PDA

View Full Version : Fake recruit catfishes Rivals and 24/7

DawgFromOxford
02-14-2019, 01:47 PM
Just goes to show that the bama bump is 100% real.

https://thespun.com/college-football/blake-carringer-recruiting-catfish

TLDR: High school students made a twitter account for a fake high school player. Tweets out he has offers from places like Georgia and Bama. Rivals lists him as a 3 star recruit without any evidence of film, pictures, camp appearances, etc.

ShotgunDawg
02-14-2019, 02:00 PM
Good gracious. While the rankings are mostly correct at the top, after about the top 5 recruiters, the agenda of some of these sites is obvious.

Scared_Hitless
02-14-2019, 02:07 PM
And this is why I will never freak out about recruiting rankings. Clicks are the only objective

Gutter Cobreh
02-14-2019, 02:12 PM
Good gracious. While the rankings are mostly correct at the top, after about the top 5 recruiters, the agenda of some of these sites is obvious.

Not what you said in this post:
https://www.elitedawgs.com/showthread.php?72819-OT-How-Much-Money-Is-247-Sports-Making&p=1069128#post1069128

I was told that I was incorrect in my thoughts regarding these sites, yet here they are getting ranking a kids who does not exist only because of perceived offers from big schools.

mstatefan91
02-14-2019, 02:18 PM
Not what you said in this post:
https://www.elitedawgs.com/showthread.php?72819-OT-How-Much-Money-Is-247-Sports-Making&p=1069128#post1069128

I was told that I was incorrect in my thoughts regarding these sites, yet here they are getting ranking a kids who does not exist only because of perceived offers from big schools.

It is best not to quarrel with the shotgun for the shotgun changes his mind daily.

But yeah, he got you shotgun.

msu15
02-14-2019, 02:20 PM

Looks like you just got pwned

MetEdDawg
02-14-2019, 02:31 PM
Some folks associated with 24/7 today posted on Twitter about it. They didn't name rivals specifically, but they did have to address the fact that because Rivas ranked the "kid" he did get a composite score from them. But he never received an actual rating from 24/7.

This should absolutely show you why recruiting is a money and name recognition game. Committing to MSU doesn't get hits. But offers from Bama and Georgia like this "kid" had does. It's always going to be that way because these services get their money through subscriptions. And only high stars and big time fan bases pay the bills.

This should put the recruiting industry under some massive scrutiny but it won't. Can't upset the status quo.

BeardoMSU
02-14-2019, 02:41 PM
Looks like you just got pwned

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gaj-7BroWNY

hacker
02-14-2019, 03:15 PM
The fake profile only showed up with a 247 composite score because Rivals had it ranked. So 247 didn't get catfished, just Rivals.

CadaverDawg
02-14-2019, 03:21 PM
Hilarious. The internet is undefeated man. Probably a couple of kids drinking beers that got a funny idea...next thing you know they've ruined the credibility of a long standing business. Haha

Bothrops
02-14-2019, 03:28 PM
Just proves a point that many refuse to believe

BuckyIsAB****
02-14-2019, 06:27 PM
Shotgun and Mstate7 can admit I am right now

dawgs
02-14-2019, 07:13 PM
247 never rated the guy. Their data collection for 247 composite just pulled him (along with every single other recruit in rivals and espn's rankings) and the algorithm auto runs him thru their composite rating system. Just more reason I think the 247 rankings (NOT the 247 composite rankings) are the best recruiting rankings. Rivals and espn lose money on crootin' and don't have the resources behind their crootin' research anymore. Rivals is desperate to hang with 247, so they wanted to be the "first" to break this "player" with the ridiculous offer list.

dawgs
02-14-2019, 07:14 PM
Just proves a point that many refuse to believe

The point that the best teams don't generally align with the best crootin' on the previous 3-4 years? Or the point that 5* players make the nfl at a higher rate than 2-4* players, and 4* players at a higher rate than 2-3* players? Are there even 2* players anymore?

MetEdDawg
02-14-2019, 07:39 PM
The point that the best teams don't generally align with the best crootin' on the previous 3-4 years? Or the point that 5* players make the nfl at a higher rate than 2-4* players, and 4* players at a higher rate than 2-3* players? Are there even 2* players anymore?

7 former 5 star recruits drafted in the first round in 2018. 13 3 stars. The first 5 star to go was Rosen at #11.

You might want to reevaluate your position on this.

Hot Rock
02-17-2019, 04:21 AM
7 former 5 star recruits drafted in the first round in 2018. 13 3 stars. The first 5 star to go was Rosen at #11.

You might want to reevaluate your position on this.

Thats funny, since there are about 30 five stars a year and hundreds of three star guys. If it didn?t matter then you wouldn?t see even that many.

State82
02-17-2019, 04:33 AM
I'll bet anything that um gets him to commit. Without a visit even.

MetEdDawg
02-17-2019, 07:28 AM
Thats funny, since there are about 30 five stars a year and hundreds of three star guys. If it didn?t matter then you wouldn?t see even that many.

He said 5 stars make it at a higher rate. I just proved that as far as being drafted in the first round goes, yes they make it at a higher percentage of the whole but that numerically 7 out of 32 spots is pretty low actually.

Cooterpoot
02-17-2019, 07:38 AM
Recruiting sites are the new Lindys and Athlons. They’re making money and promoting certain teams to improve their finances. 247 is a part of that. Ray Charles could rate a true 5 star. The rest is fake news a lot of time.

bulldawg28
02-17-2019, 07:42 AM
Recruiting sites are the new Lindys and Athlons. They’re making money and promoting certain teams to improve their finances. 247 is a part of that. Ray Charles could rate a true 5 star. The rest is fake news a lot of time.

All truth.

Spectre
02-17-2019, 09:15 AM
He said 5 stars make it at a higher rate. I just proved that as far as being drafted in the first round goes, yes they make it at a higher percentage of the whole but that numerically 7 out of 32 spots is pretty low actually.

You’re not a high IQ individual

BB30
02-17-2019, 09:32 AM
Some folks associated with 24/7 today posted on Twitter about it. They didn't name rivals specifically, but they did have to address the fact that because Rivas ranked the "kid" he did get a composite score from them. But he never received an actual rating from 24/7.

This should absolutely show you why recruiting is a money and name recognition game. Committing to MSU doesn't get hits. But offers from Bama and Georgia like this "kid" had does. It's always going to be that way because these services get their money through subscriptions. And only high stars and big time fan bases pay the bills.

This should put the recruiting industry under some massive scrutiny but it won't. Can't upset the status quo.

Interesting take, almost makes you wonder if they have started ranking kids and classes by how they are all actually playing. Our classes generally with an exception here or there have matched where we have finished over the last 3-5 years. As we have gotten better the classes have slowly gotten better. What came first the chicken or the egg.

I think in some instances 247 does a decent job. I do believe some kids are inflated but I also believe that rivals has some employees that are decent at what they do. Unfortunately there are so many players it is hard to get to them all. It would IMO be better to keep a kid unrated until seen at a camp or by someone though.

I?ll be the first to eat a bit of crow as I thought they didn?t do a terrible job just based on our classes and where our football team has finished the playing season normally. Usually it?s right around where we have recruited.

You can’t really say rivals has been wrong simply based off the fact that the top teams in recruiting usually finish up or near the top in actual top 25 rankings and most have competed for a championship. I mean giving bama players a bump is probably the correct thing to do if you haven’t seen a kid much simply based off the fact that Savan probably isn’t recruiting scrubs and then winning all of these games. It’s an interesting conundrum.

MetEdDawg
02-17-2019, 09:54 AM
You?re not a high IQ individual

Good talk

Here's math for you. If ONE 5 star athlete gets drafted, the percentage is higher for 5 stars getting drafted than if 10 3 stars get drafted. You know why? There's over 1,000 3 star athletes. So of course the damn percentage is higher. It's a shit metric because of how few 5 stars there are and how many of them are exposed to the best programs and facilities and nutrition programs in the country.

Look at actual numbers that get drafted. I think it's significantly underperforming if only 7 5 stars get drafted in the first round. If any given year with early draft eligible juniors, seniors, and 5 stars that either redshirted or got injured, that there are roughly 60-100 5 stars that are draft eligible and go in every year. And last year only 7 go in the first round.

That's meaningful data as it pertains to recruiting.

Spectre
02-17-2019, 01:10 PM
Good talk

Here's math for you. If ONE 5 star athlete gets drafted, the percentage is higher for 5 stars getting drafted than if 10 3 stars get drafted. You know why? There's over 1,000 3 star athletes. So of course the damn percentage is higher. It's a shit metric because of how few 5 stars there are and how many of them are exposed to the best programs and facilities and nutrition programs in the country.

Look at actual numbers that get drafted. I think it's significantly underperforming if only 7 5 stars get drafted in the first round. If any given year with early draft eligible juniors, seniors, and 5 stars that either redshirted or got injured, that there are roughly 60-100 5 stars that are draft eligible and go in every year. And last year only 7 go in the first round.

That's meaningful data as it pertains to recruiting.

There are around 30 five stars each year. What do you expect them all to be 1st rounders? You’re wrong here. 5* aren’t red shirting, the only time you would ever have 100 in the same draft class is if all of them in one class redshirted, the next year all played 4 years AND the next year all only played 3 years.

If you add to one year you’ll subtract from the next. The average is 30. 7 out of 30 in the FIRST ROUND is incredibly predictive.

You low IQ.

Dawg61
02-17-2019, 01:28 PM
MathEdDawg vs Spectre

https://media.giphy.com/media/26gJyIscAHtBNcc00/giphy.gif

https://media.giphy.com/media/7v69rMCrHyNmE/giphy.gif

MetEdDawg
02-17-2019, 01:58 PM
There are around 30 five stars each year. What do you expect them all to be 1st rounders? You’re wrong here. 5* aren’t red shirting, the only time you would ever have 100 in the same draft class is if all of them in one class redshirted, the next year all played 4 years AND the next year all only played 3 years.

If you add to one year you’ll subtract from the next. The average is 30. 7 out of 30 in the FIRST ROUND is incredibly predictive.

You low IQ.

This is a dumb dumb post. It's not 30. Maybe 100 was too much. There were 34 5 stars this year. Then you have to figure how many juniors go early. Let's say 10. And there are a few 5 stars that have been injured and lost a season. So let's just say 45. 7 out of 45 in the first round is not very predictive. Around 15%. Not as good when you take actual real numbers into account.

Yes it's better to have 5 stars but it isn't always a success predictor. If it were Auburn wouldn't suck so bad. Chew on some of their 5 star names and tell me where they are. Byron Cowart, Roc Thomas, Tre Williams.

It's all about player and talent development if you want to win. Get the right people for sure and it helps to have more talented kids. But there are plenty of coaches who have done it with less or done worse with more.

Spectre
02-17-2019, 09:18 PM
This is a dumb dumb post. It's not 30. Maybe 100 was too much. There were 34 5 stars this year. Then you have to figure how many juniors go early. Let's say 10. And there are a few 5 stars that have been injured and lost a season. So let's just say 45. 7 out of 45 in the first round is not very predictive. Around 15%. Not as good when you take actual real numbers into account.

Yes it's better to have 5 stars but it isn't always a success predictor. If it were Auburn wouldn't suck so bad. Chew on some of their 5 star names and tell me where they are. Byron Cowart, Roc Thomas, Tre Williams.

It's all about player and talent development if you want to win. Get the right people for sure and it helps to have more talented kids. But there are plenty of coaches who have done it with less or done worse with more.

If you have 45 one year the next year you would expect 15.

The same amount of players would expect to go early from each class, or get injured from each class. You can’t just add to each one magically.

You low IQ. You wrong. 5 star give for reason.

Gutter Cobreh
02-17-2019, 09:23 PM
If you have 45 one year the next year you would expect 15.

The same amount of players would expect to go early from each class, or get injured from each class. You can’t just add to each one magically.

You low IQ. You wrong. 5 star give for reason.

Back to the point of the thread at hand... the reason is partly because of the school a kid commits to.

I do think the services do a job of identifying the elite talent, but I would suspect the schools know this potential and have already identified these kids as targets.

Spectre
02-17-2019, 09:27 PM
Back to the point of the thread at hand... the reason is partly because of the school a kid commits to.

I do think the services do a job of identifying the elite talent, but I would suspect the schools know this potential and have already identified these kids as targets.

The point is 3 and 4 stars are given for the schools in many cases. The limited ~30 five stars don’t discriminate. They are the real deal and why the FIRST ROUND was nearly 25% recently. Not just drafted but FIRST ROUND.

I wanted to make that point. And also the point that if you average 30 a class you’ll average 30 in a draft, not magically more.

Hot Rock
02-17-2019, 10:18 PM
This does prove that at least some of the rankings are made up but four and five star guys are legit. They just can’t evaluate all the players properly.

I have always maintained that there lots of cracks in recruiting ratings. A 20th rated class can be way better than a tenth rated class if one group isn’t balance. Let’s say a team signs 8 WRS that are four and five star types but they don’t get any defensive players when they already have plenty of WRS but few defensive quality players. Then they missed on its OL as well and hire an Off Co that likes to run the ball and their best player signed will go to play MLB. They in trouble.

Lord McBuckethead
02-18-2019, 10:11 AM
This does prove that at least some of the rankings are made up but four and five star guys are legit. They just can’t evaluate all the players properly.

I have always maintained that there lots of cracks in recruiting ratings. A 20th rated class can be way better than a tenth rated class if one group isn’t balance. Let’s say a team signs 8 WRS that are four and five star types but they don’t get any defensive players when they already have plenty of WRS but few defensive quality players. Then they missed on its OL as well and hire an Off Co that likes to run the ball and their best player signed will go to play MLB. They in trouble.

I see what you did there. Stop using facts.