PDA

View Full Version : Decided to walk the last 9 mins or so of game

msstate7
02-09-2019, 03:49 PM
While I walked, I listened to the game. Gotta tell you, I really enjoyed it. The SECN is awesome and I love to be able to watch all the games. With that said, I think I enjoyed the rest of the game hearing the game through our announcers eyes. We really have a great duo on radio.

FWIW, there were several calls inside 2 mins that the crowd seems to really hate. The only call Richard didn't agree with went in our favor... thought Q's 3-point play was a continuation, and should've been 2 FTs.

In the game thread, I was down on this team and calling a collapse. I questioned their heart. I recant that... I was wrong. You don't battle back from 15 down to a team as good as Kentucky if you don't have heart. I'm not a moral victory kinda guy, but I feel as good about this team as I have in a while. The first reason was the heart we displayed in the 2nd half. The other reason is howland's light came on with reference to Woodard. Holman's days of playing huge minute totals with no defense are over imo. Woodard just held his own against the most talented team in the sec that had him on height. We are a better team with Woodard on the floor. Howland sees it now. We'll beat Bama and finish strong bc of it

Homedawg
02-09-2019, 03:52 PM
I was there. Refs weren't bad. We just aren't tough besides Woodard and perry.

MarketingBully
02-09-2019, 03:57 PM
While I walked, I listened to the game. Gotta tell you, I really enjoyed it. The SECN is awesome and I love to be able to watch all the games. With that said, I think I enjoyed the rest of the game hearing the game through our announcers eyes. We really have a great duo on radio.

FWIW, there were several calls inside 2 mins that the crowd seems to really hate. The only call Richard didn't agree with went in our favor... thought Q's 3-point play was a continuation, and should've been 2 FTs.

In the game thread, I was down on this team and calling a collapse. I questioned their heart. I recant that... I was wrong. You don't battle back from 15 down to a team as good as Kentucky if you don't have heart. I'm not a moral victory kinda guy, but I feel as good about this team as I have in a while. The first reason was the heart we displayed in the 2nd half. The other reason is howland's light came on with reference to Woodard. Holman's days of playing huge minute totals with no defense are over imo. Woodard just held his own against the most talented team in the sec that had him on height. We are a better team with Woodard on the floor. Howland sees it now. We'll beat Bama and finish strong bc of it

What’s bizarre and I liked this lineup but our best defensive frontcourt is Ado and Woodard playing the 5 and 4.

WSOPdawg
02-09-2019, 04:05 PM
What?s bizarre and I liked this lineup but our best defensive frontcourt is Ado and Woodard playing the 5 and 4.

Agree, Holman has no reason being on the court come defensive crunch time. Howland's gotta go with Perry / Ado / Woodard down the stretch.

Commercecomet24
02-09-2019, 04:18 PM
Much better effort the second half. Kids fought hard and played with heart. The sleepwalking first half did us in. The second half team needs to show up every night for 40 minutes.

dawgday166
02-09-2019, 04:25 PM
The other reason is howland's light came on with reference to Woodard. Holman's days of playing huge minute totals with no defense are over imo. Woodard just held his own against the most talented team in the sec that had him on height. We are a better team with Woodard on the floor. Howland sees it now. We'll beat Bama and finish strong bc of it

Woodard can't defend guys who have a height advantage *****

maroonmania
02-09-2019, 04:41 PM
Much better effort the second half. Kids fought hard and played with heart. The sleepwalking first half did us in. The second half team needs to show up every night for 40 minutes.

Yep, this team doesn't know how to play 40 minutes. And as somebody else said they are just very soft. They really just don't know how to beat really good teams in the last few minutes. Its just close loss after close loss after close loss. Either can't make stops or can't make free throws or whatever. Didn't even watch the game today, just couldn't bear it after the gut punch against LSU. I recorded it and was going to watch if somehow by miracle we won. We have talent but they just aren't coached and meshed well enough together to be as good of a team as they are capable of being. And we never do anything strategy wise. I'm so sick of seeing 40 straight minutes of man to man without any change to throw the opponent off rhythm. That's the one part that I really do wish we had a Kermit Davis type coach that throws out multiple defenses through the game.
Sad part is I don't see us being as good next year. No way you can remove Q and this team be as good. I really do hope for the players' sake we can do enough down the stretch to sneak into the NCAA tournament. We won't do anything in the tournament but it would be a really good accomplishment just to finally get back in.

Dawg61
02-09-2019, 07:20 PM
Woodard might be my favorite player on the team right now. He's awesome.

Lance Harbor
02-09-2019, 07:35 PM
This team can be better next year. With a year of maturity and experience having Woodard and Perry as an inside presence can open up more perimeter opportunities. I just hope it happens.

Yep, this team doesn't know how to play 40 minutes. And as somebody else said they are just very soft. They really just don't know how to beat really good teams in the last few minutes. Its just close loss after close loss after close loss. Either can't make stops or can't make free throws or whatever. Didn't even watch the game today, just couldn't bear it after the gut punch against LSU. I recorded it and was going to watch if somehow by miracle we won. We have talent but they just aren't coached and meshed well enough together to be as good of a team as they are capable of being. And we never do anything strategy wise. I'm so sick of seeing 40 straight minutes of man to man without any change to throw the opponent off rhythm. That's the one part that I really do wish we had a Kermit Davis type coach that throws out multiple defenses through the game.
Sad part is I don't see us being as good next year. No way you can remove Q and this team be as good. I really do hope for the players' sake we can do enough down the stretch to sneak into the NCAA tournament. We won't do anything in the tournament but it would be a really good accomplishment just to finally get back in.

msstate7
02-09-2019, 07:39 PM
This team can be better next year. With a year of maturity and experience having Woodard and Perry as an inside presence can open up more perimeter opportunities. I just hope it happens.

I think so too.

msstate7
02-09-2019, 07:39 PM
Woodard might be my favorite player on the team right now. He's awesome.

Love Woodard.

Commercecomet24
02-09-2019, 08:12 PM
Love Woodard.

Yeah dude plays hard and with an edge.

Dawg61
02-09-2019, 08:25 PM

He's pretty skilled and agile too for his big size. I think he has huge upside. He reminds me a little of Grant Hill. Obviously he's nowhere in the same league as an NBA hall of famer but that is the player he reminds me of the most right now.

Commercecomet24
02-09-2019, 08:40 PM
He's pretty skilled and agile too for his big size. I think he has huge upside. He reminds me a little of Grant Hill. Obviously he's nowhere in the same league as an NBA hall of famer but that is the player he reminds me of the most right now.

Yeah I like his all around game too. He's very quick and agile for a big guy. Good stroke too. I agree huge upside for this young man.

msstate7
02-09-2019, 08:45 PM
Yeah I like his all around game too. He's very quick and agile for a big guy. Good stroke too. I agree huge upside for this young man.

He's Schofield... just a young version

confucius say
02-09-2019, 09:53 PM
I was there. Refs weren't bad. We just aren't tough besides Woodard and perry.

Tyson was fouled on the three he shot mid second half. It was borderline a flagrant 1 at that due to where the contact occurred. Can't take out the feet of a jump shooter.

confucius say
02-09-2019, 09:53 PM
Agree on next year, except we are going to miss Q offensively smn fierce.

Homedawg
02-10-2019, 12:07 AM

Severe toughness. We lack that.

Homedawg
02-10-2019, 12:10 AM
Tyson was fouled on the three he shot mid second half. It was borderline a flagrant 1 at that due to where the contact occurred. Can't take out the feet of a jump shooter.

I haven't gone back to watch that particular call. But all and all they weren't bad. The call that everyone whines about at the end w q wasn't even close to a foul. Nor was the "supposed" elbow to Lamar's face. That was the correct call. There are lots of calls in a game, we didn't lose because of the refs

Commercecomet24
02-10-2019, 12:29 AM

Yep.

dawgday166
02-10-2019, 08:45 AM

Like our offense in football this year.

confucius say
02-10-2019, 10:06 AM
I haven't gone back to watch that particular call. But all and all they weren't bad. The call that everyone whines about at the end w q wasn't even close to a foul. Nor was the "supposed" elbow to Lamar's face. That was the correct call. There are lots of calls in a game, we didn't lose because of the refs

Elbow to back of Perry's head?

KentuckyDawg13
02-11-2019, 10:12 AM
People commenting on games they don't watch...classic fair-weather.

msstate7
02-11-2019, 10:25 AM
People commenting on games they don't watch...classic fair-weather.

Wait, you talking about me? I've attended, watched on tv,, or listened on radio to every min of every game. Miss state hasn't had a game in football, baseball, or basketball the last 5 years that I wasn't hanging on every moment... maybe longer than that

KentuckyDawg13
02-11-2019, 10:27 AM
No Ms Sensitive. maroonmania made a comment above.

Commenting within a thread is the clue.

msstate7
02-11-2019, 10:28 AM

Gotcha. I've gotta pay attention to know who to b*tch about haha

Dawg61
02-11-2019, 11:25 AM
Wait, you talking about me? I've attended, watched on tv,, or listened on radio to every min of every game. Miss state hasn't had a game in football, baseball, or basketball the last 5 years that I wasn't hanging on every moment... maybe longer than that

You've watched or listened to every single baseball game in the last 5 years? Bullshittttt

msstate7
02-11-2019, 11:27 AM
You've watched or listened to every single baseball game in the last 5 years? Bullshittttt

Maybe, just maybe... I've missed a couple innings. If I wasn't watching/listening, I was keeping up on live stats though.

ETA... hell, pull up any game thread here, and I'm in it

ETAx2... on 2nd thought, yeah I've missed a bunch of innings. Mostly when basketball and baseball are same time slot. I've left baseball games to go to basketball

Dawg61
02-11-2019, 11:41 AM
Maybe, just maybe... I've missed a couple innings. If I wasn't watching/listening, I was keeping up on live stats though.

ETA... hell, pull up any game thread here, and I'm in it

Not even our HC last year watched every game**

msstate7
02-11-2019, 11:41 AM
Not even our HC last year watched every game**

Haha

BuckyIsAB****
02-11-2019, 11:59 AM
Moral victories in year 4 aint a good sign

maroonmania
02-11-2019, 09:14 PM

Commenting within a thread is the clue.

No, i didn't watch the KY game, and I didn't make ANY specific comments about the KY game because I didn't see it. But I've watched the majority of our games this season, plenty enough games to make some general observations about this team. And I can see a final score and read comments about the last few minutes of the KY game and see it pretty much went to script as most of our close games against really good competition in the last few minutes (5 of our 6 SEC losses are in the last minute by 4 points). Call me a fair weather fan if you like but I have no desire to keep getting emotionally invested in games that our team seems to have no understanding of how to close out when it comes to crunch time. At least the schedule lightens up a little now so maybe we can have actually win a few and have a shot at getting back to even in the league. If we don't get to 9-9 its back to the NIT which would be a colossal disappointment for this team. Expectations for our football and MBB teams have not gone well so far for us this year.