PDA

View Full Version : New Basketball Coach

Dawgology
01-30-2019, 10:38 AM
Just for fun: potential replacements as head coach of the men's basketball team. Since we know Cohen likes to get realtively unknown "up-and-comers" here are a few.

T.J. Otzelberger, South Dakota State

Bob Richey, Furman

Ryan Ridder, Bethune-Cookman

Scott Padgett, Samford

Just some "out of the box" ideas. Anyone else you all can think of besides trying to steal Kermit from Ole Miss?

KOdawg1
01-30-2019, 10:41 AM
Rick Stansbury, Western Kentucky?*

Sorry, I couldn't help myself.

Hambone
01-30-2019, 10:42 AM
I would hope he went full press for Kermit.

MarketingBully
01-30-2019, 10:47 AM
I’d go after Eric Mussleman at Nevada. He would win quick and big. He’s a great recruiter and coach and we have a great nucleus for next year. Mussleman is a future head coaching star.

smootness
01-30-2019, 10:54 AM
I’d go after Eric Mussleman at Nevada. He would win quick and big. He’s a great recruiter and coach and we have a great nucleus for next year. Mussleman is a future head coaching star.

?

It would be tough to pull him from Nevada. Also, he's already been a HC in the NBA...twice.

parabrave
01-30-2019, 11:00 AM
Shane Power

StarkVegasSteve
01-30-2019, 11:07 AM
If we were to move on from Howland I think the list would be 5-7 names. I think there'd be more interest this time in the job than the last two times. Also it doesn't look like it'll be a very saturated coaching market this offseason.

1. Jon Scheyer- quickly has become Coach K's lead assistant. Probably looking for a place to make a name for himself for when the Duke job comes open in a few years.
2. Stan Jones- longtime Leonard Hamilton assistant. Was on Stansbury's staff for a year. Great recruiter and elite bench coach. Also has a lot of ties to the state
3. Dan Majerle- has basically built the program at Grand Canyon. Has a lot of NBA pedigree, which could be a detractor for some.
4. Dan D'Antoni- been at Marshall for 5 years and they've steadily improved each and every year. Brother of Mike D'Antoni
5. Eric Musselman- Built Nevada into a damn powerhouse. Be hard to pull him though.
6. Matt McMahon- In his 4th year at Murray St. and has really only had one bad year. Coming off a 26-6 year last year and has them 16-3 this year.

Wild Cards: 1. Fred Hoiberg- seems to be a lot of interest between him and the NBA, but the guy can flat out coach. If the T'Wolves back off we'd need to jump on him fast.
2. Seth Greenberg- been at ESPN a long time, but probably worth a shot just to guage interest

AROB44
01-30-2019, 05:03 PM
We aren't and won't be looking for a while.

Prentis
01-30-2019, 06:05 PM
We aren't and won't be looking for a while.

We should be...

ShotgunDawg
01-30-2019, 06:06 PM
Shane Power

Shane hasn't coached

AROB44
01-30-2019, 07:14 PM
We should be...

Disagree

dawgday166
01-30-2019, 07:18 PM
We should be...

Not yet IMO. Should always be prepared for a coach to leave .. but we shouldn't actively be looking yet.

Leeshouldveflanked
01-30-2019, 07:28 PM
If Howland doesn’t make NCAA tournament this year he never will at MSU.

dawgday166
01-30-2019, 07:35 PM

While I won't argue Howland's scars from UCLA may be holding him back some (or maybe even a lot), he has hooked his wagon to Peters. Our team really goes as Peters goes and if he tries to kick Peters in the ass ... Peters would probably quit the team.

So I think Howland may deserve a shot with another future PG. JMO tho.

Dawg61
01-30-2019, 08:12 PM

False. Aric Holman is our worst player in the rotation.

Bothrops
01-31-2019, 01:19 AM
FWIW I think the upcoming freshman will be better than some of the higher rated guys that have been starting for a while now.

MarketingBully
01-31-2019, 06:49 AM
While I won't argue Howland's scars from UCLA may be holding him back some (or maybe even a lot), he has hooked his wagon to Peters. Our team really goes as Peters goes and if he tries to kick Peters in the ass ... Peters would probably quit the team.

I agree wholeheartedly with this. When Lamar distributes And gets others involved, we win most of the time. Problem is he’s just as likely to give you a Kentucky or Alabama performance as he is an Auburn one.

RiverCityDawg
01-31-2019, 07:16 AM

Peters is certainly up and down, but his inconsistency is not even top 10 on the list of reasons this team struggles at times. As bad as you think Peters can be, we look way worse when he's not on the floor and someone else is dribbling around with no purpose or plan and the other 4 are just standing around. Also, even when Peters isn't his best he would be good enough if our defense was better, specifically in the post. Holman is soft on defense unless he can block a shot from the help side and Ado gives nothing on offense and is just average at defense and rebounding.

Individual player limitations aside, I don't think Howland is getting the most out of this team. Schaffer is always saying that his team isn't playing hard enough and needs to play harder, despite the fact that his team routinely leaves it all on the floor. I just don't see that mentality from Howland and his team, especially on defense and usually on the boards.

MarketingBully
01-31-2019, 07:53 AM
Peters is certainly up and down, but his inconsistency is not even top 10 on the list of reasons this team struggles at times. As bad as you think Peters can be, we look way worse when he's not on the floor and someone else is dribbling around with no purpose or plan and the other 4 are just standing around. Also, even when Peters isn't his best he would be good enough if our defense was better, specifically in the post. Holman is soft on defense unless he can block a shot from the help side and Ado gives nothing on offense and is just average at defense and rebounding.

Individual player limitations aside, I don't think Howland is getting the most out of this team. Schaffer is always saying that his team isn't playing hard enough and needs to play harder, despite the fact that his team routinely leaves it all on the floor. I just don't see that mentality from Howland and his team, especially on defense and usually on the boards.

We made our run against Alabama with Peters and Holman on the bench. That’s not coincidence.

Dawg61
01-31-2019, 11:54 AM
Peters is a dynamic player. He can get to the rim anytime he wants. There isn't a defender on the planet NBA or college that can stay in front of him. Someone that dynamic you must stay pot committed to. He missed probably 5-6 layup type shots vs Bama. He'll make those shots later on in the season if we stay committed to him. He's the type of player that can carry a team deep in the tournament when he starts taking over games late. Chris Paul carried Wake Forest, Steph Curry carried Davidson. Peters has that type of talent in him. He's the one that should be a lock for the 1st round not Holman. I think Peters is lottery pick level talented.

jwells
01-31-2019, 12:12 PM
Peters is a dynamic player. He can get to the rim anytime he wants. There isn't a defender on the planet NBA or college that can stay in front of him. Someone that dynamic you must stay pot committed to. He missed probably 5-6 layup type shots vs Bama. He'll make those shots later on in the season if we stay committed to him. He's the type of player that can carry a team deep in the tournament when he starts taking over games late. Chris Paul carried Wake Forest, Steph Curry carried Davidson. Peters has that type of talent in him. He's the one that should be a lock for the 1st round not Holman. I think Peters is lottery pick level talented.

I think Howland could do a better job of keeping Peters engaged. He needs to pull him aside and let him know he is the leader of the team, like it or not. And the main reason we go up and down is because Lamar is inconsistent. If Howland would be a motivator and encourage him in the right way, we could take off. But it either hasn't worked or he hasn't done it.

dawgday166
01-31-2019, 02:05 PM

Peters ain't no lottery pick. PSU shut down his dribble drive last year and he couldn't blow past them. And PSU didn't have too shelf talent.