PDA

View Full Version : Random thoughts, gripes, and predictions on a 'potentially' snowy night...

DeviousDawg
01-29-2019, 02:15 AM
As I sit here gazing out into the rain, waiting for it to resist the urge to melt -- just as many of you should do -- I realize that life as a Mississippi State fan is like a weather geek waiting for a blizzard in Mississippi. The Blizzard you look for will never happen. Pray for reasons for it to not melt. Appreciate the 1-2 inch snow storms, they don't come often around here, and relish in the semi-decadal 3-5 inch storms.. Don't sit inside glued to your computer models, hoping for 5-8 inches, get outside and enjoy whatever it is out there. Because here in Mississippi, it always melts. Listen up...

-First and foremost, if you do not understand why Brian Baker left for Alabama, then you do not understand ambition. We as MSU fans feel like all coaches should be loyal to our school, and attack their character when they leave at what is an untimely time to us as fans. What if Saban told Baker no deal if you don't accept it before signing day, what would you do? Preserve your honor for a bunch of fans who you have no loyalty to outside of a contract? or would you take the raise, and put yourself in a better position to climb the cutthroat mountain that is the coaching ladder? If we have anyone to curse here it's Saban, the guy sucks, but then again, why should he care about what is honorable to us? It's time to get up and stop licking the wounds. It is what it is. Sure, we lost a recruit or two, and two good coaches, but we will get another recruit or two, and another two coaches and life will go on. If anything we know that Joe Mo knows how to recognize talent, and that usually translates to recognizing recruiting talent too. We gotta give this guy a chance to build his program.

-In the last 5 years we are 11-4 combined against A&M, Auburn, and Arkansas. We are 15-10 against the SEC West minus Bama. Two losses that should have been wins against Ole Miss in '14 and '17 if we hadn't had such an ambitious HC, and two 3 point losses to LSU in '15 and '16. Switch the results of those 4 games and we are 19-6 against the rest of the West. We are close to changing our perception. It's not there, as is evident in recruiting, but it also evident that it is changing. Perceptions change over decades, not years. We're getting there. Speaking of recruiting, I think we close strong. Got a hunch.

-We have a huge 2 game stretch coming up in MBB, two winnable away games, that could turn a good season into a great one. We win those two and bring home a team that has won 5 of last 6 for a 3-game home stretch that starts against two top 20 teams in LSU and Kentucky.. The Hump will be back for good, gotta win the two away games.. We are too talented of a team to settle for a split. We are a veteran team, it's time to nut up and win some winnable, but respectable, away games. This team has the talent and the streaky ability to make something happen, should be a fun ride, just remember, it will melt, so just enjoy it.

-It's obvious that our WBB team will compete for another national championship. Vic is already statue worthy, unreal what he has done, and what he built it from, nothing. I miss Bibby, but I like the UConn transfer Espinoza-Hunter. It's a push. It's just a matter of time before Vic breaks the curse.

-It's almost February, which means three things:

(1) money month in Basketball, its the month that will define the season. Do we do just enough, or do we live up to our potential and put it all together. We are so used to sucking that we have a hard time accepting that this team can compete with anyone when we are clicking and making shots, and I mean anyone.

(2) Signing Day: Moorehead needs to make a splash, Ealy and Mingo should do it. Gotta get those two at all costs, because whether I like to admit it or not, or little brothers in time out up North know better than anyone, perception is more than just for pride... It can change a program, it is very important, especially in a day of age where social media is more of a reality than reality to most, especially the kids that we need to sign to further change the perception. Two 5 stars in one class to add to 9 straight bowl games will go a long way in helping to change that perception, continuing to win, and eventually taking the next step, will do the rest.

(3) BASEBALL madre17ers.. I am so big on this team, I love the roster, I love the depth full of rooks and vets, I love the potential of the backside of the pen, I love the potential of the starting rotation, I love the power potential of our lineup from top to bottom, I love the youthful experience all over the field, I love the leadership, I don't know the coach. This team is a title contender. We will see how it plays out but this team has me more excited on paper than ever before. Prediction: National Champs.

Bonus: Look at our brethren up North. They think that they won, but did they? They look defeated to me. They have had 3 bowless seasons in a row, they have a dufus head coach, an idiot Athleticdirector/chancellor/presidentofathletics/guardianofthebelt. They have a football roster full of G5 players. They have a shitty team, and boy do they deserve it. Most of all they have a restless, star crazed, and short memoried/results now fan base. They will bite the forbidden apple again, and once again, we can't put up with their shit when that time comes. We didn't get what we wanted at the time, a beheading, but sometimes a slow painful death is more entertaining. However, the South will rise again(or atleast try), just as the snow will melt. Appreciate where things are right now, and do everything you can do as an individual to prolong this snow day.

One more thing, nothing is more pathetic than a woe is me MSU fan, get the 17 over whatever it is you feel sorry for yourself about, or at the least keep it to yourself. Now, carry on, and resist the urge to melt.

chef dixon
01-29-2019, 06:25 AM
Hail damn state!!!!

msbulldog
01-29-2019, 07:09 AM
Hell Yeah DDawg, great post, nice to hear that kind of talk instead of the crying that goes on too much!

DownwardDawg
01-29-2019, 07:37 AM
I love this post. Outstanding!

BiscuitEater
01-29-2019, 10:07 AM
BASEBALL madre17ers.. I am so big on this team, I love the roster, I love the depth full of rooks and vets, I love the potential of the backside of the pen, I love the potential of the starting rotation, I love the power potential of our lineup from top to bottom, I love the youthful experience all over the field, I love the leadership, I don't know the coach. This team is a title contender. We will see how it plays out but this team has me more excited on paper than ever before. Prediction: National Champs.

Looking forward to one more year of Jake 'the mayor' Mangum. Yes, he's missed some throws over the years but man, I love how he plays the game. To me .. He IS MSU Baseball.

Commercecomet24
01-29-2019, 10:18 AM
Dang Devious, that was awesome! Great post, agree completely! Post more!

DeviousDawg
01-29-2019, 10:19 AM
Looking forward to one more year of Jake 'the mayor' Mangum. Yes, he's missed some throws over the years but man, I love how he plays the game. To me .. He IS MSU Baseball.

Yeah, he is coming up on his 4th coach in 4 years. He does it for MSU in a way that not many else can claim. It seems as if he has a destiny to fill. I believe before it's over they may have to make room for a third statue. I know Rooker was triple crown but Mangum's impact on this program vastly overshadows that of Rooker's. He showed signs late last season and this fall/spring of a little more pop in his bat. I hope he can hit 7 or 8 HR this year so he will make coming back for his senior year financially worth it. He may be my favorite MSU player regardless of sport, regardless of age. He has left his legacy, no doubt, he's not done yet either.

Commercecomet24
01-29-2019, 10:21 AM
Yeah, he is coming up on his 4th coach in 4 years. He does it for MSU in a way that not many else can claim. It seems as if he has a destiny to fill. I believe before it's over they may have to make room for a third statue. I know Rooker was triple crown but Mangum's impact on this program can't even be compared to that of Rooker. He showed signs late last season and this fall/spring of a little more pop in his bat. I hope he can hit 7 or 8 HR this year so he will make coming back for his senior year financially worth it He may be my favorite MSU player regardless of sport, regardless of age. He has left his legacy, no doubt, he's not done yet either.

Jake is one of my favorites of all time and becoming MSU legend. Jake had a big role in getting Ginn to State. Kid is all Dawg! Thankful Jake chose State!

Political Hack
01-29-2019, 11:31 AM
About time you came back around.

WinningIsRelentless
01-29-2019, 11:40 AM
Instead of buying you a case of beer for that I want to buy you a keg.

basedog
01-29-2019, 11:44 AM
Instead of buying you a case of beer for that I want to buy you a keg.

Forget that, my wife bought way to much bread and milk waiting on snow/ice, come get a truck load DeviousDawg****

sleepy dawg
01-29-2019, 11:57 AM
Great post from the best poster on the site.

Cooterpoot
01-29-2019, 12:01 PM
Only disagreement is Baker isn't going to Bama improve his career. He's going to retire in the next couple of years and go into the ministry. But, he signed a contract this past week with us, then lied about the Bama job. I think it's pretty damn fair to attack his character.

BuckyIsAB****
01-29-2019, 03:14 PM
I for one cannot wait to be in the Dude. Best time of the year is coming, march madness, baseball, turkeys are gobbling and the fish are biting. Hail State

I seen it dawg
01-29-2019, 03:22 PM
Good thread

Ari Gold
01-29-2019, 04:19 PM
The 2019 State of the Union address.
****ing outstanding

ScoobaDawg
01-29-2019, 04:25 PM
Did someone just say we might win 2 national championships in the next 6 months????
https://media.giphy.com/media/AhvuCFIMkgAxO/giphy.gif

BrunswickDawg
01-29-2019, 04:28 PM
Did someone just say we might win 2 national championships in the next 6 months????
https://media.giphy.com/media/AhvuCFIMkgAxO/giphy.gif

Why are people forgetting our Disc Golf National Title last Spring??? We dominated. https://www.pdga.com/tour/event/33931

ScoobaDawg
01-29-2019, 04:53 PM
Why are people forgetting our Disc Golf National Title last Spring??? We dominated. https://www.pdga.com/tour/event/33931

Whhhhaaaatttt!!! We are gonna be the Champions in everything this year that matters to us!!!!

msu15
01-29-2019, 04:57 PM
One more thing, nothing is more pathetic than a woe is me MSU fan, get the 17 over whatever it is you feel sorry for yourself about, or at the least keep it to yourself. Now, carry on, and resist the urge to melt.

We have a few on this board that need to take a long look at this sentence.

Turfdawg67
01-29-2019, 04:59 PM
Funny the naysayers are so quiet. Hell, 7 never met a thread he didn't like... 6-7 times. Great post DD!

msstate7
01-29-2019, 05:07 PM
Funny the naysayers are so quiet. Hell, 7 never met a thread he didn't like... 6-7 times. Great post DD!

https://i.postimg.cc/sDVDnPn5/DE14-B5-E7-6350-4-D02-9533-888-BCFA0-CDBD.jpg (https://postimages.org/)