louisvilledawg
02-01-2019, 12:45 PM
#4 Raiders picking Sweat
#14 Falcons picking Simmons
#25 Eagles picking Abram

Metcalf to Ravens fwiw

msstate7
02-01-2019, 01:00 PM
Looking at that makes it pretty apparent to me we gonna make a major step back on defense. 3 of the top 25 overall, 2 of the top 14... that isn't all we losing either. Offense better be much better

ShotgunDawg
02-01-2019, 01:19 PM
Looking at that makes it pretty apparent to me we gonna make a major step back on defense. 3 of the top 25 overall, 2 of the top 14... that isn't all we losing either. Offense better be much better

We will most certainly take a step back, but how far back? Do we go from 1 to 25 or from 1 to 75?

And can the offense make up for the difference?

msstate7
02-01-2019, 01:21 PM
We will most certainly take a step back, but how far back? Do we go from 1 to 25 or from 1 to 75?

And can the offense make up for the difference?

I don't see a drop that severe. I'll guess 25-35th in total defense.

Commercecomet24
02-01-2019, 01:26 PM

That's about what I think too. That's no to unreasonable to believe

ShotgunDawg
02-01-2019, 01:29 PM

We were 57th in turnovers last year with the best scoring margin in the country.

It's conceivable that the defense gets worse, but we get more turnovers, which could in theory help us win more games

MetEdDawg
02-01-2019, 01:37 PM
I don't expect us to go outside the Top 30 in total defense. We return a lot of experience at LB, we return our best CB and we do have some experience in the secondary with Cole as well. DL has talent, but it will be young.

The biggest thing though is that even though we lose a lot, there is a lot of talent in a lot of spots, it's just young. Gonna make early mistakes, but the schedule is extremely favorable for us to be able to weather growing pains to get our kids a lot of reps before the grind of SEC play starts.

msstate7
02-01-2019, 01:41 PM
I don't expect us to go outside the Top 30 in total defense. We return a lot of experience at LB, we return our best CB and we do have some experience in the secondary with Cole as well. DL has talent, but it will be young.

The biggest thing though is that even though we lose a lot, there is a lot of talent in a lot of spots, it's just young. Gonna make early mistakes, but the schedule is extremely favorable for us to be able to weather growing pains to get our kids a lot of reps before the grind of SEC play starts.

Also have to consider Bama probably stays the same as an offensive power with auburn, aTm, and ark all likely to improve offensively. I suspect LSU will too. Om will take a big step back

Tbonewannabe
02-01-2019, 01:48 PM

So about where we were in 2017. I will take it. JoeMo just needs to get his offense to compete against good to great defenses. We can get to 6 wins beating up on bad defenses but to do more than that requires putting up points. This year we get to see exactly what we have in JoeMo's offense. If he can't get a QB to operate it against good SEC defenses with the QB in the system for 2 years then that is a big problem.

Tbonewannabe
02-01-2019, 01:53 PM
Also have to consider Bama probably stays the same as an offensive power with auburn, aTm, and ark all likely to improve offensively. I suspect LSU will too. Om will take a big step back

We also offensively dominated AU, aTm, Ark, and UM. I think the defense will be good enough to keep us in games but Joe's offense is going to have to pull more weight than last year. LSU and UK being at home helps a lot but now we have to play AU and aTm on the road so it is a wash.

Hopefully LSU isn't a loss no matter where we play like it was a couple of years ago. You could almost always guess correctly that we would lose Bama and LSU. AU was a loss most of the time at Auburn.

WSOPdawg
02-01-2019, 05:37 PM
Dang, Montez about to get paid. Going #4 overall, not bad at all.

somebodyshotmypaw
02-01-2019, 06:14 PM
I love Montez. But I just don't see him going #4. I will be shocked if he goes in the top 10.

Simmons won't get a lot of sacks, but he does push the pocket back into the quarterback's face. He is also good in run support. He will help your linebacker make a crapload of tackles also. Simmons could go anywhere in the first round. The draft is deep at his position, but he's as good as anybody out there.

Abram is interesting. He's a headhunter and great in run support. NFL rules against helmet-to-helmet means being a headhunter isn't as positive of an attribute as it used to be. Scouts will really look at his film hard on pass protection.

If Elgton Jenkins makes it to the 3rd round, somebody could get a steal.