PDA

View Full Version : Balis

msstate7
10-20-2013, 09:36 AM
I know most of you swear by the guy, but I'm questioning him. We continue to struggle in the 2nd halves of games, our ol doesn't seem to be able to move the line of scrimmage, and our dl (besides jones and smith) the same.

I'm not sure who's idea it was to bulk up LP, but I think it was a horrible idea. LP still can't break arm tackles and now he isn't as explosive.

ShotgunDawg
10-20-2013, 10:06 AM
I know most of you swear by the guy, but I'm questioning him. We continue to struggle in the 2nd halves of games, our ol doesn't seem to be able to move the line of scrimmage, and our dl (besides jones and smith) the same.

I'm not sure who's idea it was to bulk up LP, but I think it was a horrible idea. LP still can't break arm tackles and now he isn't as explosive.

I actually somewhat agree with this. Seems like we sacrifice speed to get guys bigger. We also lack leadership and mental toughness. It is the job of the strength coach to build those things.

HoopsDawg
10-20-2013, 10:50 AM
hahahah, now you guys are blaming our strength coach.

PassInterference
10-20-2013, 10:53 AM
I don't know who to blame. But you can't deny we wore down against LSU and just look tired or flat in 2nd halves.

ShotgunDawg
Big difference in acknowledging a problem and asking for it to be fixed, and just wanting everyone fired to that you can say you made a change.

bully99
Now the strength coach ...what about the nutritionist and the team shrink and the academic counselor and ........

ShotgunDawg
10-20-2013, 10:58 AM
Now the strength coach ...what about the nutritionist and the team shrink and the academic counselor and ........

You do realize that the strength coach is probably the third biggest hire that a head coach makes, right?

1. Coordinator that is the opposite of the head coach (offensive or defensive)
2. Coordinator that is the same as the head coach
3. Strength coach (Spends more time with the players than any other coach throughout the year)

msstate7
10-20-2013, 11:00 AM
hahahah, now you guys are blaming our strength coach.

The buck stops with Mullen, but I do think he needs to make some personnel changes. The strength coach spends a lot more time with the players when games are really won -- offseason. Balis doesn't seem to be getting our team into the condition it takes to play 60 mins of sec football. Some of this I blame on when we pull starters against inferior opponents so early. I want our players used to playing the whole game. Our dl has some very highly recruited players that don't seem to be fast or strong when they should be. I think a lot of that blame is with balis. I want a strength coach that emphasizes stamina and speed

Gordon Gekko
10-20-2013, 11:03 AM
In the late 90's Mike Grant was the greatest strength coach in the history of strength coaches. When we started losing he was a bum that didn't know what he is doing.

I think our current situation falls more on the field coaches and lack of good game planning and quitting than the strength coach.

Political Hack
10-20-2013, 11:09 AM
if we fix the 2nd half problem, we're possibly 6-0 right now.

msstate7
10-20-2013, 11:11 AM
In the late 90's Mike Grant was the greatest strength coach in the history of strength coaches. When we started losing he was a bum that didn't know what he is doing.

I think our current situation falls more on the field coaches and lack of good game planning and quitting than the strength coach.

Could be. I do think a change in the culture of our program is needed though. I still think our dl not performing to the level it should is in part to strength and conditioning.

Gordon Gekko
10-20-2013, 11:17 AM
Could be. I do think a change in the culture of our program is needed though. I still think our dl not performing to the level it should is in part to strength and conditioning.

I agree the culture needs to be tweaked. I would like to actually see some of this relentless effort I've been hearing about. If that falls on Balis then he should be looked at.

Op4isabitch
10-20-2013, 01:05 PM
I to want to see relentless effort! I want it from the coaches and the players. If its not implemented from the top down it won't work.

Right now it appears that Mullen is a leader that is saying, " Do as I say, not as I do" and that never works for long!

Edited to add: For a great example of a leader that shows relentless effort look no further than Nick Saban.
The guy is chewing ass and demanding perfection last night at half time when his team was up by 4 touchdowns!

Bothrops
10-20-2013, 01:52 PM
I've wondered about this same thing through and through, for the last three years. I'm NO expert in this field, but I know for a fact that some players that have increased their muscle bulk have lost their finesse, as one would expect. I came to the conclusion that the Balis program focuses primarily on keeping players from sustaining injuries while trading off a little performance. There's a tradeoff either way. Off hand, I can't think of any catastrophic or career ending injuries since we've had Balis.

TheRef
10-20-2013, 02:21 PM
I've talked with a few players this season and they said Balis has worked them harder this year than previous years. To put it in perspective, this bye week he has been working them harder then previously. They only got Saturday off. Today they are practicing and working out. Needless to say, when I told him what was being said on here about Balis, he laughed and called everyone crazy that said Balis wasn't working them. Just figured I would tell y'all what the players are saying.

Where'sWaldo
10-21-2013, 03:39 PM
I've talked with a few players this season and they said Balis has worked them harder this year than previous years. To put it in perspective, this bye week he has been working them harder then previously. They only got Saturday off. Today they are practicing and working out. Needless to say, when I told him what was being said on here about Balis, he laughed and called everyone crazy that said Balis wasn't working them. Just figured I would tell y'all what the players are saying.

I have been wondering this as well for the past year or so but from a different perspective. When I watch and listen to our team I see players that are mentally tired and worn out. I believe Balis could be pushing them to such an extreme point on a consistent basis that they are mentally exhausted.

MarketingBully01
10-21-2013, 03:48 PM
Wasn't wearing down in the LSU game. It was flat out giving up after marching the ball down the field only to miss a chip shot field goal. Then the next drive throwing an INT. After that the flood gates came open but it wasn't because they were tired. They gave up. That is on Mullen not Balis

Coach34
10-21-2013, 03:59 PM
Balis is not the problem

We only had 3 second half possessions vs BG:

Balis didnt make Russell throw a bad pass on 3rd down
Balis didnt make Morrow jump on 3rd and 7 to make it 3rd and 12- and then Balis didnt make Bell miss the FG
Balis didnt make Mullen got for it on 4th and 3 from the BG 8

Not to mention- we play a shit ton of people.

Our problem is that we dont have enough HR threats on offense. We are a ball-control, run the clock offense. And when you run 12 plays and 6 minutes off the game clock- and then miss a FG- you have eaten up alot of of the 2nd half with no results

Looking back at it- BG and us both had 6 minute drives with missed FG's. That's 12 minutes of the 30 minute 2nd half game clock on 2 drives.

FlabLoser
10-21-2013, 04:10 PM
Wasn't wearing down in the LSU game. It was flat out giving up after marching the ball down the field only to miss a chip shot field goal. Then the next drive throwing an INT. After that the flood gates came open but it wasn't because they were tired. They gave up. That is on Mullen not Balis

We looked worn down to me.

I have no opinion on Balis. I'll just point out that working too hard without allowing the body sufficient rest, nutrition, and recovery will make a person worse, not better.