PDA

View Full Version : Question for the board

Dawgfan77
10-20-2013, 09:01 AM
Why do other teams seem to have more success with the WR getting open than we do. We hear in preseason how much of a beast Ross and Wilson are yet we only see flashes during the year. Watching the games yesterday it seemed that the routs being run were crossing patters, fades, and comback routs with a few post and fly patters thrown in. When I watch our WR it looks like we only run routs where we just run to a spot then sit and wait for the qb to throw it. To me we hardly ever try and get our WR's in space. When Dan and Billy were at UF they always tried to get the WR in space, hell even at Utah with Smith they ran short routs with bubble screens and crossing patterns, why dont we do it now. Either our scheme with the WR is very difficult to understand or we are really lacking in talent

Will James
10-20-2013, 09:02 AM
Might have something to do with........... Coaching

Coach 57
10-20-2013, 09:04 AM
Uh, are you kidding? Have you seen down the field after Dak has had a big run? They are WIDE OPEN in single coverage because the safety has to honor him around the box.

Dawgfan77
10-20-2013, 09:17 AM
Uh No I am not kidding you. The WR could be running open all the live long day but what good does it do when you dont throw it to them? The question is why are we not utilizing the skills we have. I understand we are a run first spread, but we can still throw the ball. If you watched any football yesterday you saw teams with similar talent to us utilize there skill players better than we do. I am not trying to get in a pissing match with you, but again what good does it do when the WR are running wide open if we dont throw it to them?

Political Hack
10-20-2013, 09:37 AM
Tyler hit Wilson against LSU. Not sure the safety was honorin the QB's running ability there, but we still managed to get him in a one on one matchup. it's amazing to me that people now act like an offense can't work unless you can run with your QB. Coaches have been getting players in mismatches for years without a running QB, but all of a sudden that's the only way to do it. it's laziness IMO. Use a little motion and confuse them with personnel sets and have our best arm throwing into that one on one match up.

msstate7
10-20-2013, 09:47 AM
Tyler hit Wilson against LSU. Not sure the safety was honorin the QB's running ability there, but we still managed to get him in a one on one matchup. it's amazing to me that people now act like an offense can't work unless you can run with your QB. Coaches have been getting players in mismatches for years without a running QB, but all of a sudden that's the only way to do it. it's laziness IMO. Use a little motion and confuse them with personnel sets and have our best arm throwing into that one on one match up.

I'm not saying don't play TR, but our most physical runner isn't in the game when TR is. We've got to find the right mix between the two. We also can't become predictable. When TR is in we have to run the zone read some. When dak is in we have to throw downfield.

I'd like to see us move TR out of the pocket on 3rd and longs. Teams blitz us like crazy and TR is a sitting duck.

TR has to anticipate throws more -- throw the receiver open. He also needs to use his hot reads better

BHildreth3
10-20-2013, 10:02 AM

Also, for years we are just making it too complicated for WRs. Like Hack said - use motion, disguise with different personnel sets, etc. There are a ton of teams that only call 5-10 passing plays that players can learn. The difference is they run them out of different sets and formations. (TTech, Washington St, Ole Miss does this as well - just to name a few)

ShotgunDawg
10-20-2013, 10:04 AM

My problem with Tyler isn't that we can't run him, it's that he can't move in the pocket and doesn't get rid of the ball. We need a QB that can manipulate the pocket because and can avoid sacks. Thats my problem

BulldogBear
10-20-2013, 10:13 AM
Also, for years we are just making it too complicated for WRs. Like Hack said - use motion, disguise with different personnel sets, etc. There are a ton of teams that only call 5-10 passing plays that players can learn. The difference is they run them out of different sets and formations. (TTech, Washington St, Ole Miss does this as well - just to name a few)

This^