PDA

View Full Version : Is Moorhead too Nice?

ShotgunDawg
01-30-2019, 05:28 PM
I don't know why this kind of made me roll my eyes or even if it should have, but it did for some reason.

I guess after the lack of discipline at times from our team this year, recruits taking of advantage of Moorhead's naiveness, & other coaches/programs taking advantage of Moorhead as well, I'm just worried to some degree.

The top coaches in college football, other than Chris Peterson & Dabo(who is type A but not an asshole), are basically all type A assholes with very little ethics & a cut throat, no fear mentality. Saban, Meyer, Smart, Mullen, Herman, Jimbo, Lincoln, etc basically all have the exact same personality & ethical code. In college baseball & basketball, it's much of the same. Casey, O'Sullivan, Cohen, Schloss, etc basically are all the exact same type A as well.

Yet, we've got a great human running our football program. I want nothing more than this guy to win, but can he win in modern college football with this type of personality.

Not complaining. Just asking a serious question that I don't have the answer to. I don't think Joe realizes that these other coaches are out to slit his throat & I wish Joe being such a great guy helped in recruiting. Maybe it will long term. Not sure.

Gutter Cobreh
01-30-2019, 05:33 PM
Ignorant thread. Whether the coaching profession is cutthroat or not, it shouldn't define the person.

Joe seems to be a genuine person and I'm glad he represents our university. I'd much rather this be our representation then the last coach who was more concerned with what shoes he was wearing or if she should go slacks or shorts for the opening game....

BrunswickDawg
01-30-2019, 05:34 PM
Do us a favor. Keep more of your thoughts to yourself.

ShotgunDawg
01-30-2019, 05:38 PM
Ignorant thread. Whether the coaching profession is cutthroat or not, it shouldn't define the person.

Joe seems to be a genuine person and I'm glad he represents our university. I'd much rather this be our representation then the last coach who was more concerned with what shoes he was wearing or if she should go slacks or shorts for the opening game....

I hear you & understand what you're saying. I personally care more about winning than any that you apparently care about

ShotgunDawg
01-30-2019, 05:39 PM

Heaven forbid we discuss the elephant in the room with our head coach

Hot Rock
01-30-2019, 05:46 PM
I don't know why this kind of made me roll my eyes or even if it should have, but it did for some reason.

I guess after the lack of discipline at times from our team this year, recruits taking of advantage of Moorhead's naiveness, & other coaches/programs taking advantage of Moorhead as well, I'm just worried to some degree.

The top coaches in college football, other than Chris Peterson & Dabo(who is type A but not an asshole), are basically all type A assholes with very little ethics & a cut throat, no fear mentality. Saban, Meyer, Smart, Mullen, Herman, Jimbo, Lincoln, etc basically all have the exact same personality & ethical code. In college baseball & basketball, it's much of the same. Casey, O'Sullivan, Cohen, Schloss, etc basically are all the exact same type A as well.

Yet, we've got a great human running our football program. I want nothing more than this guy to win, but can he win in modern college football with this type of personality.

Not complaining. Just asking a serious question that I don't have the answer to. I don't think Joe realizes that these other coaches are out to slit his throat & I wish Joe being such a great guy helped in recruiting. Maybe it will long term. Not sure.

I just started trying to find a couple couple "nice" successful coaches and guess what. I didn't have to think hard at all. How about Vic Shafer, Tony Dungee and how about maybe the best coach ever in any sport, John Wooden. Him being nice is not a problem. Intensity, focus and drive are not just for assholes.

ShotgunDawg
01-30-2019, 05:49 PM
I just started trying to find a couple couple "nice" successful coaches and guess what. I didn't have to think hard at all. How about Vic Shafer, Tony Dungee and how about maybe the best coach ever in any sport, John Wooden. Him being nice is not a problem. Intensity, focus and drive are not just for assholes.

Are you seriously trying to compare the leagues those guy's coach in to recruiting in the SEC?

And before you think John Wooden was some incredible human, make sure you read up on Sam Gilbert

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sam_Gilbert_(businessman)

deadheaddawg
01-30-2019, 05:50 PM
lol

What a dumb thread you started and what a dumber follow up post.

basedog
01-30-2019, 05:50 PM
Well first off, we won 8 games, not bad for a 1st year Coach even thou some aren't happy nor understand 3 plays made the difference in 3 more wins. In saying this, it's only year one and he gets another year or two to really know what he is made of.

JoeMo did talk (with my friend and I) about the guy Lsu hired from Penn State who was a grad assistant with him in 2016. He also mentioned several others on that staff who have been promoted which there were several. In saying this, he was referring that we also have or had a great staff and that is what it takes to win. We lost 4 coaches off his staff which means they must be pretty good.

I think it's cool he posted a message to Coach O, and yes he is a nice guy but so are many Coaches the late Coach Wooten from Ucla. You don't have to be an asshole to win and the definition of a "good coach" is one who can get the most out of the talent he has.

Football season is basically over in year one for Joe, I don't understand why we have to rehash the past season so much cause nothing will change except may Joe learned from his many mistakes and will do much better. Good coaches adjust, let's see if Joe does. Some especially the ED naysayers have already given up and think he should be fired so we can start over. That is ridiculous as patience and time will tell the true story.

Lastly Shotgun, I never have been at a practice or locker room with Joe, I think when he has a rule and it's broken he will not let it go, can you say Fitz suspension?

Just saying as one year isn't enough for me to really know so I ain't gonna bitch ever about winning and going to a Jan 1 bowl regardless of preseason predictions.

ShotgunDawg
01-30-2019, 05:54 PM
Well first off, we won 8 games, not bad for a 1st year Coach even thou some aren't happy nor understand 3 plays made the difference in 3 more wins. In saying this, it's only year one and he gets another year or two to really know what he is made of.

JoeMo did talk (with my friend and I) about the guy Lsu hired from Penn State who was a grad assistant with him in 2016. He also mentioned several others on that staff who have been promoted which there were several. In saying this, he was referring that we also have or had a great staff and that is what it takes to win. We lost 4 coaches off his staff which means they must be pretty good.

I think it's cool he posted a message to Coach O, and yes he is a nice guy but so are many Coaches the late Coach Wooten from Ucla. You don't have to be an asshole to win and the definition of a "good coach" is one who can get the most out of the talent he has.

Football season is basically over in year one for Joe, I don't understand why we have to rehash the past season so much cause nothing will change except may Joe learned from his many mistakes and will do much better. Good coaches adjust, let's see if Joe does. Some especially the ED naysayers have already given up and think he should be fired so we can start over. That is ridiculous as patience and time will tell the true story.

Lastly Shotgun, I never have been at a practice or locker room with Joe, I think when he has a rule and it's broken he will not let it go, can you say Fitz suspension?

Just saying as one year isn't enough for me to really know so I ain't gonna bitch ever about winning and going to a Jan 1 bowl regardless of preseason predictions.

Reasonable post, although I would say again that John Wooden cheated his ass off & coaching & recruiting in SEC football is different from anything else.

basedog
01-30-2019, 06:00 PM
Reasonable post, although I would say again that John Wooden cheated his ass off & coaching & recruiting in SEC football is different from anything else.

Had the pleasure of meeting Coach Wooten back in 1979 when I was still Coaching. Actually it was at Msu the very first Babe McCarthy awards ceremony which I had a High School player that received an award. No ay do I think Coach Wooten "cheated his off", class well respected coach, maybe the best ever for his time at Ucla. No outlaws who never got into trouble. You need to go read his book, he was more than just a Coach, he cared about his players and staff and loved his family.
His speech that night was out of sight and out of mine, I was blown away with him so please on bashing a great Coach.

ShotgunDawg
01-30-2019, 06:01 PM
Had the pleasure of meeting Coach Wooten back in 1979 when I was still Coaching. Actually it was at Msu the very first Babe McCarthy awards ceremony which I had a High School player that received an award. No way do I think Coach Wooten "cheated his off", class well respected coach, maybe the best ever for his time at Ucla. No outlaws who never got into trouble. You need to go read his book, he was more than just a Coach, he cared about his players and staff and loved his family.
His speech that night was out of sight and out of mine, I was blown away with him so please on bashing a great Coach.

http://articles.latimes.com/2010/jun/08/sports/la-sp-0609-wooden-gilbert-20100609

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/bob-knight-slams-legendary-coach-john-wooden-says-ucla-cheated-in-recruiting/

ScoobaDawg
01-30-2019, 06:11 PM

Is this really the elephant in the room after one year? Or are you just looking for something negative about him.
Let's finish off the signing class and see what he can do in the next 2 years with his own player and QB. Yes it sucks, a super talented team was wasted this year because he couldn't use Fitz correctly..but he's not going anywhere until 3 years I would guess.

basedog
01-30-2019, 06:16 PM

http://articles.latimes.com/2010/jun/08/sports/la-sp-0609-wooden-gilbert-20100609

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/bob-knight-slams-legendary-coach-john-wooden-says-ucla-cheated-in-recruiting/

Lots of chatter after one dies, you could mention Rupp and many others in this conversations but again Wooten was more than a basketball coach to players. Bobby Knight has done much worse, I lost a lot of respect for him, there is an asshole!

dawgday166
01-30-2019, 06:30 PM
Lots of chatter after one dies, you could mention Rupp and many others in this conversations but again Wooten was more than a basketball coach to players. Bobby Knight has done much worse, I lost a lot of respect for him, there is an asshole!

Different era ... hard to really compare recruiting then & now. The thing is Wooden's 1st 2 championship teams were undersized. Alcindor & Walton came later.

And while Knight may not have cheated, he ran off the greatest player ever to play (briefly) for him and it ain't even close.

MrKotter
01-30-2019, 06:31 PM
The elephant in the room is whether Moorhead is too nice? Did you sleep through Mullen?s time here? He was a backup plan for numerous recruits yearly. So far, Moorhead looks to be a better recruiter. And, Dabo has seemed to have sold you on his public persona.

dawgday166
01-30-2019, 06:35 PM
I think Moorhead is learning on the job. And I do think he may be too nice when coaching offense cause we weren't as physical as we had been the year before and also made too many mental errors in our losses. I'm hoping our future offenses will display some of the toughness our D did this past year (hope Shoop keeps it up too).

confucius say
01-30-2019, 06:36 PM
Don't confuse asshole and type A. Dabo is the best thing going and he is a good human being. Awesome guy.

ShotgunDawg
01-30-2019, 06:37 PM
The elephant in the room is whether Moorhead is too nice? Did you sleep through Mullen?s time here? He was a backup plan for numerous recruits yearly. So far, Moorhead looks to be a better recruiter. And, Dabo has seemed to have sold you on his public persona.

How can you call someone a better recruiter when he is on the cusp of landing 2 of the top 10 players in the state & being out recruited in his own state by Auburn & Bama? That NEVER happened to Mullen

Heaven forbid we actually look at results to make statements like this. If he has a big signing day, then I'll change my stance, but at this point there is NO tangible evidence that he is a better recruiter than Dan Mullen.

Perhaps he's better at certain things in recruiting than Dan Mullen, but Mullen could've been better at less celebrated parts of recruiting. IDK, but I think people that continue to state this are participating in the Bird Box challenge of recruiting. Blindfolded

basedog
01-30-2019, 06:37 PM
Different era ... hard to really compare recruiting then & now. The thing is Wooden's 1st 2 championship teams were undersized. Alcindor & Walton came later.

And while Knight may not have cheated, he ran off the greatest player ever to play (briefly) for him and it ain't even close.

Perks been around especially basketball since Naismith hung that wooden basket. Oh the story I know about the cheating from Crum and Luke Olsen on two former Miss players.

Back to the topic, hell if I keep posting I may catch 7!

dawgday166
01-30-2019, 06:47 PM
Perks been around especially basketball since Naismith hung that wooden basket. Oh the story I know about the cheating from Crum and Luke Olsen on two former Miss players.

Back to the topic, hell if I keep posting I may catch 7!

My bad basedog ... thought I was replying to Shotgun.

yjnkdawg
01-30-2019, 07:08 PM
No, we and our players would rather have our coach cussing our players out all the time,. The players love that.**** JoeMo is a lot more aware of what is going on with the recruiting end and what other coaches are up to than a keyboard message board poster who comes up with all kinds of doom and gloom posts. So everything will be all right, as the song says. A few on here, seriously, need to find a hobby away from message boards for at least a few days, if only for mental health reasons (other posters on this board's mental health stability).

Howboutdemdogs
01-30-2019, 07:10 PM
Sometimes the strongest is the most silent. Walk softly and carry a big stick as
Roosevelt use to say.

yjnkdawg
01-30-2019, 07:11 PM

That will definitely not come to fruition, but a great idea, and suggestion.

CadaverDawg
01-30-2019, 07:12 PM
http://i1306.photobucket.com/albums/s570/Peaches_TL/Bad-Thread-L-opt.jpg

dawgday166
01-30-2019, 07:12 PM
No, we and our players would rather have our coach cussing our players out all the time,. The players love that.**** JoeMo is a lot more aware of what is going on with the recruiting end and what other coaches are up to than a keyboard message board poster who comes up with all kinds of doom and gloom posts. So everything will be all right, as the song says. A few on here, seriously, need to find a hobby away from message boards for at least a few days, if only for mental health reasons.

Sometimes the strongest is the most silent. Walk softly and carry a big stick as
Roosevelt use to say.

Not saying he should be cussing out folks all the time. But I don't want him to always be patting them on the back telling them how great they are either. And I just want them to show more physicality and mental toughness on offense too .. regardless of how it happens.

Dawg61
01-30-2019, 07:15 PM

Bobby Knight was certainly a phenomenal asshole but I don't think he can be blamed for running off Larry Bird when Bird had only been enrolled at IU for a month before quitting school and going back home to tiny French Lick, IN. Bird has forever said he was home sick and didn't like the big Bloomington campus life compared to his tiny home town.

dawgday166
01-30-2019, 07:19 PM
Bobby Knight was certainly a phenomenal asshole but I don't think he can be blamed for running off Larry Bird when Bird had only been enrolled at IU for a month before quitting school and going back home to tiny French Lick, IN. Bird has forever said he was home sick and didn't like the big Bloomington campus life compared to his tiny home town.

Ehh ... maybe. I kinda think that was Bird taking the high road some too.

yjnkdawg
01-30-2019, 07:30 PM
Not saying he should be cussing out folks all the time. But I don't want him to always be patting them on the back telling them how great they are either. And I just want them to show more physicality and mental toughness on offense too .. regardless of how it happens.

I agree on this. I was just trying to make a point, with the cussing comment.

msstate7
01-30-2019, 07:35 PM
I may catch 7!

Not a chance

BuckyIsAB****
01-30-2019, 07:42 PM
It has been my biggest concern with him as well, but it has nothing to do with what he texts to other HCs. Its how he handles the kids and holding them accountable.

I do think he improved as the year went and finally found something he wanted to do and stuck with it, which was his offense (even though it didnt fit us) but thats why hes the HC and Im not.

Liverpooldawg
01-30-2019, 08:09 PM

Ole Miss' big mouth 17n AD says no.

basedog
01-30-2019, 08:12 PM
It has been my biggest concern with him as well, but it has nothing to do with what he texts to other HCs. Its how he handles the kids and holding them accountable.

I do think he improved as the year went and finally found something he wanted to do and stuck with it, which was his offense (even though it didnt fit us) but thats why hes the HC and Im not.

And that was pretty much what JoeMo told me and my buddy.

Doggie_Style
01-30-2019, 08:17 PM
One thing we do know is that Joe won’t tolerate any Ole Piss AD “Poppin Off”.....LOL

maroonmania
01-30-2019, 08:30 PM
Are you seriously trying to compare the leagues those guy's coach in to recruiting in the SEC?

And before you think John Wooden was some incredible human, make sure you read up on Sam Gilbert

I do think there are a few hard lessons that Joe has learned or is learning about the cut throat, "win at all costs" attitude with most of the coaches and programs in the SEC. Its probably way more than he ever experienced or even saw Franklin experience in the Big 10. For one thing he's probably never seen a conference cater to a team like the SEC caters to Bama or someone that thinks they run a conference like Lil' Nicky. Otherwise Moorhead would have never expected a courtesy call on Huff or Baker. Moorhead showed at the Egg Bowl that he can get his dander up and fire back at folks, I just think there is a learning curve for him to the culture of the coaches in the SEC and to some extent the players in the SEC. I do think our players took advantage of JoMo with some of their ridiculous behavior on the field this year that garnered penalties. Hope Joe learned that he may have to run a bit tighter ship so to speak if he wants his players to behave with more discipline and class on gameday.

Gutter Cobreh
01-30-2019, 09:00 PM

This I agree with. I could discuss this topic as a thread, but sending a message to another head coach to acknowledge him hiring someone Joe knows being construed as "soft" is ludicrous.

Todd4State
01-30-2019, 09:17 PM
No, we and our players would rather have our coach cussing our players out all the time,. The players love that.**** JoeMo is a lot more aware of what is going on with the recruiting end and what other coaches are up to than a keyboard message board poster who comes up with all kinds of doom and gloom posts. So everything will be all right, as the song says. A few on here, seriously, need to find a hobby away from message boards for at least a few days, if only for mental health reasons (other posters on this board's mental health stability).

If we have a coach that cuss, our fans want a coach that is nice. If we have a coach that is nice we want a coach that cusses. By now I'm convinced our fans don't know what they want.

And as far as Joe's class- we have as many or more 4-5 star recruits than all of Dan's classes except for one. I'm not talking well....we're probably getting this guy and maybe that guy.....I'm talking at least verbally committed. And of that group there is only one who hasn't signed a LOI or enrolled already. If we flip Mingo and Ealy that will be more four-five star commits than any of Dan's classes. And this in a year where Joe is "learning".