PDA

View Full Version : Realistic Record for Baseball Mid-Week Games this season.

PKADogs55
02-11-2019, 03:13 PM
Obviously last year, the team struggled out of the gate with all of the distractions they faced. We lost some heart-breaking games to teams like McNeese State, S.E. Louisiana, Nicholls, etc .. (Some at away sites). Just wanted to get your opinions for the 2019 Mid-Week games (Minus the OM game in Pearl)?

UAB, JSU, S.E. Louisiana, East Carolina, Ark. Pine Bluff, Grambling, Little Rock, MS Valley State, ULM, South Alabama, TX Southern, and Memphis (All in Starkville).

Samford (Away)

Is it a stretch to think 13-0? 12-1? 11-2? Again, just wanted to see all your inputs.

KOdawg1
02-11-2019, 03:14 PM
We'll lose a couple we're not supposed to and everyone will freak out and call for Lemonis and Cohen to be fired.

PKADogs55
02-11-2019, 03:23 PM
We'll lose a couple we're not supposed to and everyone will freak out and call for Lemonis and Cohen to be fired.

Hopefully that will not be the case; however, I'm sure your right about some of the fan base.

MetEdDawg
02-11-2019, 03:29 PM

It happens every year to most every team, even the really good ones. Here are my thoughts and these aren't ranked in order of difficulty, just to provide clarity:

1) The UAB mid week won't be easy. They have pretty decent pitching even for mid week.

2) SE LA game won't be easy either. That's a Wednesday night game after a Tuesday night game with us leaving out of town quickly for the Texas tournament. SE LA is always good and gives us fits.

3) We play at Samford the Wednesday after we play Florida and right before the Auburn series. Plus we have Arkansas Little Rock the night before.

If I was looking at vulnerable mid week games those would be the 3 biggest possibilities in my opinion. The Samford one is the most vulnerable to me.

PKADogs55
02-11-2019, 04:39 PM
Perhaps we can find some Mid-Week gems in our pitching staff .. to eat up innings, as well as shut the opposing bats down in these games (seeing how the surrounding schedule could get difficult).

sleepy dawg
02-11-2019, 04:39 PM
I agree w/ MetEdDawg.

It is very difficult to not slip up at all. I think our biggest tests will be our first mid week games where we have to play Little Rock and Samford midweek sandwiched b/w Florida and Auburn. We might have to go a bit deeper into our depth than normal for those depending on how the series with Florida ends and if Little Rock plays us tough.

SE LA will be tough, then after we get back from that Texas trip we have another 2 midweek games with East Carolina and Arkansas-Pine Bluff. I'd definitely pick us to win all these, but a few strokes of bad luck and lack of mental focus can easily bite you in the ass on these.

Bothrops
02-11-2019, 04:43 PM

This^^

CadaverDawg
02-11-2019, 04:50 PM
We'll probably go 11-2 or 10-3....every SEC team drops a few midweeks to small schools. "That's baseball"

PKADogs55
02-11-2019, 05:10 PM
We'll probably go 11-2 or 10-3....every SEC team drops a few midweeks to small schools. "That's baseball"

Absolutely!

Todd4State
02-11-2019, 05:41 PM
I'd guess 9-4 is the floor.

BuckyIsAB****
02-11-2019, 06:21 PM
2 toss ups the rest should be wins

dawgday166
02-11-2019, 06:29 PM

That'll probably happen before we lose a mid-week game.

The Federalist Engineer
02-12-2019, 11:02 AM

Even Florida, while Ranked #1 and with 2nd-Round draft picks in the pen loses in the midweek from time to time.

This year, we have the best pitching depth since 2016. Things can only be better than last year. The last two years, we have been pitching midweek guys on Saturday and Sunday.

In 2017 we lost almost an entire sophomore class to TJ and had to pitch Mangum, Gordon, and McQuary read-or-not. And we lost an AA candidate reliever, Blake Smith. And we lost our Saturday guy to Party'n with McQ, Ryan Cyr.
In 2018 we lost a weekend starter candidate, Ashcraft; 70-Innings of work, Plumlee; and an AA candidate reliever, Spencer Price

TNDawg35
02-12-2019, 11:33 AM

Hell we haven’t even played a game yet and people are doing that already!!

MetEdDawg
02-12-2019, 11:51 AM
Hell we haven’t even played a game yet and people are doing that already!!

Just imagine what would happen if we lost a game to Maine during our weekend series with them.....

Cooterpoot
02-12-2019, 11:53 AM
If we lose more than 2 or 3, I'll be disappointed and wanting people fired.***

The Federalist Engineer
02-12-2019, 01:03 PM
If we lose more than 2 or 3, I'll be disappointed and wanting people fired.***

Ultimate sign of being a Closet Rebel is that you don't demand firing someone after losing in midweek

PKADogs55
02-12-2019, 03:48 PM
I'm just glad pretty much all of the Mid-Weeks will be in Starkville this season. It was pretty frustrating to pay $6 .. for a day pass on the Nicholls and McNeese State websites (to watch those away games and lose). But ... that's baseball sometimes.

I seen it dawg
02-12-2019, 06:59 PM
It happens every year to most every team, even the really good ones. Here are my thoughts and these aren't ranked in order of difficulty, just to provide clarity:

1) The UAB mid week won't be easy. They have pretty decent pitching even for mid week.

2) SE LA game won't be easy either. That's a Wednesday night game after a Tuesday night game with us leaving out of town quickly for the Texas tournament. SE LA is always good and gives us fits.

3) We play at Samford the Wednesday after we play Florida and right before the Auburn series. Plus we have Arkansas Little Rock the night before.

If I was looking at vulnerable mid week games those would be the 3 biggest possibilities in my opinion. The Samford one is the most vulnerable to me.

Great analysis

Dawgcap
02-12-2019, 07:12 PM
Not calling a loss by any means but East Carolina is a definite tough game.

Pit Bull
02-13-2019, 03:00 AM

Wasn't E.Carolina in a Super regional last year? Cant remember, but it seems like they were or at least in regional play. If so, they could be a tough out as you say.

PKADogs55
02-13-2019, 08:35 AM

Wonder if the New Dude will be packed out for that game?

Pit Bull
02-13-2019, 12:19 PM
Wonder if the New Dude will be packed out for that game?

Probably not for a midweek game. It might be worth it though depending on how we're playing at the time. We would likely throw a normal midweek pitcher.....they would probably throw their ace.

PKADogs55
02-13-2019, 02:01 PM
Probably not for a midweek game. It might be worth it though depending on how we're playing at the time. We would likely throw a normal midweek pitcher.....they would probably throw their ace.

Oh absolutely no question.

RougeDawg
02-13-2019, 02:12 PM

Baseball is a different monster than other sports. Dropping a game you should not is uncommon. You will have flat games where you do not hit well against inferior pitching. It?s baseball. Have a consistent contact guy like Mangum helps minimize the flat games but they will still happen.

The Federalist Engineer
02-13-2019, 04:28 PM
Baseball is a different monster than other sports. Dropping a game you should not is common. You will have flat games where you do not hit well against inferior pitching. It?s baseball. Have a consistent contact guy like Mangum helps minimize the flat games but they will still happen.

Having competition helps against being flat this year. Hatcher, Williams, Cumbest, Hancock, Childers, and the pitching depth will be jacked up to show what they can do.

PKADogs55
02-13-2019, 05:00 PM
Will we "position" play out of Ginn for these games? Seeing how Lemonis named him as a Saturday starter? I realize he could change the weekend rotation later, if he feels he needs to.

MetEdDawg
02-13-2019, 05:06 PM
Will we "position" play out of Ginn for these games? Seeing how Lemonis named him as a Saturday starter? I realize he could change the weekend rotation later, if he feels he needs to.

I would DH him on Fridays, let him pitch Saturday's, rest him on Sundays, and see if he can play the field one game mid week.

Don't want him to jack his arm up though so we have to be careful. If he's a freshmen starting for us on Saturdays, he might need to give up the field and stick to DH.

PKADogs55
04-17-2019, 07:21 AM
Thought I would bring up this old post. 12-0 Guys! Not to say some of these wins were not CLOSE.

MetEdDawg
04-17-2019, 07:52 AM
Thought I would bring up this old post. 12-0 Guys! Not to say some of these wins were not CLOSE.

Looks like based on score UAB, Samford, and USA were the only 3 midweek games within 2 runs. Everyone else was 3 or more.

Reason we have the most wins in all of baseball is because we have taken care of midweek. Only have 2 left: Ole Miss and Memphis.

I will also add that in hind sight I'm glad Ginn has only pitched. He's a first round talent and we can freaking swing the bats. Let him pitch and only pitch.