PDA

View Full Version : Baseball Knee Jerk Small Sample Size reaction

Todd4State
02-03-2019, 12:45 AM
1. Tyler Spring will be the midweek starter for us. I think that will allow us to use MacLoud as the LHP relief guy.

2. Hayden Jones will be the second catcher for us and may displace Skelton.

AlSwearengen
02-03-2019, 11:42 AM
Todd, have you seen any reports from the scrimmage yesterday? Did Spring pitch yesterday? I’m waiting to see how Cerantola does and if he didn’t pitch yesterday, today has to be the day I would think.

And unless Skelton has made major improvement, you have to think they are putting Jones in a position to gradually take over the catching position. I saw where he went 3 for 3 the other day.

I’m also getting the feeling from some reports that Basiel Williams might end up being a player. He supposedly made a couple of diving catches the other day and hit the ball pretty well.

I don’t see how Landon Jordan isn’t in the lineup. He sounds like a high 300’s hitter. There is talk of Hatcher being improved but how do you get him and Jordan in the lineup together unless someone we have penciled in as a starter struggles unexpectedly.

Lumpy Chucklelips
02-03-2019, 02:34 PM
Todd...what what Price's velo in '17? Saw where he pitched yesterday with velo's in low 80's. I know he's coming back from TJ, but just wondered where he was prior and how much he has to go to get back there velo wise.

Todd4State
02-03-2019, 04:43 PM
Todd, have you seen any reports from the scrimmage yesterday? Did Spring pitch yesterday? I’m waiting to see how Cerantola does and if he didn’t pitch yesterday, today has to be the day I would think.

And unless Skelton has made major improvement, you have to think they are putting Jones in a position to gradually take over the catching position. I saw where he went 3 for 3 the other day.

I’m also getting the feeling from some reports that Basiel Williams might end up being a player. He supposedly made a couple of diving catches the other day and hit the ball pretty well.

I don’t see how Landon Jordan isn’t in the lineup. He sounds like a high 300’s hitter. There is talk of Hatcher being improved but how do you get him and Jordan in the lineup together unless someone we have penciled in as a starter struggles unexpectedly.

Spring threw three innings and only allowed one hit. As far as the catchers- as I have said before I'm expecting us to use two for at least most of the season. Basiel is having a good spring so far and is turning some heads. Which is good because we need someone to replace Jake next year. Jordan's problem right now is his defense and the fact that he hasn't won a spot in the field. And there is only one DH spot. We may platoon Hatcher and Jordan if both perform reasonably well.

Todd...what what Price's velo in '17? Saw where he pitched yesterday with velo's in low 80's. I know he's coming back from TJ, but just wondered where he was prior and how much he has to go to get back there velo wise.

I think Price was in the high 80's in 17. Maybe low 90's some. I'm expecting a season similar to Blake Smith last year from him.

MaroonFlounder
02-03-2019, 05:32 PM
I saw where Gilbert was playing 3rd base some. Does that mean his days as a catcher are over, or will he have bullpen catching duties?

Todd4State
02-03-2019, 05:40 PM
I saw where Gilbert was playing 3rd base some. Does that mean his days as a catcher are over, or will he have bullpen catching duties?

I believe it means he is done catching unless we have injuries at the position.

Homedawg
02-03-2019, 08:21 PM
1. Tyler Spring will be the midweek starter for us. I think that will allow us to use MacLoud as the LHP relief guy.

2. Hayden Jones will be the second catcher for us and may displace Skelton.

Jones problem on the fall was behind the dish. Not at the plate. Hope we just have a competent catcher.

HoopsDawg
02-03-2019, 08:37 PM
Jones problem on the fall was behind the dish. Not at the plate. Hope we just have a competent catcher.

Skelton is not going quietly. He had a pretty good fall at the plate and he's had some hits in the scrimmages as well. Easy to forget that he was drafted out of high school. As for Hayden Jones, hopefully Cheese has coached him up in the offseason b/c his bat appears to be legit and he has a cannon.

Todd4State
02-03-2019, 09:11 PM

Which may be why Luke Hancock could get a chance to win the job too.

Todd4State
02-03-2019, 09:11 PM
Skelton is not going quietly. He had a pretty good fall at the plate and he's had some hits in the scrimmages as well. Easy to forget that he was drafted out of high school. As for Hayden Jones, hopefully Cheese has coached him up in the offseason b/c his bat appears to be legit and he has a cannon.

Skelton had some big hits in the postseason as well. Especially in the Regional. And you're right- he's not backing down quietly.

Pedrioa is King
02-03-2019, 11:15 PM
And you can add Brad Cumbest here. Will he make the roster?

Todd4State
02-03-2019, 11:37 PM
And you can add Brad Cumbest here. Will he make the roster?

No question in my mind that Cumbest makes the roster.

BuckyIsAB****
02-04-2019, 11:39 AM
No question in my mind that Cumbest makes the roster.

That kid oughta be able to hit them to Davis Wade as big as he is

Political Hack
02-04-2019, 12:03 PM
That kid oughta be able to hit them to Davis Wade as big as he is

He's gonna put one in the lake.

louisvilledawg
02-04-2019, 12:07 PM
Did Ross Bell's (MSU Golfer) brother make the team?