PDA

View Full Version : Trevor Lawrence offered pro contract

msstate7
01-31-2019, 07:48 PM
https://247sports.com/college/florida/Article/Tom-Brady-agent-Trevor-Lawrence-Don-Yee-offer-Clemson-Tigers-quarterback-professional-football-league-128541978/

This could be interesting. I really hope if this new league makes it a year that the champs of this one and the alliance of American football play.

TUSK
01-31-2019, 08:48 PM
https://247sports.com/college/florida/Article/Tom-Brady-agent-Trevor-Lawrence-Don-Yee-offer-Clemson-Tigers-quarterback-professional-football-league-128541978/

This could be interesting. I really hope if this new league makes it a year that the champs of this one and the alliance of American football play.

Yikes.... Bammer bout to be "One & Done U"....

msstate7
01-31-2019, 08:51 PM

Why wait one year? Offer the 5-stars straight outta HS

TUSK
01-31-2019, 08:53 PM
Why wait one year? Offer the 5-stars straight outta HS

Dang.... What's a high 3* go for these days???*

starkvegasdawg
01-31-2019, 10:02 PM
Dang.... What's a high 3* go for these days???*

Ask the sharks up oxford way.

Pit Bull
01-31-2019, 10:30 PM

This could be a problem for the SEC and especially BAMA and UGA. If this new league is able to offer some decent money to come out early, it could lower the overall quality of the SEC. BAMA would still be the top team though as their depth is deeper than most and could survive some losses. SEC office better prepare for this. In fact all the P5 conferences better wise up.

viverlibre
01-31-2019, 10:43 PM
This could be a problem for the SEC and especially BAMA and UGA. If this new league is able to offer some decent money to come out early, it could lower the overall quality of the SEC. BAMA would still be the top team though as their depth is deeper than most and could survive some losses. SEC office better prepare for this. In fact all the P5 conferences better wise up.

These leagues aren't gonna outbid many big-time colleges. As Vaught said about Archie, he took a cut in pay when he signed with the Saints.

TUSK
02-01-2019, 12:19 AM

That's kinda along the lines of what I was thinkin...

Evaluation/assessment will become more important/relevant and less accurate/reliable as the top echelon players decrease...IMO

Doggie_Style
02-01-2019, 09:32 AM
IF this league makes it and decides to take 18 yo's, college football would start to look a lot like college baseball.

msstate7
02-01-2019, 09:34 AM
IF this league makes it and decides to take 18 yo's, college football would start to look a lot like college baseball.

Or force the ncaa to allow athletes to be paid

Matty Dispatch
02-01-2019, 10:40 AM
Or force the ncaa to allow athletes to be paid

That's what I was thinking. If this started to become a trend it might usher in pay for play if the NCAA sees its cash cow get picked apart. But even if the NCAA refused to pay players and a new league became the NFL minor leagues for 18-21 year olds I can't imagine college football become like like college baseball. There is too much tradition and loyalty to college football. It would diminish it some, and certainly on a national level....but there would still be a lot of excitement and focus on college football without 1st & 2nd round talent playing for any of the teams.

smootness
02-01-2019, 10:57 AM
LOL this isn't a threat at all

msstate7
02-01-2019, 10:58 AM
LOL this isn't a threat at all

For Lawrence, no. I'm sure some would be more than happy to not have to go to class and get paid

sleepy dawg
02-01-2019, 10:59 AM
It seems like it could help make college football an amateur sport again. Right now it's a pro sport demanding pro money which has created all these black markets for paying players. If there's a legal way to do it, it diminishes the need for such black markets.

msstate7
02-01-2019, 11:08 AM
I wonder how the development would compare to college football. Assuming this new league has competent coaches, it could be better with no restrictions on practice time, contact with coaches, whatever

msstate7
02-01-2019, 11:38 AM
Not sure how many high-4 and 5-stars are in danger of qualifying these days, but this league could give them another route than juco

redstickdawg
02-01-2019, 12:11 PM
That's what I was thinking. If this started to become a trend it might usher in pay for play if the NCAA sees its cash cow get picked apart. But even if the NCAA refused to pay players and a new league became the NFL minor leagues for 18-21 year olds I can't imagine college football become like like college baseball. There is too much tradition and loyalty to college football. It would diminish it some, and certainly on a national level....but there would still be a lot of excitement and focus on college football without 1st & 2nd round talent playing for any of the teams.

The NCAA's cash cow is the bb tournament, they really don't make $'s off of fb. The schools and conferences make money on FB, but he NCAA generates most of their income because they own the tournament. Most schools can't afford to pay the fb players and personally I think that this would cause NCAA to actually return to amateur status.

smootness
02-01-2019, 12:28 PM
I wonder how the development would compare to college football. Assuming this new league has competent coaches, it could be better with no restrictions on practice time, contact with coaches, whatever

I assume it would make development more difficult. Unless you get a ton of good players to do it, which is highly doubtful, you'll be competing against worse players with worse coaching.

msstate7
02-01-2019, 12:33 PM
I assume it would make development more difficult. Unless you get a ton of good players to do it, which is highly doubtful, you'll be competing against worse players with worse coaching.

Maybe. I would think current practice squad nfl players would be interested in this though, maybe. If they can pull them, I think those players are better than the vast majority of college players.

Matty Dispatch
02-01-2019, 03:00 PM
The NCAA's cash cow is the bb tournament, they really don't make $'s off of fb. The schools and conferences make money on FB, but he NCAA generates most of their income because they own the tournament. Most schools can't afford to pay the fb players and personally I think that this would cause NCAA to actually return to amateur status.

Well what I meant was college presidents and those who would stand to lose money forcing the NCAA to allow pay for play.

Matty Dispatch
02-01-2019, 03:05 PM
Maybe. I would think current practice squad nfl players would be interested in this though, maybe. If they can pull them, I think those players are better than the vast majority of college players.

All this league needs is to prove to the NFL that it can lure enough 18-21 year old talent that it's a viable option to become the NFL minor league. Then the NFL can pump enough money into it to sustain the league and pay each player $50,000 per year or whatever until they reach draft eligible status. If it's backed by the NFL then players would be willing to commit to it - right now there's little guarantee it would last more than a year so only delinquents are going to choose go into that league.