PDA

View Full Version : OK Basketball know-it-alls

parabrave
01-30-2019, 11:34 AM
Listening to Hadad and Coleman they brought up a theory about different Balls being used in the NCAA. They mentioned and went into detail about how we use Wilson balls and BAMA and other schools using NIKE balls and the outcomes of games where each ball was being used. They brought up the fact that the NIKE balls were more slick than the Wilson one and how that might affect our shooting. How many of ya'll have heard of this?

Political Hack
01-30-2019, 11:37 AM
We must have a tough time playing defense in the paint against those balls.

Jack Lambert
01-30-2019, 11:42 AM
Our shooting was horrible last night. Missed 9 free throws or so in the first half. It is also part of the home court advantage. it is hard to win on the road. We just can't lose home games like we have already done.

msstate7
01-30-2019, 11:45 AM

Nice

ShotgunDawg
01-30-2019, 11:52 AM
I can't imagine that MSU doesn't practice evenly with both types of balls, so it would seem to me that it would even out since I'm sure Bama practices with both types of balls as well

Political Hack
01-30-2019, 11:57 AM
I doubt they rotate balls in practice unless they identified it as a problem. They do feel a little different... groove depth, slickness, etc... will make them feel a little different. It goes away quick though. I don't think it has anything to do with missing a million free throws and 3's.

ShotgunDawg
01-30-2019, 12:06 PM
I doubt they rotate balls in practice unless they identified it as a problem. .

Then we either have a staff full of idiots or it's not an issue

Cooterpoot
01-30-2019, 12:10 PM
Slick balls make their fingers look bigger.

Commercecomet24
01-30-2019, 12:10 PM

Yeah the way we play defense is what bothers me the most. Teams show their "want to" on the defensive end and we don't always have the "want to". When you give up 60 points in the paint it ain't the ball lol!

TNDawg35
01-30-2019, 12:13 PM
Slick balls make their fingers look bigger.

That’s what she said...

HancockCountyDog
01-30-2019, 12:13 PM
Every time I think I've heard of all of the ways a loss can be blamed on something, there is a new one I haven't heard of before.

Slick balls.

That is a new one.

Isn't it possible that instead of having a team that I thought would be a 4-5 seed is more than likely to end up as a 8-10 seed and teams that are 8-10 seeds lose road games to decent teams. Bama is decent.

CadaverDawg
01-30-2019, 12:14 PM

Haha, End thread.

dawgday166
01-30-2019, 12:14 PM
I used to be a shooter and yea, it can make a difference if there is a totally different feel to the ball. Shouldn't affect your defense tho. Probably dependent on the player too. Some it may not bother much at all or they get used to it real quick.

parabrave
01-30-2019, 12:50 PM
Haha, End thread.

The question had nothing to do with why we lost, swiss cheese defense BTW, but does using different Balls in games affect teams shooting percentile. I thought that all teams would use a universal ball for all games.

KentuckyDawg13
01-30-2019, 01:02 PM
Nick actually talked about this a few days ago and said that they will practice with NIKE balls before bama. Didn't seem to help.

Lord McBuckethead
01-30-2019, 01:47 PM
Should practice a zone when the other team is shooting 8% from the three point stripe, but have hammered you for 60+ points in the paint. I would worry about the slick ball when our defenders are within an arms length of defending a pass, shot, or an open dunk.

CadaverDawg
01-30-2019, 01:49 PM
The question had nothing to do with why we lost, swiss cheese defense BTW, but does using different Balls in games affect teams shooting percentile. I thought that all teams would use a universal ball for all games.

Oh I know, just thought Hack's comment was so true & hilarious

parabrave
01-30-2019, 01:54 PM
Oh I know, just thought Hack's comment was so true & hilarious

Yep it was. You should've heard Coach Williams realtime outtakes during the game. He must of used flatfooted a dozen times during rebounding opportunities. I would've used the good ole Dorn comparrison when trying to defend Bamas drive; OLE'.

basedog
01-30-2019, 01:59 PM
Then we either have a staff full of idiots or it's not an issue

Not the issue Shotgun. Just an excuse for shooting woes. The ball is the same size with weight being the same, now some rims are tighter. Also there is a little difference in feel of different brand balls but Players adjust pretty quickly, never ever heard of rotating balls in practice.

Dawg61
01-30-2019, 02:06 PM
Should practice a zone when the other team is shooting 8% from the three point stripe, but have hammered you for 60+ points in the paint.

This. Howland's stubbornness to play any other defense besides man might be the most frustrating thing about him. What the 17 does it hurt to try a different defense when Bama is scoring at will in the paint?

Dawgology
01-30-2019, 02:11 PM
I hope Hadad and Coleman aren't trying to justify a loss based on the basketball type. SMDH.... I may never listen to that podcast again. I'm glad I missed that one.

parabrave
01-30-2019, 02:17 PM
I hope Hadad and Coleman aren't trying to justify a loss based on the basketball type. SMDH.... I may never listen to that podcast again. I'm glad I missed that one.

Oh no they covered all the bases but this was the 1st time I ever heard the NIKE/Wilson ball angle.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
01-30-2019, 02:28 PM

Well considering it is talking about shooting woes, that couldn't be it.

Political Hack
01-30-2019, 03:59 PM
Well considering it is talking about shooting woes, that couldn't be it.

OP said "outcomes of games." The outcome of our game was due to not being able to stop the dribble drive.

It's impossible to say we would've made X more free throws and Z more 3-pointers had we used a Wilson. But if we had not allowed a kagillion points in the paint, we would've won.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
01-30-2019, 04:51 PM
That was in reference to shooting though. The outcomes of game based on shooting but yes you are right we need help in a bad way in the paint. I wouldn't be surprised to see Charmin become a sponsor.

timotheus
01-30-2019, 05:50 PM
This. Howland's stubbornness to play any other defense besides man might be the most frustrating thing about him. What the 17 does it hurt to try a different defense when Bama is scoring at will in the paint?

He doesn't practice or teach another defense. No way that he just all of a sudden decides to try a new trick in middle of a game.

Goldendawg
01-30-2019, 06:51 PM
When told in the off-season that they needed to get in the "weight room", Ado and Holman ( who thinks he is already a NBA 3 point shooter playing in a league where no defense is necessary), thought it was a "Wait Room". This is the reason that they stand and watch so many muscled up type SEC players drive and dunk on them.*** We will continue to get pounded in the paint with all teams with strong post type players, unless Perry and Woodard continue to improve and get more minutes.

Dawg61
01-30-2019, 07:08 PM
He doesn't practice or teach another defense. No way that he just all of a sudden decides to try a new trick in middle of a game.

Practice another defense then for teams that are well prepared to pick apart our man to man because they play us frequently. Avery Johnson OWNS Howland's defense right now. They kept cutting to the basket over and over last night for wide open paint points and Howland had no answer for it. It was clear as day Avery was well prepared to play vs our defense. Cause it never changes.

LC Dawg
01-30-2019, 08:06 PM
Maybe Coach Schaefer needs to loan Coach Howland whatever balls he uses at practice. They seem to work.
Also - "Practice??"