PDA

View Full Version : Brett McMurphy pretty high on us for 2019

Quaoarsking
02-05-2019, 07:36 PM
Trigger warning: optimistic post

https://watchstadium.com/news/sec-football-national-championship-odds-favorite-dark-horse-more-02-05-2019/

Vegas odds have us 60-1 to win the CFP next year, tied with LSU and Auburn for 5th most likely in the SEC
Collin Wilson of something called "The Action Network" rates us as the 11th best team in America for 2019, although that's only good enough for 5th in the conference.
McMurphy lists as his "dark horse" to win the SEC, mainly because he believes that Moorhead is an offensive genius

ejdallas322
02-05-2019, 07:43 PM
He has a very good point abt coaches in their second year though.

msstate7
02-05-2019, 07:43 PM
On the futures, Georgia at 8/1 is a good bet. Most books I've saw have it at 6/1.

MetEdDawg
02-05-2019, 07:46 PM

Mullen's second year care and point. That team talented but made a major jump from 5-7 to 9-4 that year.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
02-05-2019, 07:53 PM
Key has the "it" factor? I thought Moorhead was shopping around because he didn't have it.

Homedawg
02-05-2019, 08:16 PM
Mullen's second year care and point. That team talented but made a major jump from 5-7 to 9-4 that year.

Mostly because we were a year older and more experienced. Fletcher, josh Boyd bump etc. lost almost nothing off the 09 team compared to what we lose this year. Not even close to equal.

MetEdDawg
02-05-2019, 08:25 PM
Mostly because we were a year older and more experienced. Fletcher, josh Boyd bump etc. lost almost nothing off the 09 team compared to what we lose this year. Not even close to equal.

Except you can say that exact same thing for the offensive side. Return 3 OL. Return 2 solid RBs. Return all WR. And have a QB that's started and won multiple games.

But tell me teams aren't concerned about names like Rivers, Pickering, Spencer, Lewis, Errol, Dantzler, and Cole. We may not be as talented but defense won't be a pushover. They will be really good.

Tbonewannabe
02-05-2019, 08:30 PM

We lost Kyle Love and Jamar Chaney off of the 2009 and both guys were in the NFL rotation or starting their first year in the NFL. Of course you return KJ Wright and Chris White at LB and at DL you have Cox and Boyd as Sophomores.

You want to talk about shitting the bed, Mullen should have won at least 8 games with the 2011 roster. Looking back, it was Mullen's first year that he basically pouted and did a shit job because he didn't get another job at the end of the year.

BuckyIsAB****
02-05-2019, 09:03 PM
Except you can say that exact same thing for the offensive side. Return 3 OL. Return 2 solid RBs. Return all WR. And have a QB that's started and won multiple games.

But tell me teams aren't concerned about names like Rivers, Pickering, Spencer, Lewis, Errol, Dantzler, and Cole. We may not be as talented but defense won't be a pushover. They will be really good.

Contrary to some around here that want to bury us already, we are going to be good on defense again in 2019

bluelightstar
02-05-2019, 09:07 PM
Key has the "it" factor? I thought Moorhead was shopping around because he didn't have it.

I still think that’s people reading too much into Moorhead’s faith in Fitz and seeking a QB transfer who played in the CFP. It’s not like Moorhead’s been looking for any old Tom, Dick, or Harry. I’m a Key believer.

BuckyIsAB****
02-05-2019, 09:09 PM
We lost Kyle Love and Jamar Chaney off of the 2009 and both guys were in the NFL rotation or starting their first year in the NFL. Of course you return KJ Wright and Chris White at LB and at DL you have Cox and Boyd as Sophomores.

You want to talk about shitting the bed, Mullen should have won at least 8 games with the 2011 roster. Looking back, it was Mullen's first year that he basically pouted and did a shit job because he didn't get another job at the end of the year.

Yep. We got cheated at Auburn that year but other than that we let some games get away bc Mullen was being the pouty ass baby that some would come to know and love

Todd4State
02-05-2019, 09:12 PM
I still think that’s people reading too much into Moorhead’s faith in Fitz and seeking a QB transfer who played in the CFP. It’s not like Moorhead’s been looking for any old Tom, Dick, or Harry. I’m a Key believer.

I still think the main reason for going after a transfer is to give Key the opportunity to redshirt. That would in theory also allow us to not have to start Shrader until his junior year also.

BuckyIsAB****
02-05-2019, 09:14 PM
I still think the main reason for going after a transfer is to give Key the opportunity to redshirt. That would in theory also allow us to not have to start Shrader until his junior year also.

Key would leave the day we asked him to RS

bluelightstar
02-05-2019, 09:14 PM
Yep. We got cheated at Auburn that year but other than that we let some games get away bc Mullen was being the pouty ass baby that some would come to know and love

We got cheated at Auburn and Chris Wilson blew it against South Carolina. LSU, Arkansas, and Alabama were unreal that year, and Georgia was in the SECCG. This is revisionist history to make Mullen look bad.

Jack Lambert
02-05-2019, 09:15 PM
Our defense is going to be good.

Todd4State
02-05-2019, 09:17 PM

MSU coaches in my lifetime second year:

Bob Tyler- 9-3
Emory Bellard- 9-3
Rockey Felker- 4-7 (Worse than year one but also included the only Egg Bowl win of his career)
Jackie Sherrill- 7-5 (Same as year one but 1992 was a better team than 1991 and we lost our QB to injury)
Sylvester Croom- 3-8 (Same as the year before but with an Egg Bowl win)
Dan Mullen- 9-4

So historically speaking we've been really good in year two of a coaches tenure- and when we haven't we've won the Egg Bowl.

Todd4State
02-05-2019, 09:19 PM
Key would leave the day we asked him to RS

Then he is a fool. RS would only allow him to get better and have a better chance at potentially making the NFL. People complained about his play some this year- part of that is because he is developmentally where most RS freshmen are right now.

msstate7
02-05-2019, 09:21 PM
If the 2nd year is magical, keep in mind we face 3 2nd year coaches (jimbo, Pruitt, and Morris) next season. All 3 are road games

Todd4State
02-05-2019, 09:25 PM
Next year really comes down to how well Key plays. I do think he will make reads better in the option game than Nick did. Or at least I highly doubt he has 49% of our teams carries this year. That should mean more Kylin Hill. I think our receivers will look better next year as well. If Charles Cross assumes the LT position and can play like a 5 star that would be huge as well because it would put our offensive linemen into positions that fit them better. Defense still has a lot of talent- we may be better at LB than we were in 18. Certainly will be young in some spots but we still have a lot of four star talent on that side of the ball. Special teams will probably be better too because we should be better at punter no matter how that shakes out.

BuckyIsAB****
02-05-2019, 09:26 PM
We got cheated at Auburn and Chris Wilson blew it against South Carolina. LSU, Arkansas, and Alabama were unreal that year, and Georgia was in the SECCG. This is revisionist history to make Mullen look bad.

We looked like pure dog shit against UAB and had to go to OT vs La Tech at home to beat them. Mullen gonna Mullen. He had to play Tyler Russell and had no clue how to use him. Relf may have been injured I cant remember. I can excuse losing to Bama we played them great and played LSU close till Mullen quit in the 4th qtr with the game in reach, had 2 TO's left but gave up bc he didnt want anymore of their defense. Hard to say Wilson blew it against SC when we only scored 12 points to there 14 and 2 of those were a safety that SC took late in the game.

BuckyIsAB****
02-05-2019, 09:27 PM
Then he is a fool. RS would only allow him to get better and have a better chance at potentially making the NFL. People complained about his play some this year- part of that is because he is developmentally where most RS freshmen are right now.

Put yourself in that kids shoes being asked to RS after all he has done and how long he has been here.

BuckyIsAB****
02-05-2019, 09:28 PM
If the 2nd year is magical, keep in mind we face 3 2nd year coaches (jimbo, Pruitt, and Morris) next season. All 3 are road games

We are better than all 3. Jimbo is a poser. I know you are big on him but if they beat us this year a lot of it has to do with it being at A&M more than it does anything else

Todd4State
02-05-2019, 09:30 PM
Put yourself in that kids shoes being asked to RS after all he has done and how long he has been here.

If someone told me that it would give me a chance to make myself better in the long run I wouldn't have a problem with it to be honest. He has only been here for two years and a lot of college players don't start or play regularly until their junior or RS junior year.

BuckyIsAB****
02-05-2019, 09:32 PM
If someone told me that it would give me a chance to make myself better in the long run I wouldn't have a problem with it to be honest. He has only been here for two years and a lot of college players don't start or play regularly until their junior or RS junior year.

You havent been there working your rear end off everyday either and you havent won games as a starting QB for us. Neither have I, but I wouldnt blame the kid at all if he wanted to leave if we asked him to RS. I would be shocked if we ask him to do that

Barkman Turner Overdrive
02-05-2019, 09:46 PM

I?m not the biggest Mullen supporter here, but we did play the #1 and #2 teams in the country. Played top 15 GTU, Top 20 UNM, and Top 20 LSU. Played at 8-5 AU and at 8-5 Arkansas. Played (and got robbed against) a ten win UH team and played a 10 win MTSU team. We had a first year coach w Carl Torbush as DC, no WRs and a vertically challenged QB all on a team coming off five years of the Croom Error. Shit job is a little much. Still, if Lee pitches to Dixon, we go bowling that year.

yjnkdawg
02-05-2019, 10:05 PM
We are better than all 3. Jimbo is a poser. I know you are big on him but if they beat us this year a lot of it has to do with it being at A&M more than it does anything else

Everything wasn't rosy down on the FSU reservation, before Jimbo took the TAMU position. He wasn't going to get fired but he was told to make some changes, according to some in the Tallahassee area.

Todd4State
02-05-2019, 10:06 PM
You havent been there working your rear end off everyday either and you havent won games as a starting QB for us. Neither have I, but I wouldnt blame the kid at all if he wanted to leave if we asked him to RS. I would be shocked if we ask him to do that

No I haven't won any games for us at QB but even if I did I know I'm not wired to just leave because the coach tells me it would be best to redshirt. I wouldn't be happy about sitting out but at the same time I would try to see the coach's side and I think the fact that either way I would have two years left and the fact that one way has a better chance in the view of someone that I would trust (assuming I trust the head coach which I likely would) at getting to the NFL I could see where that would be convincing to some players as well. I know I would have to work hard no matter what so I don't think that would factor in very much at all at least with me.

Plus with the new redshirt rule people can play in three games and I think that would make things a little more palatable too.

msstate7
02-05-2019, 10:14 PM
Everything wasn't rosy down on the FSU reservation, before Jimbo took the TAMU position. He wasn't going to get fired but he was told to make some changes, according to some in the Tallahassee area.

aTm was a 9-win team this year surpassing all projections. Change Clemson in the OOC to Kansas st (our P5), Miami (LSU's), Louisville (bama's), Texas tech (OM's), etc, and aTm was a NY6 bowl team in year 1. Jimbo has a top 5 class with more 96 or higher rated players in this class than any sumlin ever got. Jimbo has won a natty, and won 9 or more in 8 of his 9 seasons as a HC. It is beyond ridiculous the same ones here that run jimbo down are the same ones that prop joe up.

dawgday166
02-05-2019, 10:19 PM
I'm not buying us as a dark horse for SEC title next year myself. I'd be happy with another 4-4 record to be honest. We just lose too much, especially in leadership, off of this past year's team. And we have a new starting QB which usually causes a couple of bumps in the road. It's not a total rebuild or anything, but replacing Simmons and Abram will be difficult IMO.

ETA: And we play all of our "toss-up" SEC games on the road. Has 4-4 at best written all over it next year.

yjnkdawg
02-05-2019, 10:26 PM

I would be shocked too if we asked him to red shirt now. That may sound good to some, but to him it would be like a slap in the face. I don't see him looking favorable at all on that proposition, although our staff is smarter than to do something like that.

yjnkdawg
02-05-2019, 10:28 PM
aTm was a 9-win team this year surpassing all projections. Change Clemson in the OOC to Kansas st (our P5), Miami (LSU's), Louisville (bama's), Texas tech (OM's), etc, and aTm was a NY6 bowl team in year 1. Jimbo has a top 5 class with more 96 or higher rated players in this class than any sumlin ever got. Jimbo has won a natty, and won 9 or more in 8 of his 9 seasons as a HC. It is beyond ridiculous the same ones here that run jimbo down are the same ones that prop joe up.

I don't guess you knew that Taggart's name was floating around down there prior to Jimbo taking the TAMU job.

msstate7
02-05-2019, 10:32 PM
I don't guess you knew that Taggart's name was floating around down there prior to Jimbo taking the TAMU job.

I don't doubt that at all. Fan bases can be extremely stupid sometimes. Hell, Florida essentially ran off urban Meyer wanting him to go to a pro style offense bc of a bad 7-5 season for them. Florida paid the price for being stupid... looks like FSU will too

yjnkdawg
02-05-2019, 10:46 PM
I don't doubt that at all. Fan bases can be extremely stupid sometimes. Hell, Florida essentially ran off urban Meyer wanting him to go to a pro style offense bc of a bad 7-5 season for them. Florida paid the price for being stupid... looks like FSU will too

Speaking of FL. They didn't want Taggart coming back, to FSU and them having to recruit against him, and that was before Mullen was announced as their coach. I'm not saying Jimbo isn't a good coach. I don't think he is an elite coach, but time will tell on that. I also think that Taggart will do a good job once he gets his players in place, but that 's to be determined too.

Tbonewannabe
02-05-2019, 10:47 PM
I?m not the biggest Mullen supporter here, but we did play the #1 and #2 teams in the country. Played top 15 GTU, Top 20 UNM, and Top 20 LSU. Played at 8-5 AU and at 8-5 Arkansas. Played (and got robbed against) a ten win UH team and played a 10 win MTSU team. We had a first year coach w Carl Torbush as DC, no WRs and a vertically challenged QB all on a team coming off five years of the Croom Error. Shit job is a little much. Still, if Lee pitches to Dixon, we go bowling that year.

I was referring to Mullen's 3rd year where we won 6 games with a lot of NFL talent and a senior QB and senior NFL RB.

Quaoarsking
02-05-2019, 10:51 PM

He can start in 2019 and 2020, or he could redshirt and start in 2020 and 2021. But if he redshirts in 2019, he'll probably have a better overall career. (All of the above assumes that he wins the job, which is not guaranteed.)

preachermatt83
02-05-2019, 10:59 PM
Not true.. I think they both suck

BuckyIsAB****
02-05-2019, 11:07 PM

Moorhead is 1-0 vs Jimbo Fisher remember that before you crown him. And add in the fact that for the most part, Jimbo underachieved at FSU and it was a culture disaster when he left. They are feeling the effects of it now. Jimbo played 1 team in the ACC that could recruit close to him and that is Clemson and if you are going to argue FSU vs Clemson or Dabo vs Jimbo I cant help you

BuckyIsAB****
02-05-2019, 11:07 PM
He can start in 2019 and 2020, or he could redshirt and start in 2020 and 2021. But if he redshirts in 2019, he'll probably have a better overall career. (All of the above assumes that he wins the job, which is not guaranteed.)

KT aint redshirting. Yall can hang that up

yjnkdawg
02-05-2019, 11:16 PM
Moorhead is 1-0 vs Jimbo Fisher remember that before you crown him. And add in the fact that for the most part, Jimbo underachieved at FSU and it was a culture disaster when he left. They are feeling the effects of it now. Jimbo played 1 team in the ACC that could recruit close to him and that is Clemson and if you are going to argue FSU vs Clemson or Dabo vs Jimbo I cant help you

Bingo!

msstate7
02-05-2019, 11:36 PM

Could auburn recruit close to him in the natty he won over them?

Todd4State
02-05-2019, 11:38 PM

The SEC officials and that joke of their game with LSU deserves an asterisk. The SEC did everything that they could do to get A&M to a Florida bowl. For all intents and purposes they were a 7 win team.

msstate7
02-05-2019, 11:41 PM
The SEC officials and that joke of their game with LSU deserves an asterisk. The SEC did everything that they could do to get A&M to a Florida bowl. For all intents and purposes they were a 7 win team.

Guess you docking their bowl win too. We don't count bowl wins when we lose ours

Bothrops
02-06-2019, 12:38 AM
We should be decent on defense, but I don't expect anything close to what we did last year on that side. Our offense is going to have to score much more quickly and way more often for us to go bowling.

Todd4State
02-06-2019, 01:25 AM
Guess you docking their bowl win too. We don't count bowl wins when we lose ours

They would have won the Music City Bowl which is where they really deserved to go to.

I guess 8 wins makes him worse than Joe since we beat them head to head? Or does that not count either?

Todd4State
02-06-2019, 01:27 AM
We should be decent on defense, but I don't expect anything close to what we did last year on that side. Our offense is going to have to score much more quickly and way more often for us to go bowling.

We should go bowling next year at a minimum even if Key struggles and the defense is way worse than expected. And I don't think we're going to have a lot of trouble doing so. The funny thing is the media doesn't agree with some of our fans about where our program stands- we've already been mentioned as a top 25 team by others.

dawgs
02-06-2019, 02:06 AM

Most NFL QBs are not in college for 5 years. Between being talented enough to leave early and talented enough to play early, not many NFL QBs are needing a redshirt season 3 years into their career because they still need to improve just to start on the college level. A NFL guy is too good to keep off the field by the time he's a 3rd year player. If he's not forcing the issue, it's cause he's not a NFL player.

Barkman Turner Overdrive
02-06-2019, 06:48 AM
I was referring to Mullen's 3rd year where we won 6 games with a lot of NFL talent and a senior QB and senior NFL RB.

Sorry. You are correct about 2011. That was the second worst year (behind 2016) of his tenure.

Tbonewannabe
02-06-2019, 08:38 AM
Sorry. You are correct about 2011. That was the second worst year (behind 2016) of his tenure.

And 2016 was Mullen's version of trying to force Fitz to run the offense like Dak similar to what Moorhead did for most of this year.

KentuckyDawg13
02-06-2019, 09:55 AM
Sports writers should not drink while writing/predicting.

Todd4State
02-06-2019, 09:56 AM
Most NFL QBs are not in college for 5 years. Between being talented enough to leave early and talented enough to play early, not many NFL QBs are needing a redshirt season 3 years into their career because they still need to improve just to start on the college level. A NFL guy is too good to keep off the field by the time he's a 3rd year player. If he's not forcing the issue, it's cause he's not a NFL player.

And so we shouldn't give him the opportunity to better himself and give him the best chance because he's not Peyton Manning? Dak was here for five years for example and that was probably a good move for him at that point in his career.

BB30
02-06-2019, 10:05 AM
We should go bowling next year at a minimum even if Key struggles and the defense is way worse than expected. And I don't think we're going to have a lot of trouble doing so. The funny thing is the media doesn't agree with some of our fans about where our program stands- we've already been mentioned as a top 25 team by others.

It is pretty funny, every year we have fans on here complaining about not getting any respect from the media. We finally start getting some continued respect and we have fans trying to explain why the media is wrong and that we are going to be terrible.

It really is a conundrum I can't seem to wrap my head around.

BuckyIsAB****
02-06-2019, 10:30 AM
It is pretty funny, every year we have fans on here complaining about not getting any respect from the media. We finally start getting some continued respect and we have fans trying to explain why the media is wrong and that we are going to be terrible.

Because they are living in the moment like 15 year olds. Its ok. Let them do their thing. None of what any of us say is going to have any effect on how many we win or lose anyway.

Im not going to waste time in a pissing match with a guy who is damned and determined to fire a guy after 8-5 but spent 8 years defending a guy who half assed it for at least half of those if not more

ArrowDawg
02-06-2019, 02:26 PM

Historically, we underachieve with high expectations from the media. We just proved that again this past season. Our best teams and best seasons almost always come when nobody outside of Starkville thinks we're worth talking about. I don't know why that is, but it just is.

RougeDawg
02-06-2019, 02:39 PM
Our defense will play well enough to sleep walk to 7-8 wins next year. As much as we lost, we still have many future NFL guys on defense. The only thing keeping us from winning more than 8 is the offense. Plain and simple.

BuckyIsAB****
02-06-2019, 06:33 PM
Could auburn recruit close to him in the natty he won over them?

Yeah but thats one game for a guy that you are crowning as the next Bear. How about us? We beat his ass. How about all those teams he let beat FSU or all the games FSU played down to their competition? How about getting beat like a drum by an Oregon team with virtually the same team he had the year before but lost them. He had to come from behind all year long with a much more talented team because he allowed them to do whatever the hell they wanted. It showed and it will show at A&M. Jimbo is about Jimbo and no one else.

BuckyIsAB****
02-06-2019, 06:34 PM
Historically, we underachieve with high expectations from the media. We just proved that again this past season. Our best teams and best seasons almost always come when nobody outside of Starkville thinks we're worth talking about. I don't know why that is, but it just is.

Yep. Its bc I dont know if we have truly learned to handle success. Mullen couldnt do it bc one foot was out of the door. He half assed it to bowl games but if he was all in and didnt hang it up after the Bama game every year we wouldve been better than we were

Todd4State
02-07-2019, 02:31 AM

We have to be the only fan base that does this too. I'm honestly excited about next year. I would love for us to beat USM and Ole Miss in the same year. We have too many fans that care about their message board cred I guess- "If Joe doesn't win 10 with this team he should be fahrd!!!"

Because they are living in the moment like 15 year olds. Its ok. Let them do their thing. None of what any of us say is going to have any effect on how many we win or lose anyway.

Im not going to waste time in a pissing match with a guy who is damned and determined to fire a guy after 8-5 but spent 8 years defending a guy who half assed it for at least half of those if not more

Words from the wise. After years of defending Dan we just had a Dan year with Dan's players and now it's not good enough. We have too many fans that don't understand how things can go sideways pretty quickly in sports. We look better this year if Kentucky doesn't have their best team in 40 years. We lost to four ten win teams and then our bowl game- which was a NYD bowl- and had a chance to win that one late.

If you have high expectations the margin for doing better is a lot smaller. I do agree with Bucky that our players don't know how to handle success well and IMO listen too much to our fans mainly probably moreso than the media nowadays. I think some of that is team leadership too- especially this last year. One of our captains was a guy that was suspended for game one and is a known party animal. I think that teams need good leaders that are players to succeed at a high level. Ideally you would have a Dak that is a special talent on the field and off the field in terms of intangibles. Or even a Barrin Simpson- and I think he was such a good leader that him graduating was a big reason for Joe Lee Dunn's drop off on defense. Those are the types of players we need to reach our expectations when they are high. And I guarantee you that our teams that did achieve a lot of great things high expectations or not had those types of leaders on the team.

BrunswickDawg
02-07-2019, 07:55 AM
Not to start a Fitz fight - because most of your post is right on Todd -

But, I think the party animal thing is no indication at all of wether someone is a good leader. John Bond was a dang character out of a Burt Reynolds movie - and our fans love him and he led his teams. And, if you don't think Dak partied, you haven't paid attention.

The suspension is a different thing. But, I can think of plenty of leaders around football who have been suspended for one thing or another over the years. To me, the suspension was a bigger indicator that Joe was having to reign in stuff that his predecessor had allowed - or else why would a 5th year senior think he could violate rules and get away with it? From my experience, players always know how far they can push the rules with coaches. I think you can make the argument that Fitz may not have been a strong leader, or wasn't the type of leader the team needed. But, we also have no real idea about any of since we aren't there.

msstate7
02-07-2019, 08:07 AM
Yeah but thats one game for a guy that you are crowning as the next Bear. How about us? We beat his ass. How about all those teams he let beat FSU or all the games FSU played down to their competition? How about getting beat like a drum by an Oregon team with virtually the same team he had the year before but lost them. He had to come from behind all year long with a much more talented team because he allowed them to do whatever the hell they wanted. It showed and it will show at A&M. Jimbo is about Jimbo and no one else.

The next bear? Ok, just make us stuff why don't you

All I've said about jimbo is he's a massive upgrade over sumlin, and that aTm will soon be a year-in, year-out 2nd place contender in the west. They'll battle auburn and LSU for a NY6 bowl. If jimbo gets a special qb, he might beat Bama. Jimbo to aTm was pretty much a death sentence to miss state 9-win regular seasons.