PDA

View Full Version : Baseball Alumni Game

monroedawg5646
02-02-2019, 03:11 PM
I?m watching Texas have their alumni game. They had Roger Clemens pitch the first inning, and he looked pretty damn good btw. I?m just wondering can we not do the same? I know we?ve got a good number of guys in the Majors right now not to mention the big time names that have retired. This could be a huge event to help promote our team and brand, not to mention wowing some recruits. I see nothing but positives from something like this.

Todd4State
02-02-2019, 06:21 PM
We have done that before. Typically in the fall.

msbulldog
02-02-2019, 07:08 PM
I?m watching Texas have their alumni game. They had Roger Clemens pitch the first inning, and he looked pretty damn good btw. I?m just wondering can we not do the same? I know we?ve got a good number of guys in the Majors right now not to mention the big time names that have retired. This could be a huge event to help promote our team and brand, not to mention wowing some recruits. I see nothing but positives from something like this.

Hey Monroe, I'm in West Monroe PM me let's go drink a beer!

monroedawg5646
02-02-2019, 07:27 PM
We have done that before. Typically in the fall.
I was thinking we had done this before in the fall. I just think it would have much more potential if it was done the wk end before season started and was more like a real game.

monroedawg5646
02-02-2019, 07:31 PM
Hey Monroe, I'm in West Monroe PM me let's go drink a beer!
I?d love to drink 6 or 8 with you, but that?s Monroe county MS.

Todd4State
02-02-2019, 07:47 PM
I was thinking we had done this before in the fall. I just think it would have much more potential if it was done the wk end before season started and was more like a real game.

Well, the last one I went to they played it like a real game pretty much. I do think that having it in the spring would be OK as well. The tricky thing is the pro players report to spring training in February and some of them play into late October or even rarely early November. That only really leaves about three and a half months where the pro players are "off".

I imagine a lot of the current pro players would just show up to sign autographs and hang out with their MSU baseball friends because I imagine a lot of their organizations don't want them getting hurt trying to one up Jake Mangum and injuring themselves.

With the new stadium construction and all of the coaching turnover the past few years I'm sure the Alumni Game has been on the backburner for awhile now. With things settled down I suspect it will come back pretty soon within the next three years or less.

IMissJack
02-03-2019, 12:05 PM
I'd be surprised if a guy in major league would have a contract that allowed him to participate in something like that. Too big of a chance for injury.