PDA

View Full Version : Game attendance

RocketDawg
02-07-2019, 09:51 PM
Anybody know what the actual attendance at last night's game was? Seems like I saw a bunch of empty seats.

I'm watching Indiana play Iowa in Bloomington right now, and google says they have an arena that holds >17,000. And folks are packed in there like sardines. Apparently basketball is big business in the B1G, and not so much so in the SEC.

Liverpooldawg
02-07-2019, 10:06 PM
It looked like the upper deck was mostly empty, with plenty of empties down low too.

Pit Bull
02-07-2019, 11:02 PM
It looked like the upper deck was mostly empty, with plenty of empties down low too.

Think I heard around 5,000. If true, not very good for a #21 team coming into the HUMP and us needing the game badly to get NCAA Dance eligible.

WeWonItAll(Most)
02-07-2019, 11:06 PM
Anybody know what the actual attendance at last night's game was? Seems like I saw a bunch of empty seats.

I'm watching Indiana play Iowa in Bloomington right now, and google says they have an arena that holds >17,000. And folks are packed in there like sardines. Apparently basketball is big business in the B1G, and not so much so in the SEC.

And they?re average at best this year

maroonmania
02-07-2019, 11:08 PM
Weeknight start times at 8:00 have never done that well in Starkville so not surprising the crowd was down. Women still do pretty well with a late start but the women's crowd is much more localized than the men's.

stalkingpoon
02-07-2019, 11:13 PM
Think I heard around 5,000. If true, not very good for a #21 team coming into the HUMP and us needing the game badly to get NCAA Dance eligible.

I?ll take a couple off of anybody?s hands if they aren?t going Saturday

WeWonItAll(Most)
02-07-2019, 11:21 PM
Weeknight start times at 8:00 have never done that well in Starkville so not surprising the crowd was down. Women still do pretty well with a late start but the women's crowd is much more localized than the men's.

If this trend continues, and I don't see why it wouldn't barring maybe us being a top 15 team, we have to move students over to courtside. Our crowd always looks and sounds dead on TV

Pit Bull
02-08-2019, 05:23 AM
I?ll take a couple off of anybody?s hands if they aren?t going Saturday

I don't do basketball season tickets any more. My last year was Greg Byrne's first year as AD and ticket prices skyrocketed after that. Trying to drive from Memphis area for a midweek game when you had to be at work at 5 AM the next morning was kind of tough. Surely someone will have some tickets for sale vs KY. Sat. should be better attended IMO.

Dawg2003
02-08-2019, 07:23 AM
If this trend continues, and I don't see why it wouldn't barring maybe us being a top 15 team, we have to move students over to courtside. Our crowd always looks and sounds dead on TV

The problem with moving the students coartside is that you'd have to make up the revenue you loose doing so.

StarkVegasSteve
02-08-2019, 09:15 AM
The problem with moving the students coartside is that you'd have to make up the revenue you loose doing so.

I think the planned renovation will raise the new club level up and put students courtside so they won't block the view. Similar to how Auburn is set up

msbulldog
02-08-2019, 09:21 AM

Hail State says official attendance was 7456, I sure that includes tickets sold and not actual butts in the seats.

Howboutdemdogs
02-08-2019, 09:30 AM

This is a factor for sure. I would want to see the student section moved to the opposite end of the Hump. Get them as close to the opponents bench as allowed. The only sections of review that would be effected for revenue would be 103-106. Also, I would put the band right across from the visitor’s bench or as close as possible, and tell them to blast away.

TALL DAWG
02-08-2019, 02:00 PM
Hail State says official attendance was 7456, I sure that includes tickets sold and not actual butts in the seats.

Lets take a count on how many of the folks talking about attendance in this thread were actually at the game. I was there and walked into my home at 1:00am from it.
Who else went?

Dawg2003
02-08-2019, 02:05 PM
I think the planned renovation will raise the new club level up and put students courtside so they won't block the view. Similar to how Auburn is set up

That would be great.

Ari Gold
02-08-2019, 02:26 PM

That was about right.. it wasn’t an empty as everyone is making it sound like..

MaroonBelle
02-08-2019, 02:36 PM
That was about right.. it wasn?t an empty as everyone is making it sound like..

Been to every game but one this year and I would say you are right. Most crowds have been very late arriving this year. I get there 1 hr before tip usually and was getting very nervous early in the season about crowds not showing up but realized MSU fans are a 15 minutes before tip, even arriving for 5 minutes after tip, kind of crowd. I think some of it is that the past few years arriving late was not a problem because there was no crowd. You could still get parked and seated before game. The crowds are bigger and people are just not getting parked and through the security and food lines early. Also, I would say the past few games the crowds have been very engaged and loud. In particular, this game, even though was not a huge crowd, the fans were loud and the whole place was on it's feet a lot more and longer than usual. I usually go home and rewatch the games on TV to hear analysis and the sound on TV just is not close to what it usually is being there. Also the lighting looks a lot darker on TV than in person.

MarketingBully
02-08-2019, 08:17 PM
Kentucky is another big team like LSU. Key to this game is simple. Play the hot hand no matter what and make the other team adjust to you. If Howland subs scared, we will be blown out of the gym. Howland has to recognize his bench. No more oops subbing errors. We don’t need Howland to derp up this season.

MarketingBully
02-08-2019, 08:20 PM
Also, I’ll just put this here. Holman guarding PJ Washington and Reed on the perimeter they were a combined 5/9 from 3. Pretty easy to make perimeter shots when you are wide ass open. Reed made 2 3s that were absolutely wide ass open including the game winner. I’d of rather Waters take the contested 3 then Reed take a wide open one. Just a thought.

Goldendawg
02-08-2019, 10:25 PM
Get Howland to throw away Dan's manual on playing upper classmen over more talented Freshmen in the second half (i.e. Woodard over Holman ) and we might have a chance. Hail State!

MarketingBully
02-09-2019, 09:38 AM
Get Howland to throw away Dan's manual on playing upper classmen over more talented Freshmen in the second half (i.e. Woodard over Holman ) and we might have a chance. Hail State!

It’s not even that. He has this strange fixation with over playing Holman. Holman didn’t start but he still got 27 minutes. Holman played well in the first half followed by an okay performance in the first part of the second half and a rancid performance down the stretch. If Howland had just mirrored his sub pattern from the first half, we’d of won by 10+ points. With a smaller quicker lineup out there, we were able to get quite a few turnovers from active hands and steals. The combination of playing Ado and Holman together is just not good anymore especially with how well our freshmen are playing.