Vandy
LSU
Florida
State
Ole Miss
Georgia
Auburn
Arkansas

All ranked. USM ranked as well. Should be a good rpi year, but going to be a tough schedule. That's why SEC baseball is so great...huge series every week.

#9 is a high ranking after a magical run last year...hopefully we can deliver on the hype

ShotgunDawg
02-02-2019, 10:02 AM
They are way light on Arkansas.

They have the best lineup in the country and should be top 5 with a Thunder & Lightening type situation right now in the middle of their order. Of which neither is the one that will be drafted in the top 50 picks this year but both should be top 5 overall picks in 2020

Vandy isn't a top 10 team this year. Very light lineup.

Florida will be good but is replacing a ton.

I'm not really sure what to expect from us.

Overall, the SEC will be really, really good this year. Compared to last year, the league lacks top end Friday night pitching, other than Doxakis at A&M. Campbell at Ark, Hess at LSU, Burns at Auburn, and a few others are all talented, but not quite the combination of Knight, Singer, Kowar, Rolison, Pilkington, etc that we saw last year. Thus, IMO you're going to have to score 6 runs to think about beating Arkansas & that could make them the favorite

MarketingBully
02-02-2019, 10:27 AM

They have the best lineup in the country and should be top 5 with a Thunder & Lightening type situation right now in the middle of their order. Of which neither is the one that will be drafted in the top 50 picks this year but both should be top 5 overall picks in 2020

Overall, the SEC will be really, really good this year. Compared to last year, the league lacks top end Friday night pitching, other than Doxakis at A&M. Campbell at Ark, Hess at LSU, Burns at Auburn, and a few others are all talented, but not quite the combination of Knight, Singer, Kowar, Rolison, Pilkington, etc that we saw last year. Thus, IMO you're going to have to score 6 runs to think about beating Arkansas & that could make them the favorite

You don’t like our lineup and starting pitching? We have a ton of talent and our SP could be outstanding. Small is a great ace to throw out there on Friday with a solid 2 in James and if we start Ginn on Sunday I don’t think anyone could match him as a Sunday starter. I get your concerns at SS and 2B but the talent and range to get to the ball in the middle of the infield will be there. Our lineup will be pretty stout. I think we will see a big step up from the Sophomores as well and I think Eli’s power numbers will go up.

MarketingBully
02-02-2019, 10:29 AM
Btw we have the best player in the SEC in Jake Mangum as a senior. I think we will be okay...

ShotgunDawg
02-02-2019, 10:32 AM
You don’t like our lineup and starting pitching? We have a ton of talent and our SP could be outstanding. Small is a great ace to throw out there on Friday with a solid 2 in James and if we start Ginn on Sunday I don’t think anyone could match him as a Sunday starter. I get your concerns at SS and 2B but the talent and range to get to the ball in the middle of the infield will be there. Our lineup will be pretty stout. I think we will see a big step up from the Sophomores as well and I think Eli’s power numbers will go up.

I do like us, but I think Arkansas is clearly better.

ShotgunDawg
02-02-2019, 10:34 AM
Btw we have the best player in the SEC in Jake Mangum as a senior. I think we will be okay...

Magnum is a stud and likely big leaguer but he's not the best player in the conference. The best player in the conference IMO is Casey Martin the SS at Arkansas and likely #1 overall pick in the 2020 draft.

MarketingBully
02-02-2019, 10:43 AM

They basically lost most to all of their starting pitching and mini-me. Do they have a lot of potential with some high end pieces? Sure, but I doubt they will be a national seed nor do I think they make a CWS trip. There’s a reason BA has them 18th.

ShotgunDawg
02-02-2019, 11:38 AM
They basically lost most to all of their starting pitching and mini-me. Do they have a lot of potential with some high end pieces? Sure, but I doubt they will be a national seed nor do I think they make a CWS trip. There’s a reason BA has them 18th.

They lost Knight and Murphy but have a crazy good bullpen and enough talent to be good on the weekend.

MarketingBully
02-02-2019, 11:51 AM
They lost Knight and Murphy but have a crazy good bullpen and enough talent to be good on the weekend.

Still a hell of a lot of unknowns and a justifiable 18th ranking.

Pit Bull
02-02-2019, 03:13 PM
LSU keeping their 3 star players from going pro baffles me. Amazing they were able to keep all 3 for this season. Makes them clearly formidable as well. PLUS.....they have the #1 recruiting class coming in. LSU about to be back in Omaha soon, if not this year.

Maroons
02-02-2019, 10:21 PM

You are way wrong about Vandy. They are loaded.

Jack Lambert
02-02-2019, 10:30 PM
We are a blue blood in baseball. We need a NC!

AlSwearengen
02-02-2019, 10:41 PM
17’n Vandy started more freshmen than we did last year and they were tough as hell. We outwilled them in the supers. Definitely didn’t out talent them. Arkansas has some really good players but they also lost a lot.

We need a return trip to Omaha to really get the attention of the top players. We need to string trips together the way Vandy and Florida did.

Bdawg
02-03-2019, 12:18 AM

I thought AR was a veteran team last year and was losing quite a few?

Schultzy
02-03-2019, 12:34 AM
Just to be on the record, I like Lemonis.

Todd4State
02-03-2019, 01:05 AM
I think we're going to be really good and possibly better than last year at least during the regular season.

1. We are MUCH more stable.

2. We have a baseball stadium and a ton of home games.

3. We upgraded at pitching coach while keeping our hitting coach who is really good.

4. We aren't starting as many freshmen as last year.

5. Small is a legit SEC ace who has started in Omaha. We're adding a first round pick behind him in the rotation and then another fourth year player in Keegan James. Then we have four proven bullpen arms- Gordon, Price, Self, and Plumlee and are adding two high ceiling freshmen in Eric Cerentola and Christian McLeoud who will pitch a lot for us. Tyler Spring looked really good today and may be the midweek guy.

6. We have a catching coach and that will help Skelton out a lot. Gilbert has moved to third base. Hayden Jones, Luke Hancock, and Tucker Childers added with Skelton give us a much deeper group here than last year too. So, if Skelton looks like he is playing on roller skates again his ass will probably sit. I think he will be fine though.

7. Tanner Allen is a good player and is a guy that should hit .300 with a lot of doubles and triples. Halter and Westburg have looked better than expected defensively in practice. I'm hoping Westburg and Foscue take big steps this spring.

8. We return our entire OF with Rowdey Jordan, Mangum and MacNamee who has been showing power already in scrimmages. Basiel Williams has been playing really well in the OF and if we have to move Rowdey Basiel could get a shot at LF.

9. DH is between Landon Jordan, Josh Hatcher, and Ginn.

10. Our SEC schedule is tough but not impossible. At Florida but also at Tennessee. Have Georgia and South Carolina in Starkville. Ole Miss, Arkansas, and A&M on the road will be tough. Have LSU in Starkville along with Bama and Auburn. We miss Vanderbilt.

starkvegasdawg
02-03-2019, 02:07 AM

Can they catch a pop foul this year?

TNDawg35
02-03-2019, 08:26 AM
Just to be on the record, I like Lemonis.

What the 17 is wrong with you! You can’t say shit like that here... You will get banned***

Schultzy
02-03-2019, 09:13 AM
What the 17 is wrong with you! You can’t say shit like that here... You will get banned***
Ha! No kidding.

His Indiana teams were free swingers and Mashed the baseball, you don’t build a non-existant program if you’re not a damn good baseball coach.

IMissJack
02-03-2019, 12:00 PM
We are a blue blood in baseball. We need a NC!

We painfully missed that shot in '13 against UCLA. But we deserve one in baseball for sure.

Noxdog
02-03-2019, 12:46 PM
Ha! No kidding.

His Indiana teams were free swingers and Mashed the baseball, you don?t build a non-existant program if you?re not a damn good baseball coach.

Tracy Smith built IU.

biggun
02-03-2019, 12:53 PM
?Dudy Nobel Field??????? Morons

Pit Bull
02-03-2019, 02:47 PM
If we can't win it all, I wouldn't mind seeing Mike Martin and FSU take it. He has been there with nothing to show for it about as many times as we have. And this is his last shot at it.

WPS
02-04-2019, 11:34 PM

They have the best lineup in the country and should be top 5 with a Thunder & Lightening type situation right now in the middle of their order. Of which neither is the one that will be drafted in the top 50 picks this year but both should be top 5 picks in 2020

I mean I can see why. There is a lot of newness in the lineup outside of Kjerstad, Martin and Fletcher. Catcher and first base are a little concerning. And Campbell was pretty inconsistent last year though he has a ton of talent. Knight went 14-0 last year which is remarkable.

I could see us finishing 3rd or 4th in the West and putting it all together for a run in the tournament. There is still quite a bit of talent on the roster but it?s missing the veterans like Cole, Shaddy and Bonfield from last year?s team.

MarketingBully
02-05-2019, 09:16 AM
Tracy Smith built IU.

Wrong. He rode Kyle Schwarber to the Arizona State job. Look at his record with Schwarber and without. Smith seemed like an average to below average coach without an MLB all star on his team. Two of his three NCAA appearances at IU were with Schwarber. In four seasons, Lemonis had three appearances. Same appearances as Smith in less time and better teams without riding one player to his success. With the staff Lemonis has put together here, I think he will have a great shot to win a national championship here.

MarketingBully
02-05-2019, 09:30 AM
I mean I can see why. There is a lot of newness in the lineup outside of Kjerstad, Martin and Fletcher. Catcher and first base are a little concerning. And Campbell was pretty inconsistent last year though he has a ton of talent. Knight went 14-0 last year which is remarkable.

I could see us finishing 3rd or 4th in the West and putting it all together for a run in the tournament. There is still quite a bit of talent on the roster but it?s missing the veterans like Cole, Shaddy and Bonfield from last year?s team.

See Shotgun. Even an Arkansas fan gives a fair assessment of his team and doesn’t have the way out of line expectations you do for that team. Good assessment WPS.

ShotgunDawg
02-05-2019, 09:51 AM

You're better at catcher and 2B this year. Replacing Knight will be the hard part but your bullpen is lights out.

MarketingBully
02-05-2019, 10:09 AM
You're better at catcher and 2B this year. Replacing Knight will be the hard part but your bullpen is lights out.

I think you’re undervaluing big time what they lost last year going into this season.

ShotgunDawg
02-05-2019, 11:26 AM
I think you’re undervaluing big time what they lost last year going into this season.

I think your undervaluing big time my knowledge on this subject.

When it comes to college football recruiting, I don't know anything. When it comes to telling you who the best college baseball teams in the country are, you're better off treating me like you would IYOK and Ari

MarketingBully
02-05-2019, 12:45 PM
I think your undervaluing big time my knowledge on this subject.

When it comes to college football recruiting, I don't know anything. When it comes to telling you who the best college baseball teams in the country are, you're better off treating me like you would IYOK and Ari

Too many unknowns. Even their own fans are holding off expectations for this upcoming season. Baseball is a weird sport. The 2020 season will be where you can look out for them but not this year.

WPS
02-05-2019, 02:30 PM

Carson Shaddy hit .330 last year with 13 home runs at 2B. Trevor Ezell had a great year for SEMO with a .377 average but the SEC is a different animal. And Koch was one of the best defensive catchers in the country last year. Wasn't that good offensively though I'll admit.

I agree the bullpen has a lot of potential, especially with Cronin back as the closer. Loseke was a strikeout machine that we'll miss but should have plenty of arms to choose from. We'll probably have a true freshman in the starting rotation so you never know how that will go. I think you guys and LSU should be ahead of us right now, just my opinion. The SEC is loaded, there isn't really a huge difference between the top 5 or so teams anyway.

Pit Bull
02-05-2019, 07:03 PM
We painfully missed that shot in '13 against UCLA. But we deserve one in baseball for sure.

The 85 team is where we really missed our NC. That was the most talented collegiate baseball team in NCAA history and a line drive off Gene Morgan's leg ended it.

msbulldog
02-05-2019, 08:03 PM

I hope Van Horn is running pop-up drills daily*****

ShotgunDawg
02-05-2019, 08:31 PM
The 85 team is where we really missed our NC. That was the most talented collegiate baseball team in NCAA history and a line drive off Gene Morgan's leg ended it.

The 85 team was great, but our 2013 actually had the most MLB players on it than any other college team in history. The 85 teams was about top loaded with 4 Major Leaguers while the 2013 team was much more complete with 8-10 future Major League players.

I can understand the argument both ways, but I'll take the more complete team Major Leaguers in the rotation, lineup, & bullpen

Tbonewannabe
02-05-2019, 08:47 PM
The 85 team was great, but our 2013 actually had the most MLB players on it than any other college team in history. The 85 teams was about top loaded with 4 Major Leaguers while the 2013 team was much more complete with 8-10 future Major League players.

I can understand the argument both ways, but I'll take the more complete team Major Leaguers in the rotation, lineup, & bullpen

2013 also had dominant Ross Mitchell. Before the baseball change killed his ball movement, he was a legit top 5 pitcher in the SEC and he would come in twice a week. Our catcher could also catch the ball unlike Lindgren's slider which was un-hittable but also almost uncatchable.

dawgday166
02-05-2019, 08:55 PM

So if my research is correct (and maybe it isn't) ... there are 4 players from 2013 that actually have made the league. The other 3 are in the minors. And of the ones that made the league, Palmeiro, Clark, Thigpen, and Brantley vs Renfroe, Frazier, Graveman, and Girodo. Add Gene Morgan, Gator Thiessen off the 85 team that played in the minors too.

So at worst there is a 4/3 to 4/2 edge of the 2013 team over the 1985 team in major/minor ballpayers. And IMO, without a doubt, the 4/2 from 85 trumps the 2013 players.

ShotgunDawg
02-05-2019, 09:03 PM
So if my research is correct (and maybe it isn't) ... there are 4 players from 2013 that actually have made the league. The other 3 are in the minors. And of the ones that made the league, Palmeiro, Clark, Thigpen, and Brantley vs Renfroe, Frazier, Graveman, and Girodo. Add Gene Morgan, Gator Thiessen off the 85 team that played in the minors too.

So at worst there is a 4/3 to 4/2 edge of the 2013 team over the 1985 team in major/minor ballpayers. And IMO, without a doubt, the 4/2 from 85 trumps the 2013 players.

Renfroe
Frazier
Graveman
Holder
Lindgren
Girado
Woodruff

Evan Mitchell, Robson, and Bracewell are all still alive to play MLB.

dawgday166
02-05-2019, 09:11 PM
Renfroe
Frazier
Graveman
Holder
Lindgren
Girado
Woodruff

Evan Mitchell, Robson, and Bracewell are all still alive to play MLB.

Ok. My research wasn't thorough enough. I did do it hastily tho cause I had no idea how many from 2013 were in the league. I don't keep up with MLB like I used to.

ETA: Still like the 85 team better tho. They won SEC tournament and I had thought they won SEC regular season but they finished 2nd to LSU in West. I was pretty sure we took 2 of 3 from LSU that year, but could be mistaken.

2013 team got a very good tourney draw too. In 85 I thought we were as good as anyone. In 2013 I didn't think that was the case, but the draw worked out well for us.

Todd4State
02-06-2019, 01:47 AM
Both 1985 and 2013 were missed opportunities. 1985 we should have taken Morgan out and why we didn't until we blew the lead is unexplainable to me. 2013 we lost because we got away from our offensive approach and tried to drive the ball out of the park instead of hitting line drives. I think we missed an opportunity last year as well. I think that's where the turmoil bit us because if we had a better catcher and pitching coach we might have pulled it off.

We have to put together a complete team- like we had in 1989 and 2016- and then not let the moment get too big for us. Which is essentially what happened in 2013.

Todd4State
02-06-2019, 01:52 AM
Ok. My research wasn't thorough enough. I did do it hastily tho cause I had no idea how many from 2013 were in the league. I don't keep up with MLB like I used to.

ETA: Still like the 85 team better tho. They won SEC tournament and I had thought they won SEC regular season but they finished 2nd to LSU in West. I was pretty sure we took 2 of 3 from LSU that year, but could be mistaken.

2013 team got a very good tourney draw too. In 85 I thought we were as good as anyone. In 2013 I didn't think that was the case, but the draw worked out well for us.

1985 is more legendary. The fact that they didn't have as many MLB players as other MSU teams doesn't take away from that at all. 1985 was a totally different era of college baseball and especially in the SEC. The SEC was pretty top heavy and baseball in Mississippi was not where it is today either. SEC and baseball in Mississippi are now light years better than they were at that time. People forget that our program never made it to Omaha until 1972 and we didn't win our first game in Omaha until 1979.

And I can't imagine the meltdown had we lost to Mississippi College in baseball like the 1985 team did. Scheduling them after a flight back from Hawaii was dumb.

BB30
02-06-2019, 10:31 AM
I am in wait and see mode on our pitching staff.

I think Small will be solid.

After Small we really don't have many proven front end weekend guys. We have some talent but there will be some growing pains early as guys are figuring some things out. I think we will be firing on all cylinders once we get on into SEC play but I wouldn't be at all surprised if we dropped a game or two we probably shouldn't early.

I want to see how the bullpen shakes out as well. There are still several guys in that pen that struggled at times to find the strike zone. I know as season progresses some guys will step up and we will round the pen out but, again, I think it could be a slower start for our staff until we figure some things out.