PDA

View Full Version : Mississippi preview

jwells
02-01-2019, 02:23 PM
#22 Mississippi State (15-5, 3-4 SEC) at Ole Miss (14-6, 4-3 SEC)
Tip: 2:30 PM CT TV: SEC Network

I won't do a full preview since we've already played Ole Miss once this year. The Rebels have come back down to Earth since beating the Dogs on Jan. 12 in Starkville. Ole Miss has lost 4 of their last 5 games, including three straight to Alabama, Iowa State, and Florida. I was in attendance at the Iowa State game and the Rebels looked like a different team than the one I saw in Starkville. As others have said on here, it all depends on what day you catch this Ole Miss team. There is no doubt that having a rival in their arena will up the level of play from the Rebels so I expect them to play better than they have in recent weeks.

For Mississippi State, while it has been frustrating to not have a quality road win, all is not lost and the Dogs are still in good shape for the NCAA tournament. Most projections still have the Bulldogs as a 6 or 7 seed even after the loss in Tuscaloosa. However, it is important that the team turns these close losses into wins at some point in the near future to bolster the resume'. The Rebels pose another chance to grab a Quadrant 1 win on the road.

I think this game will go much like the Alabama game even though they play a different style. I expect a close game that the Dogs will come up just short due to the same inconsistencies we continually see on the road. Hopefully I am wrong but it seems to follow a pattern that I will need to see broken before I believe it's over.

the59dawg
02-01-2019, 02:32 PM
It all depends on how the rebs 3pt shots fall. They hit 50% on 3s like they did our prev game; loss. If refs let them get away with their tuff stuff antics, be tough to win. Need to start Perry and hope he doesn't get 2 fouls right away. If he doesn't foul we have a chance on the boards, etc. His offense is improving every game.

msstate7
02-01-2019, 02:38 PM
82-75 state

jwells
02-01-2019, 02:39 PM
It all depends on how the rebs 3pt shots fall. They hit 50% on 3s like they did our prev game; loss. If refs let them get away with their tuff stuff antics, be tough to win. Need to start Perry and hope he doesn't get 2 fouls right away. If he doesn't foul we have a chance on the boards, etc. His offense is improving every game.

True, but even if they shoot 50% from 3 doesn't mean we can't win. No doubt it makes it more challenging, but we almost won/should have won last game against them and they shot nearly 50% in the 2nd half against us last game.

jwells
02-01-2019, 03:05 PM
If I'm Ben Howland, my message to the team is to try and finish top 4 in the SEC. That is a realistic and attainable goal and gives the team a regular season goal to shoot for. This team looks like they need some extra motivation right or wrong and that is a good goal to have.

Leeshouldveflanked
02-01-2019, 03:15 PM
Is Morgan Freeman going to be courtside trying to pull down Tyson Carter’s shorts?

StarkVegasSteve
02-01-2019, 03:50 PM
If Hinson and Stevens are hitting again we'll be in trouble. However, starting Perry and Woodard would help with stopping that. They were all over OM the first time.

HoopsDawg
02-01-2019, 03:50 PM
If we played D on their 4 man, we would have won. Same thing tomorrow. Will Howland make the obvious change.

THE Bruce Dickinson
02-01-2019, 04:25 PM
I honestly think this is the biggest game of the year as of right now.

With a win, I think we can build momentum to get a home win vs. LSU early next week. If we can be 5-5 after the Kentucky game in Starkville, the schedule will soften up a bit with several winnable games down the stretch. We need to weather the storm right now, and get a big win in Oxford.

biggun
02-01-2019, 04:34 PM
As I have stated several times, any team that lives and dies with the 3 ball and plays below average man to man defense (why Howland has not at least attempted to change things up with a zone defense at times is beyond me), rarely wins on the road when facing a competent opponent.

Same song, different verse, Rebels win, again.

HoopsDawg
02-01-2019, 04:35 PM
If Hinson and Stevens are hitting again we'll be in trouble. However, starting Perry and Woodard would help with stopping that. They were all over OM the first time.

I still like Ado starting b/c I think Perry is best at the 4. Perry is a 4/5. Meaning he is primarily a 4 but can play the 5. Woodard is a 3/4. Perry needs to be getting 30 minutes, Woodard 20 and Holman 10. That's not what Howland will do unfortunately.

Minutes for the Bama game on Tuesday: Holman 30, Perry 20 and Woodard 10.

sleepy dawg
02-01-2019, 04:46 PM
Who the hell knows what to expect with these 2 teams right now. I'm guessing Ole Miss wins another close one, but there's not really a result that would surprise me.

Cooterpoot
02-01-2019, 05:33 PM
OM by 10. Will be surprised if we can win up there. Has Been Howland moves one step closer to the door.

msstate7
02-01-2019, 05:37 PM
Vegas line: Om -2.5

Cloak
02-01-2019, 05:46 PM
As I have stated several times, any team that lives and dies with the 3 ball and plays below average man to man defense (why Howland has not at least attempted to change things up with a zone defense at times is beyond me), rarely wins on the road when facing a competent opponent.

This. We jack up too many NBA 3s to be consistent on the road

Ari Gold
02-01-2019, 07:16 PM
If we played D on their 4 man, we would have won. Same thing tomorrow. Will Howland make the obvious change.

That guy (Hinson) made shots he hasn’t made all year
That jackass
He had 26 that game
He has scored 28 the last 5

Goldendawg
02-01-2019, 11:17 PM
If they have anyone strong to play in the paint, we lose with Holman and Ado. Give Perry and Woodard more minutes!

Pit Bull
02-02-2019, 05:11 AM
Shame we lost those first two SEC games....should have never happened. BTW, I talked to a Memphis Tiger basketball acquaintance and he told me that DJ Jeffries came very very close to committing to us. Said Howland & Co. recruited him harder than anybody else. Had Jeffries not been on Penny's AAU team, we would have gotten him.

MarketingBully
02-02-2019, 10:12 AM
That guy (Hinson) made shots he hasn’t made all year
That jackass
He had 26 that game
He has scored 28 the last 5

He hit those shots against us because he was wide ass open because Holman wouldn’t get his lazy ass out there to guard him. If Hinson is wide ass open again, he will more then likely hit those shots. A catch and shoot player you have to run them off the 3 point line and make them put the ball on the floor. That’s why the key to our season is if Holman can get out of this funk and actually play with effort on both sides of the ball. Hinson was sucking when Woodard was on him and had Woodard played even 5-7 minutes in the second half, we win the game in Starkville easy. The only thing that kept Ole Miss in the game until the last ten minutes or so was Hinson hitting wide open 3s.

MarketingBully
02-02-2019, 10:17 AM
If they have anyone strong to play in the paint, we lose with Holman and Ado. Give Perry and Woodard more minutes!

This is the ultimate shit. A big strong player in the post Holman can’t guard. Well, a smaller perimeter finesse player Holman can’t guard either. When are we just going to realize Holman can’t guard worth a shit unless he plays with effort on that side of the ball. He hasn’t during the entire SEC season. Whenever Howland accepts that is when we will turn things around. Holman needs to come off the bench and get at most 15-20 mpg for the foreseeable future. Howland yapping at him is not doing the trick.

MarketingBully
02-02-2019, 10:20 AM
82-75 state

I could see that. Also, Nick practiced on Thursday and looked good so he’s good to go for this game. He’s one tough SOB.

CadaverDawg
02-02-2019, 12:31 PM
I know we've had a lot of "must wins" this year, but I feel like we have to find a way to win today. The schedule is so tough going forward, so we have got to get back that Home loss we gave them earlier this season

PMDawg
02-02-2019, 12:49 PM
OM - 83
State - 70

I have zero faith in these players or coaches.

MarketingBully
02-02-2019, 01:50 PM
OM - 83
State - 70

I have zero faith in these players or coaches.

I’m not predicting this game but I would be shocked if Ole Miss beat us by double digits. They are beat up and haven’t been playing well at all since they played us.

MarketingBully
02-02-2019, 01:54 PM
I know we've had a lot of "must wins" this year, but I feel like we have to find a way to win today. The schedule is so tough going forward, so we have got to get back that Home loss we gave them earlier this season

It all comes down to Holman and how he plays. If Holman plays well, we win. When he plays like shit, we lose. It’s obvious to me Howland is going to ride him out. It’s laughable if you ask me but it is what it is.

msstate7
02-02-2019, 05:33 PM
82-75 state

Just saying... y'all hate on me, but pretty good at predictions

MarketingBully
02-02-2019, 05:40 PM

Yes, that was an awesome prediction my man 7!

dawgday166
02-02-2019, 05:56 PM

Duudde ... you were off by a point mane. You expect a pat of the back for blowing the prediction? Get real ***

CadaverDawg
02-02-2019, 06:15 PM
Big big win

RocketDawg
02-02-2019, 07:47 PM

Pretty good prediction, but next time get it right. **

HoopsDawg
02-04-2019, 01:13 PM
I still like Ado starting b/c I think Perry is best at the 4. Perry is a 4/5. Meaning he is primarily a 4 but can play the 5. Woodard is a 3/4. Perry needs to be getting 30 minutes, Woodard 20 and Holman 10. That's not what Howland will do unfortunately.

Minutes for the Bama game on Tuesday: Holman 30, Perry 20 and Woodard 10.

Minutes vs Ole Miss: Perry: 34, Woodard 19, Holman 9. Pretty much what I said we needed to do. Good job Howland but you have cost us 3 games this year: South Carolina, ole miss at home and Bama. Better late than never though.

MarketingBully
02-04-2019, 03:37 PM
Minutes vs Ole Miss: Perry: 34, Woodard 19, Holman 9. Pretty much what I said we needed to do. Good job Howland but you have cost us 3 games this year: South Carolina, ole miss at home and Bama. Better late than never though.

We’d be 7-1 right now in the SEC if Howland had prescribed to the Perry Woodard Holman 30-20-10 rule right off the bat.

Ifyouonlyknew
02-04-2019, 04:14 PM
We’d be 7-1 right now in the SEC if Howland had prescribed to the Perry Woodard Holman 30-20-10 rule right off the bat.

Holman had 20 & 10 at South Carolina. He wasn't bad his 1st 4 SEC games. You're projecting his recent stretch into his whole SEC play & that's not right. For the record Perry was horrible that South Carolina game so you're reaching on this 7-1 talk.

MarketingBully
02-04-2019, 04:21 PM
Holman had 20 & 10 at South Carolina. He wasn't bad his 1st 4 SEC games. You're projecting his recent stretch into his whole SEC play & that's not right. For the record Perry was horrible that South Carolina game so you're reaching on this 7-1 talk.

Kotzar had 25 on Holman so his net effect there was negative. Kotzar should never have 14 on anyone much less 25 but when you let him shoot wide open 8 footers when you’re too lazy to get out to him when Silva dumps off to him on a double team you deserve to sit.

MarketingBully
02-04-2019, 04:26 PM
In the SEC the next highest Kotzar scored you asked? That figure would be 9.

MarketingBully
02-04-2019, 04:29 PM
Holman has put forth effort in one SEC game one. That was the blowout win at Vandy. We need that effort every night at 20 minutes a game. That isn’t too much to ask. No more loafing!

MarketingBully
02-04-2019, 04:34 PM
20 minutes, 10 points a couple of wide open 3 point makes 6-8 rebounds, 1-2 blocks, defensive intensity and add to on both ends. The stretch 4 position struggled in the Vandy game. That’s not much to ask from a senior. That lack of defensive intensity did lead to the losses at South Carolina and against Ole Miss.

Ifyouonlyknew
02-04-2019, 04:42 PM
20 minutes, 10 points a couple of wide open 3 point makes 6-8 rebounds, 1-2 blocks, defensive intensity and add to on both ends. The stretch 4 position struggled in the Vandy game. That’s not much to ask from a senior. That lack of defensive intensity did lead to the losses at South Carolina and against Ole Miss.

We're not 7-1 if Perry & Woodard played the most minutes. We're just not.

MarketingBully
02-04-2019, 04:53 PM
We're not 7-1 if Perry & Woodard played the most minutes. We're just not.

I disagree. South Carolina doesn’t beat us without Kotzar going off and scoring 25. Ole Miss doesn’t beat us without Hinson going off and scoring 26. Both those guys were Holman’s man. Even Riley Norris was out hustling Holman for loose balls and making buckets. Riley Norris! I get you are defending the guy but the truth of the matter is the biggest detriment since the SEC season has started has been Holman’s defensive effort. We’ve practically been playing a man to man 4 on 5 with him out there and it hasn’t worked. Twice in the SEC he has been held completely scoreless as well.

Ifyouonlyknew
02-04-2019, 05:07 PM
I disagree. South Carolina doesn’t beat us without Kotzar going off and scoring 25. Ole Miss doesn’t beat us without Hinson going off and scoring 26. Both those guys were Holman’s man. Even Riley Norris was out hustling Holman for loose balls and making buckets. Riley Norris! I get you are defending the guy but the truth of the matter is the biggest detriment since the SEC season has started has been Holman’s defensive effort. We’ve practically been playing a man to man 4 on 5 with him out there and it hasn’t worked. Twice in the SEC he has been held completely scoreless as well.

You keep saying this like Perry isn't our worst post defender by far. Holman effort has been bad last few games. Perry defense has been horrible all year.

MarketingBully
02-04-2019, 05:24 PM
You keep saying this like Perry isn't our worst post defender by far. Holman effort has been bad last few games. Perry defense has been horrible all year.

I love your info and everything IYOK but you are wrong here. You literally can tell when Holman is out on the court because a run is sure to follow for the opposing team. From when we were up 8-9 in the first half against OM at home towards the end of the first half, we inserted Holman and OM immediately cuts it to 2 at halftime. We had pushed a lead out to 7 or so in the first half against Florida, Holman is inserted and his man makes back to back threes and we go up 2 or so at halftime. And of course the game in Oxford this weekend we go up 15-8 to start the game, Holman is inserted and an immediate 13-0 run follows. Holman has been consistently bad the entire SEC season sans the Vandy game. He has by far been the worst defender we’ve had out there during the SEC schedule. I do think he was at least decent during the non-conference schedule so if he would just get back to defending like that for 20 minutes it would be a huge help.

MCsMGs
02-04-2019, 05:34 PM
I disagree. South Carolina doesn?t beat us without Kotzar going off and scoring 25. Ole Miss doesn?t beat us without Hinson going off and scoring 26. Both those guys were Holman?s man. Even Riley Norris was out hustling Holman for loose balls and making buckets. Riley Norris! I get you are defending the guy but the truth of the matter is the biggest detriment since the SEC season has started has been Holman?s defensive effort. We?ve practically been playing a man to man 4 on 5 with him out there and it hasn?t worked. Twice in the SEC he has been held completely scoreless as well.

I have to agree with IYOK on this one...I can only assume you didn't watch the SC game because Perry stunk that one up worse than any of Holman's efforts since SEC play started(and yes, Holman's effort has been dismal at best).

MarketingBully
02-04-2019, 05:56 PM
I have to agree with IYOK on this one...I can only assume you didn't watch the SC game because Perry stunk that one up worse than any of Holman's efforts since SEC play started(and yes, Holman's effort has been dismal at best).

I watched the game and I saw Holman watch as Silva passed out to Kotzar for wide open 8 footers. I saw no effort to block out Kotzar either on the offensive boards by Holman too. If you want to say Perry had a bad game in his first SEC game on the road, I’ll concede that fact but you literally can tell Holman is out there by the runs the opposing team has when he is out there.

Ifyouonlyknew
02-04-2019, 06:00 PM
I love your info and everything IYOK but you are wrong here. You literally can tell when Holman is out on the court because a run is sure to follow for the opposing team. From when we were up 8-9 in the first half against OM at home towards the end of the first half, we inserted Holman and OM immediately cuts it to 2 at halftime. We had pushed a lead out to 7 or so in the first half against Florida, Holman is inserted and his man makes back to back threes and we go up 2 or so at halftime. And of course the game in Oxford this weekend we go up 15-8 to start the game, Holman is inserted and an immediate 13-0 run follows. Holman has been consistently bad the entire SEC season sans the Vandy game. He has by far been the worst defender we’ve had out there during the SEC schedule. I do think he was at least decent during the non-conference schedule so if he would just get back to defending like that for 20 minutes it would be a huge help.

We would not be 7-1

HoopsDawg
02-04-2019, 07:52 PM
We would not be 7-1

6-2 at worst. Possibly 7-1. Kotsar killed us.