PDA

View Full Version : MSU?s all time starting 9 (link)! I think they got at least one wrong

Saltydog
01-31-2019, 08:55 PM
thoughts?
https://www.ncaa.com/news/baseball/article/2019-01-30/we-picked-mississippi-state-baseballs-all-time-starting-nine

BigEasyDawg
01-31-2019, 09:10 PM
I feel like Mangum has to be on there in place of Van Cleve, or even Renfroe. But man, that list makes me so proud of MSU because there are so many deserving guys that couldn't make that list. Just shows how great our tradition is.

shoeless joe
01-31-2019, 09:25 PM
Too bad utility wasn't on there...thomas Berkery is the most underrated diamond dog of all time. He played 4 positions with two of those being two of the most important...C and SS. And the dude could rake.

Also, I was in school during the Easley years but he played third a decent amount and I never thought he was the defender that Tatum was.

Saltydog
01-31-2019, 09:27 PM
Rest his soul! I could also go with Pete Young at 3rd! Should?ve added a closer! I’d go with Pete or Holder!

Homedawg
01-31-2019, 09:42 PM
Rest his soul! I could also go with Pete Young at 3rd! Should?ve added a closer! I?d go with Pete or Holder!

Jake over dvc for sure and no Pete wasn't better than Travis. Not numbers wise and can't punish Travis for playing in a loaded bat era. And it was. He was swinging a minus 5 with a sweet spot the size of china.

basedog
01-31-2019, 09:43 PM
Well I wouldn’t bitch at all with those guys. Many are deservering but I can tell you guys Phil Still early 70’s is the best 3rd baseman period. Dude played with wooden bat and back then only played around 32 games. If he played in the metal bat era I can’t imagine what his numbers would be. Pete Young is the second choice, no disrespect to Chapman.
I’ve seen and followed MSU baseball a long time.

Saltydog
01-31-2019, 09:55 PM
Forgotten! Del Unser, Nat Showalter, Mark Gillaspie were outstanding! Pete White was too and while article mentioned him, I?ve never seen anyone hit a ball further than Bruce! Him taking BP was awesome!

Spiderman
01-31-2019, 10:01 PM
thoughts?
https://www.ncaa.com/news/baseball/article/2019-01-30/we-picked-mississippi-state-baseballs-all-time-starting-nine

3rd base should be Pete Young

Spiderman
01-31-2019, 10:01 PM
Rest his soul! I could also go with Pete Young at 3rd! Should?ve added a closer! I’d go with Pete or Holder!

Thigpen is the closer

Homedawg
01-31-2019, 10:02 PM
3rd base should be Pete Young

Based on what? He got dirty? I love Pete. Love him. But Travis has way better numbers.

Homedawg
01-31-2019, 10:02 PM
Thigpen is the closer

And no. Holder would be by far. Not close.

maroonmania
01-31-2019, 10:14 PM
I feel like Mangum has to be on there in place of Van Cleve, or even Renfroe. But man, that list makes me so proud of MSU because there are so many deserving guys that couldn't make that list. Just shows how great our tradition is.

Yep, and our best team ever was probably 1989 and nobody from that team even made it. The likes of Raffo, Young, Hildreth, Echols, Cohen, Reed, Shave, etc. That team was ranked #1 most of the year. Not that any of them should be over the ones chosen but that was a great group of players but none of them were able to make the list. Just goes to show the level of players we have had over the years.

msstate7
01-31-2019, 10:15 PM
Based on what? He got dirty? I love Pete. Love him. But Travis has way better numbers.

Chapman is my favorite.

I remember watching him and Andy Phillips of Bama get clutch hit after clutch hit one year at Dudy Noble. Can't remember what year it was, but that series is when I really became a big Chapman guy

Political Hack
01-31-2019, 10:16 PM
They should've thrown an entire rotation in.

Friday
Saturday
Sunday

Long relief
Set up man
Closer

Who you got?

StarkVegasSteve
01-31-2019, 10:44 PM
They should've thrown an entire rotation in.

Friday
Saturday
Sunday

Long relief
Set up man
Closer

Who you got?

Friday: Paul Maholm
Saturday: Jeff Brantley
Sunday: Chris Stratton

Long Relief: Chad Girodo/Gene Morgan/Jacob Lindgren
Set Up: Mitch Moreland/Bobby Thigpen
Closer: Jonathan Holder

dawgoneyall
01-31-2019, 10:46 PM
SS-Jackie Parker
3B Pete Young

Bobby Reed has to be on that list.

Pit Bull
01-31-2019, 10:58 PM
thoughts?

Ok with all except for maybe Jeffrey Rea and Travis Chapman. I would have to put in Mangum somewhere and without a doubt....how do you leave out Bobby Thigpen? Thig is tied for the all time MLB single season save record. And he had an incredible batting prowess rivaling Clark & Palmeiro. So....I would have to replace Rea and Chapman with Thigpen and Mangum.

Pit Bull
01-31-2019, 11:00 PM
SS-Jackie Parker
3B Pete Young

Bobby Reed has to be on that list.

I like Bobby, but it would be hard to surpass Jeff Brantley. Brantley was probably the hardest throwing Righthander I can ever remember. Now, there is one coming up this season who might throw harder...….JT Ginn.

Homedawg
01-31-2019, 11:10 PM
Pitching is tough. But DuBose was one of if not the best we had for 3 years. Not a good year but 3 great years. And he pitched in the loaded bat era. Bobby reed in the hunt too, along w Maholm. Kenny Kurtz has an incredible year but like Showalter it was a year not more

ETA I meant those for the rotation. Brantley has to be the one guy.

Liverpooldawg
01-31-2019, 11:18 PM

Van Cleave was way better.

Pit Bull
01-31-2019, 11:20 PM
Ok with all except for maybe Jeffrey Rea and Travis Chapman. I would have to put in Mangum somewhere and without a doubt....how do you leave out Bobby Thigpen? Thig is tied for the all time MLB single season save record. And he had an incredible batting prowess rivaling Clark & Palmeiro. So....I would have to replace Rea and Chapman with Thigpen and Mangum.

Oops.....looks like I missed the Brewer's Rodriguez.....he had 62 saves in 2008 surpassing Thig and Diaz who were tied with 57 each.

Homedawg
01-31-2019, 11:21 PM
Than Jake???? What. You've lost your mind.

Homedawg
01-31-2019, 11:24 PM
Van Cleave wast way better.
Way better is beyond nuts. Jake led the league in hitting. Van cleave never hit above 360. Ever.

Homedawg
01-31-2019, 11:28 PM

You are replacing a third baseman w two outfielders. And Thigpen wasn't a great hitter. Good yeah. But not elite.

Homedawg
01-31-2019, 11:29 PM

And this is based on college. No way holder isn't ahead of Thigpen in college

Liverpooldawg
01-31-2019, 11:37 PM
And no. Holder would be by far. Not close.

Nope, Thigpen.

Liverpooldawg
01-31-2019, 11:38 PM
Way better is beyond nuts. Jake led the league in hitting. Van cleave never hit above 360. Ever.

Stats aren't everything. Van Cleave.

Liverpooldawg
01-31-2019, 11:43 PM
If you are going to include three starters then Gene Morgan has to be there. If he hadn't blown his throwing shoulder in AA he would have had as good a pro career as Brantley did. That '85 team was stacked, best ever team nationwide that didn't win the CWS. Gator Theison at second and Roark McDonald at catcher would be dang close to being on this list too.

Homedawg
01-31-2019, 11:46 PM
Nope, Thigpen.

Look man. Thigpen was here one year. One. His stats don't hold a candle to holder. Not even close. Not even close.

Homedawg
01-31-2019, 11:48 PM
Stats aren't everything. Van Cleave.

So the fact he was a doctor get him on the team?? Dvc started 2 years Jake is gonna a start for 4!!and be the sec all time leading hitter. If you stop after two years Mangum wins. I get it the older guys get left out but this isn't realistic.

Homedawg
01-31-2019, 11:48 PM
If you are going to include three starters then Gene Morgan has to be there. If he hadn't blown his throwing shoulder in AA he would have had as good a pro career as Brantley did. That '85 team was stacked, best ever team nationwide that didn't win the CWS. Gator Theison at second and Roark McDonald at catcher would be dang close to being on this list too.

Just oh my.

Liverpooldawg
01-31-2019, 11:50 PM
Look man. Thigpen was here one year. One. His stats don't hold a candle to holder. Not even close. Not even close.

Stats aren't everything, Thigpen. Dang good outfielder and hitter too.

Homedawg
01-31-2019, 11:50 PM

Roark McDonald? Dear heavens. Your bias is just nuts. Gator was food. But no rea

Liverpooldawg
01-31-2019, 11:51 PM
Just oh my.

How old are you?

Liverpooldawg
01-31-2019, 11:52 PM
Roark McDonald? Dear heavens. Your bias is just nuts. Gator was food. But no rea

Didn't say Gator and Roark wer on it, just close. I stand by Gene though, as long as we are talking 3 starters.

Homedawg
01-31-2019, 11:53 PM
Stats aren't everything, Thigpen. Dang good outfielder and hitter too.

You realize this is just 9 positions. And Thigpen wouldn't be in the top 20 outfielders. He wouldn't be the sedond best closer.

Homedawg
01-31-2019, 11:54 PM
Didn't say Gator and Roark wer on it, just close. I stand by Gene though, as long as we are talking 3 starters.

Roark wouldn't sniff it. Not close

Liverpooldawg
01-31-2019, 11:56 PM
You realize this is just 9 positions. And Thigpen wouldn't be in the top 20 outfielders. He wouldn't be the sedond best closer.

But we are talking RP. The other is a bonus. How old are you?

Liverpooldawg
01-31-2019, 11:57 PM
Roark wouldn't sniff it. Not close

Yes, he would.

Liverpooldawg
01-31-2019, 11:57 PM
So the fact he was a doctor get him on the team?? Dvc started 2 years Jake is gonna a start for 4!!and be the sec all time leading hitter. If you stop after two years Mangum wins. I get it the older guys get left out but this isn't realistic.

Did you ever see him play?

Homedawg
02-01-2019, 12:01 AM
Did you ever see him play?

Yeah. Saw all of the above play. All of those mentioned. Now no to Jackie Parker or del bender. Which would make more sense than your Thigpen. And I'm sorry but you should stop after the Roark talk

Liverpooldawg
02-01-2019, 12:04 AM
I didn't say he should be on the list, but he is one of the best College catchers to ever play here. You recent team bias is showing. How old were you in 85?

Homedawg
02-01-2019, 12:13 AM
Old enough to know that he wasn't better than John McDonald, Barry Winford, Jim Robinson, Ed Easley, Barry patton and a dozen other catchers we've had.

Homedawg
02-01-2019, 12:15 AM
I didn't say he should be on the list, but he is one of the best College catchers to ever play here. You recent team bias is showing. How old were you in 85?

Recent team bias huh? You did notice I gave kudos to Kenny Kurtz right ?? Mark Gillespie way better than Bobby Thigpen in the of. Mike Kelley. Do I need to go on??? I've got way more bulllets in my gun than you

Todd4State
02-01-2019, 02:17 AM
I'll do mine FWIW. I thought the list was pretty good though.

Closer- Holder. Based on college you have to go with Holder over Thigpen. Thigpen was the closer for one season for us. Holder was our closer for three years and holds the save record for MSU. Pro career- probably Thigpen.
Set-up- Thigpen
RHP middle relief- Jay Powell
LHP middle relief- Jacob Lindgren
Middle relief- Chad Girodo
Middle relief- Chris Stratton
Middle relief- Kendall Graveman
Middle relief- Dakota Hudson
Submarine guy- Van Johnson
Weird arm angle guy- Jon Harden

Friday- Jeff Brantley
Saturday- Bobby Reed
Sunday- Eric DuBose (School career leader in K's gave him the edge)
Tuesday- BJ Wallace (Going by stats)
Weds- Paul Maholm (Could you imagine trotting him out to start against Jackson State? LOL.)

Catcher- Easley. Won the Johnny Bench Award.
Catcher- Barry Winford
Emergency Catcher- Craig Tatum

1B- Will Clark
2B- Jeffrey Rea
3B- Adam Piatt
SS- Adam Frazier
UTL INF- Jon Shave

LF- Rafael Palmeiro
CF- Jake Mangum- He's about to become the SEC's all time hits leader and his impact on MSU baseball was huge from the time he was freshman.
RF- Hunter Renfroe
Fourth OF- Jacob Robson- Like we would take any of the other three guys out. Ever.

DH- Brent Rooker- I went SEC Triple Crown over Castoria. Which was a tough decision, but with Rooker you get power, average, and speed from the DH spot in a more difficult era to hit.
DH- Bruce Castoria- Aw hell, let's just platoon Rooker and Castoria. Like it would matter with this lineup.
Pinch hitter- Buck Showalter. .459 BA coming off the bench? Yes, Please.
Pinch runner- Dan Van Cleve. Single season record for stolen bases with 38.
Super utility- Travis Chapman. Could play any position on the infield or outfield.

Head coach- Roooooonnnn Polk I
Pitching coach- Pat McMahon
Bullpen coach- Butch Thompson
Outfield coach/Hitting coach- John Cohen
Infield coach/Hitting coach- Jake Gautreau (Yeah, maybe too soon but I'm optimistic)
Camp coordinator- Rooooooonnnn Polk II**
Director of employee relations- Andy Cannizarro**

Pit Bull
02-01-2019, 04:19 AM
You are replacing a third baseman w two outfielders. And Thigpen wasn't a great hitter. Good yeah. But not elite.

I believe one year his batting average was higher than both Clark and Palmeiro,,..but his pitching is what set him apart. I don't care about position....just looking for the 8 best and 1 pitcher. Thig could play many positions.....outfield and infield. And he could play 3rd base if needed. Polk's players were notable for playing numerous positions. Thig threw out players at home from the outfield with ease....just as good or better than Renfroe.

Pit Bull
02-01-2019, 04:29 AM
And this is based on college. No way holder isn't ahead of Thigpen in college

I believe the author of this article referenced all the players' MLB accolades and accomplishments. So I did too. BTW, Thig threw in the mid to upper 90's much like they say Ginn will. Holder never got above 93-94. So oh yeah....I would definitely put Thig in to close it over Holder. I saw Holder blow too many games. Thig rarely did......very rarely.

Saltydog
02-01-2019, 08:45 AM
in college. Plus, I can't put him there because he gave up the hr to Greg Ellena against Miami that potentially cost us the N/C in '85. Yes, I know it was one game but for those of us that lived it, it was and still is PAINFUL.

Saltydog
02-01-2019, 09:30 AM
now. He may have been very low 90's at the most. We've had a ton of guys that threw harder than him.

Saltydog
02-01-2019, 09:35 AM
.306 in '85, which was higher than Palmeiro's .300. Palmeiro's ba dropped from .415 in '84 to .300 in '85 but even so, Thigpen wasn't nearly the hitter Palmeiro was.

Homedawg
02-01-2019, 10:09 AM
I believe one year his batting average was higher than both Clark and Palmeiro,,..but his pitching is what set him apart. I don't care about position....just looking for the 8 best and 1 pitcher. Thig could play many positions.....outfield and infield. And he could play 3rd base if needed. Polk's players were notable for playing numerous positions. Thig threw out players at home from the outfield with ease....just as good or better than Renfroe.

Palmeiro only hit 300 his jr year. He had draft-itis. So thiggy did hit higher than him in 85, But palemeiro hit 20 hr. Ralph hit 406 and 420 his first two years, with a triple crown in 84. Obviously, palmeiro was better. Thigpen never hit about 350.

Homedawg
02-01-2019, 10:09 AM
now. He may have been very low 90's at the most. We've had a ton of guys that threw harder than him.

Correct

Homedawg
02-01-2019, 10:10 AM
I'll do mine FWIW. I thought the list was pretty good though.

Closer- Holder. Based on college you have to go with Holder over Thigpen. Thigpen was the closer for one season for us. Holder was our closer for three years and holds the save record for MSU. Pro career- probably Thigpen.
Set-up- Thigpen
RHP middle relief- Jay Powell
LHP middle relief- Jacob Lindgren
Middle relief- Chad Girodo
Middle relief- Chris Stratton
Middle relief- Kendall Graveman
Middle relief- Dakota Hudson
Submarine guy- Van Johnson
Weird arm angle guy- Jon Harden

Friday- Jeff Brantley
Saturday- Bobby Reed
Sunday- Eric DuBose (School career leader in K's gave him the edge)
Tuesday- BJ Wallace (Going by stats)
Weds- Paul Maholm (Could you imagine trotting him out to start against Jackson State? LOL.)

Catcher- Easley. Won the Johnny Bench Award.
Catcher- Barry Winford
Emergency Catcher- Craig Tatum

1B- Will Clark
2B- Jeffrey Rea
3B- Adam Piatt
SS- Adam Frazier
UTL INF- Jon Shave

LF- Rafael Palmeiro
CF- Jake Mangum- He's about to become the SEC's all time hits leader and his impact on MSU baseball was huge from the time he was freshman.
RF- Hunter Renfroe
Fourth OF- Jacob Robson- Like we would take any of the other three guys out. Ever.

DH- Brent Rooker- I went SEC Triple Crown over Castoria. Which was a tough decision, but with Rooker you get power, average, and speed from the DH spot in a more difficult era to hit.
DH- Bruce Castoria- Aw hell, let's just platoon Rooker and Castoria. Like it would matter with this lineup.
Pinch hitter- Buck Showalter. .459 BA coming off the bench? Yes, Please.
Pinch runner- Dan Van Cleve. Single season record for stolen bases with 38.
Super utility- Travis Chapman. Could play any position on the infield or outfield.

Head coach- Roooooonnnn Polk I
Pitching coach- Pat McMahon
Bullpen coach- Butch Thompson
Outfield coach/Hitting coach- John Cohen
Infield coach/Hitting coach- Jake Gautreau (Yeah, maybe too soon but I'm optimistic)
Camp coordinator- Rooooooonnnn Polk II**
Director of employee relations- Andy Cannizarro**

Pretty dang good list there!!!

biggun
02-01-2019, 04:56 PM
Burke Masters???? Has to be on the team

biggun
02-01-2019, 05:00 PM
F
Yep, and our best team ever was probably 1989 and nobody from that team even made it. The likes of Raffo, Young, Hildreth, Echols, Cohen, Reed, Shave, etc. That team was ranked #1 most of the year. Not that any of them should be over the ones chosen but that was a great group of players but none of them were able to make the list. Just goes to show the level of players we have had over the years.

Best MSU team of all time. Loaded at every position. Damn that UNC junk ball pitcher!!!! LOL

The Federalist Engineer
02-01-2019, 05:15 PM
Yall have all forgotten Brett Pirtle in 2014

This kid hit 364 in a dead bat year. This would have been 414 in the 90's and 434 in the 80's

He was a good defender, he went to Omaha, and he had swagger

Saltydog
02-01-2019, 09:36 PM
Nope, I considered him.....helluva player but how do you not put your all time hits leader on the list?

Pit Bull
02-02-2019, 12:02 AM

Was throwing in the mid 90's for the Cincy Reds. At MSU, I remember him operating mostly around 92-94 and occasionally hitting 95. He could bring it. Anything above 90 is a decent fastball in the pros.

Homedawg
02-02-2019, 12:50 AM
Was throwing in the mid 90's for the Cincy Reds. At MSU, I remember him operating mostly around 92-94 and occasionally hitting 95. He could bring it. Anything above 90 is a decent fastball in the pros.

Jeff was 86-90 at state. He got some added velo in the pros but he didn't win by over powering. He wouldn't be in the top velo guys. He would be in the top most successful ones though and that's what matters.

Commercecomet24
02-02-2019, 01:24 AM
Jeff was 86-90 at state. He got some added velo in the pros but he didn't win by over powering. He wouldn't be in the top velo guys. He would be in the top most successful ones though and that's what matters.

I remember his last year or so in mlb he was only hitting mid 80s and still getting guys out. Jeff was a real Bulldog on the mound.

Spiderman
02-02-2019, 11:41 AM

All time doubles record for years until Rooker broke it

basedog
02-03-2019, 11:10 AM
Talk all you want, but I saw Pete and Travis both play many times, neither were in Phis Still's league. He could do it all.

We are a baseball school!