s a matter of perception, really. Winning is the ultimate objective, and by that measure, while not a failure, Joe Moorhead’s season was a disappointment. However, wins and losses are often not as indicative of team strength as how teams actually play. Mississippi State, by and large, played well against brutal competition. By that measure, Moorhead had a heckuva year.

Both can be true.

I won't vouch at all for the ratings formula the guy who wrote the article is using. And yes, I know it is a site no one has heard of - it's an arm of the group that owns the ESPNRadio affiliates in coastal and south GA.

calidawg
02-20-2019, 10:38 AM

People shouldn't be entitled to any other opinion than this.

Vegas had us favored.. sometimes largely favored.. in 10 games last year

I will never forgive Joe for losing to Florida at home. If all things remain the same and he beats Florida our fan base would have a little more togetherness and hope, but I'll never forgive him for losing that Florida game. That was a game we should have won for so many reasons.

gravedigger
02-20-2019, 10:45 AM

To fans that scream run run run, I?m afraid it most certainly is a revelation.

msstate7
02-20-2019, 11:20 AM
To fans that scream run run run, I?m afraid it most certainly is a revelation.

Well you have to have the personnel to pass. You can't just say we're gonna be Clemson when you have power run spread talent

Tbonewannabe
02-20-2019, 11:57 AM
People shouldn't be entitled to any other opinion than this.

Vegas had us favored.. sometimes largely favored.. in 10 games last year

I will never forgive Joe for losing to Florida at home. If all things remain the same and he beats Florida our fan base would have a little more togetherness and hope, but I'll never forgive him for losing that Florida game. That was a game we should have won for so many reasons.

Interesting that we would have taken the lead if Mitchell just catches the ball but that is what you want him fired over. UF also ended up a top ten team that beat the hell out of Michigan. It isn't like UF had zero talent when Mullen got there. They arguably had better talent overall than we did. Yes we have 3 possible 1 round players but they have possibly 2. Their average recruiting class over the last 5 years is A LOT better than MSU.

It isn't like we lost to South Alabama. We lost to only top 25 teams, only top 15 teams in the regular season. Our offense underproduced in the losses except for the bowl game. We also probably don't have the #1 defense if Mullen is still here. Our secondary improved dramatically with Shoop and that was a huge difference between this year and last.

gravedigger
02-20-2019, 02:28 PM
Well you have to have the personnel to pass. You can't just say we're gonna be Clemson when you have power run spread talent

That is sort of like waiting until you have enough money to have a child. You never do.

Joe was hired for his offense and now he's had 2 recruiting cycles to get the right people for it, he will implement the offense he was hired to implement. It doesnt matter if we have all the pieces yet. He will get his freshman or some qb ready and he will get the wide receivers that perform the routes and they will play. We as fans may wring our hands about the most talented players sitting, but sit they will if they cannot pickup the offense.

Joe's decision to dumb down the offense this year was probably twice as frustrating to him as it was to us. He knows the passing game is not that hard to pickup. But he had a box of hammers and no nails.

He wasnt expecting Clemson type productivity this early. He was just expecting a qb and wr's that could pickup the offense and execute to the point we werent so predictable. That predictability cost us games like UK, LSU, UF and Iowa. We probably shouldnt have been as surprised by the UF loss as we were because Dan and Grantham knew our weakness on offense better than anyone.

Joe says we have to pass the ball because staying with the dumbed down running game as a primary focus will certainly produce worse and worse results. He's preparing fans for what is coming. We are going to pass whether we are successful at it in the short term or not. It is the only way to grow into what his offense is capable of.

And that will be a revelation. Might be kind of painful for us as fans.

msstate7
02-20-2019, 02:33 PM
That is sort of like waiting until you have enough money to have a child. You never do.

Joe was hired for his offense and now he's had 2 recruiting cycles to get the right people for it, he will implement the offense he was hired to implement. It doesnt matter if we have all the pieces yet. He will get his freshman or some qb ready and he will get the wide receivers that perform the routes and they will play. We as fans may wring our hands about the most talented players sitting, but sit they will if they cannot pickup the offense.

Joe's decision to dumb down the offense this year was probably twice as frustrating to him as it was to us. He knows the passing game is not that hard to pickup. But he had a box of hammers and no nails.

He wasnt expecting Clemson type productivity this early. He was just expecting a qb and wr's that could pickup the offense and execute to the point we werent so predictable. That predictability cost us games like UK, LSU, UF and Iowa. We probably shouldnt have been as surprised by the UF loss as we were because Dan and Grantham knew our weakness on offense better than anyone.

Joe says we have to pass the ball because staying with the dumbed down running game as a primary focus will certainly produce worse and worse results. He's preparing fans for what is coming. We are going to pass whether we are successful at it in the short term or not. It is the only way to grow into what his offense is capable of.

And that will be a revelation. Might be kind of painful for us as fans.

If we couldn't pick up the offense, how come joe himself said no one had picked it up faster? Seems we only had trouble picking up the offense when we faced a defense with a pulse

gravedigger
02-20-2019, 02:44 PM
If we couldn't pick up the offense, how come joe himself said no one had picked it up faster? Seems we only had trouble picking up the offense when we faced a defense with a pulse

Not sure why he said it. Maybe he meant all but the qb and wr positions.

We were successful vs teams that couldnt stop the run at all. Those that could, we couldnt score against. The offense he runs was scrapped after the UF game. Almost completely. It was changed so that Fitz didnt have to figure out for himself what play to run. That's why it took so long to get plays in. Once anyone watched a film of UF and UK games against us, all they had to do was have a defense with a pulse.

Homedawg
02-20-2019, 03:06 PM
I suspect that Joe tried to delegate some of the play calling like Dan did early in his career. When Dan took over the play calling I thought our offense improved after 2013. Hopefully the same thing happens here as well.

NO. Joe didn't delegate any play calling. At all. It was his baby.

Gutter Cobreh
02-20-2019, 03:42 PM
Sometimes we are too close to the situation. I saw this yesterday and thought it was a good take - http://southernpigskin.com/sec/evaluating-joe-moorheads-debut/

I won't vouch at all for the ratings formula the guy who wrote the article is using. And yes, I know it is a site no one has heard of - it's an arm of the group that owns the ESPNRadio affiliates in coastal and south GA.

Thanks for posting. It brings objective information into the discussion.

The part to me that stuck out, mainly due to the UF references within this thread:

"That means, by OAYP score, that Mississippi State's average opponent was the basic equivalent of Memphis or Oklahoma State. For context, Florida's average opponent was the equivalent of something between Buffalo and Texas Tech."