PDA

View Full Version : Bob stoops is coaching XFL team?!

msstate7
02-07-2019, 07:33 PM
WTF! If he were looking for a job, I'd fire Moorhead to get em. Not a knock against Moorhead, I'd fire Mullen too

Captain Falcon
02-07-2019, 07:38 PM
He probably has about 10% of the responsibilities coaching in the XFL as he did coaching a college team.

As an aside, what in the world is Vince McMahon thinking starting this league back up? It was a financial disaster the first time he did it, and that was with a major TV deal with NBC. I can’t imagine it will make money this time around.

RocketDawg
02-07-2019, 07:46 PM
He probably has about 10% of the responsibilities coaching in the XFL as he did coaching a college team.

As an aside, what in the world is Vince McMahon thinking starting this league back up? It was a financial disaster the first time he did it, and that was with a major TV deal with NBC. I can’t imagine it will make money this time around.

I'll be surprised if anybody goes to the games, especially in the towns that already have an NFL team. Memphis might do OK for a while, but Birmingham is all about UAT/college football.

msstate7
02-07-2019, 07:47 PM

Good point about responsibilities.

No idea why these leagues think they'll make it, but I'm gonna give both a chance. Just realized this week that the AAF will have games on the nfl network. Is the nfl helping this league? That would be huge for the AAF to have the nfl's backing

msstate7
02-07-2019, 07:47 PM
I'll be surprised if anybody goes to the games, especially in the towns that already have an NFL team. Memphis might do OK for a while, but Birmingham is all about UAT/college football.

That's AAF not xfl

RocketDawg
02-07-2019, 08:03 PM
That's AAF not xfl

Well, I was close. **

Just looked it up ... I think this is the first I've heard about rejuvenating the XFL. At any rate, I think both it and the AAF are doomed for failure.

BuckyIsAB****
02-07-2019, 08:03 PM
Im excited for the new leagues. The NFL is trying to brand itself as more entertainment than football, and I reckon in a way they are close to the same but its just not as good as it was even just 4 or 5 years ago. Its becoming a soap opera and I think for some reason people at the NFL want it to be that way

RougeDawg
02-07-2019, 10:41 PM

I have to disagree. Given the distaste and overall public opinion of the NFL the last few years, this is the perfect opportunity to start a new league. For the first time in decades the NFL has taken a backseat to other pro sports. Viewership is down. Worse super bowl ratings in a decade. Goodell allowing those anti Americans to protest as ignorantly and stupidly as can be achieved in this nation, set the NFL back. They have lost viewers for life and tarnished their brand by caving to a small ignorant group. I?ll tune in to these games. I have only watched Dak play over the last two seasons. Shit on the rest of the league. They made their bed. The nfl just better be glad a certain someone called them out repeatedly, did not get bullied into stopping, and saved the league.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
02-07-2019, 11:08 PM
Dammit we'll we ever keep a DC???!!!!!*****

DancingRabbit
02-08-2019, 12:45 AM
I have to disagree. Given the distaste and overall public opinion of the NFL the last few years, this is the perfect opportunity to start a new league. For the first time in decades the NFL has taken a backseat to other pro sports. Viewership is down. Worse super bowl ratings in a decade. Goodell allowing those anti Americans to protest as ignorantly and stupidly as can be achieved in this nation, set the NFL back. They have lost viewers for life and tarnished their brand by caving to a small ignorant group. I?ll tune in to these games. I have only watched Dak play over the last two seasons. Shit on the rest of the league. They made their bed. The nfl just better be glad a certain someone called them out repeatedly, did not get bullied into stopping, and saved the league.

Jerry Jones?

RiverCityDawg
02-08-2019, 06:41 AM

NFL viewership is down because viewership is down across all networks for everything. People are cutting cords, watching Netflix, etc. The NFL is still outperforming all other sports nationwide and in many cases beating out "regular" shows like walking dead, Game is Thrones, etc. I'm for players standing and do not believe the players should even have the right to kneel if the owners tell them not too... It's the owners' business they should be able to make the rules for what the players can/can't do while at work that impacts their business. But with that said, that issue hasn't had a major impact on viewership.

BrunswickDawg
02-08-2019, 07:56 AM
NFL viewership is down because viewership is down across all networks for everything. People are cutting cords, watching Netflix, etc. The NFL is still outperforming all other sports nationwide and in many cases beating out "regular" shows like walking dead, Game is Thrones, etc. I'm for players standing and do not believe the players should even have the right to kneel if the owners tell them not too... It's the owners' business they should be able to make the rules for what the players can/can't do while at work that impacts their business. But with that said, that issue hasn't had a major impact on viewership.

NFL viewership is down from peak.

Interestingly despite all the "I'll never watch again" bluster, ratings for the season from 2017 to 2018 went up 5%. Rating for the Super Bowl sucked because you had a team the majority of the country hates playing a team that legitimately should not have been in the game. And the numbers published are a little misleading. 2018 had 103 million TV viewers. This year was 98 - but it doesn't count the 2 million who streamed the game. A 2 million difference is basically the Saints fan base.

msstate7
02-08-2019, 08:01 AM
playing a team that legitimately should not have been in the game.

We have our spats from time to time, but you totally avenge yourself in my eyes with this statement. From a Georgian no less haha

I will say though that the nfl made a concerted effort to get away from the kneeling that upset so many fans last season

bulldogcountry1
02-08-2019, 08:19 AM

I agree that it's probably because the NFL is struggling (perceived or not). If that is the reason, and they want to try to steal away that fanbase, then they are going to have to have the right business model. It's going to have to appeal to blue blooded Americans who don't want to have politics rammed down their throat during a tackle football game.

BrunswickDawg
02-08-2019, 08:24 AM
We have our spats from time to time, but you totally avenge yourself in my eyes with this statement. From a Georgian no less haha

I will say though that the nfl made a concerted effort to get away from the kneeling that upset so many fans last season

Don't give me too much credit - this former Falcons fan still hates the Saints. LOL.

msstate7
02-08-2019, 08:26 AM
Don't give me too much credit - this former Falcons fan still hates the Saints. LOL.

It was the kneeling, wasn't it? I kid, I kid

BrunswickDawg
02-08-2019, 08:29 AM
I agree that it's probably because the NFL is struggling (perceived or not). If that is the reason, and they want to try to steal away that fanbase, then they are going to have to have the right business model. It's going to have to appeal to blue blooded Americans who don't want to have politics rammed down their throat during a tackle football game.

The question to me is will Vince attempt a sideshow like he did before, or try to create a legit league? His track record says he can't resist making it a sideshow. When it boils right down to it - football fans just want to see football.

The AAF is much more intriguing to me. It is run by football people. They regionalized it to draw an immediate fan base (I know I'll check out Birmingham to see former State players). And they seem to have a decent business model.

BrunswickDawg
02-08-2019, 08:35 AM
It was the kneeling, wasn't it? I kid, I kid

Sorta - more about the kneeling that Eugene Robinson was looking for the night before Super Bowl. That broke me from the Falcons.

msstate7
02-08-2019, 08:38 AM
PSA... here's the AAF tv schedule this weekend:

Atlanta at Orlando or San Diego at San Antonio 7pm Saturday night on cbs

Memphis at Birmingham 3pm Sunday cbs sports network

Salt lake at Arizona 7pm Sunday nfl network

tireddawg
02-08-2019, 11:04 AM

He's got to spend his money on something, rather than give it to the government, and with the NFL alienating part of its fan base, it might work.

Political Hack
02-08-2019, 11:26 AM
Some people think a new market is emerging where kids will play out of high school.

ScoobaDawg
02-08-2019, 11:38 AM
Some people think a new market is emerging where kids will play out of high school.

It will be interesting to see what happens with the 2 new brands. They either get some traction and more players of different levels (early college, juco, grad HS) will give them a look...or the product sucks and they die in 3 years without any support.

Political Hack
02-08-2019, 10:42 PM
It will be interesting to see what happens with the 2 new brands. They either get some traction and more players of different levels (early college, juco, grad HS) will give them a look...or the product sucks and they die in 3 years without any support.

They hired a big name coach known for getting players to the NFL. That's a big early move.

Captain Falcon
02-09-2019, 01:54 AM
He's got to spend his money on something, rather than give it to the government, and with the NFL alienating part of its fan base, it might work.

I just don?t know if people will give it a chance, and the NFL ratings were up this year from the last two years anyway. People will either remember how big of a joke the original XFL was or associate it with WWE (which is also in a big ratings slump in recent years) and pass on it.

Michael Milken
02-09-2019, 12:55 PM
The question to me is will Vince attempt a sideshow like he did before, or try to create a legit league? His track record says he can't resist making it a sideshow. When it boils right down to it - football fans just want to see football.

The AAF is much more intriguing to me. It is run by football people. They regionalized it to draw an immediate fan base (I know I'll check out Birmingham to see former State players). And they seem to have a decent business model.

There is a market. And the best way to train and find qb's is to get the reps. That's too risky to learn other in the NFL. So expect to see the new league get the top qb's stolen.

Mc mahon will make it a sideshow.

Michael Milken
02-09-2019, 12:56 PM

Never thought about this.

That might change things a bit.