PDA

View Full Version : Tyson Carter

Dawg61
02-17-2019, 02:47 AM
was phenomenal tonight at the PG position. It's possible our best lineup is Tyson, Q, Woodard, Perry, Ado.

CadaverDawg
02-17-2019, 03:01 AM
was phenomenal tonight at the PG position. It's possible our best lineup is Tyson, Q, Woodard, Perry, Ado.

He definitely looked comfortable with the reigns removed. Like he was finally able to just go score instead of being a role player. It was fun to watch, I'm happy for him, and he played damn good. Should definitely provide us more options with or without Nick.

Lamar Ervin is just too inconsistent. Holman is a spark off the bench...for our opponents. So I think you may be right with that lineup depending on the matchup.

Ifyouonlyknew
02-17-2019, 07:44 AM

No you're just a prisoner of the moment. The last 5 games Tyson has been almost non-existent. Tyson played great but let's not oversell this 1 game. I'm thankful we have an upperclassmen capable of stepping up & starting when needed. We don't want Tyson starting at PG that's not a positive for the team.

RiverCityDawg
02-17-2019, 08:09 AM
No you're just a prisoner of the moment. The last 5 games Tyson has been almost non-existent. Tyson played great but let's not oversell this 1 game. I'm thankful we have an upperclassmen capable of stepping up & starting when needed. We don't want Tyson starting at PG that's not a positive for the team.

I agree. He was great last night. He's played a little at the point at times earlier in the year when Nick or Lamar have been in foul trouble early or when Nick has been hurt and this is the first time it didn't look like a complete mess. We need Lamar to play up to his potential if we really want to make a run. Glad Tyson was there to pick us up last night.

klong-dog
02-17-2019, 09:29 AM
Well, 3 games ago, Tyson had 12 pts at the half against LSU and kept us in that game and then hardly played any in the second half. Same for Woodard that game.

Ifyouonlyknew
02-17-2019, 09:34 AM
Well, 3 games ago, Tyson had 12 pts at the half against LSU and kept us in that game and then hardly played any in the second half. Same for Woodard that game.

Sorry 4 out of 5 games. This wasn't meant to be a knock on Tyson at all. We just don't need Tyson playing PG for a ton of minutes.

msstate7
02-17-2019, 09:50 AM
Tyson has been a good offensive player.

Here's pts per min leaders for the team:
1. Q - .54
2. Tyson - .416
3. Perry - .412

Ifyouonlyknew
02-17-2019, 09:58 AM
Tyson has been a good offensive player.

Here's pts per min leaders for the team:
1. Q - .54
2. Tyson - .416
3. Perry - .412

I'm not complaining about him playing or scoring. I don't want him running point for a ton of minutes. Spot minutes fine extended minutes no thanks.

klong-dog
02-17-2019, 10:19 AM
While he's not the ball handler and facilitator Lamar is, I like when he's aggressive and is pulling up for the shot. I hope Lamar can be more consistent down the stretch for us. We can be elite if he can find his overall game. I'm hoping the wrist issue is getting better each game.

Howboutdemdogs
02-17-2019, 10:37 AM
I believe that Tyson can run the offense at anytime. I think what goes against him is his size, this is what is holding him back. In my opinion, it is just a perception issue. Carter is a baller!

Ari Gold
02-17-2019, 10:44 AM
Tyson did a tremendous job last night.. also Q ran the point some..
Saying that neither are as good at the point as Nick.. Need him back . He brings so much to this team that doesn’t always show up in the box score

dawgday166
02-17-2019, 10:52 AM
Thought Tyson did a great job. It's only 1 game but thought the whole team was energized and played well, and I think he had a lot to do with that. If Lamar plays his best he's better, but Lamar rarely plays his best. For every good thing he does, he then does something not so good. And, while I haven't watched every moment of every game, I don't think I've ever seen Nick run the point that well. Tyson also has more length than either Lamar or Nick.

basedog
02-17-2019, 10:56 AM
Tyson did a tremendous job last night.. also Q ran the point some..
Saying that neither are as good at the point as Nick.. Need him back . He brings so much to this team that doesn’t always show up in the box score

Correct, Tyson had game last night, but Lamar is very important and is a natural point guard. His problem as we all see is his head. He gets down on himself and presses way too much. Benching him now would destroy the locker room IMO, you just have to calm him down and try and make him understand what he is doing wrong, Howland is great with handling him and a few others. Hollering and screaming at players isn't always the thing to do. I like Howland style, he has a calmness which has benefitted this team. We need Lamar to play within, don't fool yourself thinking we don't.

CadaverDawg
02-17-2019, 10:56 AM
Thought Tyson did a great job. It's only 1 game but thought the whole team was energized and played well, and I think he had a lot to do with that. If Lamar plays his best he's better, but Lamar rarely plays his best. For every good thing he does, he then does something not so good. And, while I haven't watched every moment of every game, I don't think I've ever seen Nick run the point that well. Tyson also has more length than either Lamar or Nick.

I agree, especially about the length. He and Q up top on D were causing major problems for Arkansas

shannondawg
02-17-2019, 10:57 AM
Does anyone really think that Howland plans to replace Nick or Peters at point with Carter? It was a fill the gap situation and it worked out.

Fishback called him mvp last night, does anyone really not think so?

dawgday166
02-17-2019, 10:59 AM
I agree, especially about the length. He and Q up top on D were causing major problems for Arkansas

Absolutely. That might've been the best defensive game we've played overall. It's certainly in top 2 or 3. I like seeing teams held to 70 or less (prefer mid to low-60s).

Ifyouonlyknew
02-17-2019, 11:03 AM
Absolutely. That might've been the best defensive game we've played overall. It's certainly in top 2 or 3. I like seeing teams held to 70 or less (prefer mid to low-60s).

It was the 2nd best defensive performance of the week but we played great D the 2nd half.

CadaverDawg
02-17-2019, 11:06 AM
Does anyone really think that Howland plans to replace Nick or Peters at point with Carter? It was a fill the gap situation and it worked out.

Fishback called him mvp last night, does anyone really not think so?

I don't think anyone truly thinks he will, but I've never understood the praise for Lamar. I get it, he's flashy and skilled, highly recruited, and can get hot at times...but he's also too emotional, turns it over too much, and can be awful when he isn't hot bc he throws up some really bad 3's. He also can't seem to finish at the rim very well. I joke about the Gary Ervin comparisons, but if you look at the stats, outside of averaging 2 points per game more in his career, they're the same guy. Both averaged 4 assists and 2-3 TO's per game, and believe it or not Ervin had the same 3pt% and FT%. Now obviously, Peters has more upside and isn't done yet so he can improve, and I'm not saying you bench him by any means. We need him to play and play well...I just think it's a little interesting how we all bashed Ervin and most praise Peters, when Peters is 10ppg Ervin instead of 8ppg Ervin.

PSA: I'm Not trying to hijack this thread, and I'm not being negative...just pointing out some interesting coincidental numbers and discussing. Carry on

Dawg61
02-17-2019, 11:07 AM
I didn't say Howland would run that starting 5 I said it might be our best starting 5. We see how slow Howland's been to adding Woodard into the games. Carter, Q, Woodard, Perry, Ado wrecked Arkansas last night. Peters went out with 3 fouls at the 18 min mark and then those 5 absolutely destroyed Arkansas for the next ten minutes. UA couldn't make a shot and turned it over about a dozen times almost in that same stretch.

basedog
02-17-2019, 11:11 AM
It was the 2nd best defensive performance of the week but we played great D the 2nd half.

And playing the 3 big men second half was a great move as the Hogs had no answer. Btw, I've always like Mike Anderson but I'm thinking his days are numbered, last year Hog nation was ready to get rid of him, I imagine there are rumblings.

dawgday166
02-17-2019, 11:11 AM

Earlier in the week was played where?? And we played really good D in the 1st half until last 3 minutes or so, then got a little lackadaisical. Looking back it's probably our 3rd best overall in SEC play, with the other being Vandy. Might throw the 2nd KY game in there too.

I'm not saying make a switch to Tyson, but my hook on Lamar & Nick might be quicker going forward if I'm the coach. And I really like the length of playing Tyson & Q at the 1 & 2.

basedog
02-17-2019, 11:17 AM
Having interchangeable players is a big asset, it can change the tempo for the opposing team who doesn't have the depth Howland has built. Basketball is such a team sport in my eyes! Players have to buy in to the system and Howland has been great with that approach, doesn't always work but it's his style.

Ifyouonlyknew
02-17-2019, 11:18 AM
I don't think anyone truly thinks he will, but I've never understood the praise for Lamar. I get it, he's flashy and skilled, highly recruited, and can get hot at times...but he's also too emotional, turns it over too much, and can be awful when he isn't hot bc he throws up some really bad 3's. He also can't seem to finish at the rim very well. I joke about the Gary Ervin comparisons, but if you look at the stats, outside of averaging 2 points per game more in his career, they're the same guy. Both averaged 4 assists and 2-3 TO's per game, and believe it or not Ervin had the same 3pt% and FT%. Now obviously, Peters has more upside and isn't done yet so he can improve, and I'm not saying you bench him by any means. We need him to play and play well...I just think it's a little interesting how we all bashed Ervin and most praise Peters, when Peters is 10ppg Ervin instead of 8ppg Ervin.

PSA: I'm Not trying to hijack this thread, and I'm not being negative...just pointing out some interesting coincidental numbers and discussing. Carry on

Lamar avg over 5 assists per game with an almost 2:1 assist/turnover ratio. He also shoots almost 40% from 3. The offense runs a lot more smoother & efficient when he's on the court. Yes he over penetrates sometimes & will take an ill advised 3 here or there but he's by far the best option at PG. Last night Tyson did a great job & Nick has as well during times this season but the offense is noticeably & clearly better when Lamar is running the show.

Ifyouonlyknew
02-17-2019, 11:19 AM
Earlier in the week was played where?? And we played really good D in the 1st half until last 3 minutes or so, then got a little lackadaisical. Looking back it's probably our 3rd best overall in SEC play, with the other being Vandy. Might throw the 2nd KY game in there too.

I'm not saying make a switch to Tyson, but my hook on Lamar & Nick might be quicker going forward if I'm the coach. And I really like the length of playing Tyson & Q at the 1 & 2.

Fair enough & not knocking your opinion I just think these are prisoner of the moment posts.

CadaverDawg
02-17-2019, 11:21 AM
Lamar avg over 5 assists per game with an almost 2:1 assist/turnover ratio. He also shoots almost 40% from 3. The offense runs a lot more smoother & efficient when he's on the court. Yes he over penetrates sometimes & will take an ill advised 3 here or there but he's by far the best option at PG. Last night Tyson did a great job & Nick has as well during times this season but the offense is noticeably & clearly better when Lamar is running the show.

I don't really agree. But I'll agree to disagree. For every good play he makes 1-2 bad ones imo. Give me Nick or Tyson on the floor in crunch time. I may not get the Superman play, but I'm less likely to get an out of control charge, turnover, or bad decision 3 jacked up.

CadaverDawg
02-17-2019, 11:23 AM
Fair enough & not knocking your opinion I just think these are prisoner of the moment posts.

I agree the Tyson comments are due to him playing more lastnight, but how do we know it's not something he can do consistently? We've never really tried. Either way, I think we win bc it gives Carter confidence and provides us one more option if needed at PG. especially if Nick is out longer than expected

dawgday166
02-17-2019, 11:28 AM

The sample size is too small IMO. Tyson was 7/15 with 4 ast and 2 TOs last night plus 3 rebounds. And IMO Arkansas was really playing some good D for most of game, baskets weren't coming that easily.

Lamar has backed off to being more of a distributor which is good, but at crucial times he makes some crucial mistakes IMO. He's also too emotional and might be the king of the blown pt blank layup.

Either way, this might be a blessing in disguise. If Lamar is having an off game or getting too emotional, Howland may have another option now if he'll try it. And he might have another option depending on the matchups with the other team too.

dawgday166
02-17-2019, 11:30 AM

I did say it was only 1 game. But in a hostile environment and Arky playing really good D for most of game, I thought he played really well.

chef dixon
02-17-2019, 11:31 AM
I think overall we are over-valuing individual players. Both Nick and Tyson. The only guy I think goes down and our team takes a huge hit right now is Q. He has been the best player in the conference for the last couple of weeks.

Ifyouonlyknew
02-17-2019, 12:07 PM
I did say it was only 1 game. But in a hostile environment and Arky playing really good D for most of game, I thought he played really well.

He did play well no doubt but I think his running of the team is being a bit overblown. The 2nd half when we really took off it was done mainly in transition. We forced a ton of turnovers which lead to easy buckets & not having to just walk the ball up & play half court offense near as much.

Dawg61
02-17-2019, 12:09 PM

Is it really a prisoner of the moment example though? Tyson had a 35 point game and 25 point game last year. He's had 14 games of 15 or more points in his MSU career. He is a gifted scorer. Probably our 2nd best scorer on the team only behind Q. Wanting more minutes for Tyson in no way is a knock on Lamar or Nick. I just want to see Tyson getting more minutes and I think a 23-1 run on the road at Arkansas with Tyson being the leader of it deserves getting rewarded.

Ifyouonlyknew
02-17-2019, 12:12 PM
Is it really a prisoner of the moment example though? Tyson had a 35 point game and 25 point game last year. He's had 14 games of 15 or more points in his MSU career. He is a gifted scorer. Probably our 2nd best scorer on the team only behind Q. Wanting more minutes for Tyson in no way is a knock on Lamar or Nick. I just want to see Tyson getting more minutes and I think a 23-1 run on the road at Arkansas with Tyson being the leader of it deserves getting rewarded.

Again I've never once said anything about Tyson's scoring or shooting. This is only concerning Tyson playing the point for a majority of his minutes.

HoopsDawg
02-17-2019, 12:13 PM
We've played some of our best ball with Lamar on the bench. 2nd half at Vandy and 2nd half at Arkansas. I don't want Tyson to be our PG and Lamar is a key player in our rotation. But it's something to think about.

Also, did everyone notice we only played 7 guys and no one played tired. That's something else for Howland to consider when nick comes back.

Dawg61
02-17-2019, 12:15 PM
He did play well no doubt but I think his running of the team is being a bit overblown. The 2nd half when we really took off it was done mainly in transition. We forced a ton of turnovers which lead to easy buckets & not having to just walk the ball up & play half court offense near as much.

A huge part of it was Arkansas missing 13 straight fgs and turning it over 5 times during that 8 minute stretch and the reason for it imo is the point in thread opening post I made. Tyson, Q, Woodard, Perry and Ado absolutely shutdown Arkansas last night. They couldn't do anything against those 5. That lineup gives us a size advantage at all 5 spots against almost every team we will face except Kentucky and two guys on Tennessee.

Dawg61
02-17-2019, 12:17 PM
We've played some of our best ball with Lamar on the bench. 2nd half at Vandy and 2nd half at Arkansas. I don't want Tyson to be our PG and Lamar is a key player in our rotation. But it's something to think about.

Also, did everyone notice we only played 7 guys and no one played tired. That's something else for Howland to consider when nick comes back.

We were gassed at the 8 minute mark in the 2nd half. It's why Howland took two timeouts between the 8 minute and 4 minute tv breaks. Howland btw was a master with his timeouts and subs last night. Guess only having 7 guys and one of them in foul trouble made it easier for him not to mess it up.

basedog
02-17-2019, 12:18 PM
The point of us winning last night was we are just a better team. Great team effort, also Howland > Anderson.

HoopsDawg
02-17-2019, 12:41 PM
40 minute game. 8 automatic tv timeouts. Another 5 coaches timeouts, 8 to 10 total. A halftime. It's very easy to play with 7 guys if they avoid foul trouble. We only played 3 guys more than 30 minutes. Tyson played the whole 2nd half.

dawgday166
02-17-2019, 12:53 PM

Don't disagree but thought we ran in transition as well or better with him than either Lamar or Nick. D was stifling and led to a lot of easy baskets ... and we didn't miss those opps with blown layups or dunks. To me those are the type of teams that play tournaments well. I like his length a lot. The lob from Q to Tyson for the dunk in transition may happen with Nick, don't think it happens with Lamar, and it was easier with Tyson than both the others. He can get up, is taller, and has long arms. Tyson also plays within himself IMO, and both Lamar & Nick try to do too much too many times also IMO. For the most part I've always thought Tyson should get more minutes.

Thought we did pretty decent in half court too, considering that Arky was really in the hip pockets of our players in the half court all night for most part. They played really good half-court D for the most part. It might be a 1 game wonder but I'm thinking (and hopeful) it's not. We'll see going forward.

Just as an aside ... that was probably the toughest we've played all year IMO. Most enjoyable game I've watched. We beat Bama by 19 by pulling away late, when we should've been up by 20 early in 2nd half and beat them by 30. I wanted to pull my hair out for most of Bama game LOL. Arky played much better D on us than Bama did. Might be the first time I felt there was really good chemistry with a group of 5 (Tyson, Q, Woodard, Perry, Ado). And when Arky had a couple of big moments we didn't get down and fall a little apart either. We played tough for almost the whole game, and shared the ball really well too. Team defense and team offense was good (with exception of about final 3 mins of 1st half) and we seem to have a hard time doing both at same time for most of the year. I have scratched my head all year over we're either good on D, or good on O, but not both at same time.

Be interesting to see what happens going forward. I don't think Arky is that bad a team (especially at home) but we'll see with remainder of SEC slate. I'm not ready just yet to get overly ecstatic with our tourney potential (it's just one game), but I feel a little better today than I did earlier in the week.

From here on out is when it really counts and if we hit our stride now, that should bode well come tourney time.

Goldendawg
02-17-2019, 03:58 PM
If Nick is out a while and Peters gets in foul trouble or out of control, we could move Holman to the point.***

shannondawg
02-17-2019, 06:27 PM
If Nick is out a while and Peters gets in foul trouble or out of control, we could move Holman to the point.***

Keen eye!!!!

WPS
02-18-2019, 12:34 PM
And playing the 3 big men second half was a great move as the Hogs had no answer. Btw, I've always like Mike Anderson but I'm thinking his days are numbered, last year Hog nation was ready to get rid of him, I imagine there are rumblings.

I think he gets one more year but I can?t see Arkansas being much better next season without Gafford (even though literally everyone else returns). I think the writing is on the wall.

mstatefan91
02-18-2019, 02:18 PM
Well, one thing is for sure. Carter no longer looks like an overgrown 10 year old. He looks like an overgrown 13 year old now.. He's making progress in more than one way!

Dawg61
02-18-2019, 03:00 PM
Well, one thing is for sure. Carter no longer looks like an overgrown 10 year old. He looks like an overgrown 13 year old now.. He's making progress in more than one way!

Lol Tyson is gonna still get carded until he's about 55.

StarkVegasSteve
02-18-2019, 04:24 PM
That lineup probably is our best defensive line up size wise. I still think if you sub Nick for Tyson in that lineup and see no drop. Nick is a damn DAWG on defense. Reminds me of Tony Allen in that way. But kudos to Howland for pushing the right buttons. I've b****** about his subbing just about every game since conference play started, but I thought he subbed and planned TO's masterfully in the second half on Saturday. If he's coaching like that and we're playing like that defensively we become a VERY dangerous team.

louisvilledawg
02-19-2019, 10:21 AM
I didn't get to watch the game Saturday so i'll have to rewatch it tonight or sometime this week, but how did we shut down Gafford? Who guarded him? That dude is a stud! I know they had one guy go off for 30, but any time you can hold the dunk machine Gafford to less than half his average, you must've been doing something great!