PDA

View Full Version : Recruiting Guys

Rick Danko
01-30-2019, 05:37 PM
Who are we after for men?s basketball? I admittedly don?t even know when signing day is, but curious who are next crop of talent coming in is. TIA

Hot Rock
01-30-2019, 05:49 PM
There is a thread at the top of the page that has tons of discussion. Go read it and you will be up as much as anyone. Signing day next week.. Come back then and all of us will know more.

Homedawg
01-30-2019, 06:05 PM
There is a thread at the top of the page that has tons of discussion. Go read it and you will be up as much as anyone. Signing day next week.. Come back then and all of us will know more.

He said basketball dude.

Rick Danko
01-30-2019, 06:08 PM

Boy that?s a swing and miss for you guy....

Irondawg
01-30-2019, 06:31 PM
here's who we signed

https://247sports.com/college/mississippi-state/Season/2019-Basketball/Commits/

I'll be honest that I don't know much about these guys and only watched a small amount of videos. King appears to be the most ready to play but he's another one of these 2/3 stringy athletic guys. Molinar has some big upside, but he's another athlete first PG over a floor general from what I've seen.

I didn't get a great feel for D. Butts but he did claim a Wichita State offer which made me feel better. But nothing really excited me on his video I watched.

I don't see a lot of immediate impact out of this group and I'm really worried about PG next year. I think we're going to be banking on Peters somehow coming back or a grad transfer.

Hot Rock
01-30-2019, 06:57 PM
Damn, just damn. I really thought was helping. tons of info up there. Reminder to self, don't skim sentences.

StarkVegasSteve
01-30-2019, 09:15 PM
We'll probably offer the other Weatherspoon after the season. Have to see how many scholarships we have available

Ari Gold
01-30-2019, 09:25 PM
We need a grad transfer that can play the 4

maroonmania
01-30-2019, 09:34 PM

We already have Oduro from Siena sitting out this year. Is he a 4 for next year? Listed at 6'8 255.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
01-30-2019, 09:50 PM

Is Perry leaving?

HoopsDawg
01-30-2019, 10:08 PM

Huh?

CadaverDawg
01-30-2019, 10:24 PM
I'm still hoping for a trip to the big dance this year, but what are we expecting as a guess at starting 5 next year? Perry and Woodard have me excited about the future in addition to the rest of this year

Leeshouldveflanked
01-30-2019, 10:38 PM
We'll probably offer the other Weatherspoon after the season. Have to see how many scholarships we have available

Looking like he is going to Ole Miss...

Irondawg
01-31-2019, 12:23 AM
I had forgotten about Oduro

CadaverDawg
01-31-2019, 07:49 AM
Looking like he is going to Ole Miss...

Is he not as good as his brothers? Why aren't we after him

smootness
01-31-2019, 08:38 AM
Is he not as good as his brothers? Why aren't we after him

He is not as good as his brothers.

fader2103
01-31-2019, 08:56 AM
He also wants to write his own legacy, not follow in his brother's footsteps. That is why he is at Canton and not Velma Jackson. He is a little different than his brothers.

HoopsDawg
01-31-2019, 09:51 AM
I'm still hoping for a trip to the big dance this year, but what are we expecting as a guess at starting 5 next year? Perry and Woodard have me excited about the future in addition to the rest of this year

Nick, Carter, Woodard, Perry and Ado. Stewart, Oduro, and Molinar of the bench.

smootness
01-31-2019, 09:56 AM
Frankly, I like seeing the lower-ranked signees. That's what Howland built his reputation on, guys who weren't as heralded who came in ready to work, be physical, play defense, etc. Obviously it remains to be seen if these guys fit that bill, but I'm kind of over the big-time signees.

smootness
01-31-2019, 09:57 AM
Nick, Carter, Woodard, Perry and Ado. Stewart, Oduro, and Molinar of the bench.

And I really like that team. Carter is not great on D, but the physicality of Woodard can offset it.

Rick Danko
01-31-2019, 09:59 AM
Are we sure Nick is coming back? He tested the NBA waters last year to get feedback

msstate7
01-31-2019, 10:00 AM
And I really like that team. Carter is not great on D, but the physicality of Woodard can offset it.

Dj Stewart is listed at 6'6" 200 lbs. If he can play the 2, that would be big when we play bigger teams

msstate7
01-31-2019, 10:03 AM
Frankly, I like seeing the lower-ranked signees. That's what Howland built his reputation on, guys who weren't as heralded who came in ready to work, be physical, play defense, etc. Obviously it remains to be seen if these guys fit that bill, but I'm kind of over the big-time signees.

During tenn game on espn, they said Rick Barnes said (on building this current team) that he looked for coachability moreso than stars. Seemed to work out well

CovertDawg
01-31-2019, 10:33 AM
Next year's team could potentially be very physical with Nick, Perry, and Woodard. DJ Stewart also has the athleticism to be an absolute stud on defense. Someone asked about Nick and the NBA but at his size he needs to be able to run the point and stretch his shooting out some more. The NBA wants 3 point shooting more than ever. His shot has come a long way but he needs to stretch it out even further with another year of development. I am still concerned about Ado being so weak with the ball in his hands. I am not even asking that he develop a post game ...just need him to be able to grab an offensive rebound and not get the ball stripped from him while going back up. I was really high on him after last year but he seems to have regressed with his hands.

Ari Gold
01-31-2019, 10:41 AM
Huh?

Forgot about the kid from Siena .. if he can play the 4 for us that has been addressed
But I’m still all for a grad transfer..
Depth people.. we need good depth.
And we need some toughness. Possible the most valuable player on Kentucky’s team this year is a the grad center from Stanford... just shows how valuable experience is

msstate7
01-31-2019, 10:43 AM
Next year's team could potentially be very physical with Nick, Perry, and Woodard. DJ Stewart also has the athleticism to be an absolute stud on defense. Someone asked about Nick and the NBA but at his size he needs to be able to run the point and stretch his shooting out some more. The NBA wants 3 point shooting more than ever. His shot has come a long way but he needs to stretch it out even further with another year of development. I am still concerned about Ado being so weak with the ball in his hands. I am not even asking that he develop a post game ...just need him to be able to grab an offensive rebound and not get the ball stripped from him while going back up. I was really high on him after last year but he seems to have regressed with his hands.

We need to hire an assistant that can develop bigs.

Ari Gold
01-31-2019, 10:52 AM
We need to hire an assistant that can develop bigs.

I actalluy agree with Mstate to a degree.
But I want an ex head coach on the staff. Tony Barbe is at UK , Pelphrey is at Bama , ect ect....
and I know we have one know I think Ziegler was at Cent Mich or western Mich , but one that has coached big time P5