PDA

View Full Version : Let?s talk new pitchers

AlSwearengen
02-17-2019, 12:53 PM
Because I missed a few of them, tell me what you guys saw.
- I saw Ginn and with a little experience, he should be what we expect.
- Cerantola, surprisingly had an easier time throwing strikes with his curve (which looked like a + pitch for him). Maybe the coaches have changed the way he delivers his fastball, for more movement, maybe? For whatever reason, he was a little erratic with the fastball. With that said, if and when he gains command of it, he could be an all American.
- Eagan, the juco from Wisconsin looked like he had a nice slider and should be a good lefty lefty matchup and might be just fine against righties as well.

What did I miss?

basedog
02-17-2019, 01:04 PM
Because I missed a few of them, tell me what you guys saw.
- I saw Ginn and with a little experience, he should be what we expect.
- Cerantola, surprisingly had an easier time throwing strikes with his curve (which looked like a + pitch for him). Maybe the coaches have changed the way he delivers his fastball, for more movement, maybe? For whatever reason, he was a little erratic with the fastball. With that said, if and when he gains command of it, he could be an all American.
- Eagan, the juco from Wisconsin looked like he had a nice slider and should be a good lefty lefty matchup and might be just fine against righties as well.

What did I miss?

I thought Brandon Smith looked good for the inning he pitched. True Freshman throwing strikes!

ShotgunDawg
02-17-2019, 01:06 PM
Good post.

- Cerantola is just a pup. The tall guys take longer to develop because they longer extremities and thus more to time up to find a consistent release point. He just needs a little more strength to maintiain posture and make his delivery more repeatable. AJ Puck had similar issues at Florida.

- Additionally, I thought Colby White was lights out. He's a great power arm that could play a similar roll for us as Woolfork did for OM.

CadaverDawg
02-17-2019, 01:17 PM
How did Self look? I missed the inning or so he pitched. He got roughed up down the stretch last year...we need him to be the Riley of old

I seen it dawg
02-17-2019, 01:19 PM
I loved how we attacked. Pitched with the fastball pounded the zone and didn't get cute. Refreshing and positive.

Underlying that, the biggest thing for me was Eagan and Barlow. If they can give us 2 lefty options out of the pen it will make us really hell to do with out of the pen. We have some good rh options already but having the lefties is huge.

I was also impressed with the guys that have never pitched at this level come in and throw strikes. Doesn't matter the competition bc we have failed at that in the past and this wkd we were exceptional. Quite honestly it seemed to me the most inconsistent guy was Plumlee. Which that being the case with his experience is a positive.

Will be curious how the very back end shakes out of the bullpen.

Next weekend will be a good indicator of what our staff is going to progress to.

I seen it dawg
02-17-2019, 01:20 PM
How did Self look? I missed the inning or so he pitched. He got roughed up down the stretch last year...we need him to be the Riley of old

Threw all fastballs (cutters). Looked sharp. Still not sure how he is gonna deal with good LH hitters in conference. But if we have Eagan and Barlow step up, Self can be a really effective late guy.

I seen it dawg
02-17-2019, 01:22 PM
Good post.

- Cerantola is just a pup. The tall guys take longer to develop because they longer extremities and thus more to time up to find a consistent release point. He just needs a little more strength to maintiain posture and make his delivery more repeatable. AJ Puck had similar issues at Florida.

- Additionally, I thought Colby White was lights out. He's a great power arm that could play a similar roll for us as Woolfork did for OM.

Yeah patience is key with Cerantola. He will be electric eventually.

It's been noted but our radar guns are trash. Colby was throwing every bit as hard as Hess from LSU and he was 95-96 on their gun and it looked accurate.

ShotgunDawg
02-17-2019, 01:26 PM
Yeah patience is key with Cerantola. He will be electric eventually.

It's been noted but our radar guns are trash. Colby was throwing every bit as hard as Hess from LSU and he was 95-96 on their gun and it looked accurate.

Agree.

Hess is a reliever. I just don't think he's very good. Never have. I think the FR Marceaux will eventually start on Friday. I also don't think LSU is anywhere near the #1 team. 7-12 IMO

MetEdDawg
02-17-2019, 01:30 PM
I loved how we attacked. Pitched with the fastball pounded the zone and didn't get cute. Refreshing and positive.

Underlying that, the biggest thing for me was Eagan and Barlow. If they can give us 2 lefty options out of the pen it will make us really hell to do with out of the pen. We have some good rh options already but having the lefties is huge.

I was also impressed with the guys that have never pitched at this level come in and throw strikes. Doesn't matter the competition bc we have failed at that in the past and this wkd we were exceptional. Quite honestly it seemed to me the most inconsistent guy was Plumlee. Which that being the case with his experience is a positive.

Will be curious how the very back end shakes out of the bullpen.

Next weekend will be a good indicator of what our staff is going to progress to.

Next weekend will be a better test than Youngstown State, but Southern Miss has not impressed so far. 7-6 win in game 1 over Purdue where they had to score in the bottom of the 9th to go to extras and a 4-2 win yesterday. Purdue was picked to finish 10th in the Big 10. USM is losing right now to them 7-4 in the 5th.

So yes it's a better test but USM is not as strong this year as in years past. I'm gonna make a bold prediction and say La Tech wins the conference this year.

Todd4State
02-17-2019, 01:45 PM
Next weekend will be a better test than Youngstown State, but Southern Miss has not impressed so far. 7-6 win in game 1 over Purdue where they had to score in the bottom of the 9th to go to extras and a 4-2 win yesterday. Purdue was picked to finish 10th in the Big 10. USM is losing right now to them 7-4 in the 5th.

So yes it's a better test but USM is not as strong this year as in years past. I'm gonna make a bold prediction and say La Tech wins the conference this year.
I bet we've had USM circled for awhile too. I'm expecting us to play well. UAB with Polk is not going to be a cakewalk either- he's going to want to beat us. Both are better teams than Youngstown State.

MetEdDawg
02-17-2019, 02:01 PM
I bet we've had USM circled for awhile too. I'm expecting us to play well. UAB with Polk is not going to be a cakewalk either- he's going to want to beat us. Both are better teams than Youngstown State.

The UAB one is a concern for me. And I do agree after last year I think we've penciled in USM as an annihilate them at all costs series. I think we beat them pretty well. Maybe one close game but I think this team breaks them down.

BrunswickDawg
02-17-2019, 02:03 PM

But, we did what we should do with Youngstown - and we haven't always been able to say that. So I'll take that as a good initial sign anyway.

Choctaw Dawg
02-17-2019, 02:32 PM

Self's fastball is not quite hitting the speeds he normally hit in the past but he's still in recovery. I wouldn't expect him to pitch in big time situations until midseason.

Saltydog
02-17-2019, 02:48 PM
consistent throwing strikes, he could arguably be better than Ginn. Most of the day, JT was in the 89-91 range on his fb. Cerantola was in the 91-93 range.

preachermatt83
02-17-2019, 03:07 PM
consistent throwing strikes, he could arguably be better than Ginn. Most of the day, JT was in the 89-91 range on his fb. Cerantola was in the 91-93 range.

According to a real radar gun Ginn was 93-95 and Cerantola was 95-97

msbulldog
02-17-2019, 03:08 PM

Damn sure owe USM a sweep and huge run spreads, I want to beat them bad and put them in their place!

I seen it dawg
02-17-2019, 03:11 PM
Agree.

Hess is a reliever. I just don't think he's very good. Never have. I think the FR Marceaux will eventually start on Friday. I also don't think LSU is anywhere near the #1 team. 7-12 IMO

Yeah they've done that kid a disservice. He can make money as a reliever. And he would help their team more. Agree on Marceaux but they did their usual and ran him up to 90 pitches and he struggled in the 6th instead of just getting him out in the 5th in the 70 pitch range. Walker getting back is big for them and he looked good.

They have a couple of big holes I think. Mainieri has lost a little too I think. They won't make Omaha and may not make it out of a regional if Hess doesn't magically turn into an ace starter.

ShotgunDawg
02-17-2019, 03:17 PM
Yeah they've done that kid a disservice. He can make money as a reliever. And he would help their team more. Agree on Marceaux but they did their usual and ran him up to 90 pitches and he struggled in the 6th instead of just getting him out in the 5th in the 70 pitch range. Walker getting back is big for them and he looked good.

They have a couple of big holes I think. Mainieri has lost a little too I think. They won't make Omaha and may not make it out of a regional if Hess doesn't magically turn into an ace starter.

Agree.

Their lineup is pretty good, although Hughes and Bianco wouldn't start for us but Duplantis, Cabrera, and Smith would.

They are solid. Just not near #1

AlSwearengen
02-17-2019, 03:35 PM
Self's fastball is not quite hitting the speeds he normally hit in the past but he's still in recovery. I wouldn't expect him to pitch in big time situations until midseason.

Yeah, Self doesn’t have the velocity that he did his freshman year. I hope we didn’t pitch him too much that year and he is paying for it now. If we could get him back to where he was, he can get lefties out and could close if needed. He was good as a freshman.

I seen it dawg
02-17-2019, 04:20 PM
Agree.

Their lineup is pretty good, although Hughes and Bianco wouldn't start for us but Duplantis, Cabrera, and Smith would.

They are solid. Just not near #1

Cabrera has a shot to be SEC POY if Watson hits at all.

WSOPdawg
02-17-2019, 05:36 PM

Tanner Allen says "Hold my beer."

weblow
02-17-2019, 06:02 PM
Was told that our radar gun isn?t dialed in yet. Last year it was due to temporary mounting and now we are working with the company to perfect the location. I cannot remember which but it is more accurate for lefthanders and less for right the way it is dialed in now.

They are having trouble with location to get good reads on both lefty?s and righty?s and different arm slots. Said it may take a few weekends to dial it in better.

ShotgunDawg
02-17-2019, 06:59 PM

Agree. Cabrera is the real deal

ShotgunDawg
02-17-2019, 07:00 PM
Was told that our radar gun isn?t dialed in yet. Last year it was due to temporary mounting and now we are working with the company to perfect the location. I cannot remember which but it is more accurate for lefthanders and less for right the way it is dialed in now.

They are having trouble with location to get good reads on both lefty?s and righty?s and different arm slots. Said it may take a few weekends to dial it in better.

So turn it off until then so our players aren't embarrassed

weblow
02-17-2019, 07:53 PM
So turn it off until then so our players aren't embarrassed

It was off all last year too. They will get it dialed in.

Don’t think that number on the radar embarrassed anyone this weekend. We filled the zone and were dominant on the mound.

Would have been more embarrassing to have that gun register triple digits and walk every other batter.

Don’t think anyone on the staff left the game embarrassed this weekend. Was there for all 3 games. Think they felt just fine about how the weekend went.

They will get it dialed in but it will never match what the scouts are showing on their guns.

I seen it dawg
02-17-2019, 08:45 PM
Agree. Cabrera is the real deal

He's their next Bregman. May be better.

ShotgunDawg
02-17-2019, 08:55 PM
He's their next Bregman. May be better.

Just limited by position. Bregman is far more valuable due to playing SS, 2B, & 3B.

Cabrera is limited to LF & RF. Certainly a 1st rounder, but more 5-15 than top 5.

Martin at Arkansas is better & Kjerstad is very similar

msstate7
02-17-2019, 08:56 PM

How much is a radar gun? I know the braves have separate guns for L and R.

Todd4State
02-17-2019, 09:58 PM
How much is a radar gun? I know the braves have separate guns for L and R.

https://pitchingmachinesale.com/brands/stalker-radar.html

Or maybe we get some from the Mississippi Highway Patrol Louisville, MS division so they'll stop giving our fans speeding tickets.

Bunch of assholes.

msstate7
02-17-2019, 10:15 PM

Or maybe we get some from the Mississippi Highway Patrol Louisville, MS division so they'll stop giving our fans speeding tickets.

Bunch of assholes.

Let's just assume they're even $5,000 a piece. With the investment in the new stadium, that should be nothing. Get 1 for left and right

Choctaw Dawg
02-17-2019, 10:37 PM
Jim Ellis said something yesterday on radio that Christian McCleod is sick and wont be back till midseason, I don't know what he has but it must be serious.

msbulldog
02-17-2019, 10:38 PM
Mono.

Todd4State
02-17-2019, 11:36 PM
Let's just assume they're even $5,000 a piece. With the investment in the new stadium, that should be nothing. Get 1 for left and right

No doubt. We could hit up one of our young cigar boys for a couple easy. Or one of our young MLB players.

Or Gene.**

Jim Ellis said something yesterday on radio that Christian McCleod is sick and wont be back till midseason, I don't know what he has but it must be serious.

May be redshirted this year. We'll have to see where he is when he gets better but with mono if that is indeed what he has and the baseball season being "short" in college I can't see him being strong enough to contribute a lot.

The Federalist Engineer
02-18-2019, 07:06 AM
Damn sure owe USM a sweep and huge run spreads, I want to beat them bad and put them in their place!

They know their place, last year was Cannizzaro's personal catastrophe after we fixed our problems we went Omaha and did things no USM team could ever do

sleepy dawg
02-18-2019, 10:06 AM

I think Purdue and Southern are better than that. USM lost very little, plus supposedly Matt Walner has his velocity back. He didn't pitch this past weekend, but should against us and is expected to be a starter. The USM series will be tough, for sure. I'll be very happy with 2 out of 3.

louisvilledawg
02-18-2019, 10:48 AM

Bunch of assholes.

Hey don't badmouth such a great city.

(I do agree though. I know a MHP from louisville that gave his own mother a ticket right outside louisville about 2 miles from where that normal speed trap is.)

Todd4State
02-18-2019, 12:10 PM
I think Purdue and Southern are better than that. USM lost very little, plus supposedly Matt Walner has his velocity back. He didn't pitch this past weekend, but should against us and is expected to be a starter. The USM series will be tough, for sure. I'll be very happy with 2 out of 3.

Not sure how long he will go. Word is he has a forearm strain.

Todd4State
02-18-2019, 12:11 PM
Hey don't badmouth such a great city.

(I do agree though. I know a MHP from louisville that gave his own mother a ticket right outside louisville about 2 miles from where that normal speed trap is.)

The city is fine. The MHP- not so much.

Commercecomet24
02-18-2019, 03:51 PM

Bunch of assholes.

I got one there coming back from a game about 6 years ago lol.

BuckyIsAB****
02-18-2019, 07:43 PM

Ginn hasnt thrown 89 mph since he was in the 9th grade. If our gun is that bad we need to replace it ASAP

MaroonBelle
02-18-2019, 07:49 PM
https://twitter.com/j_aguiar_/status/1097658376257978369

I have no idea how to get this whole twitter image to post but you all should follow this guy if you twitter. He keeps stats and tech for Baseball and is charting exit velocities and pitching velo for top performers.

louisvilledawg
02-19-2019, 10:14 AM
https://twitter.com/j_aguiar_/status/1097658376257978369

I have no idea how to get this whole twitter image to post but you all should follow this guy if you twitter. He keeps stats and tech for Baseball and is charting exit velocities and pitching velo for top performers.

Good guy too. Known him for years.