PDA

View Full Version : New DL names...

Tripp McNeely
01-27-2019, 05:35 PM
Can we please stop whining about it and move on. Those in the know, give us some new names (PLEEEEEAAASSSEEE include Bo Davis!!)

We, at worst, stayed on the same level with our RB and WR coaches. Richardson/Johnson = Huff/Getsy (at worst). Jomo will keep us on the same level at DL...Rosey?s already claiming that he knows a couple of names.

msstate7
01-27-2019, 05:38 PM
On tRant Bama board they thought saban got shot down trying to hire bo Davis. If that's true, forget it

confucius say
01-27-2019, 05:43 PM
On tRant Bama board they thought saban got shot down trying to hire bo Davis. If that's true, forget it

That is the word yep.

But that was bc Davis got a show cause while at Bama. A show cause that is still ongoing. Somebody else will hire Davis. May or may not be us.

yjnkdawg
01-27-2019, 05:52 PM

Since this violation(s) occurred under Bama, and Saban's purview, it would be almost impossible to justify to the NCAA viable reasons why they should be approved to hire Davis back.

Todd4State
01-27-2019, 05:55 PM
That is the word yep.

But that was bc Davis got a show cause while at Bama. A show cause that is still ongoing. Somebody else will hire Davis. May or may not be us.

Show cause ends in April FWIW.

Cooterpoot
01-27-2019, 05:57 PM
NCAA isn’t going to let him coach til April and we can’t wait that long. Chris Wilson is likely the favorite but that’s just a guess.

Tripp McNeely
01-27-2019, 05:59 PM
NCAA isn’t going to let him coach til April and we can’t wait that long. Chris Wilson is likely the favorite but that’s just a guess.

Wilson or Davis don’t seem like downgrades at all. At worst, when you factor in their recruiting, they’re on the same level as Baker

Leeshouldveflanked
01-27-2019, 06:05 PM
Davis knows where the bodies are buried**

Todd4State
01-27-2019, 06:15 PM

As long as he's not the DC...

I don't really care for him personally. But he has a good resume.

yjnkdawg
01-27-2019, 06:18 PM
I would go after Davis, but I don't see that happening.

KOdawg1
01-27-2019, 06:20 PM
Bo Davis. If the SEC says no, then Chris Wilson.

Todd4State
01-27-2019, 06:20 PM
We all know that Joe is going to go after someone that we probably never heard of.

Ifyouonlyknew
01-27-2019, 06:45 PM
Bo Davis. If the SEC says no, then Chris Wilson.

SEC said no to Bama so mark him off the list.

fader2103
01-27-2019, 06:46 PM
Steve R. Is saying he is hearing teo coach with sec resumes on them and good recruiters

ScottH
01-27-2019, 06:47 PM
My guess is Shoop not Moorhead makes the decision.

msstate7
01-27-2019, 06:48 PM
I would think looking at guys that coached dline under shoop might be a place to find some names

DogsofAnarchy
01-27-2019, 06:55 PM
Can we please stop whining about it and move on. Those in the know, give us some new names (PLEEEEEAAASSSEEE include Bo Davis!!)

We, at worst, stayed on the same level with our RB and WR coaches. Richardson/Johnson = Huff/Getsy (at worst). Jomo will keep us on the same level at DL...Rosey?s already claiming that he knows a couple of names.

Just as long as it’s not Chris Wilson. That dude is too soft.

I seen it dawg
01-27-2019, 07:01 PM
Why every time we have a coach opening we have people auto go back to guys that have been here already? Wilson? Shit let's go get torbush or joe lee

Hambone
01-27-2019, 07:03 PM
Why every time we have a coach opening we have people auto go back to guys that have been here already? Wilson? Shit let's go get torbush or joe lee

Only if it’s sock-less Joe Lee!

MetEdDawg
01-27-2019, 07:03 PM

We are the most self sabotaging fan base I've ever seen. It shocks me folks want to do stuff like that.

was21
01-27-2019, 07:09 PM
what she said

the_real_MSU_is_us
01-27-2019, 07:10 PM

Because as much as we all like to pretend we know all about sports, the reality is the vast majority of us couldnt name you 3 position coaches in the country if they have no connection to us. So rather than say "I know nothing about who we should hire" they throw out the few names they do know. Besides people always feel more comfortable with the familiar than an unknown. It's why incumbents win so often even if their approval rating is low

vv83
01-27-2019, 07:17 PM
So is Baker officially gone or what? I can’t find anything

Todd4State
01-27-2019, 07:20 PM
Because as much as we all like to pretend we know all about sports, the reality is the vast majority of us couldnt name you 3 position coaches in the country if they have no connection to us. So rather than say "I know nothing about who we should hire" they throw out the few names they do know. Besides people always feel more comfortable with the familiar than an unknown. It's why incumbents win so often even if their approval rating is low

Yep. And exactly why I said we'll hire someone we've never heard of. Including me.

CovertDawg
01-27-2019, 07:20 PM
Sorry, but I am not going to freak out about this. We are replacing a D-Line coach, not asking someone to come in and cure cancer. There are so many good coaches out there.

Here are D-Line rankings by Football Outsiders... https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ncaadl

Go get a guy who coached a group with a high sack rate and good overall ranking.

On a random note....Did you see Les Koenning was named Offensive Coordinator for Les Miles at Kansas? That is just bizarre to me. It was originally going to be Chip Lindsey before he took over the head job at Troy.

Really Clark?
01-27-2019, 07:42 PM
Brick Haley is a name I keep hearing and mentioned earlier

DownwardDawg
01-27-2019, 07:44 PM

Would be a great hire!

bluelightstar
01-27-2019, 07:44 PM
So is Baker officially gone or what? I can’t find anything

Clarion Ledger article says MSU Athletics confirmed it.

bobcat91
01-27-2019, 07:54 PM
Steve says Hailey and Freddie Roach from UM are 2 names he has heard

msstate7
01-27-2019, 07:56 PM

This is so unfair! The SEC should step in and stop this crap!

Did I do it right?

KOdawg1
01-27-2019, 07:57 PM
Steve says Hailey and Freddie Roach from UM are 2 names he has heard

Not saying I want Roach, but that would be high quality entertainment for sure

Cooterpoot
01-27-2019, 07:58 PM
Brick and Roach = Meh

Really Clark?
01-27-2019, 08:10 PM
Brick and Roach = Meh

Why you feel that way? You have some other names?

AlSwearengen
01-27-2019, 08:14 PM
Didn’t Haley leave us and go to lsu then the saints? Where was he this year?

Cooterpoot
01-27-2019, 08:14 PM
Why you feel that way? You have some other names?

Roach has little experience and hasnt recruited well at OM. Brick is past his prime and been bouncing around. Brick would be better than Roach but that’s not saying a lot. Of course, one left us for LSU and the other left is for AL. So they fit the pattern at least.

Westdawg
01-27-2019, 08:16 PM
I like Brick, but dang, we are really churning up some low levels to pull back up with Brick, Wilson, and Roach.
I think I may give up if we bring Wilson back. And just what the heck has Roach really done of late to make us WANT to go pull him from OM?

Really Clark?
01-27-2019, 08:17 PM
Didn’t Haley leave us and go to lsu then the saints? Where was he this year?

Missouri

Really Clark?
01-27-2019, 08:18 PM
Roach has little experience and hasnt recruited well at OM. Brick is past his prime and been bouncing around. Brick would be better than Roach but that’s not saying a lot. Of course, one left us for LSU and the other left is for AL. So they fit the pattern at least.

I meant Brick but should have clarified. Thought he did a good job at MO this season but understand where some are coming from. But did think he did pretty good this season

Cooterpoot
01-27-2019, 08:38 PM
I believe in slamming the door when people crawl back. Just me.

Ari Gold
01-27-2019, 08:41 PM
Lance Thompson is a name to keep an eye on.

Goldendawg
01-27-2019, 08:43 PM
Sorry, but I am not going to freak out about this. We are replacing a D-Line coach, not asking someone to come in and cure cancer. There are so many good coaches out there.

Here are D-Line rankings by Football Outsiders... https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ncaadl

Go get a guy who coached a group with a high sack rate and good overall ranking.

On a random note....Did you see Les Koenning was named Offensive Coordinator for Les Miles at Kansas? That is just bizarre to me. It was originally going to be Chip Lindsey before he took over the head job at Troy.

College football and especially NFL coaching is about relationships and "the old boy network". That is why you see so many coaches getting new gigs after failures in other places. A great fit makes a great coach.

NCDawg
01-27-2019, 08:46 PM

I got fed up with Wilson when he put Broomfield on Alshon Jeffery to lose the USC game.

justwin
01-27-2019, 08:47 PM
Davis knows where the bodies are buried**

Somebody had to be the fall guy

dawgday166
01-27-2019, 08:47 PM

Really? I'm curious on this one.

1) Is there a previous relationship between Thompson and Moorhead or Shoop?
2) Think we have a shot?

msstate7
01-27-2019, 08:50 PM

Let go by South Carolina. I don't know much about him, but that doesn't sound good

dawgday166
01-27-2019, 08:52 PM
Let go by South Carolina. I don't know much about him, but that doesn't sound good

I must've missed that article when I Googled him. Wonder why ... although I believe Muschamp probably Sabanesque to work for.

msstate7
01-27-2019, 08:54 PM
I must've missed that article when I Googled him. Wonder why ... although I believe Muschamp probably Sabanesque to work for.

https://www.thestate.com/sports/college/university-of-south-carolina/usc-football/josh-kendall-blog/article224242700.html

No idea

dawgday166
01-27-2019, 09:02 PM
https://www.thestate.com/sports/college/university-of-south-carolina/usc-football/josh-kendall-blog/article224242700.html

No idea

USCe Dline stats weren't so hot this past year. Doesn't necessarily mean he's not a good coach tho and Saban seemed high on him at one time. Big time recruiter from what I read too. After seeing those SC Dline stats tho ... I"m kinda meh on him right now.

Cooterpoot
01-27-2019, 09:03 PM
Thompson used to have a good name before SC job. Still not sure I want the guy that another SEC school fired.

dawgday166
01-27-2019, 09:05 PM
Thompson used to have a good name before SC job. Still not sure I want the guy that another SEC school fired.

Could be similar to Shoop tho ... bad situation. With Muschamp ... I wouldn't be surprised. Muschamp is not HC material at all.

Todd4State
01-27-2019, 09:09 PM
https://ukathletics.com/staff.aspx?staff=198

I'd look at this guy.

CovertDawg
01-27-2019, 09:10 PM
Shoop's twitter "Likes" game is strong right now. He has a little fire in the belly. https://twitter.com/CoachBobShoop/likes

preachermatt83
01-27-2019, 09:17 PM

Thompson is a good coach and very good recruiter but we would be in the same boat we are in now within a year. He is always looking for the next job.

NCDawg
01-27-2019, 09:18 PM

I'd look at this guy.

Sounds good to me. Kentucky's DL was pretty good this year.

preachermatt83
01-27-2019, 09:19 PM

I'd look at this guy.

I dang right. That fella is a heck of a coach.

I seen it dawg
01-27-2019, 09:28 PM

Shoop....? Grantham was alright

CadaverDawg
01-27-2019, 09:33 PM
USCe Dline stats weren't so hot this past year. Doesn't necessarily mean he's not a good coach tho and Saban seemed high on him at one time. Big time recruiter from what I read too. After seeing those SC Dline stats tho ... I"m kinda meh on him right now.

After the way Shoop changed my worries about him....I'm all for giving a guy with proven success a change of scenery after 1 bad stop

Dawg-gone-dawgs
01-27-2019, 09:38 PM
Freddie Roach, Brick Haley...I want Bo Davis but that's not happening

Ifyouonlyknew
01-27-2019, 09:48 PM

I could go for that. He's a big time recruiter.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
01-27-2019, 10:07 PM
I could go for that. He's a big time recruiter.

That would be a HR. How is he even available?

Bodaski
01-27-2019, 10:10 PM
That is the word yep.

That show cause may have occurred during the recruitment of Jeffery Simmons after JS's foul up. I have heard that but I can't claim to know for sure, other than he was let go during the time the university was deciding whether or not they were going to admit Jeffery or not.

preachermatt83
01-27-2019, 10:12 PM
Roach from OM and brick Haley are two of the names Steve is mentioning.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
01-27-2019, 10:17 PM

Really?

Cooterpoot
01-27-2019, 10:19 PM
Shoop....? Grantham was alright

Shoop was at a train wreck and Grantham was known to be very good (Shoop too). SC is a mediocre program. So not really similar. But I don?t really have an opinion of Thompson. He just hasn?t really done a lot.

chef dixon
01-27-2019, 10:28 PM
We are getting way too bogged down in worrying about assistant coaches

preachermatt83
01-27-2019, 10:37 PM
Really?

Yea

Todd4State
01-27-2019, 11:22 PM

I don't want Roach. What has he done that is so impressive? Haley I would be OK with but I have a feeling that is someone that knows Brick and is putting that out there.

I have a feeling that Ari's Lance Thompson rumor is likely more accurate.

Todd4State
01-28-2019, 02:12 AM
https://gopsusports.com/coaches.aspx?rc=26&path=football

This is honestly the best candidate that we could possibly hope for that I would consider somewhat "realistic". He coached with Shoop at Penn State and Vanderbilt. He also has the New England ties that Joe likes.** I imagine it will be really tough to pull him away with all of the titles by his name. Hopefully he will want to diversify his resume and parlay that into a DC position or lateral move to Alabama.** I would say that this would be a good way to spend Baker's buyout money.

Jarius
01-28-2019, 03:41 AM
Roach is a good recruiter. He would be a good hire. He can't recruit at Ole Miss because of that situation. There is a reason that McGriff immediately got scooped up when OM fired him. DL coaches are hired guns as recruiters. Some positions have to be excellent coaches (coordinators/ol coaches), but most others can be primarily recruiters. The talent level makes the coaches at a lot of positions.

Really Clark?
01-28-2019, 07:19 AM
Roach is a good recruiter. He would be a good hire. He can't recruit at Ole Miss because of that situation. There is a reason that McGriff immediately got scooped up when OM fired him. DL coaches are hired guns as recruiters. Some positions have to be excellent coaches (coordinators/ol coaches), but most others can be primarily recruiters. The talent level makes the coaches at a lot of positions.

Roach MAY be a good recruiter but he is 8th on OM staff and we only have a track record of what he?s done at UNM and South Alabama. His actual work has not shown up in recruiting to say he is good.

Cooterpoot
01-28-2019, 07:36 AM

This is honestly the best candidate that we could possibly hope for that I would consider somewhat "realistic". He coached with Shoop at Penn State and Vanderbilt. He also has the New England ties that Joe likes.** I imagine it will be really tough to pull him away with all of the titles by his name. Hopefully he will want to diversify his resume and parlay that into a DC position or lateral move to Alabama.** I would say that this would be a good way to spend Baker's buyout money.

Zero chance

I seen it dawg
01-28-2019, 07:57 AM

He didn't coach there this past season

Dawg-gone-dawgs
01-28-2019, 08:20 AM
Yea

I had just listed them....

Really Clark?
01-28-2019, 08:29 AM
He didn't coach there this past season

He was just let go a few weeks ago, John Scott got the job last week. Now this season his job was changed to defensive tackles and Peterson took over the OLB, Ends group

BhamDawg205
01-28-2019, 08:30 AM
Ok question what is coach Hughes position? Are there no office staff coaches ready for on the field positions yet? Just maybe one of those guys maybe the MSU position/HC of the future, who won't be looking for the next big gig(loyalty)

Really Clark?
01-28-2019, 08:42 AM
I think Brad Lawing is still out there. If he is ready to go, I definitely give him a call. Older coach, dang good DL coach and recruiter

fader2103
01-28-2019, 09:06 AM

I can't recall that I have seen a D-line coach also be the Run game coordinator. That is kinda weird to me.

hacker
01-28-2019, 09:20 AM

And they were listed on the page before you listed them

Dawg-gone-dawgs
01-28-2019, 09:39 AM
And they were listed on the page before you listed them

https://media.giphy.com/media/xT0xeqgxhSVUOVxAYw/giphy.gif

NeshobaChuck
01-28-2019, 10:03 AM
I know I don’t post here often but those who are concerned with hiring Freddie Roach, I can tell you first hand this guys would be a good get. Young up and coming coach, players love him, he’s really good at what he does, he shows his guys how to use their hands and FWIW he coached the Denico Autry’s, Zadarius smith, Brandon Moore, stokes wells, Damian Jacobs, and Lauren jackson at Emcc. The amount of offers those kids had was insane trust me I was there

NeshobaChuck
01-28-2019, 10:07 AM
3 of those were sec DL and 1 was big 12. Lauren jackson was going to Bama but grades were an issue if I’m not mistaking

StarkVegasSteve
01-28-2019, 10:11 AM
A buddy text me that we were also looking at Dennis Johnson, who's the DL coach at LSU.

preachermatt83
01-28-2019, 10:26 AM

my Apologies. I missed it.

Ifyouonlyknew
01-28-2019, 10:45 AM
A buddy text me that we were also looking at Dennis Johnson, who's the DL coach at LSU.

He's a young guy but he's a really aggressive recruiter who's from MS. My only question is would he leave his Alma Mater to come to MSU. I do know he's not making a ton but that's partly do to his lack of experience (3 years at LSU). I'd take him in a heartbeat though.

CadaverDawg
01-28-2019, 11:33 AM
He's a young guy but he's a really aggressive recruiter who's from MS. My only question is would he leave his Alma Mater to come to MSU. I do know he's not making a ton but that's partly do to his lack of experience (3 years at LSU). I'd take him in a heartbeat though.

Sounds like a great fit if he'll come. I'd rather have young and aggressive than a guy like Brick Haley, personally. One is looking to make a name for himself, the other is probably only looking for a little bit bigger check

ShotgunDawg
01-28-2019, 11:36 AM

Would Johnson get us back in the game with Young?

Ifyouonlyknew
01-28-2019, 11:43 AM
Would Johnson get us back in the game with Young?

It's possible but I wouldn't bet on it.

Homedawg
01-28-2019, 11:45 AM
Just as long as it?s not Chris Wilson. That dude is too soft.

Not that i'm promoting Chris, but too soft? AS in to the players? Um no. NOt at all. You ever go to practice???? He wasn't soft, far from it.

BrunswickDawg
01-28-2019, 11:58 AM
Not that i'm promoting Chris, but too soft? AS in to the players? Um no. NOt at all. You ever go to practice???? He wasn't soft, far from it.

I'm sure he's equating that to Wilson's time as DC/co-DC and our Mullen "bend, and bend, then break" philosophy on D.

Here's a shot in the dark - I think it's Wilson. He has been totally removed from our past coaching rosters on the website - which seems odd based on the content of those pages. He's the only former on-field coach I can find in the Mullen era without his his name and a link to his old bio listed. Only reason you would have it down is if you are updating it......

bulldawg28
01-28-2019, 12:56 PM
I'm sure he's equating that to Wilson's time as DC/co-DC and our Mullen "bend, and bend, then break" philosophy on D.

Here's a shot in the dark - I think it's Wilson. He has been totally removed from our past coaching rosters on the website - which seems odd based on the content of those pages. He's the only former on-field coach I can find in the Mullen era without his his name and a link to his old bio listed. Only reason you would have it down is if you are updating it......

Wilson is coaching the Eagles. He's not leaving the NFL for college again Imo unless he's fired.

Cooterpoot
01-28-2019, 01:01 PM
Wilson is coaching the Eagles. He's not leaving the NFL for college again Imo unless he's fired.

He was let go end of season. He's looking for a job.

Homedawg
01-28-2019, 01:08 PM

he is without a job

I seen it dawg
01-28-2019, 01:51 PM
He was just let go a few weeks ago, John Scott got the job last week. Now this season his job was changed to defensive tackles and Peterson took over the OLB, Ends group

Right. Sorry i was thinking Roper

I seen it dawg
01-28-2019, 01:54 PM
Heres a curious exercise...how many people without looking it up can name Clemson's DL coach who i guess is pretty good? I can't. Or the top 5 D lines in the country who are their coaches...i guess I'm getting at there are a bunch out there we just need a good fit for us. And not hardly any of us including those that really follow it can name very many if any.

the_real_MSU_is_us
01-28-2019, 01:58 PM
Hers a curious exercise...how many people without looking it up can name Clemson's DL coach who i guess is pretty good? I can't. Or the top 5 D lines in the country who are their coaches...

Exactly, we all like to pretend we know collefe football but like you say we can't name 3 DL coaches among all 129 other teams unless they've been affiliated with us.

So the options for posters here are A) say "I don't know who we should get, hope JoMo does" or B) throw out the 5 names they know of and pretend they're experts on football.

Those of us who do A) don't post, so you just see B) debating which former MSU assistant is the best

Big4Dawg
01-28-2019, 02:01 PM
What about Jimmy Brumbaugh?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jimmy_Brumbaugh

Was at EMCC then went to Kentucky. Now DL/Co-DC at Maryland.

PSYCHO(thesis)DEFENSE
01-28-2019, 02:03 PM

wow I didn't know he was in coaching much less LSU's DL coach. I lined up across from him for 3 years when he played DL for Amory. I hated Amory but glad to see him doing well. I hope he coaches better than he sheds blocks*

I seen it dawg
01-28-2019, 02:08 PM
Those that can't do teach

Really Clark?
01-28-2019, 02:09 PM
Heres a curious exercise...how many people without looking it up can name Clemson's DL coach who i guess is pretty good? I can't. Or the top 5 D lines in the country who are their coaches...i guess I'm getting at there are a bunch out there we just need a good fit for us. And not hardly any of us including those that really follow it can name very many if any.

Todd Bates for the last 2 years. Hobby before that I guess you could say. Was DE - Co-DC then left for Jags. Dan Brooks did tackles and had been at Clemson for a long while. He was at Tenn for a long time prior

I seen it dawg
01-28-2019, 02:11 PM
Well there's 1

DownwardDawg
01-28-2019, 02:12 PM

Lol. This is where I'm at. I could care less who we hire, as long as he does a good job!!

Ari Gold
01-28-2019, 02:13 PM

Well said.. that’s why while losing Baker was a blow because he was a damn good coach for US , it’s not the end of world.
Find the guy that’s the right fit for US and we won’t miss a beat

And was sent a message today from a guy who spoke with coach ( A DL coach )
That said Baker may be wishing he was back in Starkville before the season ever starts. Yeah this coach was under Saban at one time...

Commercecomet24
01-28-2019, 02:26 PM

Nailed it.

Really Clark?
01-28-2019, 02:30 PM
Well there's 1

Haha. Sorry I had to. I?ve met Brooks before back when he was at Tenn so kind already had that in mind

Cooterpoot
01-28-2019, 02:36 PM

So, you're saying there's a chance at Clemson's DL coach.
Seriously though, most people are just pissed about how it happened and with who. Baker can eat one. He was a HS coach when we hired him.

Spiderman
01-28-2019, 02:48 PM
NCAA isn?t going to let him coach til April and we can?t wait that long. Chris Wilson is likely the favorite but that?s just a guess.

Please no

BrunswickDawg
01-28-2019, 02:49 PM

I can only name 2 DL coaches outside of MSU period:
Jess Simpson at Miami - we went to high school together
Andy McCollum - was GT's DL coach 2010-2012, then moved to Safeties and recruiting coordinator - I grew up with his family.

And I wouldn't be able to name them if they weren't friends.

Pit Bull
01-28-2019, 03:29 PM

Make up some names you would like to see. It's what all of our so-called experts do anyway. You know as much as any other poster on ED.

AROB44
01-28-2019, 03:50 PM
Make up some names you would like to see. It's what all of our so-called experts do anyway. You know as much as any other poster on ED.

Which isn't a hard thing to do.

Bodawg
01-28-2019, 04:07 PM
Well said.. that’s why while losing Baker was a blow because he was a damn good coach for US , it’s not the end of world.

That said Baker may be wishing he was back in Starkville before the season ever starts. Yeah this coach was under Saban at one time...

Some on here call Cohen the IB. I would imagine that sawed off SOB at Alabama is ten times more intense than our AD. Baker had it made here working with JoMo.
Hope he realizes what a mistake he's made when the little had grenade starts chewing on that a$$.

msstate7
01-28-2019, 04:39 PM
Some on here call Cohen the IB. I would imagine that sawed off SOB at Alabama is ten times more intense than our AD. Baker had it made here working with JoMo.
Hope he realizes what a mistake he's made when the little had grenade starts chewing on that a$$.

Maybe. Baker could be someone's DC next season too though. Promotions come much quicker under saban

Turfdawg67
01-28-2019, 06:08 PM

I don't think many fans would care IF Baker left, it's the timing with Pickering and possibly Young hanging in the balance.

basedog
01-28-2019, 06:32 PM
I don't think many fans would care IF Baker left, it's the timing with Pickering and possibly Young hanging in the balance.

Pickering this morning told Coach he was signing with us.

Commercecomet24
01-28-2019, 06:36 PM

Pickering is good and working on Byron and cross is working Byron too. Probably don't get him but shoop is taking to Byron as well.

Turfdawg67
01-28-2019, 06:38 PM
Pickering this morning told Coach he was signing with us.

Yeah, thanks, I read your other thread. Good stuff! Point being that if Young happened to sign too, Baker's leaving would be a big ole MEH.

BuckyIsAB****
01-28-2019, 06:42 PM
Most of Wilson's players speak very highly of him for what its worth. Not saying thats who we hire but he is a good DL coach.

bulldawg28
01-28-2019, 06:56 PM
He was let go end of season. He's looking for a job.

Gotcha

Homedawg
01-28-2019, 07:26 PM

This is a fact. He's awful to work for. But it's a chance to win big and a chance to advance. Ambition is in all of their heads. All of them. The good ones at least.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
01-28-2019, 07:48 PM

How many times does Pickering have to say he is all MSU until people start believing him?

Turfdawg67
01-28-2019, 07:57 PM
How many times does Pickering have to say he is all MSU until people start believing him?

Don't know. Haven't heard him, have you? He's not committed right... Right. I know many "State fan" recruits that were all State until signing day. And anyway, I'll ask whatever I want... so 17 off.

Really Clark?
01-28-2019, 08:13 PM
Don't know. Haven't heard him, have you? He's not committed right... Right. I know many "State fan" recruits that were all State until signing day. And anyway, I'll ask whatever I want... so 17 off.

He’s been committed since June...he’s told the coaches and people in the area he is 100% committed to us and will sign with us next week.

maroonmania
01-28-2019, 08:52 PM
So, you're saying there's a chance at Clemson's DL coach.
Seriously though, most people are just pissed about how it happened and with who. Baker can eat one. He was a HS coach when we hired him.

Even more pissed today after listening to SR on the Boneyard. Sounds like we were willing to go even above what AL was offering but Baker's mind was made up (not that Saban would not have just countered higher). Just sold out to Bama to work for the Little Tyrant at the same position. Heck, most of Bama's 5 start DL dont even need much coaching.

Turfdawg67
01-28-2019, 09:00 PM
He’s been committed since June...he’s told the coaches and people in the area he is 100% committed to us and will sign with us next week.

Good, great!! Not even the GD point of my first comment. ...and Moore was "committed" as well. Guess I should've said signed.

bulldawg28
01-28-2019, 09:14 PM
Even more pissed today after listening to SR on the Boneyard. Sounds like we were willing to go even above what AL was offering but Baker's mind was made up (not that Saban would not have just countered higher). Just sold out to Bama to work for the Little Tyrant at the same position. Heck, most of Bama's 5 start DL dont even need much coaching.

Yes they do. Only one DL played elite last year.

Ifyouonlyknew
01-28-2019, 09:15 PM
Back to DL names. Another guy I'd kick the tires on is Elijah Robinson.

Really Clark?
01-28-2019, 09:47 PM
Good, great!! Not even the GD point of my first comment. ...and Moore was "committed" as well. Guess I should've said signed.

“He's not committed right... Right”. Quote straight from your post. And if it’s about signing then you are a week early for that post since, you know, he can’t sign right now.

Really Clark?
01-28-2019, 09:51 PM
Back to DL names. Another guy I'd kick the tires on is Elijah Robinson.

Like him...a lot of good DL coaches learned under Johnson at Penn St. Definitely worth a conversation

Dawg-gone-dawgs
01-28-2019, 11:51 PM

Yes you should have and go take a midol

Dawg-gone-dawgs
01-28-2019, 11:55 PM

No I haven't heard him but I can read f^*#ing tweets. And btw this is not SPS.

Randolph Dupree
01-28-2019, 11:58 PM
I didn't read all the comments, but wtf happened to this thread?

BuckyIsAB****
01-29-2019, 01:06 AM

The same thing that always does unfortunately

Really Clark?
01-29-2019, 02:12 PM
DL coach won’t be Brick.

msstate7
01-29-2019, 02:15 PM
DL coach won’t be Brick.

Saying it isn't him rather than who it will be seems like he showed us no interest

Really Clark?
01-29-2019, 02:19 PM
Saying it isn't him rather than who it will be seems like he showed us no interest

No there were talks but didn’t really gain traction and he withdrew his name. We are zeroed in on someone now

msstate7
01-29-2019, 02:20 PM
No there were talks but didn’t really gain traction and he withdrew his name. We are zeroed in on someone now

Gotcha

Alumni50
01-29-2019, 03:01 PM

That would be cool for me on a personal level since I used to hang out with this guy some in my younger days. Haven?t spoken with him in years we were both kids back then but real nice guy

BuckyIsAB****
01-29-2019, 03:06 PM

?

Turfdawg67
01-29-2019, 05:21 PM

Dawg gone Days with his out of place smartass comments.

Turfdawg67
01-29-2019, 05:27 PM
“He's not committed right... Right”. Quote straight from your post. And if it’s about signing then you are a week early for that post since, you know, he can’t sign right now.

No my first comment was "I don't think many fans would care IF Baker left, it's the timing with Pickering and possibly Young hanging in the balance." And you're right, Pickering hasn't signed so no one knows 100% where he'll sign. CJ Johnson was ALL MSU... until he wasn't. So was Moore.

Really Clark?
01-29-2019, 05:30 PM
No my first comment was "I don't think many fans would care IF Baker left, it's the timing with Pickering and possibly Young hanging in the balance." And you're right, Pickering hasn't signed so no one knows 100% where he'll sign. CJ Johnson was ALL MSU... until he wasn't. So was Moore.

Did I say it was your first comment? No. But you did write what I quoted and he has been committed and is still committed since June 2018

Really Clark?
01-29-2019, 05:32 PM
?

Sorry I missed this earlier. I don’t know who but a few names out there.

ETA. Steve just added Deke Adams as a possibility but that’s new to me. Hmmm

Turfdawg67
01-29-2019, 05:40 PM
Did I say it was your first comment? No. But you did write what I quoted and he has been committed and is still committed since June 2018

No, but you were replying to this dippy... "Good, great!! Not even the GD point of my first comment. ...and Moore was "committed" as well. Guess I should've said signed." The POINT of the whole thing was Baker's departure timing sucked. Very happy that Pickering is still committed and I hope he signs next week. Good lord

yjnkdawg
01-29-2019, 05:43 PM

Like normal. Threads normally go crazy just like hurricane spaghetti weather models. They go here, They go there. Then a few go way off from the other spaghetti plots (go off the topic of thread), etc

Turfdawg67
01-29-2019, 05:48 PM
Like normal. Threads normally go crazy just like hurricane spaghetti weather models. They go here, They go there. Then a few go way off from the other spaghetti plots, etc

Yep, I made a comment about Baker, Dawg Gone makes his usual snarky remark and Clark decides to chime in because I said committed instead of signed... and now we're down the rabbit hole. LOL.

Really Clark?
01-29-2019, 05:57 PM
Yep, I made a comment about Baker, Dawg Gone makes his usual snarky remark and Clark decides to chime in because I said committed instead of signed... and now we're down the rabbit hole. LOL.

Your the one that got testy and harsh, cursing. All I said he had been committed and stated he has been adamant about it with coaches and personally to people in the area. If you meant signed that’s on you not me. Sure didn’t read like that’s what you meant though

Really Clark?
01-29-2019, 06:05 PM
Deke Adams gaining ground

msstate7
01-29-2019, 06:08 PM
Does shoop have autonomy when it comes to his staff?

BhamDawg205
01-29-2019, 06:17 PM

So wonder how some will feel if he does come here. He just signed to coach at Memphis this month. Will JoMo ask or just take from the smaller program?
Resume is on the light side, but does have SEC experience. He has coached NFL talent. I would be ok with him.

Really Clark?
01-29-2019, 06:21 PM
So wonder how some will feel if he does come here. He just signed to coach at Memphis this month. Will JoMo ask or just take from the smaller program?
Resume is on the light side, but does have SEC experience. He has coached NFL talent. I would be ok with him.

I think his biggest plus is he is from here so we are adding to the staff another MS connected coach. (Lose Hud and Baker, gain Tony and maybe Deke). Known to be a recruiter and well liked.

Ifyouonlyknew
01-29-2019, 06:23 PM

Looks to be the guy.

BhamDawg205
01-29-2019, 06:30 PM
I think his biggest plus is he is from here so we are adding to the staff another MS connected coach. (Lose Hud and Baker, gain Tony and maybe Deke). Known to be a recruiter and well liked.

Starting to grow on me the more I read. MS is a definite plus

yjnkdawg
01-29-2019, 06:36 PM
Does shoop have autonomy when it comes to his staff?

I would say that Shoop would not be our DC if he could not hire the assistants that he wanted , and we can get. He is responsible for the success or failure of our defense, so I can't see JoeMo micromanaging our defensive football program. I'm pretty sure that Shoop told JoeMo that he wanted to keep Buckley and Baker on his staff.

BhamDawg205
01-29-2019, 06:41 PM
I would say that Shoop would not be our DC if he could not hire the assistants that he wanted , and we can get. He is responsible for the success or failure of our defense, so I can't see JoeMo micromanaging our defensive football program. I'm pretty sure that Shoop told JoeMo that he wanted to keep Buckley and Baker on his staff.

That maybe true now after this past season. But his career did take a hit at Tenn . So not sure JoMo didn't make the call on T Buck and Baker, IMO.

yjnkdawg
01-29-2019, 06:53 PM
Starting to grow on me the more I read. MS is a definite plus

After getting some more info on him, we "may possibly" end up getting a better coach/recruiter. A lot were unimpressed with the Baker hire, and see how that hiring scenario worked out. You just never know (yjnk). He was a member of the USM Nasty Bunch defense too. That's cool lol

yjnkdawg
01-29-2019, 07:20 PM
That maybe true now after this past season. But his career did take a hit at Tenn . So not sure JoMo didn't make the call on T Buck and Baker, IMO.

Could have been JoeMo's call. but that was what I was told. Probably should have stated based on what I was told to be more accurate.

BhamDawg205
01-29-2019, 07:29 PM
Could have been JoeMo's call. but that was what I was told. Probably should have stated based on what I was told to be more accurate.

It's cool mine was an opinion. But whoever idea it was, was the right one. It was probably, the continuity and Talent, why the defense performance was outstanding.

Ifyouonlyknew
01-29-2019, 07:33 PM
Adams has everything the majority of the fan base said they wanted. A guy with MS ties, has SEC experience, & a good recruiter.

BhamDawg205
01-29-2019, 07:38 PM
Adams has everything the majority of the fan base said they wanted. A guy with MS ties, has SEC experience, & a good recruiter.

Might be a little easier going into these MS homes trying to get highly rated kids to stay instate.

I seen it dawg
01-29-2019, 07:52 PM

Well why don't you 2 just ****ing stop then. Stop being ****ing bitches arguing for the sake of arguing. Look each other up on twitter and do it over there.

yjnkdawg
01-29-2019, 07:53 PM

Sounds good, IYOK. This should eliminate the sky is falling drama on hiring a DL coach. Oh, wait though for some the sky is always falling, so I had better redact my second sentence. :)

Cooterpoot
01-29-2019, 08:58 PM
I’m sorry, but Adams is a joke. He’s been a joke at every stop. This is also going to possibly create a problem with at least one recruit, maybe two. I can’t explain how wrong this guy is for us.

BuckyIsAB****
01-29-2019, 09:09 PM
I’m sorry, but Adams is a joke. He’s been a joke at every stop. This is also going to possibly create a problem with at least one recruit, maybe two. I can’t explain how wrong this guy is for us.

Explain. He is everything we have asked for. From MS and has been at worst, a decent recruiter.

Cooterpoot
01-29-2019, 09:12 PM
I’ve never said we needed a MS guy or southern guy. I’m actually the opposite. I want the best coach, period. Adams isn’t it. He’s John Blake-esque. Maybe not the throat cutting Blake but the rest.

msstate7
01-29-2019, 09:13 PM
Explain. He is everything we have asked for. From MS and has been at worst, a decent recruiter.

Poster on sps says from reading unc and Memphis boards, Adams is a good recruiter, but bad coach

Cooterpoot
01-29-2019, 09:18 PM
He was runoff from SC too. This hire just makes no sense when we had a lot of interest.

Todd4State
01-29-2019, 09:28 PM

I like the fact that he is from Meridian which has been a difficult spot for us to recruit from time to time.

Really Clark?
01-29-2019, 09:30 PM
He was runoff from SC too. This hire just makes no sense when we had a lot of interest.

I have my own opinion and reservations as well but he was let go at USCe because of the coaching change and Muschamp bringing his own guys. Not saying he should have been retained but it is a little different. He has been at the downward turn of a couple of programs. Kind of snake bit with that.
L

BuckyIsAB****
01-29-2019, 09:31 PM
Poster on sps says from reading unc and Memphis boards, Adams is a good recruiter, but bad coach

I figured if we got a guy that is what we wanted we would bitch about something else. Moorhead could cure cancer and some of us would say he didnt do it soon enough

KOdawg1
01-29-2019, 09:33 PM
delete

msstate7
01-29-2019, 09:33 PM
I figured if we got a guy that is what we wanted we would bitch about something else. Moorhead could cure cancer and some of us would say he didnt do it soon enough

I don't know anything about him. It was dawgman42, but he just stated what he read.

BuckyIsAB****
01-29-2019, 09:37 PM
I don't know anything about him. It was dawgman42, but he just stated what he read.

I dont either but I have heard nothing like whats being posted here. All Im saying is he is what the majority wanted, from MS, SEC experience and now thats not good enough.

We bitched saying dont hire retreads then say Brick Haley or Chris Wilson would be better than Adams. Which I like Wilson and so do a lot of his former players but the point still stands

Cooterpoot
01-29-2019, 09:42 PM
I’m not in favor of always considering State connected guys or guys from NS or the south. That’s the stuff that makes no difference. We need good coaches. John Blake was a helluva recruiter. Why our fans make a big deal of it is beyond me. Mullen isn’t from the south. Meyer isn’t. Saban isn’t. It simply doesn’t matter.

Cooterpoot
01-29-2019, 09:43 PM
I dont either but I have heard nothing like whats being posted here. All Im saying is he is what the majority wanted, from MS, SEC experience and now thats not good enough.

We bitched saying dont hire retreads then say Brick Haley or Chris Wilson would be better than Adams. Which I like Wilson and so do a lot of his former players but the point still stands

Haley burned bridges. I have no issue with Wilson except he?s a terrible DC. Let’s see what happens this weekend.

BuckyIsAB****
01-29-2019, 09:44 PM
I’m not in favor of always considering State connected guys or guys from NS or the south. That’s the stuff that makes no difference. We need good coaches. John Blake was a helluva recruiter. Why our fans make a big deal of it is beyond me. Mullen isn’t from the south. Meyer isn’t. Saban isn’t. It simply doesn’t matter.

They are all coaching at places that recruit themselves. And 2 of those 3 surround themselves with guys from the area that they recruit....I get the best coaches argument Im all for that but we should absolutely hire guys with southern ties and Moorhead did that with the RB WR and DL positions. IF we are getting Adams

BuckyIsAB****
01-29-2019, 09:45 PM
Haley burned bridges. I have no issue with Wilson except he?s a terrible DC. Let’s see what happens this weekend.

When Wilson was the DC here he was being told how to do it by Mullen. He is spoken of very highly by just about every player he coached at MSU

Cooterpoot
01-29-2019, 09:48 PM
Wilson is a super guy. And his resume is better than all of the guys I’ve seen mentioned. Not saying he’s my guy but Adams? Damn. The fact we heard Roach and now Adams is rough. It’s like we didn’t look any where.

BhamDawg205
01-29-2019, 09:51 PM

State isn't LSU Bama or FL, they recruit themselves... That being said Shoop will be the CEO. And I'm all for increasing our recruitment profile. At the end of the day it's about the Jimmy and Joe's vs the Xs and Os. That played out this season. Offense lacked the talent depth, while defense was stacked.

BuckyIsAB****
01-29-2019, 09:54 PM
Wilson is a super guy. And his resume is better than all of the guys I’ve seen mentioned. Not saying he’s my guy but Adams? Damn. The fact we heard Roach and now Adams is rough. It’s like we didn’t look any where.

Wilson wouldve probably been my first call tbh

Todd4State
01-29-2019, 09:54 PM
I have my own opinion and reservations as well but he was let go at USCe because of the coaching change and Muschamp bringing his own guys. Not saying he should have been retained but it is a little different. He has been at the downward turn of a couple of programs. Kind of snake bit with that.
L

I'm assuming that was the same reason why he was fired at North Carolina too. And I don't know how Memphis fans could possibly give an objective opinion of him since he has been there roughly two weeks.

Really Clark?
01-29-2019, 10:06 PM
I'm assuming that was the same reason why he was fired at North Carolina too. And I don't know how Memphis fans could possibly give an objective opinion of him since he has been there roughly two weeks.

That?s right. And his one year at East Carolina was a poor team in the middle of multiple down years. Like I said he has kind of been snake bit in that regard.

Again it?s not like I don?t have reservations, but I also know I don?t look at it the same as a lot of people on the boards. MS ties, recruiter first, etc. is not necessarily a priority in a line coach. I want a coach and teacher first. High energy is a plus. If he has recruiting chops, that?s just a bonus for me. If he has ties to south or MS, great it?s nice but if they are from Canada but is the best coach/teacher/motivator available, they move up the board over a regional tie. Like I said, that?s just me for line coaches.

Cooterpoot
01-29-2019, 10:18 PM
State isn't LSU Bama or FL, they recruit themselves... That being said Shoop will be the CEO. And I'm all for increasing our recruitment profile. At the end of the day it's about the Jimmy and Joe's vs the Xs and Os. That played out this season. Offense lacked the talent depth, while defense was stacked.

You think a guy brought because he’s from MS and has recruitrd here is going to win out of state battles for recrits? We already have Huges. We should be expanding out instead of staying in MS. That’s been our problem a long time.

Todd4State
01-29-2019, 10:23 PM
That?s right. And his one year at East Carolina was a poor team in the middle of multiple down years. Like I said he has kind of been snake bit in that regard.

Again it?s not like I don?t have reservations, but I also know I don?t look at it the same as a lot of people on the boards. MS ties, recruiter first, etc. is not necessarily a priority in a line coach. I want a coach and teacher first. High energy is a plus. If he has recruiting chops, that?s just a bonus for me. If he has ties to south or MS, great it?s nice but if they are from Canada but is the best coach/teacher/motivator available, they move up the board over a regional tie. Like I said, that?s just me for line coaches.

To me it depends on the position group. If it's TE's I would be fine if the coach there is a better recruiter than teacher. If it's a QB coach I want a good teacher over recruiting.

In general if you asked me if I would rather have a coaching staff full of good recruiters vs good teachers I think I would rather have good recruiters because I subscribe to the Jimmy's and Joe's are greater than X's and O's theory. I would also say that if you don't have coaches that can do both your ceiling is probably limited anyway probably by roughly the same amount. See MSU with Dan and Ole Miss with Freeze. Both ended up with similar results on the field at their peaks.

BhamDawg205
01-29-2019, 10:28 PM

Todd4State
01-29-2019, 10:32 PM
You think a guy brought because he’s from MS and has recruitrd here is going to win out of state battles for recrits? We already have Huges. We should be expanding out instead of staying in MS. That’s been our problem a long time.

I disagree. We HAVE TO win Mississippi first. I think our major problem is we don't win enough of the elite players in state. Look at this year. I know that it's an abnormal year in terms of talent for Mississippi but we've already lost Nakobe Dean and Brandon Turnage among others. What would our class and our team look like with those two? What would have happened this year with AJ Brown on our team? Cam Akers? Mississippi needs to be our first target. And then fill in the blanks with out of state players. The DB's that de-committed from us would have been a lot less likely to de-commit if they were from Mississippi instead of Alabama and Louisiana. Yes, Dan did a good job with the under the radar players but not good enough with the higher rated players.

It's extremely difficult to convince out of state players that have in state offers from SEC or P5 offers to come to MSU without cheating our ass off like Ole Miss did- and that's not going to work for us like it didn't work for them. So, most of the out of state players we get are guys that "Alabama and Auburn didn't want." That's why I think we should continue to hit Louisiana hard because LSU can only sign 25 of them there- realistically probably 20- and that's how we can get a Dak Prescott, a Josh Robinson, a Whop, a Key, Dillion Day and etc.

Even our baseball program focuses on Mississippi talent first. So, expecting our football program to go out of state consistently and land legit 4 star talent isn't realistic.

Really Clark?
01-29-2019, 10:37 PM
To me it depends on the position group. If it's TE's I would be fine if the coach there is a better recruiter than teacher. If it's a QB coach I want a good teacher over recruiting.

In general if you asked me if I would rather have a coaching staff full of good recruiters vs good teachers I think I would rather have good recruiters because I subscribe to the Jimmy's and Joe's are greater than X's and O's theory. I would also say that if you don't have coaches that can do both your ceiling is probably limited anyway probably by roughly the same amount. See MSU with Dan and Ole Miss with Freeze. Both ended up with similar results on the field at their peaks.

I agree that a QB coach also has to be a great teacher and coach, well above recruiting. Offensive line is next on that same line also. You have to be a coach first, a great recruiter but poor OL coach does nothing for you. You can have all the jimmy and joes you want, but poorly coached OL vs a well coached less talented DL/DC will eat your lunch all day long. The DL coach I can slide more to the recruiting side vs coach but recruiting is still secondary. RB, TE, WR, CB, and LB I go heavier on recruiters for sure. Obviously, everyone wants someone who is great at both but they are already at prime jobs for the most part. And even some of the high profile schools have an outstanding coach/bad recruiter at prime positions as well. Still would have liked to have to looked at Brad Lawing, and maybe we did and he is done or done for now. 61 years old but dang great coach and recruiter. He is the one who developed Clowney and many many others.

Todd4State
01-29-2019, 10:45 PM
I agree that a QB coach also has to be a great teacher and coach, well above recruiting. Offensive line is next on that same line also. You have to be a coach first, a great recruiter but poor OL coach does nothing for you. You can have all the jimmy and joes you want, but poorly coached OL vs a well coached less talented DL/DC will eat your lunch all day long. The DL coach I can slide more to the recruiting side vs coach but recruiting is still secondary. RB, TE, WR, CB, and LB I go heavier on recruiters for sure. Obviously, everyone wants someone who is great at both but they are already at prime jobs for the most part. And even some of the high profile schools have an outstanding coach/bad recruiter at prime positions as well. Still would have liked to have to looked at Brad Lawing, and maybe we did and he is done or done for now. 61 years old but dang great coach and recruiter. He is the one who developed Clowney and many many others.

Hevesy's offensive lines were consistently dominated by upper tier opponents and a big reason why we had difficulty winning those games.

BhamDawg205
01-29-2019, 10:54 PM
Hevesy's offensive lines were consistently dominated by upper tier opponents and a big reason why we had difficulty winning those games.

And now most of us say Hev was a B+ coach and a D- recruiter. I'm gonna give Adams the benefit of the doubt do to location and talent at past schools. Next year we still have A to B+ plus talent on the DL. If we can get B+ recruiting and B coaching I think we'll be still in the 8-9 win range. So what is Hughes position?

Really Clark?
01-29-2019, 10:56 PM

Reverse comparison. I said great recruiter but poor coach will get his high profile OL dominated by lower rated well coached DL. Our OL were dominated (depending on the year because we also had some very good OL) vs highly talented AND well coached DL. That’s when it broke down usually. But there are numerous examples of much higher rated DL’s that were not coached as well pushed around by our lower rated OL’s. In fact, other than Vandy and Kentucky at times, did our OL ever go against a lower rated DL than what we fielded in the league? Arkansas a time or two maybe? As far as avg rankings go our OL vs the rest of the league, I would say nearly every SEC teams DL out rated our OL’s. That kind of makes my point. No question you want both but especially with OL coaches, that’s very hard to find. Someone who is a great teacher and recruiter.

Todd4State
01-29-2019, 11:20 PM
And now most of us say Hev was a B+ coach and a D- recruiter. I'm gonna give Adams the benefit of the doubt do to location and talent at past schools. Next year we still have A to B+ plus talent on the DL. If we can get B+ recruiting and B coaching I think we'll be still in the 8-9 win range. So what is Hughes position?

I'm assuming Hughes will coach TE's.

Todd4State
01-29-2019, 11:24 PM
Reverse comparison. I said great recruiter but poor coach will get his high profile OL dominated by lower rated well coached DL. Our OL were dominated (depending on the year because we also had some very good OL) vs highly talented AND well coached DL. That’s when it broke down usually. But there are numerous examples of much higher rated DL’s that were not coached as well pushed around by our lower rated OL’s. In fact, other than Vandy and Kentucky at times, did our OL ever go against a lower rated DL than what we fielded in the league? Arkansas a time or two maybe? As far as avg rankings go our OL vs the rest of the league, I would say nearly every SEC teams DL out rated our OL’s. That kind of makes my point. No question you want both but especially with OL coaches, that’s very hard to find. Someone who is a great teacher and recruiter.

I remember our offensive line getting dominated in 2014 and 2015 by Ole Miss and I think Chris Kiffen is an absolute joke of a coach. And Dan beat UK and the four OOC opponents how many times at MSU? That's five of our wins most years under Dan right there.

Really Clark?
01-29-2019, 11:46 PM
I remember our offensive line getting dominated in 2014 and 2015 by Ole Miss and I think Chris Kiffen is an absolute joke of a coach. And Dan beat UK and the four OOC opponents how many times at MSU? That's five of our wins most years under Dan right there.

Todd I’m not going to get in a back and forth. We both know that our OL’s were rated lower than the majority of the schools we faced in the league by a large percentage of the time and yet won a lot of games anyway. And not all of the losses were from bad OL play anyway. You want to dispute it, look up all of the recruiting numbers of the DL’s we faced. Hev sucked as a recruiter (although he is recruiting extremely well this year) but was a dang good OL coach. And it showed on the field. Usually when our OL was dominated, it was by well coached and highly rated lines. Kiffin sucked as a human and was an average coach but Allen was an extremely good coach who called the defenses in 2014 when they had the #1 rated defense in the country. Talent and well coached

Todd4State
01-29-2019, 11:49 PM
Todd I’m not going to get in a back and forth. We both know that our OL’s were rated lower than the majority of the schools we faced in the league by a large percentage of the time and yet won a lot of games anyway. And not all of the losses were from bad OL play anyway. You want to dispute it, look up all of the recruiting numbers of the DL’s we faced. Hev sucked as a recruiter (although he is recruiting extremely well this year) but was a dang good OL coach. And it showed on the field. Usually when our OL was dominated, it was by well coached and highly rated lines. Kiffin sucked as a human and was an average coach but Allen was an extremely good coach who called the defenses in 2014 when they had the #1 rated defense in the country. Talent and well coached

And that's exactly my point. Don't forget- it was a few years before Dan beat an SEC West team other than Ole Miss and we only had one above .500 finish in league play when Dan was here.