PDA

View Full Version : Derrick Zimmerman

CadaverDawg
02-14-2019, 02:59 PM
Every time we play and I see Zimmerman sitting behind the bench, it takes me back to his playing days. Man I wish I could see that guy suit up and play in his prime one more time. He could absolutely jump out of the gym and was so fun to watch. Just thought about it after watching the other night and thought Z deserved his own thread. Loved that guy and what he did at State

msu15
02-14-2019, 03:04 PM
He was awesome, sucks that team his senior year got upset by Butler

CadaverDawg
02-14-2019, 03:05 PM
He was awesome, sucks that team his senior year got upset by Butler

Yep

Commercecomet24
02-14-2019, 03:06 PM
Zimmerman was a beast! Heck of a competitor, leader and lock down on defense.

Randolph Dupree
02-14-2019, 03:10 PM
One of my favorite MSU players of all time. Good thread.

CadaverDawg
02-14-2019, 03:13 PM
Zimmerman was a beast! Heck of a competitor, leader and lock down on defense.

I miss the guy. You just don't see guys like him, Bowers, Vincent, Winsome, Lawrence Roberts, etc, much anymore.
Team guys that give max effort every play. That's why I like Woodard so much...he reminds me of those guys.

msu15
02-14-2019, 03:15 PM
I miss the guy. You just don't see guys like him, Bowers, Vincent, Winsome, Lawrence Roberts, etc, much anymore.
Team guys that give max effort every play. That's why I like Woodard so much...he reminds me of those guys.

Man nice call, he would fit right in with that crew!

ScoobaDawg
02-14-2019, 03:18 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgrWCwPiwWQ

ScoobaDawg
02-14-2019, 03:19 PM
Man I miss these guys...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=299&v=kY4aX3ukkHM

Commercecomet24
02-14-2019, 03:20 PM

Agree completely.

msu15
02-14-2019, 03:36 PM
Man I miss these guys...

Man don't mean to be cliche, but this team would eat our current team alive.

Commercecomet24
02-14-2019, 03:38 PM

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to CadaverDawg again.

Commercecomet24
02-14-2019, 03:38 PM
Man don't mean to be cliche, but this team would eat our current team alive.

That team was tough as nails, mentally and physically!

PMDawg
02-14-2019, 03:46 PM
Every time we play and I see Zimmerman sitting behind the bench, it takes me back to his playing days. Man I wish I could see that guy suit up and play in his prime one more time. He could absolutely jump out of the gym and was so fun to watch. Just thought about it after watching the other night and thought Z deserved his own thread. Loved that guy and what he did at State

I was spoiled when I was in school. Austin, Zimmerman, Bowers, Ignerski, Frazier, Vincent, Harper, Gholar, Patterson, Jackson, Hamilton....man we had some dudes back then!

Lord McBuckethead
02-14-2019, 03:46 PM
You are ecmxactly right. Perry and woodard both remind me of guys like Vincent, Bowers, Austin, and Roberts. Hard nosed basketball players. Team guys. We need to give our current guys an atmosphere like that, just once.

JETDAWG
02-14-2019, 03:49 PM
Was on a cruise and went to get some pizza and turned around and Derrick was standing behind me, when i told him i was a bulldog fan he gave me a hug, was such a good dude, he was like "And 1" mix tape when he was on the court.

PMDawg
02-14-2019, 03:50 PM
Man I miss these guys...

If the picture quality was better back then, I could probably pick myself out in the crowd during that video - on that Mario 3 to tie the game.

shannondawg
02-14-2019, 03:53 PM
I was spoiled when I was in school. Austin, Zimmerman, Bowers, Ignerski, Frazier, Vincent, Harper, Gholar, Patterson, Jackson, Hamilton....man we had some dudes back then!

Golly, who recruited all those studs?

Re: Was it Zimmerman or Bower that leaped over a 6 10 guy to make a layup in one of the games? I think it was Zimmerman in one of the last games he played!

Dawg61
02-14-2019, 03:54 PM
Good lord Tayshaun Prince has had an entire NBA career and retired since that game was played. Wes and Ontario have been to Rick's 17,000 times also.

Dawg61
02-14-2019, 03:56 PM

Same guy that forgot how to recruit anymore of them the second half of his coaching career here.

shannondawg
02-14-2019, 03:57 PM

I assume your talking about our games? I wish the announces would recognize him.

StarkVegasSteve
02-14-2019, 04:02 PM
Man I miss these guys...

I've seen a lot of people try to say the women's game against USCe last year was the loudest they've heard The Hump......it doesn't hold a candle to this one. The ground was literally shaking when Mario hit that 3. I've been to hundred of games in The Hump since, and there's been a couple of games that were close. But nothing will match the sound when that ball went through the net. It still gives me chills to this day.

KentuckyDawg13
02-14-2019, 04:07 PM
Man, he was definitely one of my faves. I tried to find the pic of him slamming over that 7 footer, just found a lot of Euro pics from his overseas days.

Speaking of former players, I just met Dontae' Jones' wife earlier today. She is here in Kentucky for work, overheard me and a coworker talking basketball. She asked if we like SEC bball, and then asked if we knew who Dontae' was...lol

Dawg61
02-14-2019, 04:08 PM
When Florida came to play after they'd won the national championship and they still had the same 4 starters (Noah, Horford, Brewer) the Hump was in a white out and it was really really loud. Pretty sure Noah was quoted as saying the Hump is the toughest place to play in the SEC cause of that game.

ScoobaDawg
02-14-2019, 04:12 PM
If the picture quality was better back then, I could probably pick myself out in the crowd during that video - on that Mario 3 to tie the game.

Haha I still love how often the Gordon to Rhodes no look pass gets posted and I can see myself clearly on it. I made it to quite a few of the 03-04-05 games too... Just good times...

KentuckyDawg13
02-14-2019, 04:19 PM
It was McNeese St in 2002. Raynell Brewer was the 7'1" guy.

http://www.espn.co.uk/mens-college-basketball/recap?gameId=224000040

ScoobaDawg
02-14-2019, 04:21 PM
Man, he was definitely one of my faves. I tried to find the pic of him slamming over that 7 footer, just found a lot of Euro pics from his overseas days.

Speaking of former players, I just met Dontae' Jones' wife earlier today. She is here in Kentucky for work, overheard me and a coworker talking basketball. She asked if we like SEC bball, and then asked if we knew who Dontae' was...lol

I was just looking for that also..and can't find it.

LOL... Dontae who.. *** of course every state fan knows about him.

Dawghouse
02-14-2019, 04:39 PM
I think this is the one.

https://www.sixpackspeak.com/Zim.jpg

Percho
02-14-2019, 04:50 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgrWCwPiwWQ

I was sitting on the top row behind the goal with my rebel brother who passed away in 09.

I miss him and talking sorry rebs with him.

Coldsleeve Jr.
02-14-2019, 06:06 PM
I think this is the one.

This was my background on my laptop at state. Watching him leap in person was unreal

ScoobaDawg
02-14-2019, 06:21 PM
I think this is the one.

https://www.sixpackspeak.com/Zim.jpg

YEP... that dunk was insane how high he got.

Barkman Turner Overdrive
02-14-2019, 07:18 PM

I know that answer! The same guy that was so shittay at both in game adjustments and player development that this team did not get past the first weekend.

Lord McBuckethead
02-14-2019, 07:54 PM
Loudest game i have ever been to was the 2004 UK game, then after they tipped it in, it was the quietest i have ever heard.

CadaverDawg
02-14-2019, 08:22 PM
Loudest game i have ever been to was the 2004 UK game, then after they tipped it in, it was the quietest i have ever heard.

Me too. What an incredible atmosphere. Hate we lost that one

Liverpooldawg
02-14-2019, 09:48 PM

Really good player, but far from the most effective guard we had during that time. I'd take him now in a heart beat.

Liverpooldawg
02-14-2019, 09:50 PM

You obviously weren't at the game where we beat LSU for the SEC title under Williams. For the record, I was at both.

Liverpooldawg
02-14-2019, 09:51 PM
I know that answer! The same guy that was so shittay at both in game adjustments and player development that this team did not get past the first weekend.

Yeah, we have been past the first weekend SO many times before and since. That guy sucked. ******

MSUDAWGFAN
02-14-2019, 09:52 PM

There was a play in that game with about 8 minutes to go that I'll remember forever. Tim Bowers pointed to Lawrence Roberts to set a pick on the perimeter. Bowers didn't go around the pick, just pulled up for 3 and hit it. That put us to within about 5 or so. That play was single handedly the loudest I've ever been around any sporting event ever. When I'm old and gray and my hearing is gone, it won't be the concerts I've attended or drumline or going to the movies. It'll be that game.

StarkVegasSteve
02-15-2019, 01:07 AM

I still remember that building being deadly quiet and one guy just yelling WELL S***.

Dawg61
02-15-2019, 02:18 AM
I was sitting on the top row behind the goal with my rebel brother who passed away in 09.

I miss him and talking sorry rebs with him.

Sorry to hear bout your bro man.

Barkman Turner Overdrive
02-15-2019, 06:28 AM
Yeah, we have been past the first weekend SO many times before and since. That guy sucked. ******

Go put on your cheerleader outfit for whatever California team you root for.

KentuckyDawg13
02-15-2019, 09:00 AM
Gracias.

KentuckyDawg13
02-15-2019, 09:02 AM
I was there too, that 91 game for the SEC (co)title was THE LOUDEST I ever experienced too. The whole campus was into that game a week beforehand. I remember going to watch the team practice the week prior and Coach Williams had a broom to emulate Shaq's (and Stanley Roberts') height. LSU had the twin tower thing with Chris Jackson at point and we still beat them.

shannondawg
02-15-2019, 09:16 AM
I remember us beating Arkansas back when they were a power house sometime around that same time, what sticks out in my mind was Corlis William saying damm on someone making a free throw to ice the game.

Corlis was a class act , remember him playing with bully before the game.

There were two girl hawg fans that had managed to get two good seats in front of me on the adjacent aisle, they had large sign printed and ready to show when a positive showed up for them, never got to raise it. I told them they forgot their sign as they left.

louisvilledawg
02-15-2019, 09:41 AM

Dont forget Sleepy Slater! haha

CadaverDawg
02-15-2019, 11:01 AM
Dont forget Sleepy Slater! haha

Speaking of Slater...I'm pretty sure he is playing for Alabama in a dreadlock disguise this year. I'll try to find a pic and add it to this post. Dude looked just like him the other night.

Slater:
http://jacksonfreepress.media.clients.ellingtoncms.com/img/photos/2012/11/28/Dietric_Slater_courtesy_t180.jpg?370a03faaa4bde211 5f371a02430eb3e6a451be5

Petty:
http://www3.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/John+Petty+Alabama+v+Arizona+cGZzDnxetWgl.jpg