PDA

View Full Version : AAF Beginning oon CBS

ShotgunDawg
02-09-2019, 08:11 PM
I think there is a market for a minor league for the NFL, but I don't think there is room for 2 minor leagues.

Are we cheering for the XFL or the AAF?

Of note, the NFL is cheering for the AAF. They are putting AAF games on the NFL Network & supporting it much in the same way the NBA support the WNBA.

Also, what is the key for minor league football league to work?

Should the NFL go to 15 rounds in the draft & allow NFL teams to affiliate with AAF teams?

Why did the USFL fail?

msstate7
02-09-2019, 08:19 PM
If the nfl is backing the AAF, it gives this league a huge leg up.

What time of the year is the XFL gonna play? Are they gonna compete directly with the NFL or AAF?

ShotgunDawg
17 Gary Danielson is one of the color guys.

I'm out

ShotgunDawg
If the nfl is backing the AAF, it gives this league a huge leg up.

What time of the year is the XFL gonna play? Are they gonna compete directly with the NFL or AAF?

Starts tonight & finishes in mid-april

ShotgunDawg
02-09-2019, 08:20 PM
HBC is coaching the Orlando team tonight.

msstate7
02-09-2019, 08:22 PM
Starts tonight & finishes in mid-april

Right, but the XFL starts next season... when is their season? Are they competing with AAF or NFL or gonna attempt to give football year round?

ShotgunDawg
02-09-2019, 08:22 PM
Even better, it looks like Starter is the uniform sponsor. I'm back in.

http://www.vector-logo.net/logo_preview/ai/s/Starter_logo.png

ShotgunDawg
02-09-2019, 08:23 PM
Right, but the XFL starts next season... when is their season? Are they competing with AAF or NFL or gonna attempt to give football year round?

I don't know. I'm curious if they'll be fighting over players or if players will have to choose which league they want to play in.

My guess is that the XFL will pay more with the WWE backing.

Why haven't these leagues ever worked before?

ShotgunDawg
02-09-2019, 08:27 PM
The Birmingham team that plays tomorrow has about 5 ex MSU players on it.

The Memphis team is Ole Miss' team

The San Antonio team has the worst color combo I've ever seen. Looks like hemorrhoid dump

msstate7
02-09-2019, 08:34 PM
How did this league not pay Tebow what it took to get him? He's such a huge figure in the south and would generate interest

KOdawg1
02-09-2019, 08:34 PM
This is where I see Fitz fitting in at. I think the league has potential.

ShotgunDawg
02-09-2019, 08:36 PM
How did this league not pay Tebow what it took to get him? He's such a huge figure in the south and would generate interest

No doubt. Problem is Tebow has a legitimate chance to be called up by the Mets this year. I'm sure he's concentrating on that

ShotgunDawg
02-09-2019, 08:37 PM
This is where I see Fitz fitting in at. I think the league has potential.

Certainly could.

I think guys like Fitz are who the league could help the most. Guys that need more seasoning but would have to chance positions in the NFL

ShotgunDawg
02-09-2019, 08:39 PM
I'll be interested to see if the NFL ever send it's backups to this league?

You'd think NFL teams would like to see their backups get reps, but, contractually, it would be a nightmare if they got hurt

Todd4State
02-09-2019, 08:45 PM
The USFL ended because Trump tried to compete head to head with the NFL in the fall. Really dumb move on his part.

I think the NFL would be best served to have a minor league set up like MLB has the Arizona Fall League. Get about 8 Southern cities like Jackson, MS, Memphis, Birmingham, Mobile, Little Rock, etc. and each team has an affiliation with four NFL teams who send players to stock the teams- say 13 per team which would make up a roster of 52 players. Play about ten games and go from there.

Todd4State
02-09-2019, 08:46 PM
I'll be interested to see if the NFL ever send it's backups to this league?

You'd think NFL teams would like to see their backups get reps, but, contractually, it would be a nightmare if they got hurt

I figure that the players that the NFL would send are going to be expendable.

MetEdDawg
02-09-2019, 08:51 PM
No doubt. Problem is Tebow has a legitimate chance to be called up by the Mets this year. I'm sure he's concentrating on that

He already got a spring training invitation. He's gonna take that thing as far as he can. Only thing that might would tempt him is an NFL QB job and that isn't happening.

But he would be perfect for this league

msstate7
02-09-2019, 08:54 PM
One thing I don't like about no kickoffs is no onsides kick... pretty much ends games where nfl and college teams at least have a shot

KOdawg1
02-09-2019, 09:04 PM
One thing I don't like about no kickoffs is no onsides kick... pretty much ends games where nfl and college teams at least have a shot

They have a 4th and 12 situation in place of onside kicks. Convert from 4th and 12 and you get the ball

Outside Dawg
02-09-2019, 09:07 PM

Instead of an onside kick, the team that would?ve been kicking an onside kick instead gets a 4th and 12 chance to convert and keep the ball...at least that?s what I think they said at the beginning of the game.

KOdawg1
02-09-2019, 09:11 PM
Here's the official rule replacing onside kicks:

"Instead of onside kicks, which are not allowed, teams will attempt the equivalent of a fourth-and-12 play from their 28-yard line. A conversion means it keeps the ball. These will only be allowed when a team is trailing by at least 17 points or for either team in the last five minutes of a game."

This isn't a bad idea. It gives teams a chance. Recovering an onside kick in the NFL is next to impossible now that you can't get a running start.

msstate7
02-09-2019, 09:16 PM
The 4th and 12 is interesting. Still think that's much easier than an onsides kick.

MaroonFlounder
02-09-2019, 09:20 PM

It's my understanding that there is a way to get the extra possession that an onside kick would provide. You have to convert a 4th and 12 from your own end of the field. Of course, the element of surprise is gone. (A la Saints SuperBowl 2nd half onside kick in 2010)

RocketDawg
02-09-2019, 09:22 PM
The Birmingham team that plays tomorrow has about 5 ex MSU players on it.

The Memphis team is Ole Miss' team

The San Antonio team has the worst color combo I've ever seen. Looks like hemorrhoid dump

Just flipped over to the game (Atlanta/Orlando) for a minute, and my first thought was that the uniforms of the two teams look an awful lot alike. Not many spectators in the stands either for an opening night.

Liverpooldawg
02-09-2019, 09:59 PM
17 Gary Danielson is one of the color guys.

I'm out

Had other things going on and didn't watch tonight. I intended to later. Thanks for the heads up. I won't watch, period.

confucius say
02-09-2019, 10:08 PM
How much do these guys get paid? Is it a full time job?

KOdawg1
02-09-2019, 10:26 PM
How much do these guys get paid? Is it a full time job?

Around 75-80k a year

KOdawg1
02-09-2019, 10:26 PM
Had other things going on and didn't watch tonight. I intended to later. Thanks for the heads up. I won't watch, period.

It hasn't been that bad actually

Liverpooldawg
02-09-2019, 10:29 PM
It hasn't been that bad actually

Gary Danielson? I put up with him because it's SEC Football. I won't subject myself to that idiot without good reason.

Maroonthirteen
02-09-2019, 11:31 PM
Yeah I?m interested in the Memphis team. It is a shame they don?t have State players. But they have more LSU players than OM. Way more LSU players.

Speaking of Birmingham, looks like they are a team the whole town of Columbus ms can get behind. State and Bama players.

Goldendawg
02-09-2019, 11:31 PM
I watched bits and pieces of it, cause nothing much other was on that was interesting. I don't think I knew a single player mentioned. I will watch Birmingham because of all the State players. Don't they play tomorrow?