PDA

View Full Version : A Brad Cumbest question.

Pedrioa is King
02-08-2019, 11:30 AM
Will he make the roster?

AlSwearengen
02-08-2019, 11:46 AM
I don?t think there is any doubt. I get the feeling that if he had been a baseball player that went to the showcases and did the travel ball thing he would have had a decision to make b/t college and pro baseball. I remember seeing a news segment about him and they were talking about how the pro scouts had discovered him during his senior year. They showed him swinging a wooden bat for a scout and he was hitting them out of his h.s. Field consistently. He should probably give up football.

Saltydog
02-08-2019, 12:32 PM
We're down to 33, I believe so yeah he's going to make it. Plus, he's not just going to make it on attrition of other players either. He's apparently looked really good early on.

Jarius
02-08-2019, 12:47 PM
Per the 247 guys he is going to redshirt (baseball) and will be playing football during spring practice. They don’t think he will be playing baseball this year after football cranks up.

Pit Bull
02-09-2019, 06:11 AM
I don?t think there is any doubt. I get the feeling that if he had been a baseball player that went to the showcases and did the travel ball thing he would have had a decision to make b/t college and pro baseball. I remember seeing a news segment about him and they were talking about how the pro scouts had discovered him during his senior year. They showed him swinging a wooden bat for a scout and he was hitting them out of his h.s. Field consistently. He should probably give up football.

Padres scout was very high on him. I think they cooled a bit when he signed a football scholarship.

somebodyshotmypaw
02-09-2019, 10:04 AM
Last week a thread had Cumbest being the fourth outfielder and possibly starting him at DH some. Now we are redshirting him and questioning whether he makes the roster. Opinions are all over the place evidently.

Todd4State
02-09-2019, 10:09 AM
Last week a thread had Cumbest being the fourth outfielder and possibly starting him at DH some. Now we are redshirting him and questioning whether he makes the roster. Opinions are all over the place evidently.

The 247 guys also thought Eric Cerentola was hurt when he is not either. If Cumbest is good enough to help you play him.

I seen it dawg
02-09-2019, 10:17 AM
247 guys are always locked in **

Leeshouldveflanked
02-09-2019, 11:27 AM
If I am not mistaken, “Being down to 33” means since we had two players leave that were on some form of scholarship aid means that we can only have 33 active roster players for the spring.... so that would make it harder for Cumbest to be on the active roster.

Homedawg
02-09-2019, 11:41 AM
If I am not mistaken, “Being down to 33” means since we had two players leave that were on some form of scholarship aid means that we can only have 33 active roster players for the spring.... so that would make it harder for Cumbest to be on the active roster.

Cumbest would be part of the 8 non scholarship guys of the 33. The 2 leaving have no bearing on him other than we might need to take another pitcher that otherwise might not have made it.

somebodyshotmypaw
02-09-2019, 12:48 PM
If Cumbest is good enough to help you play him.

Holy crap! I never thought of that. ****

Avelso
02-09-2019, 01:01 PM
its Not as easy as let?s play him. He?s on a full ride football scholly. He will be at spring practice if JoMo tells him to be there. There?s a reason there are so few dual sport SEC players. They tell them what they want to hear in recruiting and in reality they do what the football coach tells them to do.

Name the last dual sport guy at State that played a lot in both sports.

Pedrioa is King
02-09-2019, 01:35 PM
Anthony Hickman could be RS since he’s a walk on making a spot. Childers if he’s a walkon too. That’s 2 spots open right there.

Goldendawg
02-09-2019, 02:20 PM
its Not as easy as let?s play him. He?s on a full ride football scholly. He will be at spring practice if JoMo tells him to be there. There?s a reason there are so few dual sport SEC players. They tell them what they want to hear in recruiting and in reality they do what the football coach tells them to do.

Michael Gholar, but basket and football.

The Federalist Engineer
02-09-2019, 02:25 PM

It's a good thing we have JC as The Head MF in Charge. If Cumbest is Bo Jackson or even Frank Thomas, JOMO can eat shit and die. If JOMO doesnt like it or quits, who gives a crap.

Steakonastick
02-09-2019, 04:45 PM
We have to pick 4 to redshirt.

RiverCityDawg
02-09-2019, 05:11 PM
Michael Gholar, but basket and football.

Gholar didn't play football until he was done with basketball, so different deal.

DeRunnya Wilson did it for a minute, but it didn't work out and he went back to just football.

Goldendawg
02-09-2019, 07:14 PM
Gholar didn't play football until he was done with basketball, so different deal.

DeRunnya Wilson did it for a minute, but it didn't work out and he went back to just football.

How about Brad Freeman? Didn't he play FB and baseball?

timotheus
02-09-2019, 08:16 PM
brad attempted to be the punter, I think. I know he tried out for a few pro teams later on. He's now an NFL official.

Todd4State
02-09-2019, 08:48 PM
We have to pick 4 to redshirt.

I'm going to guess JP Elkins, Hunter Blaylock, Bill Williams, and Anthony Hickman.