PDA

View Full Version : There is a truth to discuss...'

Coursesuper
01-27-2019, 05:29 PM
Mississippi State will never compete on a national stage in football, ever. We simply can't afford to do it in today's climate. The best that MSU can do is to win our state, win 8 or 9 when we can and try not to have 4 and 5 win seasons. We as a University have to play the game and use what revenues we receive from our own generation and from our football and the SEC ( TV money) to prop up the sports where we do have chance to compete on a national level ( Baseball and Womens Basketball).

Back to football, the time that we had a chance to compete has passed us by, and truthfully I don't think we as an alumni base are capable of doing what is necessary to get the things done to generate the amount of funding necessary for football to play on the big stage. We as an alumni are to inbred and busy back biting each other over how to get over and 17 each other for the best seats at football and the best seats in the baseball stadium. We as a group will never get in lock step and march for the greater good, someone will 17 it up every time. It's been this way for s long as I can remember and it's not going to change.

Todd4State
01-27-2019, 05:32 PM
I think Byrne did a better job of getting people together. I don't know that Cohen can. But I think it starts with the AD there.

And with our luck if we ever did go 13-0 it would be the same year that Notre Dame, Clemson, Oregon, and Texas all went undefeated also leaving us out of the playoff.**

confucius say
01-27-2019, 05:38 PM
Lot of butt hurt on this board today. Not aimed at just the OP, but about 90% of the board.

We sound like whiny ******s.

We have not had a 4 or 5 win season in a decade.
We won 10 games in 2014. And if Guidry and Mitchell catch wide open passes we win 10 this year.

Coursesuper
01-27-2019, 05:41 PM
Lot of butt hurt on this board today. Not aimed at just the OP, but about 90% of the board.

We won 10 games in 2014. And if Guidry and Mitchell catch wide open passes we win 10 this year.

This isn't whining, this is reality. 10 games is not competing on the big stage either, it's just winning 10 games and going to an also ran bowl game with a better paycheck.

confucius say
01-27-2019, 05:46 PM
You just said the best we can do is 8-9 wins. That obviously is false.

Also, 10 wins guarantees you a NY6 bowl. If that is an also ran bowl game that you don't see as awesome, you really should quit following football.

Leeshouldveflanked
01-27-2019, 05:52 PM
We were #1 for 5 weeks in 2014.... Saban won’t be around forever...That being said, We don’t have the AD in place at this time to compete in anything more than Baseball and Women’s basketball...

Coursesuper
01-27-2019, 05:56 PM
You just said the best we can do is 8-9 wins. That obviously is false.

Also, 10 wins guarantees you a NY6 bowl. If that is an also ran bowl game that you don't see as awesome, you really should quit following football.

You are very typical Misipy Tate, first trying to argue 8,9 or 10 wins doesn't matter that's just semantics, your talking about going to a new yea six bowl game and thinking that's 17ing awesome, I'm talking about playing for the whole ball of wax. Typical small time thinking, the exact just of my post. We as an alumni aren't and never will be prepared to do what is necessary to play for the big trophy. And yes any bowl game these days that's not in the playoffs or the CFP national championship game are also ran games. You are playing for school pride and getting a check, that's it.

bluelightstar
01-27-2019, 06:00 PM
As an aside, why does everyone assume we’d have beaten Florida if we caught that TD? There was almost an entire half to go

MetEdDawg
01-27-2019, 06:01 PM
Problem is that if we as fans aren't able to establish an extremely fundamentally sound financial base we won't be able to take advantage of when Saban leaves.

Revenue has to go up and donations have to go up. And they have to do so in a big way. We need to get revenue above $70 million at a minimum. We should all aim to increase our donations by 5-10%. If you give $50 a month, give $55 a month. And if 5,000 people do that you get an extra $300,00 just from donations. Season ticksets probably need to increase by at least $20 a ticket. Need MSU fans to buy from the athletic department whenever they can. Tickets, clothes, etc. Got to show up to games and pay money for concessions, gear, etc and make sure if you do sell your tickets you sell them to people who will buy MSU stuff.

confucius say
01-27-2019, 06:06 PM
You are very typical Misipy Tate, first trying to argue 8,9 or 10 wins doesn't matter that's just semantics, your talking about going to a new yea six bowl game and thinking that's 17ing awesome, I'm talking about playing for the whole ball of wax. Typical small time thinking, the exact just of my post. We as an alumni aren't and never will be prepared to do what is necessary to play for the big trophy. And yes any bowl game these days that's not in the playoffs or the CFP national championship game are also ran games. You are playing for school pride and getting a check, that's it.

1. You're.
2. You should say what you mean. Don't make statements about our ceiling being 8-9 games, get called out on it, and then move the goalposts and talk about semantics.
3. Everybody wants a natty, but if our base doesn't think a NY6 bowl appearance is awesome, that's an us problem.

TUSK
01-27-2019, 06:11 PM
Mississippi State will never compete on a national stage in football, ever. We simply can't afford to do it in today's climate. The best that MSU can do is to win our state, win 8 or 9 when we can and try not to have 4 and 5 win seasons. We as a University have to play the game and use what revenues we receive from our own generation and from our football and the SEC ( TV money) to prop up the sports where we do have chance to compete on a national level ( Baseball and Womens Basketball).

Back to football, the time that we had a chance to compete has passed us by, and truthfully I don't think we as an alumni base are capable of doing what is necessary to get the things done to generate the amount of funding necessary for football to play on the big stage. We as an alumni are to inbred and busy back biting each other over how to get over and 17 each other for the best seats at football and the best seats in the baseball stadium. We as a group will never get in lock step and march for the greater good, someone will 17 it up every time. It's been this way for s long as I can remember and it's not going to change.

I don't buy this...

A lot of fingerin' pointing at Saban & Bammer but they don't hurt the MSU cause as much as some of the other programs do, IMO... & Bammer is as much Steppin' Stone U as you cats, right now.

Also, there are 11 other games on the schedule that are equitably important... And 11-1 in the SECW will get you in the CFP a lot of the time and a Big Time Bowl, for certain...

AU, A&M and LSU are simultaneously beatable right now... Arkie and Ole Miss are as bad as I've seen them in a while and KY is, well, they're Kentucky...

Just some random Bammer thoughts...

Coursesuper
01-27-2019, 06:20 PM
1. You're.
2. You should say what you mean. Don't make statements about our ceiling being 8-9 games, get called out on it, and then move the goalposts and talk about semantics.
3. Everybody wants a natty, but if our base doesn't think a NY6 bowl appearance is awesome, that's an us problem.

You get bogged down in bullshat, that's doesn't matter 8 to 10 wins, who cares they may as well be equivalent. Winning that many games still doesn't get you in the CFP. It's not about what Im happy with, it's about a national championship in football that in and we can't afford to get there we don't have the resources. And thanks for the grammar I don't care.

Coursesuper
01-27-2019, 06:24 PM
I don't buy this...

A lot of fingerin' pointing at Saban & Bammer but they don't hurt the MSU cause as much as some of the other programs do, IMO... & Bammer is as much Steppin' Stone U as you cats, right now.

Also, there are 11 other games on the schedule that are equitably important... And 11-1 in the SECW will get you in the CFP a lot of the time and a Big Time Bowl, for certain...

AU, A&M and LSU are simultaneously beatable right now... Arkie and Ole Miss are as bad as I've seen them in a while and KY is, well, they're Kentucky...

You should say typical Bammer response, do you even know who your programs largest benefactors are? This is about having the resources to get to the CFP from the SEC, there are 4 maybe 5 schools who have it. 2 of them we are sure of and there are 3 more that can't quite get their shat together, but if they got things going in the right direction could.

Cooterpoot
01-27-2019, 06:30 PM

We have not had a 4 or 5 win season in a decade.

We had a 5 win season in 2016.

confucius say
01-27-2019, 06:52 PM
You get bogged down in bullshat, that's doesn't matter 8 to 10 wins, who cares they may as well be equivalent. Winning that many games still doesn't get you in the CFP. It's not about what Im happy with, it's about a national championship in football that in and we can't afford to get there we don't have the resources. And thanks for the grammar I don't care.

So you're real point is we are not capable of making the playoff?

MaroonFlounder
01-27-2019, 06:56 PM
As an aside, why does everyone assume we’d have beaten Florida if we caught that TD? There was almost an entire half to go

May not have. Maybe it goes to OT tied at 13. Maybe momentum picks up defensively and UF doesn't get that other FG and MSU wins 13-10.

I seen it dawg
01-27-2019, 06:57 PM
About as much chance to make cfp as Purdue, nc State, Boston college, Texas Tech, Arizona State, Colorado, Virginia, Illinois, northwestern, etc, etc, etc in the current climate

confucius say
01-27-2019, 06:59 PM

6. Don't we all count or not count bowl games dependent upon if it helps our argument?

biggun
01-27-2019, 07:23 PM

We won 6 games in 2016

Coursesuper
01-27-2019, 07:25 PM
So you're real point is we are not capable of making the playoff?

MSU is in no way capable of matching the funding necessary to reach the CFP. We don't live in that neighborhood, we're in the nice subdivision just down the street, the one that's not gated.

confucius say
01-27-2019, 07:38 PM
MSU is in no way capable of matching the funding necessary to reach the CFP. We don't live in that neighborhood, we're in the nice subdivision just down the street, the one that's not gated.

Not even going to comment on my use of you're? Lol.

Ok, what do you think the necessary funding level is?

dawgday166
01-27-2019, 07:41 PM

Seems like close to 3/4 of a mill (or slightly more) for top-notch position coaches.

bluelightstar
01-27-2019, 07:44 PM

We likely were one regular season W away in 2014. Definitely in if we'd beaten Bama (even w/ a loss to Ole Miss). And if we'd beaten Ole Miss, the committee would have had to drop us from #4. It can be done. Will it happen again? Maybe, maybe not.

Coursesuper
01-27-2019, 08:02 PM

You literally have no idea do you, LSU, Alabama, Texas A&M, Fla and UGA all have very small groups of donors that can fully fund our AD without missing it. For US to compete I'm not even sure, more than triple our current football only budget. That comes along with what do we short in order to achieve that, do we sacrifice our current culture of using football and SEC football money to fund our other sports? We don't have a group of boosters that can reach that level giving. And we will never be able to be a cohesive enough unit to put together an IPTAY like organization, that's not in our DNA.

Goldendawg
01-27-2019, 08:57 PM
bama and the other teams that constantly have a chance at the playoffs are the Harlem Globetrotters of college FB. The rest of us are the Washington Generals who provide a little competition until the playoffs. We are also expected to know our place and stay there or expect probation and what has happened to our coaches just two weeks b4 signing day. bama has ruined college FB and the playoffs have made the other bowls poorly attended TV programming ( except maybe NY6 games).

ShotgunDawg
01-27-2019, 09:50 PM
The last two weeks have done a lot to put us in our place for sure. The inability of schools to build a program in today's climate is scary.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
01-27-2019, 09:53 PM
We got glimmers of hope but "po ole missippi tate" is back baby!!!***

dawgday166
01-27-2019, 09:55 PM
The last two weeks have done a lot to put us in our place for sure. The inability of schools to build a program in today's climate is scary.

You might can if you're in ACC, PAC12, Big 12, and maybe Big 10. The power coaches in those conferences, like Dabo, probably have some set of ethics about them as a whole. And the ones who don't don't have the power to do the crap Saban does.

ShotgunDawg
01-27-2019, 10:06 PM
You might can if you're in ACC, PAC12, Big 12, and maybe Big 10. The power coaches in those conferences, like Dabo, probably have some set of ethics about them as a whole. And the ones who don't don't have the power to do the crap Saban does.

I think Saban has been terrible for college football.

As I stated earlier today, I don't think a single human has done more to decrease attendance at college football games than Nick Saban.

Bothrops
01-27-2019, 10:13 PM

This all day. We are not in the competitive orbit with the giants of the West. We can very easily slip back to bottom feeder at the drop of a hat. We could also stay there forever.

dawgday166
01-27-2019, 10:20 PM
This all day. We are not in the competitive orbit with the giants of the West. We can very easily slip back to bottom feeder at the drop of a hat. We could also stay there forever.

Look at Bama's yearly schedule. It is ALWAYS spaced out so they have 2 easy games before a typically tough rival and 2 easy games after (other than maybe AU & SEC title game). While we probably wouldn't beat them, Saban don't want a team that shows up and knocks the crap out of them after LSU just beat them up physically some too. Could hurt his natty chances if his guys get hurt ... sorta like when spread offenses came out and he was afraid of his girls getting hurt then too. Saban wants that next easy game after LSU ... the 51-3, 38-7 types of games like under Mullen.

ShotgunDawg
01-27-2019, 10:29 PM
Look at Bama's yearly schedule. It is ALWAYS spaced out so they have 2 easy games before a typically tough rival and 2 easy games after (other than maybe AU & SEC title game). While we probably wouldn't beat them, Saban don't want a team that shows up and knocks the crap out of them after LSU just beat them up physically some too. Could hurt his natty chances if his guys get hurt ... sorta like when spread offenses came out and he was afraid of his girls getting hurt then too. Saban wants that next easy game after LSU ... the 51-3, 38-7 types of games like under Mullen.

Alabama doesn't have to play Alabama. Take them off our schedule & replace them with another Kentucky type team every year and see where you end up

Cooterpoot
01-27-2019, 10:34 PM
We won 6 games in 2016

5 in the regular season. Only got the 6 because of graduation rate and being damn lucky beat a terrible G level team. We sucked ass in 2016.

Cooterpoot
01-27-2019, 10:37 PM
Some of you would roll over and take it in the ass to keep from saying no.

confucius say
01-27-2019, 11:42 PM
You literally have no idea do you, LSU, Alabama, Texas A&M, Fla and UGA all have very small groups of donors that can fully fund our AD without missing it. For US to compete I'm not even sure, more than triple our current football only budget. That comes along with what do we short in order to achieve that, do we sacrifice our current culture of using football and SEC football money to fund our other sports? We don't have a group of boosters that can reach that level giving. And we will never be able to be a cohesive enough unit to put together an IPTAY like organization, that's not in our DNA.

More than triple? That would give us the largest football budget in the country by 10 million.

https://www.syracuse.com/orangefootball/index.ssf/2017/08/which_schools_spend_the_most_on_college_football_w here_does_syracuse_rank.html

Also, please tell me LSUs group of donors who would not miss 75 million dollars? Benson was the only one billionaire in the whole state of Louisiana before he died.

I seen it dawg
01-28-2019, 08:01 AM
Lots of oil and gas money in last 25 yrs that's around. With guys that love giving it.

msstate7
01-28-2019, 08:20 AM
Some of you would roll over and take it in the ass to keep from saying no.

And some of you would make excuses for the rapist

Coursesuper
01-28-2019, 08:35 AM
More than triple? That would give us the largest football budget in the country by 10 million.

https://www.syracuse.com/orangefootball/index.ssf/2017/08/which_schools_spend_the_most_on_college_football_w here_does_syracuse_rank.html

Also, please tell me LSUs group of donors who would not miss 75 million dollars? Benson was the only one billionaire in the whole state of Louisiana before he died.

You’re right, all those boosters live in the states that the schools are in.

Liverpooldawg
01-28-2019, 08:51 AM
This isn't whining, this is reality. 10 games is not competing on the big stage either, it's just winning 10 games and going to an also ran bowl game with a better paycheck.

It's whining.

Liverpooldawg
01-28-2019, 08:54 AM
Gloom, dispair, and agony on me.....

Liverpooldawg
01-28-2019, 08:55 AM
5 in the regular season. Only got the 6 because of graduation rate and being damn lucky beat a terrible G level team. We sucked ass in 2016.

That low still went to a bowl. Sucking ass is Tech and 10, or 3 straight 3 win seasons.

WeWonItAll(Most)
01-28-2019, 10:24 AM
Making a doom and gloom thread about how MSU can never compete at the highest level then two posts later calling someone a poor ole Misipy Tate fan takes an incredible lack of self awareness.

confucius say
01-28-2019, 12:20 PM
You’re right, all those boosters live in the states that the schools are in.

Still waiting on the names. Would you like me to do the state of Texas now? Even if LSU had a small group of billionaire boosters, which there is no evidence of, 75 million is a lot of money to not even miss.

Easy on the hyperbole.

Dawg61
01-28-2019, 12:27 PM
Mississippi State will never compete on a national stage in football, ever.

We compete on the national stage every single season every single game in football. All of our games are televised by ESPN Networks and/or CBS. Those are national networks.

Dawg61
01-28-2019, 12:35 PM

Ole Miss is 24th in athletic revenue
Clemson is 26th
Mississippi State is 31st

http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/finances/

https://media.giphy.com/media/kDIhIpwRRIi3K/giphy.gif

Coursesuper
01-28-2019, 12:37 PM
We compete on the national stage every single season every single game in football. All of our games are televised by ESPN Networks and/or CBS. Those are national networks.

When did we play in the CFP? I must have missed that.

Dawg61
01-28-2019, 12:48 PM

http://s2.quickmeme.com/img/db/db5b73afe45b468f27b8fa203459af5eddc1251b301a695465 b66302dec45146.jpg

Coursesuper
01-28-2019, 12:50 PM
Clemson is 26th

https://media.giphy.com/media/kDIhIpwRRIi3K/giphy.gif

You have a comprehension issue.

Coursesuper
01-28-2019, 12:51 PM
http://s2.quickmeme.com/img/db/db5b73afe45b468f27b8fa203459af5eddc1251b301a695465 b66302dec45146.jpg

Typical response. Thanks for reinforcing the stupid.

WeWonItAll(Most)
01-28-2019, 01:10 PM

If you're going to pout about the odds being stacked against us making the CFB playoff, and anything less than making the playoffs is considered a failure to you, then it would probably be best for you to start posting here:
https://tidefans.com/forums/

Coursesuper
01-28-2019, 01:23 PM
If you're going to pout about the odds being stacked against us making the CFB playoff, and anything less than making the playoffs is considered a failure to you, then it would probably be best for you to start posting here:
https://tidefans.com/forums/

Thank you, but I’m not pouting, just stating it the way I see it. If you don’t like it or consider me negative don’t read it you have that opportunity.

Tbonewannabe
01-28-2019, 01:27 PM
I don't buy this...

I agree with all of this. We have 11 winnable games almost every year. Even with Bama being a loss, it still gives you a chance at the Playoff if the schedule ends up tough and the ranking is still high.

Dawg61
01-28-2019, 01:34 PM
You have a comprehension issue.

Really? You have a brain functioning correctly issue.

Coursesuper
01-28-2019, 01:48 PM
Really? You have a brain functioning correctly issue.

Sharp as a marble.

Dawg61
01-28-2019, 01:53 PM
Sharp as a marble.

Soft as a tampon. Ole Miss has a larger athletic budget than Clemson bruh. Your thread is stupid.

Maroonthirteen
01-28-2019, 01:57 PM
We likely were one regular season W away in 2014. Definitely in if we'd beaten Bama (even w/ a loss to Ole Miss). And if we'd beaten Ole Miss, the committee would have had to drop us from #4. It can be done. Will it happen again? Maybe, maybe not.

I appreciate the 2014 season. However it was the biggest tease, let down and kick in the nutz of any season for me. To lose to the same ole damn rivals to be punched out of the CFP and losing the bowl game.... damn.

2014 was our chance to change the program to get to the next level. It didn?t happen.

Maroonthirteen
01-28-2019, 02:01 PM
What holds States football program back isn’t money. It is the inability to obtain large numbers of nfl talented players.

This is because of ..... 1. Small state population. 2. two sec schools in state. 3. Two big time sec programs across the state line poaching the MS talent any time they feel like it.

That’s why we aren’t Bama or Oh State or etc etc.

Coursesuper
01-28-2019, 02:02 PM
Soft as a tampon. Ole Miss has a larger athletic budget than Clemson bruh. Your thread is stupid.

You’re looking at revenue not giving or donations there tough guy. Not that it matters to you.

the_real_MSU_is_us
01-28-2019, 02:06 PM
Clemson is 26th

I don't care about "revenue", I care about the spending on football. Clemson might only be 7 spots higher than us in revenue, but they spend $111M and we spend $86M. That's $25M more money to go around. Say just $5M of that goes to football... can you imagine what we'd do with $5M more in assistant pay? Hell we'd double everyones pay with 1.5M left to keep whoever still had other offers

I seen it dawg
01-28-2019, 02:10 PM
Pesky math facts

confucius say
01-28-2019, 02:22 PM
Look at those numbers. And people on here think we need to triple out spending to compete for the CFP. Geez.

Coursesuper
01-28-2019, 02:28 PM
Look at those numbers. And people on here think we need to triple out spending to compete for the CFP. Geez.

Revenue is the same thing as spending now? That’s some high speed low drag accounting.

Dawg61
01-28-2019, 02:40 PM
You’re looking at revenue not giving or donations there tough guy. Not that it matters to you.

https://media.giphy.com/media/ReDLLlU9fDqmI/giphy.gif

confucius say
01-28-2019, 03:28 PM
Revenue is the same thing as spending now? That’s some high speed low drag accounting.

Click the link. Scroll over to the expenses column. Has nothing to do with revenue. Geez.
And I've already linked the football only spending article earlier in the thread. In no way do we need to triple our spending in order to compete for the CFP.

Coursesuper
01-28-2019, 04:25 PM
Click the link. Scroll over to the expenses column. Has nothing to do with revenue. Geez.
And I've already linked the football only spending article earlier in the thread. In no way do we need to triple our spending in order to compete for the CFP.

You cherry picked, but y'all are right I was dead wrong we got all we need. MSU will make the CFP within the next 5 years and win it. Everything that has to do with MSU is the most wonderful thing ever and how stupid of me to ever think that we couldn't achieve all of the most lofty goals that exist in all of collegiate sport even in gymnastics and swimming. Just dig me up when it happens. Also this 8th grade recruiting has killed our baseball program.

Dawg61
01-28-2019, 06:23 PM
You cherry picked, but y'all are right I was dead wrong we got all we need. MSU will make the CFP within the next 5 years and win it. Everything that has to do with MSU is the most wonderful thing ever and how stupid of me to ever think that we couldn't achieve all of the most lofty goals that exist in all of collegiate sport even in gymnastics and swimming. Just dig me up when it happens. Also this 8th grade recruiting has killed our baseball program.

It takes a long 17ing time dude. We are basically a mirror image of Clemson's program the twenty straight years prior to Dabo showing up. It took Clemson forever to get to where they are now. Have some damn patience cause we all are forced to. Whining about the slow ass process doesn't help one bit.

confucius say
01-28-2019, 06:26 PM

We def need more money. Just not as much as what some on here think.

It also should make us realize we got a good thing going. Just need to keep building. Auburn spends twice what we do on football and is not more than marginally ahead of us, if at all.