PDA

View Full Version : Moving On: What Gives You Hope Next Year's Recruiting Will Improve?

ShotgunDawg
02-06-2019, 07:41 PM
Just looking for some thoughts?

- Less instate talent

- Ole Miss will cheat even more after a 4 win season

- Coaching change at OM

- Will more of our most important coaches be plucked at the 11th hour?

- Regardless of instate talent level, we are obviously range bound below a championship level standard

What gives you hope?

Liverpooldawg
02-06-2019, 07:47 PM
We had a very good year. It will be hard to top what we did.

mparkerfd20
02-06-2019, 07:49 PM
Nothing

deadheaddawg
02-06-2019, 07:50 PM
We have a new coach who signed one of the best classes we have ever signed.

If you can't find hope you are not looking. In fact if you can't find hope you are blind.

Or you are just looking for something to bitch about

Goldendawg
02-06-2019, 07:55 PM
We had a very good year. It will be hard to top what we did.

Season tickets since the '70's. Some 8 -5 years not nearly as good as others. This was by no means "a very good (8 -5 ) year. JMO. Hail State!

IMissJack
02-06-2019, 07:58 PM
None

HoopsDawg
02-06-2019, 07:59 PM
Recruiting at MSU isn't easy. Here's my advice to Joe:

1. Other than your Defensive Coordinator, you need to load up your staff with great recruiters who have strong ties in the south.

2. Recruit MS, MS jucos, Alabama, Louisiana, West TN, and Georgia. Forget all the other states. It's just not worth it unless someone has an "IN" with a guy.

3. Spend the money or whatever you have to do to get great off the field staff who can focus on recruiting. What does this mean? It means figuring out what position a kid wants to play (example Mingo didn't want to play DB, we offered him as a DB initially), figure out who the "influencer" is in the kids life. Sometimes it's the mom, but sometimes it's a step dad or an uncle. Information is everything.

4. Develop a better plan for December. We need to have 85-90% of our class finished in December. Thank you Pickering for sticking with the home team, but we lost good players like DJ James, Lockhart, Washington etc by not locking them down.

5. Did I mention focus on MS? Get these kids to campus as much as possible and show them a lot of love. We have to make these kids realize our chances of winning are just as good as Auburn's if these kids would stick together.

I could go on, but that's a start.

Leeshouldveflanked
02-06-2019, 08:05 PM
We have the best signing class average (even with Lawrence) since crootin statistics have been kept (2004)... we filled a lot of positions of immediate need OL, QB and DL...we have two open spots for Grad Transfers (1 DT and 1 WR) who will play this fall... next years focus will be on LB?s, RB?s, DB?s and WR?s... next year is a good year for LB?s and RB?s...

HoopsDawg
02-06-2019, 08:08 PM
We have the best signing class average (even with Lawerance) since crootin statistics have been kept (2004)... we filled a lot of positions of immediate need OL, QB and DL...we have two open spots for Grad Transfers (1 DT and 1 WR) who will play this fall... next years focus will be on LB’s, RB’s, DB’s and WR’s... next year is a good year for LB’s and RB’s...

Lawrence is actually rated higher than Brevyn Jones. As for next year, it seems we are in good position with several WR's.

Goldendawg
02-06-2019, 08:11 PM
I refuse to get exited by 2020 "commits" until closer to the 1st signing day. If they won't sign then, seems like the "blue bloods" really come in harder for the 2nd signing day.

BrunswickDawg
02-06-2019, 08:12 PM

dawgday166
02-06-2019, 08:13 PM
11 from 2009 - 10 then. But Mullen was such a great coach in 11, 12, and 13. He coached them up and we were way awesome ******

dawgday166
02-06-2019, 08:16 PM
Not much gives me hope. If I'm a recruit and get on this board and read Shotgun's 10 million brilliant posts, I'm thinking to myself "Don't need to go to that school. That fanbase too smart for me to go there". *************

HoopsDawg
02-06-2019, 08:21 PM
One more thing Joe needs to do to improve recruiting, showcase an exciting and effective offense on the field next year. Skill guys don't want to play in a slow tempo offense where the QB runs 18 times per game and has to make 15 reads.

Dawg61
02-06-2019, 08:33 PM
I feel confident your 2003 Dell Computer will finally blow up from overuse which will automatically make our recruiting improve on this board.

IMissJack
02-06-2019, 08:34 PM
We have the best signing class average (even with Lawrence) since crootin statistics have been kept (2004)... we filled a lot of positions of immediate need OL, QB and DL...we have two open spots for Grad Transfers (1 DT and 1 WR) who will play this fall... next years focus will be on LB?s, RB?s, DB?s and WR?s... next year is a good year for LB?s and RB?s...

The coach still has to coach them up on offense. We looked out leagued in SEC games against decent teams most of the season in 18. My biggest complaint against Moorhead was his refusal to change all season regarding his offense. I will give you he wasn't blessed with inheriting the best receivers, but we have had worse, and had coaches that coached to our strength not our weakness.

BuckyIsAB****
02-06-2019, 08:53 PM
Well for one we got Tony Hughes back. If we get Pat Austin back that will help too.

But I figure it will get better bc Moorhead and crew are just better recruiters than the last bunch. A lot of it has to do with not being cynical assholes, being geniune likable human beings and putting the time and effort in to get the kids.

Goldendawg
02-06-2019, 08:57 PM
Well for one we got Tony Hughes back. If we get Pat Austin back that will help too.

But I figure it will get better bc Moorhead and crew are just better recruiters than the last bunch. A lot of it has to do with not being cynical assholes, being geniune likable human beings and putting the time and effort in to get the kids.

That last bunch seemed to have learned to recruit much better in FL. Location, location, location.***** Guess that school did indeed recruit its self.

BuckyIsAB****
02-06-2019, 08:59 PM
That last bunch seemed to have learned to recruit much better in FL. Location, location, location.***** Guess that school did indeed recruit its self.

We did the same thing they did. Got some players on the OL and DL and got our QB. Just bc the imaginary pixie dust rankings says ours is 20 or so doesnt mean it actually is.

KOdawg1
02-06-2019, 09:00 PM
Don't peak early like we did this year. We peaked in June and July. Save it for November.

Goldendawg
02-06-2019, 09:04 PM
The tough thing is that top 25 usually means 5 to 7 in the SEC West.

Saltydog
02-06-2019, 09:19 PM
with auburn, bama, LSU or aTm and probably not as good as UM most years!

Bothrops
02-06-2019, 09:22 PM
If we can formulate an offense where we can actually score on the big boys, it will help sign a couple of guys. If we can't, we won't get those critical pieces. On the defensive side we should be fine. If a player don't want to come to MSU and play defense, then I don't know what to tell them.

Homedawg
02-06-2019, 09:27 PM
The tough thing is that top 25 usually means 5 to 7 in the SEC West.

More like 6 or 7. Depending on Arkansas

Homedawg
02-06-2019, 09:27 PM
with auburn, bama, LSU or aTm and probably not as good as UM most years!

True.....

OSCAR
02-06-2019, 11:45 PM
Just looking for some thoughts?

- Less instate talent

- Ole Miss will cheat even more after a 4 win season

- Coaching change at OM

- Will more of our most important coaches be plucked at the 11th hour?

- Regardless of instate talent level, we are obviously range bound below a championship level standard

What gives you hope?

Best case for us is that OM wins 5 and shows improvement, keeps Luke, has Coordinator turnover that hurts recruiting, and then really bottoms out in 2020. I actually think this may be the most likely scenario.

Leeshouldveflanked
02-06-2019, 11:47 PM
I hate to break it to you boys... we will never be top 1 or 2 in West in crootin without NCAA help.

Todd4State
02-07-2019, 01:56 AM
We already have three four star players committed for 2020. Not sure what Will Rogers will be rated- but I would think he would be a four star as well. In 2019 we had six four star or better composite players that signed with us. Meaning we're halfway to 2019's total already and we're at a stage where there are a lot of evaluations to be done. I wouldn't be surprised if Ole Miss has a head coaching change- that always leads to recruiting unrest no matter what. Hopefully we beat them down again in Starkville. Those things go a long way with recruits if we can show that we are dominant in state over a period of years.

At some point Joe and MSU are going to need to oversign to get our scholarship situation better. If I was MSU I would probably be thinking about going ahead and signing 30 next year with five of those being JUCO players. If we can get another 6-8 four star players to add with the four star players we got this year that should set us up to be in good shape for 2021-2023. If we oversign that will apparently help our rating too.

Doggie_Style
02-07-2019, 09:08 AM

Like last year RB is going to be a concern for 2020...yes we got early looks from Tyree(5*) and Marks(4*) but those two are out of state guys who will have the big boys knocking their doors down...in other words we are very unlikely to land either. Anybody got any thoughts on additional targets?

sscjr1
02-07-2019, 09:26 AM
We had our best class in forever because we had the best instate class in forever. It's not that hard to figure out. This staff was pumped as being 100x better than Mullen and his staff. Just didn't see it

I seen it dawg
02-07-2019, 09:28 AM

Ohhhhhhhhh shit no don't show that!!!

I seen it dawg
02-07-2019, 09:29 AM
Dabo Swinney didn't seem to be knowing what the hell he was doing his first few years either...

I seen it dawg
02-07-2019, 09:30 AM
Bc this staff works much harder at it than last staff. Fact.

Doggie_Style
02-07-2019, 09:36 AM
Bc this staff works much harder at it than last staff. Fact.

some of the hardest working people I have worked with have been the least productive. It's a combination of working hard AND working smart that is needed to improve our outcome. We are in good shape if JoMo learns from the Emery debacle and learns how to approach the early signing period so that we close and sign at least 20 in December. His 2019 strategy fell short.