PDA

View Full Version : Moorhead is Done At MSU

ShotgunDawg
02-06-2019, 08:49 AM
With Mingo and Ealy choosing OM and with Moore likely signing with Auburn, we've now got a full year of garbage from Moorhead.

- 8-5 with 3 first round defensive players and the number 1 defense.

- Whiffing on most of the top 20 in the state

- Poor staff retention, which calls into question his peer's feelings about him.

The collective body of work sucks. I'm not into punishing coaches but he doesn't do anything at an above average level and he doesn't have it.

He's done. He'll be here for 2 more years but he'll suck.

MetEdDawg
02-06-2019, 08:50 AM
GTFO. Your ass needs banning. We didn't flip a WR that's been committed to OM for over half a year. Get out. Your negativity and bullshit is driving this board straight into the ground. I mean burying it's ass quick.

What more should we have done? Multiple people have said we did all we could.

Dawgology
02-06-2019, 08:52 AM
With Mingo and Ealy choosing OM and with Moore likely signing with Auburn, we've now got a full year of garbage from Moorhead.

- Poor staff retention, which calls into question his peer's feelings about him.

The collective body of work sucks. I'm not into punishing coaches but he doesn't do anything at an above average level and he doesn't have it.

He needs to be but our balless AD and our balless boosters will allow this shitshow trainwreck to continue another 2 years so that it will take us another 5 years to climb out of it.

We just need to face the facts that "the powers that be" want us to focus on baseball and that is all. Good luck supporting an athletic program with baseball sales folks.

Quaoarsking
02-06-2019, 08:52 AM
Fascinating how the national media thinks we're a top 15 or better team next year, and only our fans think we're going to be bad.

After decades of complaining that we don't get any respect, we finally get some and we don't agree.

Big4Dawg
02-06-2019, 08:53 AM
Fascinating how the national media thinks we're a top 15 or better team next year, and only our fans think we're going to be bad.

After decades of complaining that we don't get any respect, we finally get some and we don't agree.

Probably because we saw our top 15 team finished the year unranked.

Dawgology
02-06-2019, 08:55 AM
GTFO. Your ass needs banning. We didn't flip a WR that's been committed to OM for over half a year. Get out. Your negativity and bullshit is driving this board straight into the ground. I mean burying it's ass quick.

All we could do wasn't enough to flip a recruit that wanted to flip, that fit better at MSU based on the current coaching roster at Ole Miss, and that was a need for this program. If all we could do couldn't get it done with a 4 star then that is a really REALLY bad sign for our program and this staff. If this is ALL WE COULD DO....then I'm probably done with MSU football. It will probably be better for me in the long run anyway. At least better for my bank account.

msbulldog
02-06-2019, 08:56 AM

Preach! +1

civildawg
I agree. He?s done. This was his chance to win back some fans and he whiffed

Tbonewannabe

Other than Baker leaving for Bama this is a moronic statement. He managed to keep the DC who had the #1 defense in the country, that is something Mullen was never able to do. Do you think Hud should have turned down a Head coaching job? Huff wants Bama on his resume' so you really can't blame him there. Like it or not, Bama is the #1 job in the country as far as assistants go. Working under Saban gets guys head coaching jobs.

I partially agree with the recruiting. Getting Pickering and Cross were big time and we haven't flipped someone like Cross maybe ever.

Next year determines how long Moorhead is here, win 7 or more and he is on solid footing as long as the offense doesn't look like garbage.

MetEdDawg

This board and fan base has turned into such a negative influence around our culture it's disheartening. Our response has been worse than the performance. This fan base will never be happy ever. Never. It get tiring and I can see why people are so damn frustrated. They think we should flip WRs from OM and that Moorhead is supposed to get the best results we've ever had in everything immediately and if he doesn't it's a failure.

No one can work under those conditions.

bluelightstar
02-06-2019, 08:58 AM
What must be done eventually should be done immediately

ShotgunDawg

This has nothing to do with Moorhead though. Mullen built a solid roster.

MetEdDawg
All we could do wasn't enough to flip a recruit that wanted to flip, that fit better at MSU based on the current coaching roster at Ole Miss, and that was a need for this program. If all we could do couldn't get it done with a 4 star then that is a really REALLY bad sign for our program and this staff. If this is ALL WE COULD DO....then I'm probably done with MSU football. It will probably be better for me in the long run anyway. At least better for my bank account.

Your assumption is that he wanted to flip. What are you basing that on? Because saying that means you know he wanted to flip and our staff didn't make it happen. That's a big statement to say against our staff without offering proof he actually wanted to flip.

That's how the negativity gets started. Make a statement like that, then it becomes oh well the staff couldn't flip him now they for sure suck.

Cowbell
02-06-2019, 09:00 AM

Real smart you posting threads like this while we still have kids that need to officially sign papers today. Maybe you should take a break from all your thread starting. I?m going to give you some free advice - You need to ask yourself something before you start threads: Is my comment informative, educational, or funny? If it does not meet any of these criteria, then you can hold your tongue. By doing this, you might actually start getting some respect on this board and most likely in your every day life.

RezDog7
02-06-2019, 09:02 AM

You want be missed

RezDog7

Why don't you go suck off Mullen and stfu.

PMDawg

I never agree with this guy - he's pretty off-kilter. But I tend to agree with him here; and most of the other MSU fans I know IRL feel the same way. Barring a miracle season this year, I think he's already lost the majority of the fan base.

Dawgology
02-06-2019, 09:03 AM
Your assumption is that he wanted to flip. What are you basing that on? Because saying that means you know he wanted to flip and our staff didn't make it happen. That's a big statement to say against our staff without offering proof he actually wanted to flip.

That's how the negativity gets started. Make a statement like that, then it becomes oh well the staff couldn't flip him now they for sure suck.

You're right. He never said the words "I want to flip schools". I'm sorry. We should just expect that Ole Miss gets whomever they want. I forgot our place. Sorry.

Dawgology
02-06-2019, 09:05 AM
Real smart you posting threads like this while we still have kids that need to officially sign papers today. Maybe you should take a break from all your thread starting. I?m going to give you some free advice - You need to ask yourself something before you start threads: Is my comment informative, educational, or funny? If it does not meet any of these criteria, then you can hold your tongue. By doing this, you might actually start getting some respect on this board and most likely in your every day life.

If our staff has done all they they could possibly do to get some elite recruits in late signing and fallen this short I doubt a post on a message board will make any difference at the 11th hour.

msstate7
Why don't you go suck if Mullen and stfu.

We downgraded, plain and simple

Dawgology
You want be missed

You sure about that? Guess we will see.

fader2103
02-06-2019, 09:06 AM
I do blame the fan base some for this recruiting cycle. Why would top talents in state commit here when other teams coaches are saying "Go look at messages boards" Most fans want him gone after year 1.

msstate7
02-06-2019, 09:08 AM
I do blame the fan base some for this recruiting cycle. Why would top talents in state commit here when other teams coaches are saying "Go look at messages boards" Most fans want him gone after year 1.
Your assignment for the day is go read some other sec message boards. This is commonplace

Red Sox Dawg
02-06-2019, 09:08 AM

THIS^^^.

Liverpooldawg
02-06-2019, 09:09 AM

Dude, you have lost the plot. Take a vacation, get a job, throw away your keyboard, do something.

Scared_Hitless
02-06-2019, 09:09 AM
We downgraded, plain and simple

Please name a coach in the entire country we could have hired that would have been an upgrade over Mullen. Exactly you cannot find one, Moorhead was a top assistant and well thought of not much else we could have done. If he crashes and burns in 3 years so be it, just stop acting like it was going to be easy to upgrade over Mullen. Its no wonder he was jumping to leave when our fanbase kept shitting on him.

Liverpooldawg
02-06-2019, 09:11 AM
This board and fan base has turned into such a negative influence around our culture it's disheartening. Our response has been worse than the performance. This fan base will never be happy ever. Never. It get tiring and I can see why people are so damn frustrated. They think we should flip WRs from OM and that Moorhead is supposed to get the best results we've ever had in everything immediately and if he doesn't it's a failure.

Exactly.

msstate7
02-06-2019, 09:13 AM
Please name a coach in the entire country we could have hired that would have been an upgrade over Mullen. Exactly you cannot find one, Moorhead was a top assistant and well thought of not much else we could have done. If he crashes and burns in 3 years so be it, just stop acting like it was going to be easy to upgrade over Mullen. Its no wonder he was jumping to leave when our fanbase kept shitting on him.

Better than Mullen? That's only jimbo and Sean Payton haha

Point taken. Still this board continually runs down Mullen and I hate it. Mullen was great for us, and doesn't deserve to be sheet on 24/7. We are a much better program bc of dan Mullen, and I'll never hold my nuts on him

Liverpooldawg
02-06-2019, 09:13 AM
Exactly. He needs a break.

Red Sox Dawg
02-06-2019, 09:14 AM

Yes, very sure. Bye Felicia.

Dawgology
02-06-2019, 09:15 AM

I think most folks expected the same or better results. We have gotten at BEST the same results but have fallen well short in most instances. Poor game planning and bad recruiting. We lost games that we shouldn't have and we got outrecruited by Matt Luke and a team that has had a losing record for three straight years and appears headed that way next year.

Liverpooldawg
02-06-2019, 09:15 AM

Yep.

Liverpooldawg
02-06-2019, 09:19 AM
Your assignment for the day is go read some other sec message boards. This is commonplace

He was correct. Our constant woe is me negativity about everything IS used against us. Nobody wants to go to a place where everybody is always unhappy about whatever is done. Would YOU? Enough already. I swear reading this board you would think we lost 10 games last year. Instead we had one of the better seasons in school history, and the best one ever for a new coach. This constant whining needs to stop. I helps nothing and it DOES hurt.

Cooterpoot
02-06-2019, 09:19 AM
Quitters- I said it yesterday. It applies today.

ShotgunDawg
02-06-2019, 09:21 AM
Moorhead is Rick Ray 2.0.

Great dude but brings no value to the table

yjnkdawg
02-06-2019, 09:21 AM

His signature says all you need to know about him. "Fighting Stupidity & Ignorance With Every Key Stroke". LOL

louisvilledawg
02-06-2019, 09:26 AM
How I feel about last football season, this recruiting season, and tickets/donations per seat increasing for 2019:

https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/60d6fa13-3f3f-4c81-893b-c2a91a3895df

ShotgunDawg
02-06-2019, 09:26 AM
His signature says all you need to know about him. "Fighting Stupidity & Ignorance With Every Key Stroke". LOL

Well, you tell me what Moorhead does well?

What skill or ability does he bring to the table that would allow MSU to compete in the SEC?

Liverpooldawg
02-06-2019, 09:29 AM

Shotgun that's just plain stupid. It's idiotic. It's moronic. It's not even remotely based in reality. Just stop. If he won't he needs banning. We have recruits still pending.

ShotgunDawg
02-06-2019, 09:29 AM
Shotgun that's just plain stupid. It's idiotic. It's moronic. It's not even remotely based in reality. Just stop. If he won't he needs banning. We have recruits still pending.

Ok, what does he do well? Tell me where I'm wrong. Not just that I'm an idiot.

Tbonewannabe
02-06-2019, 09:31 AM

He has not been Rick Ray 2.0 so far. We will probably finish with a top 25 recruiting class which is better than Mullen normally did. He won 8 games and made one of the better bowl games in the SEC. That would be like if Rick Ray had gotten into the tournament. Please quit with this total bullshit. Moorhead talked too much about Heismans and Championships but so did Mullen. He didn't do great his first year but neither did Saban, Smart, and a lot of other coaches. Barring something crazy, he will be here at least one more year so this constant bitching just shows you are being a bitch.

RezDog7

I'm a 100% positive. All this disappointment over a kid that has been committed to OM for half the year. What did you think was going to happen. When does MSU ever have a huge signing day. Unfortunately it is what it is.

WeWonItAll(Most)
Shotgun

brings no value to the board

FIFY

msstate7
02-06-2019, 09:32 AM
I'm a 100% positive. All this disappointment over a kid that has been committed to OM for half the year. What did you think was going to happen. When does MSU ever have a huge signing day. Unfortunately it is what it is.

I think some of the disappointment is over losing a kid committed to us for a year. I guess losing long time commits is possible

Liverpooldawg
02-06-2019, 09:33 AM

We won eight games and made the postseason. That's a good season for us. Saying it's not isn't based in reality. He had the best season ever for a first year football coach here in modern times. Rick Ray never came close to that good a season in his sport. You need to cool it. You are actively recruiting against us at the moment. PLEASE cool it.

Liverpooldawg
02-06-2019, 09:34 AM
I think some of the disappointment is over losing a kid committed to us for a year. I guess losing long time commits is possible

Heck y'all are melting just as bad over one that was committed to THEM since July.

Jack Lambert
02-06-2019, 09:36 AM
Heck y'all are melting just as bad over one that was committed to THEM since July.

That's who we are.****

Saltydog
02-06-2019, 09:36 AM
You're Kevin Bacon's character at the end of Animal House saying, "ALL IS WELL".........

Ezsoil
02-06-2019, 09:40 AM

Dude, let's see what he does with the QB's this year.....keep in mind what Mullen inherited a great defensive team as well and shit the bed in his first season with the LSU goal line debacle and the U of H game failure to challenge a conference USA crew incorrectly calling a beyond line line of scrimmage pass. If you get rid of Moorhead, who would want to come to this environment where keyboard cowboys criticize every move.

Dawgology
02-06-2019, 09:42 AM

This melt by about 75% of the fanbase (I'm getting texts from guys who don't follow recruiting) is about 10% about Mingo. There is just A LOT more. And more to come so that's something to look forward to!

Liverpooldawg
02-06-2019, 09:42 AM
You're Kevin Bacon's character at the end of Animal House saying, "ALL IS WELL".........

Nope. I just don't voice my concerns when I have them on a message board very often. Message boards ARE used in negative recruiting, both actively and passively. It's not rocket science.

Saltydog
02-06-2019, 09:47 AM
NT

Dawg-gone-dawgs
02-06-2019, 09:48 AM
Geezus dude get a damn grip. You really don't need to follow recruiting

BB30
02-06-2019, 09:49 AM
He needs to be but our balless AD and our balless boosters will allow this shitshow trainwreck to continue another 2 years so that it will take us another 5 years to climb out of it.

We just need to face the facts that "the powers that be" want us to focus on baseball and that is all. Good luck supporting an athletic program with baseball sales folks.

That is some serious conspiracy theory stuff and pretty dumb. If you truly believe our AD is intentionally trying to bomb our football program you are too far gone from reality to be saved. There was never going to be a hire that was a guarantee and from all of the outsiders perspectives Moorhead was a terrific hire. Yall melt way too quick on here, I would hate to see how yall react when something serious that actually matters happens.

dawgday166
02-06-2019, 09:51 AM

Dude ... get a grip will ya? What Mullen did with rosters are not because of recruiting finishes. Mullen was exceptional at player development. Mullen crapped the bed plenty coming down the stretch in recruiting. Even State7 can't deny that.

Mullen's classes from 2017 back to 2009 are as follows: 24, 28, 18, 36, 24, 22, 41, 30, 18.

This class gonna finish somewhere in mid-20's I imagine. Not what we were hoping for but about what we usually get. I'm gonna cut Joe a little slack for still learning on the job, just like I am for this last season (although the offense was a shit show against decent defenses).

Now we get to see if Joe can develop players too. And if he can get his offense going much better than he did last year. Maybe he can't do either, and he'll be gone in 2 or 3 years if that is case. Or maybe he can do those 2 things and will get better at recruiting after learning the ropes a little more this year. I'm also gonna say at least Joe and the football staff put in the effort. With Mullen the effort was lacking in recruiting at times.

RezDog7
02-06-2019, 09:53 AM

Our offense and defensive line recruiting has been pretty good this year.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
02-06-2019, 09:55 AM
I'm a 99.9% positive. All this disappointment over a kid that has been committed to OM for half the year. What did you think was going to happen. When does MSU ever have a huge signing day. Unfortunately it is what it is.

Well I guess I'm the .01 because I'm pissed we didn't sign a full class and basically self-imposed probation. We better hope all these guys pan out and we don't have an injury bug go around.

BuckyIsAB****
02-06-2019, 09:55 AM
Well, you tell me what Moorhead does well?

What skill or ability does he bring to the table that would allow MSU to compete in the SEC?

He is a better recruiter than Mullen ever was. You are just living in the moment. I wanted Mingo as bad as any of them and he was torn over it but at the end of the day he went to OM.

We signed a great OL and DL class and got the QB we wanted, (exactly what Mullen did at UF) but we suck and Mullen is a genius. GTFO

KentuckyDawg13
02-06-2019, 09:56 AM
Cry me a river...boohoo.

msstate7
02-06-2019, 09:57 AM
Dude ... get a grip will ya? What Mullen did with rosters are not because of recruiting finishes. Mullen was exceptional at player development. Mullen crapped the bed plenty coming down the stretch in recruiting. Even State7 can't deny that.

Mullen's classes from 2017 back to 2009 are as follows: 24, 28, 18, 36, 24, 22, 41, 30, 18.

This class gonna finish somewhere in mid-20's I imagine. Not what we were hoping for but about what we usually get. I'm gonna cut Joe a little slack for still learning on the job, just like I am for this last season (although the offense was a shit show against decent defenses).

Now we get to see if Joe can develop players too. And if he can get his offense going much better than he did last year. Maybe he can't do either, and he'll be gone in 2 or 3 years if that is case. Or maybe he can do those 2 things and will get better at recruiting after learning the ropes a little more this year. I'm also gonna say at least Joe and the football staff put in the effort. With Mullen the effort was lacking in recruiting at times.

I hate looking at national rankings when we are 6th/7th in our division. Mullen was good at exceeding recruiting rankings, but very few are. Will moorhead? Who knows, but his talent this year was as close as it will get to the upper west schools this season, and we won 8

BuckyIsAB****
02-06-2019, 09:57 AM
Geezus dude get a damn grip. You really don't need to follow recruiting

I was an asshole apparently for telling him the same thing.

Dawgology
02-06-2019, 09:58 AM
That is some serious conspiracy theory stuff and pretty dumb. If you truly believe our AD is intentionally trying to bomb our football program you are too far gone from reality to be saved. There was never going to be a hire that was a guarantee and from all of the outsiders perspectives Moorhead was a terrific hire. Yall melt way too quick on here, I would hate to see how yall react when something serious that actually matters happens.

Not intentionally, no. No conspiracy theory just is what it is.

Todd4State
02-06-2019, 10:01 AM
Some people are never going to be happy with Joe even if he goes 15-0 next year. Or at any point in his time here.

He does need to better in recruiting next year though. At least he appears to be off to a good start there. Plus the funny thing is right now we have signed more four stars than Dan did in every class he had in 9 years except for one or two.

The only silver lining for us is we need to hit the transfer portal to fill the WR need but that's doable at least.

Dildoes
02-06-2019, 10:03 AM
I’ve been reading this board for a lot longer than I’ve been posting, and it’s pretty clear this Shotgun joker’s mental state is unstable at best. He’s had stretches of completely reasonable posting, but lately he definitely seems to be off his meds. Dude epitomizes manic-depressive episodes

dawgday166
02-06-2019, 10:03 AM
I hate looking at national rankings when we are 6th/7th in our division. Mullen was good at exceeding recruiting rankings, but very few are. Will moorhead? Who knows, but his talent this year was as close as it will get to the upper west schools this season, and we won 8

Ok dude ... I get it and I'm not happy with the way the season went either. But I'm giving the guy a chance. I'm not ready to fire him or Cohen just yet. Both have barely gotten their feet wet in their respective jobs.

If we go 8-4 next year I'll figure that's pretty decent if, and only if, our offense puts up some points in our losses (17 or more in 3 out of 4 ... Bama being the outlier). If that doesn't happen, I'll then be pretty damned pissed at him probably. His offense will need to be adjusted to personnel at that point and he better get on it quick.

I just see little sense of replaying the same mantra of now "Mullen was greatest ever" and "Moorhead will always suck". Mullen is pretty good, but he had to grow into the job too.

Todd4State
02-06-2019, 10:04 AM

If we match the number of four stars we signed this year every year we'll have between 18-21 four stars a year that are sophomores or older. We won't have the depth that Alabama has but we'll have enough to give us a chance against everyone on our schedule and well more than our OOC opponents other than the P5's depending on who that is.

msstate7
02-06-2019, 10:06 AM
If we match the number of four stars we signed this year every year we'll have between 18-21 four stars a year that are sophomores or older. We won't have the depth that Alabama has but we'll have enough to give us a chance against everyone on our schedule and well more than our OOC opponents other than the P5's depending on who that is.

And if ark matches their 4-stars this season, they'll have 48 over a 4 year period

dawgday166
02-06-2019, 10:08 AM
And if ark matches their 4-stars this season, they'll have 48 over a 4 year period

I thought you were and average per player guy.

West Tn Dawg
02-06-2019, 10:10 AM
I’ve been reading this board for a lot longer than I’ve been posting, and it’s pretty clear this Shotgun joker’s mental state is unstable at best. He’s had stretches of completely reasonable posting, but lately he definitely seems to be off his meds. Dude epitomizes manic-depressive episodes

Anybody that averages 13 post a day, on a sports message board, every single day for 5 years, is not very stable. He really needs to get a life!

msstate7
02-06-2019, 10:14 AM
I thought you were and average per player guy.
Things I look at...
1. 4-stars or better is first thing I look at
2. Division ranking
3. Avg per recruit (when you severely undersign though this isn't as good a metric)
4. Conf ranking
5. National ranking

Cooterpoot
02-06-2019, 10:14 AM
I don’t have a problem with Shotgun. I don’t agree with him, but there are worse guys on here.

msstate7
02-06-2019, 10:15 AM
If you throw personal attacks at a poster bc you disagree with them, perhaps you're the unstable one

ShotgunDawg
02-06-2019, 10:16 AM
I don’t have a problem with Shotgun. I don’t agree with him, but there are worse guys on here.

Thanks Cooter.

I'm think I'm a good guy. I just want to see MSU win a natty in my lifetime & I don't like the bullshit excuses & leniency that so many MSU fans give our coaches & administrators.

ShotgunDawg
02-06-2019, 10:17 AM
If you throw personal attacks at a poster bc you disagree with them, perhaps you're the unstable one

This.

It's always been obvious to me that when posters throw out personal attacks, they don't have a leg to stand on in the argument.

I know this because I've/me/ myself has thrown out some personal attacks on occasion & it's when I lack a logical argument against the other person

CadaverDawg
02-06-2019, 10:17 AM
Some people are never going to be happy with Joe even if he goes 15-0 next year.

What? Bullshit

dawgday166
02-06-2019, 10:21 AM
Things I look at...
1. 4-stars or better is first thing I look at
2. Division ranking
3. Avg per recruit (when you severely undersign though this isn't as good a metric)
4. Conf ranking
5. National ranking

Ok. I'm sure if you did the metrics on Mullen for those categories you'd find he finished at the bottom of the division most years (with Ark). Still, we ended up with the talent we had this past year anyway due primarily to 1 class and some key juco signings. Moorhead getting off to a somewhat rocky start, but this class isn't too bad either. Strong on OL and DL. RB & WR are a disappointment for sure.

shannondawg
02-06-2019, 10:22 AM
What gets me is that I am stupid enough to open any thread that Shotgun starts.

CrosscityDawg
02-06-2019, 10:34 AM
Well, DM's first 2 full classes ranked #30 and #41. JM is 27 and 23ish. While i would have liked to have seen a higher ranking, I'm not gonna throw him under the bus. I'll reserve judgement and see what he does with what he has. After all, everyone said DM just needed "his" players to fit his system. Same thing here.

ShotgunDawg
02-06-2019, 10:36 AM
Well, DM's first 2 full classes ranked #30 and #41. JM is 27 and 23ish. While i would have liked to have seen a higher ranking, I'm not gonna throw him under the bus. I'll reserve judgement and see what he does with what he has. After all, everyone said DM just needed "his" players to fit his system. Same thing here.

But Mullen was coming off the Croom era & Moorhead was coming off 8 straight bowl games. Complete apples to oranges

dawgday166
02-06-2019, 10:40 AM
But Mullen was coming off the Croom era & Moorhead was coming off 8 straight bowl games. Complete apples to oranges

Coming off Croom era wasn't as bad as you're making it out to be. 2009 class was mostly Croom's. Croom did much better in OL recruiting that Mullen ever did per rankings. And discipline was here ... unlike when Croom took over for Jackie. Croom's main fault was sticking with McCorvey.

ShotgunDawg
02-06-2019, 10:41 AM
Coming off Croom era wasn't as bad as you're making it out to be.

Oh, I must have mis-remembered

dawgday166
02-06-2019, 10:45 AM
Oh, I must have mis-remembered

I think so ... it wasn't Rick Ray level of leaving a program. Now I'm not saying Joe didn't inherit many more much better players Just saying that 2009 class was mostly together when Mullen came on board and that was Mullen's highest ranked class until 2015.

CrosscityDawg
02-06-2019, 10:49 AM
I get that but sometimes it just takes a couple of years to fully establish yourself. Texas should be a top5-10 every year based on talent but its taken Herman a couple of years to get them going. I'm just saying I'm not gonna give up on a coach after 1 season and 1 1/2 recruiting cycles.

NCDawg
02-06-2019, 11:54 AM
I don?t have a problem with Shotgun. I don?t agree with him, but there are worse guys on here.

I don't have any problem with Shotgun, either. He's obviously a loyal MS State supporter, and he calls things like he sees them.

ShotgunDawg
02-06-2019, 11:59 AM
I get that but sometimes it just takes a couple of years to fully establish yourself. Texas should be a top5-10 every year based on talent but its taken Herman a couple of years to get them going. I'm just saying I'm not gonna give up on a coach after 1 season and 1 1/2 recruiting cycles.

I agree it take a few years, but what bothers me most is that Moorhead was either arrogant about recruiting in the South or completely ignorant.

As evidenced by his hires at LB, WR, QB coach, and RB, he has/ had absolutely no clue about what it takes to recruit in the South.

That being said, he has made some adjustments and hired recruiters, but he basically wasted a year to learn because he had no clue. His learning curve has been too steep.

I just don't see it. I don't see the awareness and ability to do something great.

To be successful at MSU, I believe a coach has to be GREAT in one Area: Recruiting, Xs and Os, or development.

Joe comes across to me as a G5 coach where talent levels are more even.

dawgday166
02-06-2019, 12:04 PM
I agree it take a few years, but what bothers me most is that Moorhead was either arrogant about recruiting in the South or completely ignorant.

As evidenced by his hires at LB, WR, QB coach, and RB, he has/ had absolutely no clue about what it takes to recruit in the South.

That being said, he has made some adjustments and hired recruiters, but he basically wasted a year to learn because he had no clue. His learning curve has been too steep.

I just don't see it. I don't see the awareness and ability to do something great.

To be successful at MSU, I believe a coach has to be GREAT one Area: Recruiting, Xs and Os, or development.

When we got Mullen he had already been at FL with Urban. Yet he still went thru a learning curve and he wasn't new to the SEC. Mullen himself has said at FL they had to figure it out. And this was pre-Saban and AU paying Cam, etc.

The learning curve probably has been steep for Moorhead. But we did get the best OL class we ever got and probably one of the top 3 (maybe 4) DL classes in the last 10 years too. Not saying there weren't some misses, but he did decent his first go round IMO. On a scale of 1 - 10 ... I'd give him a 7 or so.

ShotgunDawg
02-06-2019, 12:07 PM
When we got Mullen he had already been at FL with Urban. Yet he still went thru a learning curve and he wasn't new to the SEC. Mullen himself has said at FL they had to figure it out. And this was pre-Saban and AU paying Cam, etc.

The learning curve probably has been steep for Moorhead. But we did get the best OL class we ever got and probably one of the top 3 (maybe 4) DL classes in the last 10 years too. Not saying there weren't some misses, but he did decent his first go round IMO. On a scale of 1 - 10 ... I'd give him a 7 or so.

I would go 5 or 6. He's been slap average IMO and that won't work at MSU.

Gutter Cobreh
02-06-2019, 12:07 PM

To be successful at MSU, I believe a coach has to be GREAT in one Area: Recruiting, Xs and Os, or development.

Based on your join date, you've wasted 6 years posting here and you still haven't figured it out....

You still allow your emotions to get the best of you on a daily basis. You swing positive to negative faster then anyone here based on one minute issue. Missing on a couple guys will not destroy the program. Not signing a full class will, so I have apprehension there. As opposed to creating a thread stating Moorhead is done at MSU, the better play may have been to wait to see how the day unfolds or actually officially wraps up before doing so.

I haven't put you on ignore yet, as I do think you bring value to the board.

Tbonewannabe
02-06-2019, 12:24 PM
Some people are never going to be happy with Joe even if he goes 15-0 next year. Or at any point in his time here.

He does need to better in recruiting next year though. At least he appears to be off to a good start there. Plus the funny thing is right now we have signed more four stars than Dan did in every class he had in 9 years except for one or two.

The only silver lining for us is we need to hit the transfer portal to fill the WR need but that's doable at least.

Replace the name UK with UGA and if Mullen wasn't the coach at UF and people would have a different opinion.