PDA

View Full Version : Just a little info from the Coach himself this morning....

basedog
01-28-2019, 02:43 PM
I ain't gonna go into everything but I spoke with JoMo this morning with a friend who reads ED but doesn't post.

1) What a genuine straight up man he is, he has confidence we will win and his offense will be good when he gets his kind of players installed. Said you have to be able to throw the ball and catch to win, you could tell reading between what we need.

2) I ask about Baker and Huff, was he surprised. No on Huff as his goal is to be a HC and I can't fault him wanting Saban on his resume. Coach stated he had hours of talk with Huff about his decision and he is ok with Huff, they are friends. So he knew what was going on in this situation. He did say Saban never called which most Coaches do and JoMo said he would and always will call asking to speak to an assistant. Yes he was blindsided about Baker, had no idea Baker had talked to Saban, said Saban does what he wants and gets away with it. Enough about that except he did say he has a few in mind and would be announcing shortly. Thinks a rule should apply for coaches changing jobs in the middle of recruiting say March 1 they can change.

3) Was fired up about new receiver Coach, raved about his value and what he brings to the table with a lot of Nfl experience.

4) Last thing I will say, Pickering told him this morning he was signing with Msu on signing day.

I would say more but the naysayers wouldn't see the sunshine enough to understand. What a bunch of idiots for fans thinking one year and fire a coach without giving one time!

He did have a couple of recruits and a Dad he was chatting with over breakfast.

The sun is shining and it's great to be a Missisippi State graduate and fan.

Commercecomet24
01-28-2019, 02:49 PM
Thanks for bringing that info, Basedog! Appreciate it! Good stuff! I know for a fact that Pickering is not happy at all about Baker. I know it's coachspeak but he told Nathan and Byron both last Thursday that he would only leave State for the NFL. Nathan didn't take kindly to that coachspeak.

NotCoJoMo
01-28-2019, 02:53 PM
Thanks for that, Basedog. Despite all this junk going on, I still can't help but think it's only a matter of time before Moorhead gets this thing rolling.

ShotgunDawg
01-28-2019, 02:54 PM
So yeah, this settles it: Saban is a certified piece of shit that is bad for this conference.

Wish someone would check his ass. He's as unethical as it gets and I doubt any other coach would piss on him to stop him from burning if something were to happen.

But hey, he's got some natty rings. That isn't worth being a piece of shit human IMO

When you see a lack of ethics in an industry look no further than the type of people the leaders in that industry are and what young coaches emulate

msstate7
01-28-2019, 02:56 PM
So yeah, this settles it: Saban is a certified piece of shit that is bad for this conference.

Wish someone would check his ass. He's as unethical as it gets and I doubt any other coach would piss on him to stop him from burning if something were to happen.

But hey, he's got some natty rings. That isn't worth being a piece of shit human IMO

Who cares if saban calls or not? "Hey joe, I'm gonna take this and this assistant of yours." Would this make it better?

ShotgunDawg
01-28-2019, 02:58 PM
Who cares if saban calls or not? "Hey joe, I'm gonna take this and this assistant of yours." Would this make it better?

Because it's respectful and the right thing to do.

msstate7
01-28-2019, 03:02 PM
Because it's respectful and the right thing to do.

I just don't care about that. If we flip mingo today, I don't think joe should call Luke. I look at taking coaches the same as players.

drummerdawg
01-28-2019, 03:08 PM

It gives the coaches a heads up so they can be semi prepared. Most coaches do this as they should

msstate7
01-28-2019, 03:12 PM
It gives the coaches a heads up so they can be semi prepared. Most coaches do this as they should

Do coaches call to let another coach a player is flipping on signing day to be prepared?

ETA.. imo it's baker that should give the heads up, not saban

Pit Bull
01-28-2019, 03:25 PM
I ain't gonna go into everything but I spoke with JoMo this morning with a friend who reads ED but doesn't post.

1) What a genuine straight up man he is, he has confidence we will win and his offense will be good when he gets his kind of players installed. Said you have to be able to throw the ball and catch to win, you could tell reading between what we need.

2) I ask about Baker and Huff, was he surprised. No on Huff as his goal is to be a HC and I can't fault him wanting Saban on his resume. Coach stated he had hours of talk with Huff about his decision and he is ok with Huff, they are friends. So he knew what was going on in this situation. He did say Saban never called which most Coaches do and JoMo said he would and always will call asking to speak to an assistant. Yes he was blindsided about Baker, had no idea Baker had talked to Saban, said Saban does what he wants and gets away with it. Enough about that except he did say he has a few in mind and would be announcing shortly. Thinks a rule should apply for coaches changing jobs in the middle of recruiting say March 1 they can change.

3) Was fired up about new receiver Coach, raved about his value and what he brings to the table with a lot of Nfl experience.

4) Last thing I will say, Pickering told him this morning he was signing with Msu on signing day.

I would say more but the naysayers wouldn't see the sunshine enough to understand. What a bunch of idiots for fans thinking one year and fire a coach without giving one time!

I spoke with my priest this morning and he pretty much said the same.

Irondawg
01-28-2019, 03:26 PM
Do coaches call to let another coach a player is flipping on signing day to be prepared?

you're reaching here with the recruits flipping angle b/c recruits lie all the time. You don't know what they are going to actually do until they sign. The coaching thing is a long-held common courtesy in the industry. It's not a rule so Saban isn't doing anything wrong per se but it's not basically frowned upon. I do agree that Baker has some responsibility as well potentially. I'm not in the circle so i don't know what all the common courtesy rules are.

confucius say
01-28-2019, 03:47 PM
I just don't care about that. If we flip mingo today, I don't think joe should call Luke. I look at taking coaches the same as players.

If you mean players who have already signed (or whose parents have signed for them), then yes. I see the similarities. And there is a process for that. Coaches use to have seek permission to speak with players, now there is the transfer portal.

But if you are talking about recruits, then I don't see the correlation there. Recruits aren't under contract and don't already play for somebody.

Bothrops
01-28-2019, 04:04 PM
I look at taking coaches the same as players.

It's not. Coaching is a profession, recruiting is a job duty. Some ethical protocol should apply to dealings between staff members of different programs. Saban is a piece of garbage that would allow the demise of his own people to keep his nose clean.

MrKotter
01-28-2019, 04:19 PM
It?s called professional courtesy. Not surprised you don?t understand.

dawgday166
01-28-2019, 04:21 PM
If you mean players who have already signed (or whose parents have signed for them), then yes. I see the similarities. And there is a process for that. Coaches use to have seek permission to speak with players, now there is the transfer portal.

But if you are talking about recruits, then I don't see the correlation there. Recruits aren't under contract and don't already play for somebody.

There's not a correlation. 7 arguing to argue on this one.

preachermatt83
01-28-2019, 04:32 PM
Great info base.

msstate7
01-28-2019, 04:34 PM
I just think this board looks for reasons to cry about saban. Most here will take this unsubstantiated rumor and run with it.

Homedawg
01-28-2019, 04:40 PM

It's just common to call and ask for permission. I was told he did for Huff, but didn't for Johnson or BAker. Maybe, he didn't for any of them, but Huff just was honest about it.

Homedawg
01-28-2019, 04:41 PM

totally different. Hell, Half the time the kid is lying to everyone anyway.

basedog
01-28-2019, 04:42 PM
Great info base.

Thanks preacher, wish you and a few others would have been with me, he was straight up and we or fans need more good guys like him. He said much more but I didn't want to keep pounding him with questions or get to personal but he has the correct confidence in what he wants to do. No doubt he wants to win, btw his assistant with him had to pull him away from our table as I'm sure they had many to see. He thinks he has a great staff and said we must be a concern with Saban picking two recruits so at least JoMo can get good assistants.

Btw to all, he talked about the staff he was on at Penn State, pretty interesting stuff. He has coaches on his list as he knows assistants come and go. Dude is well organized regardless what a few on ED seen to think or know (or not know).

Homedawg
01-28-2019, 04:46 PM
I just think this board looks for reasons to cry about saban. Most here will take this unsubstantiated rumor and run with it.

And I'm not crying about Saban, he did what he had to do, which is look out for Bama and Nick Saban, Nothing else matters. But he could have be more professional about it. Again, there isn't an uproar about us stealing another coach when he was employed elsewhere, double standard

msstate7
01-28-2019, 04:49 PM
And I'm not crying about Saban, he did what he had to do, which is look out for Bama and Nick Saban, Nothing else matters. But he could have be more professional about it. Again, there isn't an uproar about us stealing another coach when he was employed elsewhere, double standard

If we decide we want Brick Haley and hire him tonight, I don't care if Moorhead calls Barry Odom up or not. Maybe I'm just unprofessional or whatever, but I think Brick would owe Odom the explanation, not joe

Lord McBuckethead
01-28-2019, 04:52 PM

Coaches have already entered into a contract. Different situation. I say make Alabama pay the contract in full because Baker is now in Breach, I would imagine.

msstate7
01-28-2019, 04:55 PM
Coaches have already entered into a contract. Different situation. I say make Alabama pay the contract in full because Baker is now in Breach, I would imagine.

Yeah, no one agrees with my analogy. Probably safe to say, not a good one haha

basedog
01-28-2019, 05:33 PM
Saban didn't call and ask to talk or interview with either. From what I understand Huff told Coach and they discussed it in length. Not so much with Baker, Coach had no clue.

I do think Coach has moved on and understands more about the Sec and what goes on more now.

It's always a learning curve the first year especially in the Sec.

DownwardDawg
01-28-2019, 05:35 PM

You just LOVE to argue don't you?

msstate7
01-28-2019, 05:37 PM
You just LOVE to argue don't you?

Maybe

Turfdawg67
01-28-2019, 05:39 PM
you're reaching here with the recruits flipping angle b/c recruits lie all the time. You don't know what they are going to actually do until they sign. The coaching thing is a long-held common courtesy in the industry. It's not a rule so Saban isn't doing anything wrong per se but it's not basically frowned upon. I do agree that Baker has some responsibility as well potentially. I'm not in the circle so i don't know what all the common courtesy rules are.

Dude has 50,000 posts... of course he's reaching. He lives to post and gets a semi when someone engages him, so he can post more.

Turfdawg67
01-28-2019, 05:47 PM
Thanks for bringing that info, Basedog! Appreciate it! Good stuff! I know for a fact that Pickering is not happy at all about Baker. I know it's coachspeak but he told Nathan and Byron both last Thursday that he would only leave State for the NFL. Nathan didn't take kindly to that coachspeak.

So are you saying he's pissed off at the Baker situation and that he's not at State anymore or is he pissed at Baker for lying to him? What's Byron thinking?

Political Hack
01-28-2019, 06:22 PM
How'd this thread turn into an argument?

Good stuff Base. Thanks for posting.

Leeshouldveflanked
01-28-2019, 06:27 PM
Bama probably spends more in Little Debbie Oatmeal Pies than Bakers Contract!

MarketingBully
01-28-2019, 06:31 PM
So are you saying he's pissed off at the Baker situation and that he's not at State anymore or is he pissed at Baker for lying to him? What's Byron thinking?

He’s pissed at Baker for lieing to him. Imo, I’m not real sure of Baker’s draw to Alabama considering he’s just a position coach with no aspirations of becoming a DC and was basically going to head back to the NFL in two years after his kid graduates any way. He would of gotten just as good of an NFL job in two years being at State as Alabama and if he had stayed at State he wouldn’t of been micromanaged and bitched at like he will at Bama. We matched and actually offered more money to keep him over what Alabama offered. I get the draw of Huff because he wants to be a head coach. Don’t understand the Baker move at all though.

Commercecomet24
01-28-2019, 06:39 PM

His pissed at the lying. Baker told Nathan and Byron last Thursday he wouldn't leave State accept for the nfl. Direct Quote from baker "I ain't going to bama come to State".

Gutter Cobreh
01-28-2019, 06:54 PM
If we decide we want Brick Haley and hire him tonight, I don't care if Moorhead calls Barry Odom up or not. Maybe I'm just unprofessional or whatever, but I think Brick would owe Odom the explanation, not joe

FWIW, I agree with you. The blame is on Baker to be upfront.

How many here have had headhunters contact them about another job? Should that profession need permission from your current boss first?

Thanks for the info Basedog! Mullen wouldn't have given you the time of day. I'm either off to see my doctor or to hit the bottle, as my agreement w/ MSState7 within this thread has me worried my mental state is starting to slip.....

DownwardDawg
01-28-2019, 07:20 PM
Maybe

Haha

basedog
01-28-2019, 07:28 PM
FWIW, I agree with you. The blame is on Baker to be upfront.

How many here have had headhunters contact them about another job? Should that profession need permission from your current boss first?

Thanks for the info Basedog! Mullen wouldn't have given you the time of day. I'm either off to see my doctor or to hit the bottle, as my agreement w/ MSState7 within this thread has me worried my mental state is starting to slip.....

LMAO, +1 7 had to be the leader in his "debate club" in high school. He can argue just to be arguing!

I told my buddy no way Mullen would come over and spend 10 minutes with us. It was interesting to say the least in things he had to say!

dawgday166
01-28-2019, 07:28 PM
Saban didn't call and ask to talk or interview with either. From what I understand Huff told Coach and they discussed it in length. Not so much with Baker, Coach had no clue.

I do think Coach has moved on and understands more about the Sec and what goes on more now.

It's always a learning curve the first year especially in the Sec.

Bama postgame PC Joe was putting Bama on pedestal and saying that's what he wanted our program to become. I'm very good with that (although I prefer Dabo's approach better ... he better coach too than Saban) but, he kept saying it and I was "alright Joe, we got it". You could kinda tell he was in awe a good bit IMO.

Maybe now that he know how it works, he won't be in awe and will be like most of us ... "f*ck Saban" and work harder to kick his ass. I think Joe does have more fire in his belly than most give him credit for.

dawgday166
01-28-2019, 07:30 PM
Maybe

Ain't this the damn Understatement of the Year!! **

msbulldog
01-28-2019, 07:31 PM

Thanks for the info, BaseDawg, keep up the good work!

Turfdawg67
01-28-2019, 07:37 PM
Bama postgame PC Joe was putting Bama on pedestal and saying that's what he wanted our program to become. I'm very good with that (although I prefer Dabo's approach better ... he better coach too than Saban) but, he kept saying it and I was "alright Joe, we got it". You could kinda tell he was in awe a good bit IMO.

Maybe now that he know how it works, he won't be in awe and will be like most of us ... "f*ck Saban" and work harder to kick his ass. I think Joe does have more fire in his belly than most give him credit for.

That's called "coach speak" dude. Just like when Nick Satan praises the College of Charleston, and all their 2*s, in his pre-game interview. Joe didn't mean it nor did little Nicky.

dawgday166
01-28-2019, 07:39 PM
That's called "coach speak" dude. Just like when Nick Satan praises the College of Charleston, and all their 2*s, in his pre-game interview. Joe didn't mean it nor did little Nicky.

There's praising and then there's praising. Joe seemed like he was gushing a little bit to me but ... maybe not.

msbulldog
01-28-2019, 07:40 PM

Because that's what honorable people do. I know that's an old fashioned concept, but some of those old fashioned concept have a great deal of worth, think about it.

dawgday166
01-28-2019, 07:42 PM
Because that's what honorable people do. I know that's an old fashioned concept, but some of those old fashioned concept have a great deal of worth, think about it.

LOL ... you have to be "honorable" to understand that concept. You do realize who you're replying to don't you? *********

bluelightstar
01-28-2019, 07:50 PM

This is not how it works in virtually any profession. If a recruiter calls a lawyer, they don't call the current Firm. I don't see the big deal.

basedog
01-28-2019, 07:58 PM
This is not how it works in virtually any profession. If a recruiter calls a lawyer, they don't call the current Firm. I don't see the big deal.

To me it's lack of respect because he is treated like some kind of king. But mostly it's the timing, Like JoMo stated "Saban can do whatever, most Coaches would call and ask". Joe want operate like Saban, JoMo wasn't spilling his guts about it, he like many think the timing sucks. Also Baker should have been upfront and let Joe know what was going on.

msbulldog
01-28-2019, 08:23 PM

You are correct and we are getting a portion of that tremendous Alabama athletic budget ,
ROLL TIDE.

Ifyouonlyknew
01-28-2019, 08:29 PM
Saban doesn't have the relationship with JoeMo & MSU but Baker does. Baker should've been upfront. Calling is courtesy but not required.

msbulldog
01-28-2019, 08:33 PM
He?s pissed at Baker for lieing to him. Imo, I?m not real sure of Baker?s draw to Alabama considering he?s just a position coach with no aspirations of becoming a DC and was basically going to head back to the NFL in two years after his kid graduates any way. He would of gotten just as good of an NFL job in two years being at State as Alabama and if he had stayed at State he wouldn?t of been micromanaged and bitched at like he will at Bama. We matched and actually offered more money to keep him over what Alabama offered. I get the draw of Huff because he wants to be a head coach. Don?t understand the Baker move at all though.

Concur.

basedog
01-28-2019, 08:37 PM
Saban doesn't have the relationship with JoeMo & MSU but Baker does. Baker should've been upfront. Calling is courtesy but not required.

Yes

Jack Lambert
01-28-2019, 09:04 PM

How many times did diaz come back? Never burn bridges.

Todd4State
01-28-2019, 09:43 PM
I still think Moorhead will be a very good coach for us.

The thing is we had sky high expectations- and we have too many message board fans digging in their heels with the "If we don't go 11-1 we should fire the coach!" message board cred instead of looking at the actual facts about how things played out.

The biggest thing we need to do as a program is start to consistently beat upper tier SEC teams at about the rate that we did in the 1990's with Jackie. Which was roughly about one a year. That something we rarely did under Dan and getting some marquee wins will elevate our national standing as long as we also consistently beat teams "we should beat", win the Egg Bowl consistently, and keep going to bowl games- especially NYD and NY6 bowls. I think us beating Texas A&M and to a lesser degree Auburn was a good start towards getting those marquee wins.

I seen it dawg
01-28-2019, 09:50 PM
Good stuff base thanks

Bdawg
01-28-2019, 10:28 PM

Well damn. Why would Young trust him at Bama now? Wish that angle would work with him and he would join forces in the trenches with Pickering!!

BrunswickDawg
01-29-2019, 08:44 AM
I still think Moorhead will be a very good coach for us.

The thing is we had sky high expectations- and we have too many message board fans digging in their heels with the "If we don't go 11-1 we should fire the coach!" message board cred instead of looking at the actual facts about how things played out.

The biggest thing we need to do as a program is start to consistently beat upper tier SEC teams at about the rate that we did in the 1990's with Jackie. Which was roughly about one a year. That something we rarely did under Dan and getting some marquee wins will elevate our national standing as long as we also consistently beat teams "we should beat", win the Egg Bowl consistently, and keep going to bowl games- especially NYD and NY6 bowls. I think us beating Texas A&M and to a lesser degree Auburn was a good start towards getting those marquee wins.

So - no offense Todd - but are already there in year 1 of Moorhead. Most of our fans are just too focused on the "what if" and "should??? beat".
I am going to assume that what you mean by "Top Tier" is AP Top 25. Jackie beat 9 AP Top 25 regular season opponents from '91 - '03. It just so happens that 8 of those 9 finished in the Top 25 as well. The only season we beat 2 in the same season was in '00 (UF and AU).

If we use that as the measuring stick - then Joe is off to a good start as he beat a AP Top 25 team that finished in the AP Top 25 (A&M) in addition to beating a highly ranked at the time Auburn.
The trick will be, as you said, doing it consistently. I think Joe is set up to do that and I'm willing give him the chance and not focus on the "what if's" of a transition year.

Commercecomet24
01-29-2019, 09:06 AM
Well damn. Why would Young trust him at Bama now? Wish that angle would work with him and he would join forces in the trenches with Pickering!!

Byron could very well wind up at LSU now, though we still have a glimmer of hope.

tcdog70
01-29-2019, 09:22 AM

Dude you talking apples he is talking oranges--flipping a recruit and flipping a asst. Coach 2 different things. Do you just post to be posting?

basedog
01-29-2019, 10:09 AM
I'm really kinda surprise that everyone seemed to miss the hiring of our receiver Coach. You could see in JoeMo's impressions and voice how excited he is with Johnson coming aboard. He talked about his experience and I believe he brings more to the table than Getsy who I think is made for the Nfl not college coaching.
Just saying as our converstions wasn't that big of deal about Saban, Coach Joe Mo has class and he understood Saban, I bet he learned a lot from this and like I said this past year.

Btw, just listening to him, I do think he knew Mullen's offense wasn't what he could change to, I'm thinking he wanted to get started on what he knows and believes instead of starting completely over for this year and the future. Now some will say that's crazy but as an ex Coach I agree with his thoughts, he pretty much said he was looking ahead for the future when he took the job. He said he wants to win and we will.

msstate7
01-29-2019, 10:28 AM
Maybe Johnson is the best big thing at wr coach, but I have concerns. He's bounced around a lot and for the most part left jobs without the option of staying. 2012-2013 he wasn't even coaching. He was coaching HS from 2014-2016. I don't know a lot about him, but I would say he's got question marks

basedog
01-29-2019, 10:32 AM
Maybe Johnson is the best big thing at wr coach, but I have concerns. He's bounced around a lot and for the most part left jobs without the option of staying. 2012-2013 he wasn't even coaching. He was coaching HS from 2014-2016. I don't know a lot about him, but I would say he's got question marks

WOW u just can’t help yourself. U live way too much in the dark. Concern u have but yet you say you don’t know much about him.

msstate7
01-29-2019, 10:38 AM
WOW u just can’t help yourself. U live way too much in the dark. Concern u have but yet you say you don’t know much about him.

Fine, he's the next big thing. Sorry I had the audacity to question his unquestionable greatness.

Ifyouonlyknew
01-29-2019, 10:42 AM

Sounds a lot like Brian Baker to me

msstate7
01-29-2019, 10:46 AM

And we questioned that hire when it was made. It turned out to be a good one. Hopefully this one is too.

basedog
01-29-2019, 10:46 AM
Fine, he's the next big thing. Sorry I had the audacity to question his unquestionable greatness.

Unquestionably greatness, where did u get that from? Coach is excited about Johnson's experience.

the_real_MSU_is_us
01-29-2019, 10:48 AM
WOW u just can?t help yourself. U live way too much in the dark. Concern u have but yet you say you don?t know much about him.

Literally all 7 is doing is reading his resume, which you have to admit isn't that great.

I think 7 sometimes goes to far in his complaints, but in this case all hes saying is hes not sold. Based on the resume AMD what Oregon fans are saying that's the most rational view to take

msstate7
01-29-2019, 10:49 AM
Literally all 7 is doing is reading his resume, which you have to admit isn't that great.

I think 7 sometimes goes to far in his complaints, but in this case all hes saying is hes not sold. Based on the resume AMD what Oregon fans are saying that's the most rational view to take

Too far? Me? Ok, sometimes haha

the_real_MSU_is_us
01-29-2019, 10:53 AM

It does, and we all hope that's true. Problem is for every Baker there's a Sirmon when your talking about underwhelming resumes. Theres a reason Saban hires proven P5 coaches

Really Clark?
01-29-2019, 10:54 AM
Too far? Me? Ok, sometimes haha

Never...I don’t know why you don’t post your opinions more***. Haha

DancingRabbit
01-29-2019, 11:17 AM
Interesting that Johnson's son is an all american dual threat QB who just signed with Penn State in December.

https://usatodayhss.com/2018/penn-state-michael-johnson-jr-under-armour-jersey-brett-hundley

https://chrislamaywest.files.wordpress.com/2015/11/maxwell-smart-missed-it-by-that-much.jpg

Cowbell
01-29-2019, 11:17 AM
Basedog, Best thread i have read on here for some time. I appreciate the insight. This is the reason I keep coming back to this board.

On the issue of Baker, Did Alabama have to buy out his contract?

basedog
01-29-2019, 11:21 AM
Let me say I have not a clue about Johnson, I did see he has coached in the NFL several times, why he lost or changes jobs is beyond me. His experience should be an asset, all I can say Coach thinks it's a great hire and was fired up about him. I ask did he know him, he said only from Johnson's kid.

He also has OC experience, I would think he would be ok as an wide receiver Coach. If he recruits then that is a plus, just maybe JoeMo knows more than any of us.

basedog
01-29-2019, 11:23 AM
Basedog, Best thread i have read on here for some time. I appreciate the insight. This is the reason I keep coming back to this board.

On the issue of Baker, Did Alabama have to buy out his contract?

I didn't ask about contract, I could tell Coach was surprised by the move. I'm guessing but I think Baker lied about the situation to Coach.

Ifyouonlyknew
01-29-2019, 11:24 AM
It does, and we all hope that's true. Problem is for every Baker there's a Sirmon when your talking about underwhelming resumes. Theres a reason Saban hires proven P5 coaches

Is his resume really underwhelming? If we were talking about for an OC yes but for a WR coach I don't think so. He has multiple years of coaching WR in both college & the NFL. He's been an OC in both college & the NFL. So his resume is fine for a WR coach. The only thing considered a negative is he moves around a lot & that's part of the business esp for
Position coaches.

Political Hack
01-29-2019, 11:25 AM
I didn't ask about contract, I could tell Coach was surprised by the move. I'm guessing but I think Baker lied about the situation to Coach.

Sort of seemed like that from the outside looking in. Either way, we lose position coaches every year. Most teams do actually. Very difficult to keep a staff in tact now with everyone and their momma having agents that play constant games.

msstate7
01-29-2019, 11:26 AM
Is his resume really underwhelming? If we were talking about for an OC yes but for a WR coach I don't think so. He has multiple years of coaching WR in both college & the NFL. He's been an OC in both college & the NFL. So his resume is fine for a WR coach. The only thing considered a negative is he moves around a lot & that's part of the business esp for
Position coaches.

Did taggart try to take him to FSU? I'm just curious... even if he did, I can see Johnson wanting to stay bc his son entering senior year

shannondawg
01-29-2019, 11:37 AM
What you expect from lawyers? Ethics? lol

basedog
01-29-2019, 11:37 AM
Position coaches.

And that was exactly what Coach was referring to about Johnson. Hopefully with his NFL experience he can attract receivers while recruiting, I got that feeling from Coach he would or could.

Ifyouonlyknew
01-29-2019, 11:38 AM
Did taggart try to take him to FSU? I'm just curious... even if he did, I can see Johnson wanting to stay bc his son entering senior year

Taggart wanted to but Johnson said he would only go with a QB coach/OC title. They couldn't work it out so Johnson stayed at Oregon & FSU hired Walt Bell. Bell lasted a year.

basedog
01-29-2019, 11:39 AM
Sort of seemed like that from the outside looking in. Either way, we lose position coaches every year. Most teams do actually. Very difficult to keep a staff in tact now with everyone and their momma having agents that play constant games.

Exactly, so what if he leaves, Getsy was a one hit wonder or maybe miss although I think he is more of a NFL Coach than college.

Seems even Bama is having a hard time keeping coaches regardless of there plans.

basedog
01-29-2019, 11:40 AM
What you expect from lawyers? Ethics? lol

+1

msstate7
01-29-2019, 11:41 AM
Taggart wanted to but Johnson said he would only go with a QB coach/OC title. They couldn't work it out so Johnson stayed at Oregon & FSU hired Walt Bell. Bell lasted a year.

This makes me feel a little better about Johnson.

msstate7
01-29-2019, 11:44 AM
I assume the connection between joe and Michael was formed recruiting Michael jr?

Ifyouonlyknew
01-29-2019, 11:48 AM
I assume the connection between joe and Michael was formed recruiting Michael jr?

They have a mutual friend

Political Hack
01-29-2019, 01:32 PM

If they only knew.

War Machine Dawg
01-29-2019, 01:40 PM

You can be genuine, believe you're going to win if you get "your players", etc. and still be a completely hopeless HC. We had another coach in the not too distant pass that said some of the same things and was described in the same way as JoeMo is now. "Churructer", "system", "need players", "I know my way works..."

The fact is he took a team that should've won 10-12 games (bowl included in that) and was lucky to win 8, thanks to a national championship caliber defense. His offense would've struggled to put up points on a good JUCO team. Considering the guy was billed as an offensive guru, can you understand why that's extremely concerning? Especially when you consider he had arguably the second best QB in our history on the team? I hope like hell I'm wrong, because we're stuck with the shit show for 2-3 more years since we have no leadership or confidence to pull the plug in a timely fashion. Plus, JoeMo is likeable and would be a great ambassador for us. But I don't have a whole lot of faith based on what I've seen so far.

Gutter Cobreh
01-29-2019, 01:43 PM

If they only knew.

My money is on Saban!***

I seen it dawg
01-29-2019, 03:27 PM

Unless it's a country club....

bulldawg28
01-29-2019, 04:03 PM
If they only knew.

Mullen

Tbonewannabe
01-29-2019, 04:06 PM
You can be genuine, believe you're going to win if you get "your players", etc. and still be a completely hopeless HC. We had another coach in the not too distant pass that said some of the same things and was described in the same way as JoeMo is now. "Churructer", "system", "need players", "I know my way works..."

The fact is he took a team that should've won 10-12 games (bowl included in that) and was lucky to win 8, thanks to a national championship caliber defense. His offense would've struggled to put up points on a good JUCO team. Considering the guy was billed as an offensive guru, can you understand why that's extremely concerning? Especially when you consider he had arguably the second best QB in our history on the team? I hope like hell I'm wrong, because we're stuck with the shit show for 2-3 more years since we have no leadership or confidence to pull the plug in a timely fashion. Plus, JoeMo is likeable and would be a great ambassador for us. But I don't have a whole lot of faith based on what I've seen so far.

I know shitting on JoeMo is somehow cool around here but this statement is completely moronic. Our offense struggled against good defenses but the only defense that we struggled against that wasn't a top 20 defense was UF. We also kicked ass against Auburn (Very Good defense), aTm (decent defense but fantastic against the run), KSU (was one of the top defenses in the Big 12), and was a dropped TD away from beating Iowa (Very Good defense).

I understand the frustration with our offense but let's not throw the baby out with the bathwater. Joe hired a better defensive and recruiting staff than we had. That is the reason for the #1 defense. You probably don't have that without Joe so you can't fault him for having it. UF has 2 guys that might go 1st round also so it wasn't like Grantham had a let down at UF because of losing talent. Shoop > Grantham.

2 dropped passes away from equaling Dan Mullen's best season at MSU. Most people on this board would be ready to fire Saban or Urban Myer after this year and it is 17ing moronic. There was some growing pains moving into the SEC. News flash, Every 17ing coach goes through it. Saban, Smart, and pretty much everyone else. Mullen did well at UF this year because he was already in the shit and knew how to handle it. UF has a boatload of talent, probably about as much as us and his system is a lot simpler than what Moorhead is trying to teach. For whatever reason, Fitz didn't grasp the offense very well. Who knows the reasons but Fitz also sucked in 2016 when Dan tried to get him to run Dak's offense from 2015. Dan had an injury free spring and summer to figure out Fitz's limitations and Moorhead didn't.

Sure Moorhead has something to prove. He came in talking about championships and Heismans just like Mullen did. Hopefully Moorhead backs it up more than Mullen did.