PDA

View Full Version : MHP officer charged with manslaughter for 2017 wreck killing MSU track member

starkvegasdawg
01-31-2019, 05:38 PM
http://starkvilledailynews.com/node/125497?fbclid=IwAR2E1vSKtfFGu4ELURMqnZwg-pHfk9eU-n8aD7Jh-GYwsq3gh1N_RRWXx-g

timotheus
01-31-2019, 10:47 PM
The law is being applied fully as it should. I hate it for all parties. My grandaddy used to say that "being stupid ain't against the law". It appears that isn't the case here.

BoomBoom
02-01-2019, 02:41 PM
http://starkvilledailynews.com/node/125497?fbclid=IwAR2E1vSKtfFGu4ELURMqnZwg-pHfk9eU-n8aD7Jh-GYwsq3gh1N_RRWXx-g

Now cops have to have their lights and sirens on when going 30 over the limit. So 25 over is fine apparently.

WeWonItAll(Most)
02-01-2019, 06:29 PM
Now cops have to have their lights and sirens on when going 30 over the limit. So 25 over is fine apparently.
How stupid is that. It has always bothered me to see cops flying without lights on. I didn?t realize they were essentially doing it with impunity.

QuadrupleOption
02-01-2019, 07:17 PM
How stupid is that. It has always bothered me to see cops flying without lights on. I didn?t realize they were essentially doing it with impunity.

Of course they are - who the Hell is going to pull them over? I appreciate what police do for our communities but right now there is VERY LITTLE recourse for citizens when police officers do illegal things.

RocketDawg
02-01-2019, 07:45 PM

It's also endangering the public. Anecdotaly ... our last home game, I was going west on Hwy 82 in the left lane, driven about 73 or so, passing some slow cars on the right. I glance up to my rear view mirror and a MHP blacked out SUV was about 3 feet off my bumper, no lights, no sirens. I didn't speed up for fear of getting a speeding ticket, but once I got safely by the cars I was passing, I flipped my signal and moved to the right lane. He crammed it, and must have been going well over 100, just because he could. He should have been thrown in the pokey ... what he was doing was dangerous in game day traffic, or any other time. I didn't get the tag number, but I noted the time and mile marker, but never turned it in.

Around here, they give the excuse of "running code", which means going to a scene in stealth mode without lights or sirens. That's total poppycock and should not happen. I'm all for the cops doing their duty which is to keep us safer (and not enhance revenue), but they should have to observe traffic laws just like the rest of us except when on a real emergency call (and that does NOT mean being in a hurry to the Waffle House).

To add another: There was a Huntsville city policeman involved in a wreck, his fault, and he had been drinking. Not sure if he was in is own car or his police cruiser (they're allowed to take them home here). Was charged with DUI but let off scott free supposedly because it was a first offense. Would that happen to any of us? I don't think so.

KB549
02-02-2019, 03:34 AM
I was doing some equipment troubleshooting work at a jail in ***** county about 7 years ago. Some of the guys (sheriff, captain, and a few more said “It’s lunch time. Come ‘on and go eat with us.” Now we were in a small town. But that small town didn’t have a **** (local to MS soup & sandwich chain), so we went to the next closest bigger city by way of the interstate. I rode in the back seat of an unmarked, but obvious LE car (big spotlight on the driver’s A pillar, lights in the windshield and back glass.) I noticed we were passing people on the interstate like they were setting still. Looked up at the gage cluster and we were doing 100-110 the whole time we were on the interstate. No lights. Everyone talking and carrying on normal conversation like it was a Sunday stroll. Same thing on the way back to the jail.

I’ve got an uncle that drives prisoner transport. He got pulled over by MHP for doing 95-100. They thought something was wrong, like a sick prisoner or prisoner takeover of the van. He said, “No, just trying to get home at a decent hour.” MHP let him go, said to try to keep it under 90.

Names and places removed to protect me from retaliation