PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Opening Weekend

I seen it dawg
02-16-2019, 08:05 PM
Post them here...I'll have a detailed post a little later

msstate7
02-16-2019, 08:10 PM
I think this is a 2016 team again. Hopefully we don't run into a red hot team in the supers this year

AlSwearengen
02-16-2019, 08:10 PM
I’m going to hold out final adjustment until they have been in the fire some more, but it looks like we have more pitching than i was expecting.

KOdawg1
02-16-2019, 08:17 PM
We can rake. We can pitch. We're good.

That is all.

Rick Danko
02-16-2019, 08:21 PM
Obviously mindful of the opponent. That said, impressed with our hitting. Impressed with ability to score runs. Impressed with how our pitchers shut them down. Impressed with Friday night not panicking. Sophomores seem to have taken a BIG step. Mangum is mangum. Small looked solid. Ginn showed composure for a freshman that faced adversity first inning. Allen is going to turn heads this year, he was my preseason breakout star.

TNDawg35
02-16-2019, 08:22 PM
- Hayden Jones need to catch
- Colby White is gonna be good
- Ginn is a hoss, I want to see him hit.
- Our line up is solid. RIGHT NOW, I don’t see that glaring hole like we have had in the past.
- Keegan James looked good today

-LSU isn’t as good as the hype.
- Vandy is plain nasty
- Ole Piss still sucks donkey d***

MetEdDawg
02-16-2019, 08:29 PM
Our lineup has one hole and that's when Skelton hits. Jones is gonna be the starter before this thing is over.

Our pitching is deep. We've got a ton of guys with plus stuff and we've got 3 really solid weekend starters.

Cerantola is a guaranteed first rounder if he can find more FB control.

Our lineup can rake. We've got power all through and you can't take a break. Been a while since that happened. Westburg, Allen, Macnamee is a nasty thing to run through, but having to do it after you face Mangum and Rowdy is damned hard. Landon Jordan is the real deal too.

We are young but have mercy are we talented. Again, it's Youngstown State, but you look at how these young kids carried themselves all week. Confident energy. This team is really good but you should be able to see that we've got a solid 3 years with what's on the roster right now to compete at the highest level.

Commercecomet24
02-16-2019, 08:34 PM
This team is very balanced. Starting rotation, bullpen, pop in the lineup, some speed, solid defensively. Not a lot of holes and I like ir.

AlSwearengen
02-16-2019, 08:38 PM
-I thought Skelton looked vastly improved defensively and he hit the ball pretty well. I’d like to see he and Jones basically split the catching duties.
-Hopefully Halter gets more comfortable and progresses both in the field and at the plate. 2B to me is the only weak spot right now. I do think once he gets some time under his belt he will be pretty good.
-People saying that Tanner Allen had improved weren’t lying. He looks locked in every time he is up.
-I think the only place that we aren’t better is middle infield defense.

ShotgunDawg
02-16-2019, 08:44 PM
- Omaha caliber team
- Look stronger and more physical than we have in a while.
- Best team since 2016
- Small - Solid Friday guy
- Ginn -Good stuff and strike thrower. Hope he doesn't get hurt. Has effort in delivery with small hook. Sonny Gray like
- K James - Above average Sunday guy.
- Cerantola - Not ready control wise for weekend job but would start on mid-week for now. Him clicking is the difference between Omaha contender and national championship contender. Not sure if he's Chris Carpenter, Josh Johnson, Josh Beckett, or AJ Burnett but he's one of them. Top of the draft talent that just needs harnessing.
- Bullpen is deep with power arms, lefties, and sinker ballers. Lots of competition
- Halter is a good 9 hole hitter with doubles power. Good defender with a strong arm for double plays.
- Hayden Jones will eventually win the catching job, but I'm good with him earning it.

Strengths - we are past our Tommy John issues and now have incredible depth and power arms. Lineup lacks a 1st round hitter but is incredibly deep. No free out.

Weaknesses - No 1st round caliber hitter. This team go through a few hitting slumps.

New pitching approach - Foxhall likes pitching up in the zone and using guy's spin rates. Love it.

ShotgunDawg
02-16-2019, 08:59 PM
If you want to get incredibly excited, look at the quality of the freshmen and the direction the program is going.

We are going to have every chance to win a natty in the next 5 years.

Commercecomet24
02-16-2019, 09:05 PM
- Omaha caliber team
- Look stronger and more physical than we have in a while.
- Best team since 2016
- Small - Solid Friday guy
- Ginn -Good stuff and strike thrower. Hope he doesn't get hurt. Has effort in delivery with small hook. Sonny Gray like
- K James - Above average Sunday guy.
- Cerantola - Not ready control wise for weekend job but would start on mid-week for now. Him clicking is the difference between Omaha contender and national championship contender. Not sure if he's Chris Carpenter, Josh Johnson, Josh Beckett, or AJ Burnett but he's one of them. Top of the draft talent that just needs harnessing.
- Bullpen is deep with power arms, lefties, and sinker ballers. Lots of competition
- Halter is a good 9 hole hitter with doubles power. Good defender with a strong arm for double plays.
- Hayden Jones will eventually win the catching job, but I'm good with him earning it.

Strengths - we are past our Tommy John issues and now have incredible depth and power arms. Lineup lacks a 1st round hitter but is incredibly deep. No free out.

Weaknesses - No 1st round caliber hitter. This team go through a few hitting slumps.

New pitching approach - Foxhall likes pitching up in the zone and using guy's spin rates. Love it.

Agree 100%. I also love that lemonis let's his players play and coaches coach. Aggressive swinging it, running the bases and pitching. Great approach by a HC

ShotgunDawg
02-16-2019, 09:14 PM
Westburg - Better than I thought at SS. Not a star defender but has efficient, simple actions that should allow him to be consistent and make routine plays. Reminds me of Paul DeJong with the Cardinals.

Also with us pitching up in the zone more, look for more fly balls, which plays to the strength of our defense.

I seen it dawg
02-16-2019, 10:38 PM
It's Youngstown but we did what really good teams do and that's beat their ass.

C- Hayden Jones is the varsity and Skelton jv. Jones receives better already and obviously throws better. Jones just has to hit a little and we need to be smart with his innings (Ari) so he doesn't hit a wall. Skelton is a good backup.
1B - Tanner can rake
2b - Hakter can be a good 9 hole for us if he will keep taking what pitchers give him. With Jake behind him he will have opportunities. He won't be Stovall but he will be good enough defensively and way above average 2b arm.
SS - I wanted this all last yr and he's finally the man. Westburg can be all sec.
3b - gonna be most underrated hitter in our lineup. He will get some big hits. Will play above average defense.
OF - we know what we have there.

I'm ecstatic with our pitching. Most about the tempo and the way we went right after hitters with heat. Didn't **** around at all which is a welcome change. It's a change in accountability. It's spectacular. We have a ton of great arms and it's gonna be exciting watching them develop.

Next weekend we will see better real competition and will get a better idea of where we are. This is gonna be a fun year. 6th in the West My ass...

Tbonewannabe
02-16-2019, 10:41 PM
Westburg - Better than I thought at SS. Not a star defender but has efficient, simple actions that should allow him to be consistent and make routine plays. Reminds me of Paul DeJong with the Cardinals.

Also with us pitching up in the zone more, look for more fly balls, which plays to the strength of our defense.

He is very athletic for being 6'3". He is a lot more fluid than I thought. A lot of people think that might be his MLB position.

maroonmania
02-16-2019, 11:24 PM

C- Hayden Jones is the varsity and Skelton jv. Jones receives better already and obviously throws better. Jones just has to hit a little and we need to be smart with his innings (Ari) so he doesn't hit a wall. Skelton is a good backup.
1B - Tanner can rake
2b - Hakter can be a good 9 hole for us if he will keep taking what pitchers give him. With Jake behind him he will have opportunities. He won't be Stovall but he will be good enough defensively and way above average 2b arm.
SS - I wanted this all last yr and he's finally the man. Westburg can be all sec.
3b - gonna be most underrated hitter in our lineup. He will get some big hits. Will play above average defense.

I'm ecstatic with our pitching. Most about the tempo and the way we went right after hitters with heat. Didn't **** around at all which is a welcome change. It's a change in accountability. It's spectacular. We have a ton of great arms and it's gonna be exciting watching them develop.

Next weekend we will see better real competition and will get a better idea of where we are. This is gonna be a fun year. 6th in the West My ass...

Watching this team I think there is no doubt they will be really good, the question is can they be great? All I can say is if there are 5 better teams than MSU in the West this year then this will be the best and deepest SEC baseball field in history.

CadaverDawg
02-17-2019, 12:30 AM
I'm ecstatic with our pitching. Most about the tempo and the way we went right after hitters with heat. Didn't **** around at all which is a welcome change. It's a change in accountability. It's spectacular.

This^. The pitching was the highlight to me. The tempo and the lack of nibbling that we saw too much of last year. Our pitchers set the tone, filled up the zone, and were the aggressors. It was a sight for sore eyes.

Todd4State
02-17-2019, 12:47 AM
This team is Omaha caliber. And I think people are seeing why I have been saying that this offseason. Pitching is better and healthy plus we added a first round pick in Ginn. And if Cerentola figures it out by May we're going to be really dangerous. The catching is so much better too. I agree that Hayden Jones will be the starting catcher by the end of the year. I'd like to see Brad Cumbest get more playing time as well. This team has a little bit of everything- power, speed, plays solid defense, and has good arms on the staff. In addition to Ginn and Cerentola I could see Westburg and Cumbest develop into first round picks potentially as well. Cumbest looks like Mark McGwire and runs like a deer. And he can pitch as well. He reminds me of Hunter Renfroe in a tight ends body. Just a very impressive weekend for our team. And it feels like there is stability for the first time in forever.

The ceremonies for Polk, Clark, Palmeiro, Brantley, Ferris, and Dudy Noble were all well done other than messing up the spelling on Palmeiro's plaque. It's good to see Polk back and MSU baseball is better with him as a part of it from a distance. Rumor is he is moving back to Starkville next year and I look for him to be more involved with MSU going forward.

The stadium is unbelievable. It was surreal to be there after seeing only renderings for so long. It really is the best college stadium in America. And I like how MSU's baseball history is displayed throughout. That's one of the best things we can sell to recruits. Just a great weekend all around for MSU baseball!

Todd4State
02-17-2019, 12:50 AM
Oh and something else to think about- our team outside of Mangum, Small, MacNamee, and Keegan is actually pretty young. Meaning most of our players haven't hit their peaks yet. 2020 could be special as well.

gravedigger
02-17-2019, 12:54 AM
Post them here...I'll have a detailed post a little later

I think we should still be focusing on how Cohen embarrassed us all by not hiring someone we all agreed would be a splash hire.

Liverpooldawg
02-17-2019, 01:18 AM
I know nothing of the opponent so I have no idea what conclusions you can draw from the games. I went Friday and one thing is for sure though, the stadium is incredible. We did that one right. It's a really great place to watch a game. We were in the upper deck of the grandstand all the way out on one end. I sat all over the place in the old one over the years and I thought this was the best vantage point I had ever had. It felt like you were sitting right on top of the field. The concourse is going to be something at a packed game. It's broad, it goes all the way around the field. You can see the game from all of it except behind the batter's eye. It's going to be very interesting to see just how many we can put in this place. My guess is the all time record will fall, and unlike the last one, everybody will actually be able to see the game. The look of the place is just fantastic. It's very pleasing to the eye and it has a great vibe. The designers did a fantastic job, both with the overall concept and the details. It's just stunning. Hats off to everyone involved. It's hard to believe it's at MSU.

Ari Gold
02-17-2019, 12:26 PM

1B - Tanner can rake

I.S.I.D is the 2019 version of T.W.I.B.
Good stuff...

Mjoelner34
02-17-2019, 12:58 PM
In my opinion, this is like playing SFA in football. Lose a couple or squeak out a couple of wins, it probably means you're pretty bad but, beating the brakes off of them doesn't necessarily mean you are good. However, we did what good hitting teams should do to weak pitching. I've seen us have to scratch and claw to get runs against bad pitching before but not this weekend. Hopefully that bodes well for the future when the pitching we'll see drastically increases in ability. I also like the size and strength that it looks like we have added. Pitchers attacking the strike zone and going straight after the batters was also pleasing to see. And, as Liverpool stated, the stadium is beyond belief and hearing Palmeiro and Polk talk about the stadium from not just a fan's perspective but from their experiences when speaking about the amenities for the players just further drives home the fact that we have the best facility in college baseball by far.

ShotgunDawg
02-17-2019, 01:00 PM
In my opinion, this is like playing SFA in football. Lose a couple or squeak out a couple of wins, it probably means you're pretty bad but, beating the brakes off of them doesn't necessarily mean you are good. However, we did what good hitting teams should do to weak pitching. I've seen us have to scratch and claw to get runs against bad pitching before but not this weekend. Hopefully that bodes well for the future when the pitching we'll see drastically increases in ability. I also like the size and strength that it looks like we have added. Pitchers attacking the strike zone and going straight after the batters was also pleasing to see. And, as Liverpool stated, the stadium is beyond belief and hearing Palmeiro and Polk talk about the stadium from not just a fan's perspective but from their experiences when speaking about the amenities for the players just further drives home the fact that we have the best facility in college baseball by far.

I understand what you're saying but some of us aren't looking at scores or how we played but rather at the talent of individual players. It doesn't matter who we play when you're looking at talent.

I seen it dawg
02-17-2019, 01:05 PM
I.S.I.D is the 2019 version of T.W.I.B.
Good stuff...

Haha thanks. I'll do my best but that's tough.

I seen it dawg
02-17-2019, 01:08 PM

I get it. But my analysis wasn't based on score. Hell i don't even remember the scores. I reiterate shotguns post above.

Bothrops
02-17-2019, 01:18 PM
From what I've seen so far, I'm impressed. Our lineup looks to be better situated for league play than last year. Pitching looks promising, let's just hope for health and continuity.

Todd4State
02-17-2019, 01:42 PM
I understand what you're saying but some of us aren't looking at scores or how we played but rather at the talent of individual players. It doesn't matter who we play when you're looking at talent.

Also how we went about things from an approach standpoint will play up against better opponents as well. Attacking the strike zone attacking good pitches to hit when we're at the plate, solid defense, and etc. We had a couple of baserunning mistakes but we still improved in that area as well.

Add that to the talent we have and that's a really good combination for us.

shoeless joe
02-17-2019, 01:53 PM
Did what we were supposed to do. Was there Friday...enjoyed the game and new stadium. But wake me up when we play someone with a pulse

Mjoelner34
02-17-2019, 02:00 PM
Also how we went about things from an approach standpoint will play up against better opponents as well. Attacking the strike zone attacking good pitches to hit when we're at the plate, solid defense, and etc. We had a couple of baserunning mistakes but we still improved in that area as well.

Add that to the talent we have and that's a really good combination for us.

I don't mind one of those baserunning mistakes. I don't blame Mangum for trying to score when the ball got away from the catcher. We had the game in hand at that point and it would've been a helluva play. It was closer than I thought it was going to be. In a close game I don't think we try to score there.

Ari Gold
02-17-2019, 02:04 PM
I get it. But my analysis wasn't based on score. Hell i don't even remember the scores. I reiterate shotguns post above.

I stopped reading it when it said like playing SFA in football.
Football should be compared to football not basketball or baseball.
Not even close to being the same.
Example we could play SFA in football 100 times and beat them 100 times
We could play Youngstown state in baseball 100 and might lose 15 times or more

Football comparison should be done between August and Jan and about football only.

Mjoelner34
02-17-2019, 02:58 PM
I stopped reading it when it said like playing SFA in football.
Football should be compared to football not basketball or baseball.
Not even close to being the same.
Example we could play SFA in football 100 times and beat them 100 times
We could play Youngstown state in baseball 100 and might lose 15 times or more

Football comparison should be done between August and Jan and about football only.

I get that. Just stating that beating them like we did provides a lot more optimism than squeaking out a series win against them. Others had already provided specific player breakdowns in this thread which I thought were accurate. I was impressed with the team size, how we swung the bats and the pitching approach. The only negative all weekend was the way our offense started the Friday game but I think a lot of that was jitters and being a little too aggressive early in the count. Even then we were putting good balls in play which required outstanding defensive plays or we hit it right at them.

As far as individuals:
Really impressed with the sophomores at the plate. Westburg and Allen already appear to be in mid season form and I don't doubt that Rowdy will get there too although he didn't have a bad weekend. Just not as productive as the other two. Small and Ginn appear to be who we thought they were. I was really interested in seeing Cerantola and he didn't disappoint. Just needs more time on the mound. He's going to be special. I also agree with I Seen It that Jones will be the catcher before long.

I seen it dawg
02-17-2019, 03:17 PM
Did what we were supposed to do. Was there Friday...enjoyed the game and new stadium. But wake me up when we play someone with a pulse

Yeah but we have not done what we are supposed to do a lot early in the season the last few yrs. Not crowning us title winners but we look different than before.

maroonmania
02-17-2019, 03:35 PM
I don't mind one of those baserunning mistakes. I don't blame Mangum for trying to score when the ball got away from the catcher. We had the game in hand at that point and it would've been a helluva play. It was closer than I thought it was going to be. In a close game I don't think we try to score there.

Yea, I don't really have a problem with him doing that when its 14-2. But we all know he will do some of those stupid baserunning things in a 2-2 game as well. Love Jake but he has been doing head scratching things on the bases for 3 years now so no reason to think he will stop as a SR.

shoeless joe
02-17-2019, 03:36 PM
Yeah but we have not done what we are supposed to do a lot early in the season the last few yrs. Not crowning us title winners but we look different than before.

Agree 100%.

RougeDawg
02-17-2019, 03:55 PM
Early In the season pitching is always ahead of hitting. To score that many runs opening weekend tells me this team can play with anyone. Our games were never in doubt and other teams in our region lost to some lesser teams.

Ari Gold
02-17-2019, 05:14 PM
To add ...
when is the last time we had our weekend SEC rotation already established in Feb????
That’s so big .. get to work guys in the mid week to see who separates themselves and can make the sec weekend roster.
Shit we didn’t even know our Sunday starter on Friday of sec play last year for the most part

Commercecomet24
02-17-2019, 05:30 PM
I was interested to see how Lemonis ran things in game. I've heard so many good things about him and was really ready to see his management of the game. It may have only been YSU but how he managed the games told me a lot about his ability. We got a good one. He lets the players go out and make plays(ie agressive at the plate, base running and pitching agressively). He let his coaches do their thing(he's not a micro manager) and I'd heard this from a bunch of sources. He plays for the big innings not one run at a time. He used a ton of players(especially pitchers) which will pay huge dividends down the road. I was extremely pleased with what I saw from HC! Bright future!

Mobile Bay
02-17-2019, 05:39 PM
I am not that worried about us being young because Mangum is such a great leader. It's almost like we have an extra coach out there.

Mjoelner34
02-17-2019, 05:42 PM
He used a ton of players(especially pitchers) which will pay huge dividends down the road. I was extremely pleased with what I saw from HC! Bright future!

Amen!

The Federalist Engineer
02-17-2019, 06:24 PM
I think this is a 2016 team again. Hopefully we don't run into a red hot team in the supers this year

Hopefully we are the Red Hot team in the supers

I get the feeling, this team will have elements that will be significantly better by Summer. Plus, we got long ball threats, multiple guys. Sometimes, you need a three-run homer at the right moment. Renfroe vs Oregon State.

Hayden Jones hit a laser beam HR and Foscue looks like a Rooker clone in body type.

Todd4State
02-17-2019, 10:03 PM

I see what you are saying but that's Jake Mangum and I think you play/practice how you would in any game.

Hopefully we are the Red Hot team in the supers

I get the feeling, this team will have elements that will be significantly better by Summer. Plus, we got long ball threats, multiple guys. Sometimes, you need a three-run homer at the right moment. Renfroe vs Oregon State.

Hayden Jones hit a laser beam HR and Foscue looks like a Rooker clone in body type.

This team has a good vibe. The fact that no one is talking about dominating Ethan Small was says a lot to me- there is a lot of depth and things to be excited about. To me, Westburg reminds me more of Rooker than Foscue does. Foscue could break out this year though. He had a lot of outs that were rockets hit right at people. BABIP is going to indicate that he was "unlucky" I'm sure.

confucius say
02-17-2019, 10:11 PM

Hopefully we didn't cut Reynolds and keep Michael Smith again ***

Todd4State
02-17-2019, 11:43 PM
Hopefully we didn't cut Reynolds and keep Michael Smith again ***

Brant Blaylock a former Diamond Dog is on USM's team now. He hit a pinch hit home run that basically beat Purdue for them on Friday. I'm interested to see if our fans have the same reaction towards him as they did for Reynolds. What sucks for us is with the new redshirt rule in baseball there is a better chance that someone like a Luke Reynolds would stay at MSU although part of the issue for him was he wanted to start and there simply wasn't a spot for him on the 2016 starting lineup unless we have fans that think he should have started over Brent Rooker. That may have factored into Cohen's decision at the time as well.

I'm not sure why Blaylock left us- it certainly wasn't because we didn't play him. We actually let him pitch too. He just never hit while he was here.

BiscuitEater
02-17-2019, 11:51 PM
Best stat .. 3 starters, each threw 5 innings with 3 total base on balls. Awesome!

Todd4State
02-18-2019, 12:03 AM
Best stat .. 3 starters, each threw 5 innings with 3 total base on balls. Awesome!

And I don't feel like we overworked them or overextended any relief pitchers for that matter either.

Our staff had 43 K's in 27 IP with only 8 walks the entire weekend. We held them down to a .158 AVG. And four of their five runs that they scored were off of home runs.

And then our hitters struck out 13 times but also had 13 walks in 111 AB's. 5 of those K's were from non-starters meaning our starters only struck out 8 times in 3 games and those starters had all 13 walks. In the meantime we hit .351 with an OPB of .434 while slugging .613. We had 18 extra base hits this weekend- 5 home runs, a triple and 12 doubles. And for good measure we chipped in 3 stolen bases but we're not going to be running a lot when we're up by 12 runs on people. (Or we probably shouldn't be).

We basically put on a clinic outside of the two home runs allowed, a couple of baserunning mistakes, and a couple of errors.

The Federalist Engineer
02-18-2019, 12:41 AM
Brant Blaylock a former Diamond Dog is on USM's team now....I'm not sure why Blaylock left us- it certainly wasn't because we didn't play him. We actually let him pitch too. He just never hit while he was here.

For us, Blaylock got 83 ABs and struckout 40 times. In the SEC hit sub 0.100 (half a Mendoza) and struckout 15 of 23 times. He was only Redshirt Freshman tho, we should expect a better and very motivated player next weekend.

He wouldn't be playing this weekend if he still played for us. Ironically, he would be the new Michael Smith. Our designated Pinch Runner

Todd4State
02-18-2019, 01:21 AM
For us, Blaylock got 83 ABs and struckout 40 times. In the SEC hit sub 0.100 (half a Mendoza) and struckout 15 of 23 times. He was only Redshirt Freshman tho, we should expect a better and very motivated player next weekend.

He wouldn't be playing this weekend if he still played for us. Ironically, he would be the new Michael Smith. Our designated Pinch Runner

Very true. I wouldn't start him over MacNamee, Mangum, or Rowdey. And I wouldn't start him at DH either.

Looks like Blaylock went 3-10 with a home run and 3 RBI's against Purdue. USM is very fortunate to get our transfers like Blaylock, Reynolds and you could sort of even say Jamie McMahon who was a signee of ours and then later won the Ferris Award for them his senior year. They're very lucky to have Matt Wallner too- basically they picked him up because his old school was stopping college baseball and their coach knew someone at USM.

MaroonBelle
02-18-2019, 01:48 AM
Brant Blaylock a former Diamond Dog is on USM's team now. He hit a pinch hit home run that basically beat Purdue for them on Friday. I'm interested to see if our fans have the same reaction towards him as they did for Reynolds. What sucks for us is with the new redshirt rule in baseball there is a better chance that someone like a Luke Reynolds would stay at MSU although part of the issue for him was he wanted to start and there simply wasn't a spot for him on the 2016 starting lineup unless we have fans that think he should have started over Brent Rooker. That may have factored into Cohen's decision at the time as well.

I'm not sure why Blaylock left us- it certainly wasn't because we didn't play him. We actually let him pitch too. He just never hit while he was here.

Spoke to his mom on Twitter last year when he was so hot in Juco. Was talking to another MSU fan discussing his hot bat and how sorry we were he left (he always seemed like a really good kid and I think he and Rooker were besties). She must have been searching his name on Twitter because she entered the convo. Believe the his fam r MSU people although gf was OM softball player. Anyway, gist of convo was he just did not like Can. Dude gave him bad vibes and he didn't want to be coached by him. Obvs he was a good judge of character. She said they were sorry it worked out that way but he had to do what he thought was best for him and at that time he had Already committed to USM. Said they would always love state and we expressed our regret at the loss of him and our hopes for his future success.

Powersaw
02-18-2019, 05:18 PM
I thought Skelton played quite well. Certainly an improvement over last season. The entire pitching staff was so good that there really weren't a ton of balls in the dirt, but he did a good job blocking the ones that were and made pretty good contact at the plate even if only a couple of balls found holes. His arm was his biggest limitation defensively. Indiana Jones is miles ahead in that area and I agree that he is our catcher of the future. For the time being, however, this is still Dustin's job. Like everyone else, I was super impressed with Cerantola. He was consistently 93-96 during his one inning of work and I think he could get close to triple digits later in the spring, especially if the gun is off (it is). Jack Eagan and Colby White were also impressive. If Eagan develops into a long reliever, it'll be fun to see him go through the lineup and then hand it off to one of these guys.

Tbonewannabe
02-19-2019, 12:16 PM
I thought Skelton played quite well. Certainly an improvement over last season. The entire pitching staff was so good that there really weren't a ton of balls in the dirt, but he did a good job blocking the ones that were and made pretty good contact at the plate even if only a couple of balls found holes. His arm was his biggest limitation defensively. Indiana Jones is miles ahead in that area and I agree that he is our catcher of the future. For the time being, however, this is still Dustin's job. Like everyone else, I was super impressed with Cerantola. He was consistently 93-96 during his one inning of work and I think he could get close to triple digits later in the spring, especially if the gun is off (it is). Jack Eagan and Colby White were also impressive. If Eagan develops into a long reliever, it'll be fun to see him go through the lineup and then hand it off to one of these guys.

I would love a Ross Mitchell/Girodo type reliever that could go for 2-4 innings if necessary. Those type of guys can change a series.