PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else watching Birmingham Iron?

iPat09
02-10-2019, 04:46 PM
State guys making some noise on defense already.

1Q done, Iron up 3-0 over Memphis Express.

CadaverDawg
02-10-2019, 04:52 PM
Who we got on the team?

iPat09
02-10-2019, 04:53 PM
Perkins, Matt Wells, Nick James, Beniquez Brown

CadaverDawg
02-10-2019, 04:57 PM

Wow, that's great. Didn't know that

msbulldog
02-10-2019, 05:02 PM
Am now.

the_real_MSU_is_us
02-10-2019, 05:53 PM
EDIT nm it was redfield not redmond

msstate7
02-10-2019, 06:20 PM
Wow, terrible replay

RocketDawg
02-10-2019, 07:43 PM
Who won?

msstate7
02-10-2019, 07:51 PM
Who won?

Birmingham

Jack Lambert
02-10-2019, 07:51 PM

Perkins is a baller.

dalmuti
02-10-2019, 08:24 PM
beniquez had a fantastic game

RougeDawg
02-10-2019, 10:02 PM
Watching Salt Lake and Arizona tonight. Not a bad game. Definitely takes a little getting used to and Marvin Lewis is like listening to Ben Stein announce a game.

Pit Bull
02-11-2019, 06:11 AM
Refs seem to let the defense rock the QB's world any way they want. I don't know all the rules, but it is apparent the QB better be damn tough to take some of the hits I've seen in several games of this league.

whosyourdawgy
02-11-2019, 07:03 AM
Watching Salt Lake and Arizona tonight. Not a bad game. Definitely takes a little getting used to and Marvin Lewis is like listening to Ben Stein announce a game.

That’s funny right there. Not hardly anyone will get it but that’s funny.

RougeDawg
02-11-2019, 10:07 AM
Ratings are in and the AAC drew more viewers than top NBA games this weekend. I will say it?s nice to see a non sissy league where you can still lay the wood. Also, no extra points makes every TD interesting. I hope it keeps up and will try to watch as much as possible.

msu15
02-11-2019, 10:13 AM
Ratings are in and the AAC drew more viewers than top NBA games this weekend. I will say it?s nice to see a non sissy league where you can still lay the wood. Also, no extra points makes every TD interesting. I hope it keeps up and will try to watch as much as possible.

I really enjoyed it but I HATE the no more than 5 guys can blitz rule. That shit is wack

msstate7
02-11-2019, 10:31 AM
I really enjoyed it but I HATE the no more than 5 guys can blitz rule. That shit is wack

My guess is they want scoring. The olinemen in this league probably leave a lot to be desired

BuckyIsAB****
02-11-2019, 12:13 PM
I really enjoyed it other than the dumbass 5 man blitz rule. Cant figure that one out. It doesnt help anyone. You could say it helps the offense but what are they going to do when they go somewhere else and they blitz 6? The QB gonna get up and say flag?

PSYCHO(thesis)DEFENSE
02-11-2019, 12:54 PM
the rule exists so defenses don't just send 7 every play against 5 2nd team All-WAC offensive linemen. Anybody who watched the games can see the offenses are already at an incredible disadvantage. Think about how long it takes coaches with unlimited resources to implement schemes that work in the NFL, and these coaches have to do that with a constant rotation of practice squad roster cuts. Decent OL & QB play are at a premium in the NFL much less AAF but you can put any freak athlete that couldn't handle an NFL playbook on defense & tell him to go get the ball. I think it's a necessary rule to keep the games from being 3-2 slugfests.

Tbonewannabe
02-11-2019, 03:05 PM
the rule exists so defenses don't just send 7 every play against 5 2nd team All-WAC offensive linemen. Anybody who watched the games can see the offenses are already at an incredible disadvantage. Think about how long it takes coaches with unlimited resources to implement schemes that work in the NFL, and these coaches have to do that with a constant rotation of practice squad roster cuts. Decent OL & QB play are at a premium in the NFL much less AAF but you can put any freak athlete that couldn't handle an NFL playbook on defense & tell him to go get the ball. I think it's a necessary rule to keep the games from being 3-2 slugfests.

The way I heard it was that the Oline essentially had 2 weeks to learn how to play together so they were at a HUGE disadvantage. The defense can send 5 players but no defensive backfield guys. Just think how bad it is when you try to get an Oline to work together without spring training.

Tbonewannabe
02-11-2019, 03:07 PM
I saw a couple of big hits but nothing that I would have considered illegal more than 3 years ago. What I have seen is hard hits, just none that were directly at the head/neck area. They definitely don't have the rule about falling on the QB too hard like the NFL.

msstate7
02-11-2019, 03:10 PM
The current players get a 3-year 250000 contract. Next year, will the sought after players post-draft get to negotiate a contract? Will they be able to sign with the team of their choice or does geography determine team?

Tbonewannabe
02-11-2019, 03:17 PM
The current players get a 3-year 250000 contract. Next year, will the sought after players post-draft get to negotiate a contract? Will they be able to sign with the team of their choice or does geography determine team?

They have a unique kind of model where teams have first choice on players from certain NFL and college teams. Each team was given a marquee college team that has produced NFL talent. So someone like Birmingham probably gets first choice on any Bama players. There is a regional aspect also but I am not 100% sure on how they will determine that since every player is paid the exact same.

PSYCHO(thesis)DEFENSE
02-11-2019, 05:10 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DzDnqTqWsAA4S31.jpg

That’s how they were assigned, no clue if players can re-negotiate around the restrictions after year 1 but interesting question. Memphis has rights to Arkansas & their old QB Austin Allen plays for Utah so I’m guessing Memphis didn’t claim him and he got to go elsewhere unrestricted.

I didn’t know they all had the same salary. Seems that could work against getting some bigger names to sign but is probably better as a model for an NFL farm league which is their long term goal. Otherwise the Trent Richardsons would be demanding to sign a majority of the profits & the no-names trying to make it on an NFL roster likely wouldn’t have enough income to justify chasing the dream.

msstate7
02-11-2019, 05:13 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DzDnqTqWsAA4S31.jpg

That’s how they were assigned, no clue if players can re-negotiate around the restrictions after year 1 but interesting question. Memphis has rights to Arkansas & their old QB Austin Allen plays for Utah so I’m guessing Memphis didn’t claim him and he got to go elsewhere unrestricted.

I didn’t know they all had the same salary. Seems that could work against getting some bigger names to sign but is probably better as a model for an NFL farm league which is their long term goal. Otherwise the Trent Richardsons would be demanding to sign a majority of the profits & the no-names trying to make it on an NFL roster likely wouldn’t have enough income to justify chasing the dream.

It'll be interesting if the XFL attempts to poach AAF stars with a higher salary

PSYCHO(thesis)DEFENSE
02-11-2019, 05:46 PM
It'll be interesting if the XFL attempts to poach AAF stars with a higher salary

Yeah that may be a good strategy for the XFL to go after bigger names and hold onto them since I see the AAF aiming more at being a developmental league where best case scenario they have a star QB for a year or two that becomes an NFL backup and replaces the injured starter on a playoff run ala Kurt Warner. Their best chance at survival is a feeder to develop borderline roster guys who otherwise get lost in the shuffle. But to do so they have to prove to be both profitable and productive enough in terms of supplying talent for the NFL to take on their expenses. So they should hope their stars get poached, but by the NFL not potential competition like the XFL.