PDA

View Full Version : So when you say miss state will never compete for a natty in football

Sparrows2
01-28-2019, 10:15 PM
I assume you are being a troll, because you cant possibly be that willfully ignorant.
Let us not quibble, lets go to a group of unbiased experts.
I nominate the college football selection committee.
Who was their first ever in history number 1 team?
Why Miss state
Well how long was that? 5 weeks?
Yeah but how many teams have EVER been ranked no.1 by these experts. Only a handful?
Yeah but how much was MSU spending on football when it got to be ranked by these experts, will it ever be able to do that again. Only every year:

Jack Lambert
01-28-2019, 10:19 PM
It will be tough as long as the SEC keeps sucking Alabama and Saban tiny dicks.

Sparrows2
01-28-2019, 10:47 PM
Dont whine
Appreciate the opportunity
Everyone in the SEC west has a standing invite to the CFP
Beat Saban and you are in and every other year you get to play him at home. Just don’t screw up and lose to two other teams.
So being in the same division has its disadvantages and advantages. Winners focus on opportunities not whinning

Homedawg
01-28-2019, 10:57 PM
So everyone who says otherwise is a troll? Your post is trolling. We have an opportunity once ever blue moon, that one was missed. This year was a clear case that a second shot is far fetched any time soon. Odds say, statistically, we return to the bottom of the league sooner then the top. To say otherwise is maroon glasses. And I'm aware all of genes page will let me know how poor ole miss state i am. But it's true.

Sparrows2
01-28-2019, 11:23 PM
What odds? What statistics?
The number of recent starters we have put in the NFL?
The fact we can afford to pay a coach who succeeds over $4m a year.
The fact we have a starting QB at the premier sports franchise in the world?
The fact we have a better reputation than when we recruited the players who got to no. 1?
Or is it you are one of those miserable people who the glass is always 20% empty.
And whine about it’s not fair and wait till someone gives them their fair share?

Dawg61
01-28-2019, 11:47 PM
The fact we have a better reputation than when we recruited the players who got to no. 1?
Or is it you are one of those miserable people who the glass is always 20% empty.
And whine about it’s not fair and wait till someone gives them their fair share?

Sparrows2 post more often. Homedawg post less often.

Bothrops
01-28-2019, 11:59 PM
I stated on here about 4 years ago that MSU was most likely to win a National Championship in WB, more than in any other sport. I got a little flack for it, but I was almost right, twice. There's only a handful of big ti me coaches and those handful of programs will get nearly all the top talent. We are an elite program as long as we have Vic as coach. Baseball would be next for State.

Football is a different planet for us. There are too many D1 programs that are similar and kept down by blue blood money and influence. If could win all the games we're capable of winning, I'd be satisfied.

RougeDawg
01-29-2019, 07:42 AM
I stated on here about 4 years ago that MSU was most likely to win a National Championship in WB, more than in any other sport. I got a little flack for it, but I was almost right, twice. There's only a handful of big ti me coaches and those handful of programs will get nearly all the top talent. We are an elite program as long as we have Vic as coach. Baseball would be next for State.

Football is a different planet for us. There are too many D1 programs that are similar and kept down by blue blood money and influence. If could win all the games we're capable of winning, I'd be satisfied.

So you are saying we should have been 11-2 at worst in 2018? Favored in around 11 of the games we played and. Bama game should have been a one possession battle headed into 4th quarter. We were capable of winning every game with even officiating and a few more catches, so 15-0 would have done the trick.

Dawgology
01-29-2019, 07:59 AM
I assume you are being a troll, because you cant possibly be that willfully ignorant.
Why Miss state
Yeah but how many teams have EVER been ranked no.1 by these experts. Only a handful?
Yeah but how much was MSU spending on football when it got to be ranked by these experts, will it ever be able to do that again. Only every year:

No program competes for the NC every year. That's just silly. If you go in to next year expecting an NC you are going to be in for a brutal, frustrating season. There is a widening margin between the "haves" and the "have nots" in college football. As this margin grows you will see fewer and fewer teams being able to compete at the level required to win an NC. We are already seeing it but it will get worse as long as the current economics hold in college sports. I'm a firm believer that within 10-15 years the college football divisional landscape will look completely different. It will almost have to in order to survive.

Matty Dispatch
01-29-2019, 08:16 AM
MSU will have a chance when they expand the playoff. MSU fans and the other 120 schools who aren't Bama, Clemson, Oklahoma, Georgia, Ohio State and a few others should be clamoring to expand the playoff. Get to 16 teams and all of the sudden you go into nearly every football season believing there's a shot State can make it in, and from there you at least have a chance. Right now you have to beat Bama. And if you do then Georgia is waiting for you in Atlanta. The last first time college football national champion was Florida State in 1993. Steep, steep hill to climb in the current structure - better than it's ever been for MSU - but next to impossible until the playoff is expanded.

Coursesuper
01-29-2019, 08:23 AM
No program competes for the NC every year. That's just silly. If you go in to next year expecting an NC you are going to be in for a brutal, frustrating season. There is a widening margin between the "haves" and the "have nots" in college football. As this margin grows you will see fewer and fewer teams being able to compete at the level required to win an NC. We are already seeing it but it will get worse as long as the current economics hold in college sports. I'm a firm believer that within 10-15 years the college football divisional landscape will look completely different. It will almost have to in order to survive.

This is exactly correct, there is gulf growing between the have and have nots. It’s about to get sticky for us and whole bunch of other universities. Hard choices are going to have to be made.

DeviousDawg
01-29-2019, 08:34 AM
There's always a chance. Would probably have to be an odd year, get Bama, LSU and Ole Miss at home. Win those 3 home games, then beat A&M, whom we have beaten 4 out of the last 5, Arkansas, whom we have beaten 5 out of the last 6 and Auburn whom we have beaten 4 out of the last 7. Then you have to just win one of the two East games to assure we have the tiebreaker against any SECW team, but you'd probably just be better off winning both, but you wouldn't HAVE to. Then win the SEC Championship game, then win two more against national powerhouses. Seems simple enough.

Baseball and WBB will both have one by 2025.

smootness
01-29-2019, 08:49 AM

You don't seem to realize this all goes against your point. All of these things are true, and we still have only sniffed it once. No one has said we can't win a national title, that's a straw man. But it is an incredibly steep hill to climb. That's just a fact.

Dawg61
01-29-2019, 10:29 AM
You don't seem to realize this all goes against your point. All of these things are true, and we still have only sniffed it once. No one has said we can't win a national title, that's a straw man. But it is an incredibly steep hill to climb. That's just a fact.

We've been steadily climbing that steep hill since 2009. We're much closer to it (with still miles to go) today than we were a decade ago. Best advice for the frustrated is to focus more on how far we've come instead of how impossible it seems to be to win one.

Commercecomet24
01-29-2019, 10:31 AM
We've been steadily climbing that steep hill since 2009. We're much closer to it (with still miles to go) today than we were a decade ago. Best advice for the frustrated is to focus more on how far we've come instead of how impossible it seems to be to win one.

Well said! Have some rep!

Dawgology
01-29-2019, 10:40 AM

True. But I think we have kind of hit a plateau and it's going to take something HUGE to break into that top tier of college football programs. Not many programs do....in fact, only about 15 or so have pulled it off and that is rarified air. I think we should focus on making 8 wins the FLOOR for our program. That needs to happen for at least a decade before we are able to pull off that next big jump. We've been able to do that 6 out of the last 10 years (which is good) but we need to get where 8 wins is a "given" and then work up from there.

dawgday166
01-29-2019, 10:50 AM
It will be tough as long as the SEC keeps sucking Alabama and Saban tiny dicks.

Seems to me like you nailed it Jack.

Political Hack
01-29-2019, 11:28 AM
Why Miss state

In the CFP bowl show when Cam was playing for the natty, one of the broadcasters asked the group "Had Cam went to Miss State, who would be playing for the national championship?". Every one of them agreed State had a better supporting cast that year and would've been playing for it. It's only opinions, but they all agreed.

We've always been a few plays away from competing with Bama. You do that and you can win it all. We just don't close like other SEC schools in recruiting. Fix that and we have a chance.

Ari Gold
01-29-2019, 12:10 PM
To say we can never compete for a championship is just being ignorant
Saying we can compete for a championship on a regular basis is just as ignorant..

Dawg61
01-29-2019, 12:25 PM
In the CFP bowl show when Cam was playing for the natty, one of the broadcasters asked the group "Had Cam went to Miss State, who would be playing for the national championship?". Every one of them agreed State had a better supporting cast that year and would've been playing for it. It's only opinions, but they all agreed.

We've always been a few plays away from competing with Bama. You do that and you can win it all. We just don't close like other SEC schools in recruiting. Fix that and we have a chance.

2014 team was good enough to win it. Some player/coach chemistry issues and under-performing in the Bama/Ole Miss games kept us from it.

Tbonewannabe
01-29-2019, 01:21 PM

To be fair, if the refs call ND for tackling Morgan then we probably win with her shooting free throws to go up by 4 or at least have overtime. I have never seen 2 halves called so differently in a basketball game. We were destroying ND in the first half then in the 2nd half, everything was a foul.

Tbonewannabe
01-29-2019, 01:23 PM

Most of the time, we have been a QB away. In 2014, we were Mullen not shitting the bed while looking for another job away.

HancockCountyDog
01-29-2019, 01:30 PM
I'm not sure why anyone would post anything like this a week before signing day, unless their intent was to sabotage recruiting.

We are 4 years from having a team that could have played in the playoffs. This year's team was very close to being 10-2 while in the SEC West with Bama. I refuse to accept what y'all are posting, and I'm not sure why it is being posted to be honest.

TUSK
01-29-2019, 01:43 PM
I'm not sure why anyone would post anything like this a week before signing day, unless their intent was to sabotage recruiting.

We are 4 years from having a team that could have played in the playoffs. This year's team was very close to being 10-2 while in the SEC West with Bama. I refuse to accept what y'all are posting, and I'm not sure why it is being posted to be honest.

It's the new, hot, societal trend of "I'm a victim"... I honestly never thought it'd sneak into sports as much as it has, though...

Coursesuper
01-29-2019, 02:10 PM
It's the new, hot, societal trend of "I'm a victim"... I honestly never thought it'd sneak into sports as much as it has, though...

It’s really easy for a Bammer to have your attitude. The other side of the fence isn’t the same.

Dawg61
01-29-2019, 02:13 PM

Isn't the left making these posts. Pay attention better boss.

TUSK
01-29-2019, 02:21 PM
Isn't the left making these posts.

oh, I agree 100%, that's what makes the whole thing so paradoxical and interesting...

Dawg61
01-29-2019, 03:14 PM
oh, I agree 100%, that's what makes the whole thing so paradoxical and interesting...

https://camo.githubusercontent.com/09376560942ff18a058c34314b9bb328948a915e/687474703a2f2f692e696d6775722e636f6d2f425972773275 612e676966