PDA

View Full Version : Deke Adams.

preachermatt83
01-29-2019, 09:53 PM
Lots of highs and lows but all in all I'm actually pretty pleased. He has been around, he's a good recruiter, and he is from me and has recruited the state a lot.

BuckyIsAB****
01-29-2019, 09:54 PM
So is it a done deal

preachermatt83
01-29-2019, 09:55 PM
Steve seems to think so

Cooterpoot
01-29-2019, 10:15 PM
Terrible

Dawg-gone-dawgs
01-29-2019, 10:51 PM
He moves around a lot. He definitely fits the bill for us!!

Ifyouonlyknew
01-29-2019, 10:51 PM
I'm actually good with the hire.

Cooterpoot
01-29-2019, 10:53 PM
He recruited Pickering and some of the Oak Grove guys.

NotCoJoMo
01-29-2019, 10:56 PM

This is the reaction I'm seeing from the majority of the authoritative posters. Could you help the melting majority understand why you're good with the hire? Thanks

Ifyouonlyknew
01-29-2019, 10:58 PM
This is the reaction I'm seeing from the majority of the authoritative posters. Could you help the melting majority understand why you're good with the hire? Thanks

He has MS ties, he's coached in the SEC, & he's a good recruiter. Outside of Bo Davis I don't think there would've been a hire met with overwhelmingly support.

the_real_MSU_is_us
01-29-2019, 10:59 PM
I'm sure he knows MS recruiting and there's nothing saying he's not a good coach.

HOWEVER, I will say that he went 3 years at SC, wasn't retained by Muschamp when he got to town, and then hasn't been able to land a good job since. Baker was thought of highly enough after 2 years at State to get retained, and highly enough after 3 to get poached by Bama. Deke was at SC for 3 years- why wasn't that enough time to show he's a good DL coach? That's my only question. He'll probably do a better job here since he knows the recruiting land better

BhamDawg205
01-29-2019, 11:01 PM
He has MS ties, he's coached in the SEC, & he's a good recruiter. Outside of Bo Davis I don't think there would've been a hire met with overwhelmingly support.

Those MS ties May, see TBuck, keep him focus on this job vs the next great job. Unless it's a HC position.

KOdawg1
01-29-2019, 11:02 PM
Meh.

Ifyouonlyknew
01-29-2019, 11:03 PM
I'm sure he knows MS recruiting and there's nothing saying he's not a good coach.

HOWEVER, I will say that he went 3 years at SC, wasn't retained by Muschamp when he got to town, and then hasn't been able to land a good job since. Baker was thought of highly enough after 2 years at State to get retained, and highly enough after 3 to get poached by Bama. Deke was at SC for 3 years- why wasn't that enough time to show he's a good DL coach? That's my only question. He'll probably do a better job here since he knows the recruiting land better

Muschamp brought in Lance Thompson who had coached at 4 other SEC schools & was considered 1 of the best recruiters in the nation. He went from South Carolina to North Carolina not like he dropped down to Jacksonville St.

ETA: Thompson was gone from South Carolina after 3yrs too.

HoopsDawg
01-29-2019, 11:08 PM
Terrible

Why?

Homedawg
01-29-2019, 11:10 PM

I like 90% of what you say but not this. No thanks.

Really Clark?
01-29-2019, 11:11 PM
Muschamp brought in Lance Thompson who had coached at 4 other SEC schools & was considered 1 of the best recruiters in the nation. He went from South Carolina to North Carolina not like he dropped down to Jacksonville St.

Pretty sure he coached at East Carolina for a year between USCe and UNC 2nd stint

Todd4State
01-29-2019, 11:18 PM

Again most coaches typically aren't retained when a new staff takes over.

Ifyouonlyknew
01-29-2019, 11:27 PM
Outside of Bo Davis every name for DL coach was going to be a mixture of hate it or love it.

the_real_MSU_is_us
01-29-2019, 11:31 PM
Again most coaches typically aren't retained when a new staff takes over.

If they're thought highly of they are.

But that's just one part of my post: Why was ECU the best offer he could get? Why did it take 2 years to get an offer at a P5 school (UNC)? Why was he not retained my Mack Brown, and why was Memphis the best offer he could get till we came along? It doesn't seem like the football world thinks very highly of him. Again I'm not down on the hire per se or am I trying to say he won't be great, just that it's a concern

Todd4State
01-29-2019, 11:31 PM
Outside of Bo Davis every name for DL coach was going to be a mixture of hate it or love it.

I'm indifferent. I think he'll fine. He did OK at South Carolina and USM and the other programs weren't in good shape and I highly doubt the DL coach was solely the reason for that at North Carolina.

If he doesn't work out we fire him next year and get someone else. It is what it is.

HoopsDawg
01-29-2019, 11:32 PM

But that's just one part of my post: Why was ECU the best offer he could get? Why did it take 2 years to get an offer at a P5 school (UNC)? Why was he not retained my Mack Brown, and why was Memphis the best offer he could get till we came along? It doesn't seem like the football world thinks very highly of him. Again I'm not down on the hire per se or am I trying to say he won't be great, just that it's a concern

Fair post and good questions.

Todd4State
01-29-2019, 11:46 PM

Not necessarily. See Todd Grantham with MSU last year.

Sometimes people have to take the best job they can get. Manny Diaz had to go to La Tech after MSU and Texas before going to MSU and Miami.

Most head coaches want to bring in their guys that they know well and are comfortable with and typically only keep one or two guys for continuity usually for recruiting purposes. North Carolina hired Tom Cross to replace Deke Adams- and Cross is a coach that has been with Mack Brown before. Just like Lance Thompson who replaced Adams at South Carolina and had coached with Will Muschamp before as well.

Ifyouonlyknew
01-29-2019, 11:46 PM

It just happens that way sometimes. Brian Baker was coaching HS football, Dameyune Craig spent last season as a Quality Control Coach, & Lance Thompson is at the house right now.

Barking 13
01-30-2019, 04:46 AM
What if Shoop wanted him?

Dawgowar
01-30-2019, 06:02 AM
What if Shoop wanted him?

Lol...then Shoop don’t know as much as some posters.

Seems like a solid hire to me. That loser USC coach before Muschamp...Spurrhead? Sparkle? Spu-something....anyway, doubt he could remotely recognize coaching ability either.

Leeshouldveflanked
01-30-2019, 07:05 AM
Good assistants cost $$$.... Cohen don?t play that game.

hacker
01-30-2019, 07:51 AM

We hired Baker away from a high school

dawgday166
01-30-2019, 07:53 AM
Lol...then Shoop don?t know as much as some posters.

Seems like a solid hire to me. That loser USC coach before Muschamp...Spurrhead? Sparkle? Spu-something....anyway, doubt he could remotely recognize coaching ability either.

So you think Spurrier is a "loser coach"?

Leeshouldveflanked
01-30-2019, 07:58 AM
We hired Baker away from a high school

It was a Texas High School too.**

dawgday166
01-30-2019, 08:01 AM
I'm trusting Shoop on this one. Sometimes folks need a different environment or something that rejuvenates them. Baker became a "great" DL coach with Shoop and I think Shoop had a lot to do with that. Baker was pretty good anyway but ... just saying he took it up another level with Shoop. Plus, you can't argue with the talent Baker had.

What pissed me off so much about Baker leaving was where he went, who he went to work for, and how it all went down. Can't stand that little sawed-off midget. Used to have some respect for him, but have lost it all now.

Also, I just think coaching continuity matters somewhat. In team sports, whether it's the players, coaches or whatever, team chemistry matters. And our D staff had good chemistry from what Shoop has said previously.

dawgday166
01-30-2019, 08:07 AM

We matched offers on all assistants we lost, and with Baker even exceeded what he was offered is my understanding.

While we need to pay them, I can understand Cohen not wanting to break the bank until someone has proven themselves somewhat ... since most anyone we get are either up-and-comers or have question marks on their resumes. Once they prove themselves, like Baker, then re-up their contract and make it a good one ... which is what I think Cohen did.

BrunswickDawg
01-30-2019, 08:33 AM
I'm trusting Shoop on this one. Sometimes folks need a different environment or something that rejuvenates them. Baker became a "great" DL coach with Shoop and I think Shoop had a lot to do with that. Baker was pretty good anyway but ... just saying he took it up another level with Shoop. Plus, you can't argue with the talent Baker had.

What pissed me off so much about Baker leaving was where he went, who he went to work for, and how it all went down. Can't stand that little sawed-off midget. Used to have some respect for him, but have lost it all now.

Also, I just think coaching continuity matters somewhat. In team sports, whether it's the players, coaches or whatever, team chemistry matters. And our D staff had good chemistry from what Shoop has said previously.

I kind of look at it like the Head Coach Rehab system Saban has going on at Bama with his off-field staff. Saban is out their pulling guys off the trash heap and using them for game planning, or coordinators left and right - and everyone calls him a genius. Almost all those guys were considered "great" at one point and flamed out at somewhere along the line. Sark is going thru a second time because he sucked so bad with the Falcons. We are just doing it with position level coaches. As long as we have continuity at the top, I think we will be ok.

dawgday166
01-30-2019, 08:45 AM
I kind of look at it like the Head Coach Rehab system Saban has going on at Bama with his off-field staff. Saban is out their pulling guys off the trash heap and using them for game planning, or coordinators left and right - and everyone calls him a genius. Almost all those guys were considered "great" at one point and flamed out at somewhere along the line. Sark is going thru a second time because he sucked so bad with the Falcons. We are just doing it with position level coaches. As long as we have continuity at the top, I think we will be ok.

I agree OC & DC are the main guys for continuity purposes. D staff isn't that important but I do believe continuity in O staff is a plus.

Saban is not a genius although he is very good on the D side of the ball. He's a good CEO type too from an organization/process standpoint, and very good recruiter. He has to have superior talent tho. If the playing field was level in all areas ... Saban would be better than average but not always at the top of the heap. He'd probably have 2 to 3 nattys instead of what he has. Game has evolved from his core philosophies on offense and that's a challenge to him. Far superior talent and SEC refs making a difference in 3 or so games a year where Bama is challenged from a talent/coaching standpoint is keeping him at the very top.

Ari Gold
01-30-2019, 08:55 AM

He played it with Baker and Huff..

KentuckyDawg13
01-30-2019, 08:59 AM
Do you mean the guy Memphis just hired earlier this month?
https://www.commercialappeal.com/story/sports/college/memphis-tigers/football/2019/01/03/memphis-football-deke-adams-hired-defensive-line-tigers-mike-norvell/2463247002/

https://twitter.com/CoachDekeAdams/status/1080868515928776706

Hambone
01-30-2019, 09:00 AM

That narrative also doesn’t hold true if the stories of what we offered Grantham are true.

Really Clark?
01-30-2019, 09:08 AM
That narrative also doesn’t hold true if the stories of what we offered Grantham are true.

It’s not a narrative. We offered to extend Huff through 2021 or 2022 and pay rise. We counter offered Baker even after the new contract extension with higher money than Bama originally offered.

bluelightstar
01-30-2019, 09:43 AM
USC and UNC fans think the guy's awful. USC and UNC have both been weak in the trenches under him, and this doesn't give me the warm and fuzzies. I hear he's a good recruiter, but you need people who can actually coach too.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
01-30-2019, 09:46 AM
It?s not a narrative. We offered to extend Huff through 2021 or 2022 and pay rise. We counter offered Baker even after the new contract extension with higher money than Bama originally offered.

This makes it even more depressing. They just did'nt want to be at MSU.

msstate7
01-30-2019, 09:58 AM

Rb coach - we have a glaring hole coming up at the position. Bama will have an endless supply of 5-stars. Probably a good time for huff to bolt to keep the hype up from Barkley.

Dl coach - we have some really good ends with major question marks on the inside. Again, he'll have nothing but elite talent at Bama. This season was probably the peak of baker's stock at state.

BhamDawg205
01-30-2019, 10:00 AM

That's why this maybe the one of better hire... 1st we get a guy who should be motivated to prove there nay sayers wrong. 2nd his ties to MS and the south. His ties here may keep him from looking for the next big job. This could lead to the continuity that has led to Clemson's success. I don't know if this hire will workout, but up and comers don't stay around long enough.

MrKotter
01-30-2019, 10:25 AM
Good grief. It?s a freaking DL coach. It doesn?t take much to send the majority of you on an overly emotional roller coaster does it?

bulldawg28
01-30-2019, 10:27 AM
He's produced All SEC lineman before so I'm good with it. It tells me if he has talent to work with he can perform. North Carolina Carolina had nothing.

Hambone
01-30-2019, 10:44 AM
It?s not a narrative.

That?s what I was pointing out. It?s not a narrative, just a lazy excuse for people that just don?t like Cohen

dawgday166
01-30-2019, 10:56 AM
That?s what I was pointing out. It?s not a narrative, just a lazy excuse for people that just don?t like Cohen

I get this from folks too and honestly, not sure why.

Cohen pissed me off a hundred times or so bunting in early innings after a leadoff double or some crap like that, but as an AD ... not saying he's great but don't know that he's bad. The verdict is still out ... he's only been AD about a little less than 2 years or so I think. There's a chance we won't know that Joe was a good hire or not for 2 or 3 more years. Lemonis now ... baseball isn't the same as football so he should produce a solid team this year IMO. And ... Cohen didn't hire Howland and I'm still not totally giving up on Howland yet. With Cann ... lots of guys can get screwed up in the head in those types of situations. Many other powerful or highly regarded men have fallen in similar circumstances.

maroonmania
01-30-2019, 11:20 AM
Just curious, was Adams Clowney's coach in college? If so, that is nice on the resume.

Cooterpoot
01-30-2019, 11:30 AM
Just curious, was Adams Clowney's coach in college? If so, that is nice on the resume.

For 1 season.

dawgday166
01-30-2019, 12:18 PM
For 1 season.

Which season cause Clowney was better the year before his last year. His last year he wasn't as dominant as he had been and took plays off a good bit too.

Really Clark?
01-30-2019, 12:34 PM
Which season cause Clowney was better the year before his last year. His last year he wasn't as dominant as he had been and took plays off a good bit too.

Deke’s first year was Clowney’s last. I have to give Brad Lawing credit for Clowney’s development, his prior coach at USCe

Cooterpoot
01-30-2019, 12:48 PM
Adams isn’t a great coach. He’s a Trooper Taylor.

BeastMan
01-30-2019, 01:15 PM
I brought his name to this board in 2016. Good coach

https://i.postimg.cc/HxTS2fLx/85-AC9378-A6-B5-445-A-A94-F-E272-A3-B50-F1-A.png

Tbonewannabe
01-30-2019, 02:22 PM

Just reading over it and Deke coached up Clowney and Quarles in his 3 years. SCe had a pretty good Dline while he was there.

Tbonewannabe
01-30-2019, 02:26 PM

It has been mentioned that we offered Baker more than Bama to stay but he still left. Shoop was the 15th highest DC before his new extension. Moorhead is taking a pay cut so he has more resources.

Really Clark?
01-30-2019, 02:29 PM
Just reading over it and Deke coached up Clowney and Quarles in his 3 years. SCe had a pretty good Dline while he was there.

He only coached Clowney and Quarles their last year and he was injured and not as productive his final year. Quarles did make second team All American. But they were developed by Lawing. And talented of course

the_real_MSU_is_us
01-30-2019, 03:31 PM
Grantham went from UGA to Louisville where he had pretty decent defenses (top 35)... that's very different than SC to 2 years in FCS, 1 at a bad P5, and then accepting a job at a G5. Comparing those 2 paths to State doesn't make much sense to me.

Similarly Baker was in HS when we got him, but he hadn't had the chance to prove himself in the SEC. Once he got one he capitalized and gained enough respect to get the Bama job. Deke spent 3 years in the SEC- if he was an above average SEC DL coach why did it take 4 years after SC to get another SEC job offer?

Of course all of y'all are all still right, this could end up being a great hire. There's no doubt good coaches can be overlooked. It's just we only have 2 explanations: 1) He's not an SEC level coach and everyone but us knows it, or 2) He's a good coach and nobody but us knows. Of course nobody but us thought Shoop or Grantham was an SEC level DC, so 2) certainly isn't out of the question. I'll just stay neutral on him till we get on field results

maroonmania
01-30-2019, 03:45 PM
Grantham went from UGA to Louisville where he had pretty decent defenses (top 35)... that's very different than SC to 2 years in FCS, 1 at a bad P5, and then accepting a job at a G5. Comparing those 2 paths to State doesn't make much sense to me.

Similarly Baker was in HS when we got him, but he hadn't had the chance to prove himself in the SEC. Once he got one he capitalized and gained enough respect to get the Bama job. Deke spent 3 years in the SEC- if he was an above average SEC DL coach why did it take 4 years after SC to get another SEC job offer?

Of course all of y'all are all still right, this could end up being a great hire. There's no doubt good coaches can be overlooked. It's just we only have 2 explanations: 1) He's not an SEC level coach and everyone but us knows it, or 2) He's a good coach and nobody but us knows. Of course nobody but us thought Shoop or Grantham was an SEC level DC, so 2) certainly isn't out of the question. I'll just stay neutral on him till we get on field results
East Carolina is G5 not FCS. They play in the same conference with USM.

Tbonewannabe
01-30-2019, 03:46 PM
So you think Spurrier is a "loser coach"?

I believe he forgot the *****

Dawg-gone-dawgs
01-30-2019, 04:46 PM
Good grief. It?s a freaking DL coach. It doesn?t take much to send the majority of you on an overly emotional roller coaster does it?

hahaha oh my. Please slow your emotional roller coaster down sir.

Tbonewannabe
01-30-2019, 05:11 PM
He only coached Clowney and Quarles their last year and he was injured and not as productive his final year. Quarles did make second team All American. But they were developed by Lawing. And talented of course

Clowney was also just trying to make it through the year healthy to get his payday. He halfassed it that entire year.

bulldawg28
01-30-2019, 06:12 PM
Clowney was also just trying to make it through the year healthy to get his payday. He halfassed it that entire year.

Agreed, it had nothing to do with coaching unless you blame the DC and head coach for keeping him in the game. No DL coach has the authority to pull an All American.

BrunswickDawg
01-30-2019, 06:31 PM

I don't think any of us know enough about the guy to judge his career path post USC. What if he had family considerations that made staying in the Carolinas more important than the profile of the job?

I know a D1 position coach who after losing a HC gig has made all his career choices about his family and not his career path.

ScoobaDawg
01-30-2019, 07:42 PM

That wouldn't fit the Cohen sucks theme though. Damn facts....

Turfdawg67
01-30-2019, 08:05 PM
I brought his name to this board in 2016. Good coach

https://i.postimg.cc/HxTS2fLx/85-AC9378-A6-B5-445-A-A94-F-E272-A3-B50-F1-A.png

LOL... just goes back to the discussion about naming 3-4 DL in the whole NCAA. Just hire an experienced DL guy that can recruit!

CovertDawg
01-31-2019, 04:47 PM
Random note..Deke's son was a first rounder in the MLB draft out of high school last year. He signed with the Angels for 4.1 million.

msudawglb
01-31-2019, 04:53 PM
Random note..Deke's son was a first rounder in the MLB draft out of high school last year. He signed with the Angels for 4.1 million.

So you're saying North Carolina just happen to not retain Deke after his son skipped college for the Angels? Hmm....

Homedawg
01-31-2019, 04:56 PM

You are going to go down dying trying to convince everyone that JC is temp 2, it's just not even close to accurate. not close.

Cooterpoot
01-31-2019, 05:43 PM
Deke been here a day and already got Moore back in the boat.***

CadaverDawg
01-31-2019, 05:50 PM
Deke been here a day and already got Moore back in the boat.***

Losing Lockhart and Gaining Moore in one day...."Fire His Ass" and then "Rehire his Ass"**