PDA

View Full Version : Baseball question for Will James

messageboardsuperhero
10-19-2013, 11:37 PM
It sounds like you've been going to a lot of scrimmages, so I was wondering if you think all these walks our pitchers have been giving up are due to a good approach by our hitters or our young pitchers just getting their feet wet in college? Basically, are we giving up cheap walks or are a lot of these just our hitters battling and extending the count? I know it's way too early to tell with these young pitchers, and I'm certainly not anywhere close to giving up on any of them anytime soon. It's probably a little of both, but I was just curious if you saw all these walks as a positive or not.

ETA: Anyone else who has been to scrimmages can answer too.

MsStateBaseball
10-20-2013, 07:27 AM
Or do the HS umpires suck?

Will James
10-20-2013, 07:45 AM
Some of both. Strike zone seems a little small at times, although it was huge yesterday.

It's also very early and we've mostly seen new, young guys out there.

No Ross, Fitts, Woodruff... Just one inning of Bracewell.

msstate7
10-20-2013, 07:47 AM
How has lindgren looked so far?

Will James
10-20-2013, 07:57 AM
How has lindgren looked so far?

A little rusty his first outing giving up a BB and 2B. But he K'd CT.

Came in with runners on first and 2nd, 0 outs and 2 strikeouts and a weak grounder later shut the inning down. Made CT look foolish here.

AlSwearengen
10-20-2013, 08:05 AM
who are the three most impressive newcomers on the mound that you have seen?

Will James
10-20-2013, 08:16 AM
who are the three most impressive newcomers on the mound that you have seen?

Hudson's clearly the most impressive so far. Hopefully he's going today again.

I really like what Irby gives us, I think we can see him twice every weekend as a matchup.

I thought Zac Houston looked very capable out there in his short start. He pounded the zone and went right after a crop of our better hitters.

So yeah I guess I'd have to say Huddy, Irby, and Houston would be the three that have really stood out.

Will James
10-20-2013, 08:20 AM
I am glad to see Sexton be able to come back from a bad inning yesterday where he gave up 5 runs to go 1-2-3, 1-2-3 in the 2nd and 3rd.

His 2nd and 3rd were really sharp yesterday, he attacked the zone and got out of both with single digit pitches thrown

messageboardsuperhero
10-20-2013, 08:42 AM
Hudson's clearly the most impressive so far. Hopefully he's going today again.

I really like what Irby gives us, I think we can see him twice every weekend as a matchup.

I thought Zac Houston looked very capable out there in his short start. He pounded the zone and went right after a crop of our better hitters.

So yeah I guess I'd have to say Huddy, Irby, and Houston would be the three that have really stood out.

Yeah, I think Irby can be an effective left-on-left matchup guy this year.

What about Billingsly? I've heard good things about him.

Will James
10-20-2013, 08:51 AM
Yeah, I think Irby can be an effective left-on-left matchup guy this year.

What about Billingsly? I've heard good things about him.

He's another one who's first appearance was a little shaky but came back the next time and looked solid. Couple of big time K's yesterday to get out of an inning.

I'll take this opportunity to again emphasize the need of high K guys to shut down innings in relief; dates back to debates last year.