PDA

View Full Version : Big win!!!

Liverpooldawg
02-02-2019, 05:34 PM
The best thing is the coming out party for Perry. He was a monster today!

BB30
02-02-2019, 05:37 PM
Yep monster win. Perry is gonna be a beast. There will continue to be some ups and downs as young as he is but he definitely has a chance to be special.

Hopefully he’ll continue to get more and more minutes. Also, Woodard is getting there. Good nucleus for the next few years.

msstate7
02-02-2019, 05:38 PM
Huge win. Great job, howland and team

Howboutdemdogs
02-02-2019, 05:40 PM
Sweet! We needed that, and now if we can pull 2 out the next three (KY, LSU, BAMA) we will be just fine!

msbulldog
02-02-2019, 05:44 PM
Q was the man today!

Magician12
02-02-2019, 05:48 PM
Huge win. Reggie Perry needs to be playing 32-35 min a game. Massive difference maker today. Ole miss shot lights out and we still won. Glad I can now enjoy my Saturday lol

Liverpooldawg
02-02-2019, 05:56 PM
Perry is a starter now I think.

StarkVegasSteve
02-02-2019, 06:00 PM
Kudos to Howland for sitting Holman, I didn’t think he’d do it. Also.....Reggie Perry=Jeran Jackson Jr.

Commercecomet24
02-02-2019, 06:02 PM
Needed that one! Glad to see Perry getting more time. He was huge! Team closed the game out with effort and intensity! Ado was big defensively the last 10 minutes. Big win! Great job by staff and players!

MetEdDawg
02-02-2019, 06:03 PM
Perry and Q are the only ones that can consistently alter the game. Peters sort of can but only if he gets hot from 3.

Those 2 guys are what make this team flow because they both rebound, the both can operate in the paint, and they can handle the ball outside the 3 point line.

MarketingBully
02-02-2019, 06:08 PM
Kudos to Howland for sitting Holman, I didn’t think he’d do it. Also.....Reggie Perry=Jeran Jackson Jr.

I love the message it sends most of all. If you don’t play defense, you aren’t going to play. Our defense was much better with Holman on the bench. Perry is going to make a lot of money in the NBA.

shannondawg
02-02-2019, 06:17 PM
I might be wrong but I don't remember seeing Holman in 2nd half.

MarketingBully
02-02-2019, 06:20 PM
I might be wrong but I don't remember seeing Holman in 2nd half.

You didn’t. He didn’t play the second half. Maybe he was in briefly at the beginning of the half.

msstate7
02-02-2019, 06:22 PM
I'm not completely done with Holman, but I wanna severely limit his mins. I do think he can help us in short spurts

Liverpooldawg
02-02-2019, 06:23 PM
I love the message it sends most of all. If you don’t play defense, you aren’t going to play. Our defense was much better with Holman on the bench. Perry is going to make a lot of money in the NBA.

Richard Williams had to be smiling over that!

RocketDawg
02-02-2019, 06:34 PM
Was on the golf course, so just finished watching my recording. Q played great, Perry is going to be fantastic. Can't beleive Peters missed all those free throws though ... maybe he needs somebody guarding him when he's at the line.

Great 2nd half by the dogs.

BuckyIsAB****
02-02-2019, 06:50 PM
The real question is will OM still be a basketball school tomorrow

Goldendawg
02-02-2019, 08:09 PM
The real question is will OM still be a basketball school tomorrow

No, they will be back to thinking that they are a baseball school by Monday. If they are the "flagship", it is taking on water fast!

chef dixon
02-02-2019, 09:45 PM
Say what you want about Perry, and he was great, but this game was all about Q Weatherspoon. He was phenomenal. I don't think i've ever seen him play a game that crisp and with that much energy from start to finish.

We are going to need Holman going forward if we want to make some noise this year. Hopefully he will start to get it together. He was big in the non conference.

Pit Bull
02-02-2019, 10:05 PM
Say what you want about Perry, and he was great, but this game was all about Q Weatherspoon. He was phenomenal. I don't think i've ever seen him play a game that crisp and with that much energy from start to finish.

We are going to need Holman going forward if we want to make some noise this year. Hopefully he will start to get it together. He was big in the non conference.

Q was unconscious.

Jack Lambert
02-02-2019, 10:13 PM
Huge win. Reggie Perry needs to be playing 32-35 min a game. Massive difference maker today. Ole miss shot lights out and we still won. Glad I can now enjoy my Saturday lol

5 star freshman should be on the court.

maroonmania
02-02-2019, 10:16 PM

Holman probably needs to go back to his 6th man role that worked so well late last year. Aric is a good offensively player but it seems what he gives you on offense he gives up that much and more with his lazy defense.

BiscuitEater
02-02-2019, 10:58 PM
Peters sort of can but only if he gets hot from 3.

Peters 6 assists were crucial today .. along with his ability to break their trapping press. Wish he could avoid the 'out of control' moments that caused 4 TOs!

Liverpooldawg
02-02-2019, 11:29 PM

It was a breakthrough game for Perry. It was also the best game Q has ever played. The two are not mutually exclusive. Awesome game.

Schultzy
02-02-2019, 11:33 PM
Holman probably needs to go back to his 6th man role that worked so well late last year. Aric is a good offensively player but it seems what he gives you on offense he gives up that much and more with his lazy defense.
He blocks shots that few others in college hoops can and shoots the 3 well when his feet are set, but you are right that more of his minutes need to go to Perry and Woodard.

Dawg61
02-03-2019, 12:11 AM

Not to pile on but Holman really isn't a good offensive player either.

Lord McBuckethead
02-03-2019, 02:06 AM
Just finished watching the game. Here are a few things I noticed.

1. Both teams played with an energy today. I hate to give UM credit for anything, but they played a tough game and just came on the short end, like they should.

2. Q set the tone early when he dove completely horizontal to grab the loose ball. That is the type of play we sometimes don't make. He did, and it saved the turnover and added 3 pts to the game. Hustle, the only thing in basketball you have 100% control of as a player. We had it in spots today we didn't in games past. More on Q here in a bit.

3. Perry and Woodard had so many opportunities today. Take Perry for instance, dude finished with 21 pts and could have easily had 30. He and Woodard continue to find ways to touch the ball. I imagine Lawrence Roberts looked like Perry his freshman year. I cannot wait for his game to take the next step where he makes those layups and learns to position his shot and body to gather the "and 1" opportunities. Both Mario Austin and LRoberts figured out how to draw contact but keep themselves clear for the shot as well. When you go back and rewatch, Perry missed a few point blank shots and probably should have taken it up for a strong dunk on a few of them. He will continue to get better, bigger, stronger. Woodard is a lightning bolt out there. Once he gets on average 30 minutes a night, dang he is going to be that tough guy we need. I really hope he becomes the leader of this team. His energy and I hope his competitiveness will demand hustle from everyone. I don't care if he is a freshman, he needs to build his cred on this team and start calling out demanding hustle. He is playing his role very well, but I could see him being that guy that sets the standard.

4. Lamar Peters, didn't have the best production day today, and that is completely fine for this team. He can fill it up when needed, but his maturity really shown through today in my opinion. He was off. He was missing FTs. He was having issue finishing at the rim. And when the game was on the line, he passed the ball to Q, who was ON today. A simple pass to Q forced them to put him on the line at yhe end. Smart play by Peters. I hope his assist keeps going up as Perry and Woodard keep getting the ball deep down low.

5. Nick, dang man great game given you have a 65% flat tire. Once again, solid game on both ends of the court. Moving forward, I would love to see Peters try to set him up for catch and shoot opportunities. Great job today when you were not 100%. Also I have no problem with Nick taking clean shots regardless of where he is on the court. Keep shooting 18 footers, when you were like 4 for 4 from midrange.

6. Holmann, man we need you to get rid of the shanks. You are shooting the ball to flat. Watch yhe tape, looks like you are 3 to 4 feet lower arc on your shots. Peters too. I have seen you play better down low defense. We need you to wait for the shot and get blocks comsistantly every play. The offense will come around, we need some intensity on defense from your position. You got this man.

7. Ado, great defense down the stretch. Offensively you are struggling right now. Keep the ball high, do not dribble, and get your shot off. Last year you were much better at a catch and hook. Got to get atleast 10 out of you.

8. Carter played his role well tonight. Couple of turnovers, ill advised, but stuff happens. Good game.

9. Q.......bet UM is ready for him to leave MSU. Great game all around. Maybe one of your best games. Good defense. Good hustle on the 50-50 balls. Slick ball didn't effect you hitting your three pointers right in the eyes. We need that intensity from here on out. Get us to the tourney.

All in all, we could have lost the game today. UM was also hustling. 3 shots bounce different and we lose that one. Hard fought games where one team is showing more hustle usually make for great games.

The one thing we can control is how we hustle, rebound, and defend. Today we did well. Tomorrow we need to do it better and the day after that better still.

This team deserves a great crowd at the hump. Let's give it to them.

shannondawg
02-03-2019, 09:51 AM
You didn?t. He didn?t play the second half. Maybe he was in briefly at the beginning of the half.

After going back to game, he was and got a little bump and threw up a erratic shot and then let down on D and got jerked. Never saw the floor again. The article in the CL on Petty pretty much told why Holman didn't start. And that's being nice.