PDA

View Full Version : How do the Bears sign 31 players.

fishwater99
02-08-2019, 03:20 PM
I thought there was a limit...

Please explain, can they all go on scholarship?

smootness
02-08-2019, 03:40 PM
I thought there was a limit...

Please explain, can they all go on scholarship?

They counted some back.

Lord McBuckethead
02-08-2019, 03:49 PM
The limit should be 25 per signing cycle, and you should not be able to count back to cover your sanctions.
Shouldn't it be counting back for calendar year only. This class is 2019 spring and you have 2019 fall early signees. So now they have signed how many for this year? The 2018 year is over, correct.
We signed only like 7 guys on signing day, does that mean we can sign 18 this fall, and then another 25 in the spring?

Being able to count back on your sanction years is stupid as hell.

msu15
02-08-2019, 03:52 PM
The limit rule in itself is stupid as hell. You should be able to sign however many as you want as long as you open with no more than 85 for fall camp. If someone at a place like Bama gets processed tough shit, kids will just have to know the risk they run in signing with a particular school and other schools can bring up that they have done it in the past when recruiting.

HoopsDawg
02-08-2019, 03:56 PM
The limit rule in itself is stupid as hell. You should be able to sign however many as you want as long as you open with no more than 85 for fall camp. If someone at a place like Bama gets processed tough shit, kids will just have to know the risk they run in signing with a particular school and other schools can bring up that they have done it in the past when recruiting.

The rule is stupid b/c it doesn't change anything.

If they enforced the 25 limit for the whole year + eliminated the ability to count back, you would see less processing which would be good for the student athletes and good for programs like MSU.

msstate7
02-08-2019, 04:09 PM
2017: 23 signees
2018: 21 signees (guess they counted 2 back)
2019: 31 signees (counted 6 back)

confucius say
02-08-2019, 04:15 PM
2017: 23 signees
2018: 21 signees (guess they counted 2 back)
2019: 31 signees (counted 6 back)

So their scholly restrictions have not set in yet?

msstate7
02-08-2019, 04:18 PM

I have no idea. I was wondering how you count back to years with restrictions, but apparently they did... math seems to indicate that anyway

HoopsDawg
02-08-2019, 04:32 PM

They set in but they overcame it. Stupid loophole.

confucius say
02-08-2019, 04:36 PM

Please explain

confucius say
02-08-2019, 04:38 PM
I have no idea. I was wondering how you count back to years with restrictions, but apparently they did... math seems to indicate that anyway

Ok I was able to find an article by the Steve wiltfong guy from 247. You can count back like you explained above, but the max you can count back in one class is 5. So 30 should be the max you can sign (25+5).

Bdawg
02-08-2019, 05:11 PM

I would really like to hear this explained too. How do you have scholly limits by the ncaa but there is a loophole to bypass it. WTF!!

Wasn't it 11 over 4 years or some crap. Where did they lose any?

I mean hell, let's just cheat our ass off. Basically your saying there is no penalty(not really advocating this but you get my drift).

confucius say
02-08-2019, 05:15 PM
Is it not weird that OM signed 31, which is most in P5 and 4 more than other SEC team, while on scholly restrictions and nobody is talking about it!? Somebody needs to dig into this.

msu15
02-08-2019, 05:18 PM
I would really like to hear this explained too. How do you have scholly limits by the ncaa but there is a loophole to bypass it. WTF!!

Wasn't it 11 over 4 years or some crap. Where did they lose any?

I mean hell, let's just cheat our ass off. Basically your saying there is no penalty(not really advocating this but you get my drift).

Them sucking balls the last 2 years(and this year as well, maybe longer) is certainly a penalty.

Bdawg
02-08-2019, 05:26 PM
Them sucking balls the last 2 years(and this year as well, maybe longer) is certainly a penalty.

Still should have been much worse on their a** is what I'm still mad about. Also, they shouldn't have pissed their talent away the way they did.

Bothrops
02-08-2019, 05:29 PM
The rule is stupid b/c it doesn't change anything.

If they enforced the 25 limit for the whole year + eliminated the ability to count back, you would see less processing which would be good for the student athletes and good for programs like MSU.

Bama would never allow the NCAA to go there.

HoopsDawg
02-08-2019, 05:29 PM
Please explain

Just mean that yes, they lost scholarships, but since they were allowed to oversign this year they have already overcome the sanctions.

Todd4State
02-08-2019, 05:34 PM
I bet they try to get some people to grayshirt. MLB will bring them back down to 30 from 31.

I agree 100% that they shouldn't be able to do it.

We should sign 30 in 2020 ourselves to get our numbers better.

confucius say
02-08-2019, 05:40 PM
I bet they try to get some people to grayshirt. MLB will bring them back down to 30 from 31.

Ealy and Plumlee count against their 25 regardless if they go mlb right? The way I read the rule is the only exception to a signer counting against your allowable 25 is if he becomes physically incapacitated after signing but before enrolling.

Bdawg
02-08-2019, 05:44 PM
Ealy and Plumlee count against their 25 regardless if they go mlb right? The way I read the rule is the only exception to a signer counting against your allowable 25 is if he becomes physically incapacitated after signing but before enrolling.

Pretty sure they count

confucius say
02-08-2019, 05:52 PM
Pretty sure they count

Yep. Rule 15.5.1.9. That's how I read it.

HancockCountyDog
02-08-2019, 06:43 PM
I'm pretty sure the Dent kid from JA got one of those blueshirt scholarships. Also, my guess is that someone will not make it academically.

All of us that said they got off light because the NCAA added two scholarships to the self imposed restrictions were right, this is why the NCAA didn't really do shit to them.

confucius say
02-08-2019, 06:53 PM
Those who don't make it academically count against your number now. I do know that for fact.

Spiderman
02-08-2019, 09:35 PM
This Is why I've said they got off light since the day penalties were announced. The only true sanctions are schooly reductions. They basically got none. Once they gave back the unofficial visits, they were home free

confucius say
02-08-2019, 09:54 PM
Hell of a story here if anybody wants to chase it. The silence as to an explanation is deafening, and telling.

Pit Bull
02-08-2019, 10:00 PM

For some reason....I have a feeling Ealey will stay in Oxford for 2-3 years. ReBearSharks got devious ways to keep him from going pro. They will likely let him play football and baseball, and then come up with a structured pay for play deal that rivals what his MLB offer will be. Too much old money laying around in Sharkland not being used. The only thing the NCAA has done to them is take a couple bowl year possibilities away. They really have not been deterred at all. Back in business!!

HancockCountyDog
02-08-2019, 10:06 PM
For some reason....I have a feeling Ealey will stay in Oxford for 2-3 years. ReBearSharks got devious ways to keep him from going pro. They will likely let him play football and baseball, and then come up with a structured pay for play deal that rivals what his MLB offer will be. Too much old money laying around in Sharkland not being used. The only thing the NCAA has done to them is take a couple bowl year possibilities away. They really have not been deterred at all. Back in business!!

They can’t compete with MLB money.

Goldendawg
02-08-2019, 10:09 PM

Yeah, let's go back to the days of unlimited signees. Like when Vaught signed about the best 30 QB's (usually the best athlete on their team), in MS. and turned some into DB's or LB's and some "processed". Left State with QB propect #31. Be careful what you ask for. Hail State!

Spiderman
02-08-2019, 10:14 PM

They did with Gholson.

confucius say
02-08-2019, 10:20 PM
They did with Gholson.

Gholsons offer was 1.3 million. Ealy will be twice that

Goldendawg
02-08-2019, 10:54 PM
I remember back in the day when UM got exposed in their own yearbook for misuse of scholarships for football. Showed a couple of guys in an empty swimming pool in scuba gear with tennis rackets holding footballs. They have been cheating since 1848. Hail State!

Todd4State
02-09-2019, 02:42 AM

I think what will happen is once baseball season starts and Ealy sees the opportunity to make about 2-3 million he forgets all about them and goes pro in baseball. He's also from a baseball family and that typically means that's what he will defer to in the end. He's a perception recruit- no more and no less. And I would say the same thing had he signed with us.

Todd4State
02-09-2019, 02:45 AM

Pretty sure they do. And by the way I doubt Plumlee sign a pro baseball contract FWIW and I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up not playing more than one year of college baseball if any at all. I think he is going to end up focusing on football and trying to play QB somewhere.

Pit Bull
02-10-2019, 10:02 AM

I think you would be surprised to know the truth.

Pit Bull
02-10-2019, 10:12 AM
Gholsons offer was 1.3 million. Ealy will be twice that

I know one Ole Miss alum in Greenwood, MS who comes from a former REAL plantation family. They owned about 30,000 acres of prime farmland and forests in the Delta. I know for a fact......he has about 30-40 million in his checking account alone. He could write a check tomorrow for any MLB offer to Ealey.....the only question is, would he. They would have to convince him if it's worth it or not. He loves Ole Miss and would do it if he thought it was well worth it.