PDA

View Full Version : Hit 5 dingers today...

HoopsDawg
02-10-2019, 07:57 PM
Rowdey, Westburg, Ginn, Halter, and Foscue.

msstate7
02-10-2019, 08:09 PM
Who gave em up?

Todd4State
02-10-2019, 08:10 PM
Keegan James and my boy Tyler Spring got rocked pretty good today.

WSOPdawg
02-10-2019, 08:10 PM
Just about ALL lineup projections that we have seen so far have not accounted for Ginn to be in the hitting lineup. I'm of the opinion that he'll be a "heart-of-the-order" hitter and high-caliber SPer similar to Brendan McKay of Louisville several years back.

This is definitely a good problem to have (finding him ABs in the batting lineup).

msstate7
02-10-2019, 08:13 PM
Keegan James and my boy Tyler Spring got rocked pretty good today.

Projected Sunday and midweek guy, right? I can live with them getting hit hard by our lineup.

Todd4State
02-10-2019, 08:14 PM
Just about ALL lineup projections that we have seen so far have not accounted for Ginn to be in the hitting lineup. I'm of the opinion that he'll be a "heart-of-the-order" hitter and high-caliber SPer similar to Brendan McKay of Louisville several years back.

This is definitely a good problem to have (finding him ABs in the batting lineup).

While Ginn has had moments in the fall and spring at the plate he hasn't been as consistently good as some of the others- like Hatcher, Landon Jordan, and etc.

Then again a guy named Jake Mangum also struggled in the fall his freshman year.

Todd4State
02-10-2019, 08:15 PM
Projected Sunday and midweek guy, right? I can live with them getting hit hard by our lineup.

Keegan is projected as the Sunday guy. Spring is in contention for the midweek spot- I wouldn't say that he has locked that spot down though. I would say that Peyton Plumlee and Eric Cerentola are also candidates as well.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
02-10-2019, 08:19 PM
While Ginn has had moments in the fall and spring at the plate he hasn't been as consistently good as some of the others- like Hatcher, Landon Jordan, and etc.

Then again a guy named Jake Mangum also struggled in the fall his freshman year.

It is a SCRIMMAGE. If one of our pitchers strikes out 8, what's wrong with our hitters? We won't be able to hit...if our batters are jacking HRs, will we have the pitching?? Discussing this is like projecting a NFL team based on preseason performance.
Basin

Spectre
02-10-2019, 08:32 PM
It is a SCRIMMAGE. If one of our pitchers strikes out 8, what's wrong with our hitters? We won't be able to hit...if our batters are jacking HRs, will we have the pitching?? Discussing this is like projecting a NFL team based on preseason performance.
Basin

Exactly. I’m sure they are working on stuff, pitches/location etc rather than best matchups for each hitter.

Commercecomet24
02-10-2019, 08:32 PM
Don't be surprised if JT plays a position as well as being Saturday starter.

HoopsDawg
02-10-2019, 08:34 PM
Skelton hasn't played the last 3 scrimmages. Anyone know why?

CadaverDawg
02-10-2019, 08:36 PM

Too valuable to risk injury**

HoopsDawg
02-10-2019, 08:38 PM
Don't be surprised if JT plays a position as well as being Saturday starter.

I don't know. Foscue, Westburg, Halter and Allen seem to be pretty locked in. Then Landon Jordan seems to be the next man up at 2B and the lead candidate to DH against Righties. I see Ginn getting some opportunities to DH vs Lefties.

I would platoon Gilbert and Hayden Jones at Catcher.

Commercecomet24
02-10-2019, 08:42 PM
I don't know. Foscue, Westburg, Halter and Allen seem to be pretty locked in. Then Landon Jordan seems to be the next man up at 2B and the lead candidate to DH against Righties. I see Ginn getting some opportunities to DH vs Lefties.

I would platoon Gilbert and Hayden Jones at Catcher.

Just something I been hearing.

Todd4State
02-10-2019, 08:43 PM
Basin

All I'm projecting are starters. And as far as the first weekend the scrimmages are what are going to carry the most weight.

HoopsDawg
02-10-2019, 08:45 PM
Just something I been hearing.

Interesting. 2nd base would make the most sense b/c it would protect his arm. And Gunner Halter has been struggling, but it seems Gunner has turned it on as of late. Not sure about his defense though.

Commercecomet24
02-10-2019, 08:47 PM
Interesting. 2nd base would make the most sense b/c it would protect his arm. And Gunner Halter has been struggling, but it seems Gunner has turned it on as of late. Not sure about his defense though.

JT is a plus defender.

Homedawg
02-10-2019, 08:49 PM

JT isn't a college second baseman. Can't just throw him in there just because.

HoopsDawg
02-10-2019, 08:51 PM
JT isn't a college second baseman. Can't just throw him in there just because.

I'm not the one saying it. I wouldn't put him at 3B if he's going to be a weekend starter. I guess you could play him at 1B.

msstate7
02-10-2019, 08:55 PM
Have our weekend starters been announced?

Commercecomet24
02-10-2019, 08:55 PM
I know he's worked at several positions. We'll find out in the next week or so. Not trying to start a civil war here just passing along a little info.

Todd4State
02-10-2019, 08:56 PM
If you are trying to protect someone's arm- DH, 1B, or the corner OF spots- preferably RF- are probably the way to go and probably in that order.

Todd4State
02-10-2019, 08:56 PM
Have our weekend starters been announced?

No- expect something official Weds or Thursday.

Todd4State
02-10-2019, 08:59 PM
I know he's worked at several positions. We'll find out in the next week or so. Not trying to start a civil war here just passing along a little info.

Well let me make some bold predictions:

By the end of the year...

Our rotation will be Small, Ginn, and Cerentola.

Our lineup will be:

C- Skelton
1B- Allen
2B- Landon Jordan
3B- Foscue
SS- Westburg
LF- Rowdey
CF- Mangum
RF- MacNamee
DH- Ginn

Commercecomet24
02-10-2019, 09:03 PM

Our lineup will be:

C- Skelton
1B- Allen
2B- Landon Jordan
3B- Foscue
SS- Westburg
LF- Rowdey
CF- Mangum
RF- MacNamee
DH- Ginn

Not bad.

ZedFedder
02-10-2019, 09:08 PM

Our lineup will be:

C- Skelton
1B- Allen
2B- Landon Jordan
3B- Foscue
SS- Westburg
LF- Rowdey
CF- Mangum
RF- MacNamee
DH- Ginn

This Cerantola kid has me more excited by the day.

Bothrops
02-10-2019, 09:09 PM

Our lineup will be:

C- Skelton
1B- Allen
2B- Landon Jordan
3B- Foscue
SS- Westburg
LF- Rowdey
CF- Mangum
RF- MacNamee
DH- Ginn

There's some bloody talent in that lineup

HoopsDawg
02-10-2019, 09:13 PM

Our lineup will be:

C- Skelton
1B- Allen
2B- Landon Jordan
3B- Foscue
SS- Westburg
LF- Rowdey
CF- Mangum
RF- MacNamee
DH- Ginn

I'm going with Hayden Jones at C. And James as the Sunday guy. Agree with everything else.

Homedawg
02-10-2019, 09:21 PM

Our lineup will be:

C- Skelton
1B- Allen
2B- Landon Jordan
3B- Foscue
SS- Westburg
LF- Rowdey
CF- Mangum
RF- MacNamee
DH- Ginn

Not sure about Cerentola's command to be a Sunday starter. But he's got the stuff for sure.

HoopsDawg
02-10-2019, 09:22 PM
Not sure about Cerentola's command to be a Sunday starter. But he's got the stuff for sure.

Yeah, I would start him every mid-week game and hope that he can figure it out. I mean dude hit 97 the other day and easily throws 92-94.

sethjoh
02-10-2019, 09:49 PM

Coach Lemonis said last night he has had the flu this week.

HoopsDawg
02-10-2019, 09:51 PM

whew, that's rough heading into the season. but glad it's nothing serious. may give hayden jones or gilbert an opportunity opening day.

sethjoh
02-10-2019, 10:10 PM
whew, that's rough heading into the season. but glad it's nothing serious. may give hayden jones or gilbert an opportunity opening day.

Yeah. No kidding. He was being quarantine from the team for obvious reasons. Sure don?t need several players battling that to start the season.

Todd4State
02-10-2019, 10:13 PM
This Cerantola kid has me more excited by the day.

He should. He's the Canadian JT Ginn.

Blows my mind that the coaches have us picked sixth in the SEC West.

I'm going with Hayden Jones at C. And James as the Sunday guy. Agree with everything else.

I was very close to putting him down as the starter. I think he's our most talented catcher on the team right now for sure.

It's a question but I also suspect that he was overthrowing since that was pretty much his only spring scrimmage to make a mark. I could definitely see us throwing him against UAB to see how it goes. Midweek may be a good spot for him since the staff wants to save him as much as reasonably possible. I could see him ending up sort of like Zac Houston a couple of years ago where we basically unleash him in the postseason after not using him a ton during the regular season.

Yeah, I would start him every mid-week game and hope that he can figure it out. I mean dude hit 97 the other day and easily throws 92-94.

Agree.

Skelton better hope that he recovers because otherwise he could be Wally Pipped by Hayden Jones. Or Chris Maloneyed.

The Federalist Engineer
02-10-2019, 10:52 PM

Our lineup will be:

C- Skelton
1B- Allen
2B- Landon Jordan
3B- Foscue
SS- Westburg
LF- Rowdey
CF- Mangum
RF- MacNamee
DH- Ginn

The best thing about this team is the quality depth and competition. I could argue that Keegan won't be beat. I can say that Hatcher, Halter, Williams, and Jones will ultimately win positions. Not to mention that Cumbest will continuously get better.

Commercecomet24
02-10-2019, 11:11 PM
I like the fact coaches picked us 6th. It's us against the world! This team has some serious talent and some swagger too. Looking forward to a great season!

Commercecomet24
02-10-2019, 11:11 PM

Dang skippy!

Pit Bull
02-11-2019, 12:11 AM
Rowdey, Westburg, Ginn, Halter, and Foscue.

We should.....we have one of the smallest ballparks in the SEC if not the smallest. Now that KY has a new field, they no longer have that short RF and Auburn & Vandy have short LF fences, but they have the super tall green monsters in place you have to hit over. Mizzou may be the biggest....their field is almost identical to Hoover's stadium.....340' down the lines, 385' power alleys, 400'+ to dead CF. Our lefthanded batters would be well served to learn to be able to pull down the RF line. If they could do that, then a popup could be a HR at that 305' corner. One of our power alleys is 350' and the other, I think is 365'. Dead center I think we are 385-390'.....so yes, I would expect our park to be an absolute launching pad. If we struggle hitting HRs out of our park, then we're in serious trouble.

Pit Bull
02-11-2019, 12:17 AM

Our lineup will be:

C- Skelton
1B- Allen
2B- Landon Jordan
3B- Foscue
SS- Westburg
LF- Rowdey
CF- Mangum
RF- MacNamee
DH- Ginn

I'd rather see Mangum within the top 3 spots. If he's that far down, he'll lose a lot of ABs over the season.

Dawg61
02-11-2019, 12:22 AM
Too valuable to risk injury**

https://media.giphy.com/media/syEfLvksYQnmM/giphy.gif

MetEdDawg
02-11-2019, 12:23 AM
I'd rather see Mangum within the top 3 spots. If he's that far down, he'll lose a lot of ABs over the season.

He listed that in order of position

Spectre
02-11-2019, 12:27 AM

That’s......... not a lineup.

Big4Dawg
02-11-2019, 12:32 AM

This post makes me question your knowledge of baseball....

Dawg61
02-11-2019, 12:42 AM
Geez cut the guy a little slack the super bowl was a week ago. Most people aren't thinking about baseball lineups yet.

Jarius
02-11-2019, 01:19 AM
Skelton batted well over .300 in the fall and has batted well over .300 in spring scrimmages. If that keeps up they are going to put him somewhere in the lineup.

Pit Bull
02-11-2019, 06:06 AM
This post makes me question your knowledge of baseball....

You're right....I shouldn't have turned down that full JUCO scholarship at Columbia State.

timotheus
02-11-2019, 07:57 AM
Skelton batted well over .300 in the fall and has batted well over .300 in spring scrimmages. If that keeps up they are going to put him somewhere in the lineup.

If skelton maintains a hot bat and shows improvement behind the plate, he may very well be the starting catcher.

Jarius
02-11-2019, 08:38 AM
If skelton maintains a hot bat and shows improvement behind the plate, he may very well be the starting catcher.

Oh he is starting the season at catcher. It will be interesting to see if that changes, but as of now he's the guy.