PDA

View Full Version : Biggest win for MSU Men's Basketball in a decade.......

Liverpooldawg
01-26-2019, 10:36 PM
The impact deserves its own thread separate from the game thread. Monumental win for the program.

ShotgunDawg
01-26-2019, 10:37 PM
If Lamar distributes like that, it gets others involved & builds the confidence of the entire squad.

The team we were tonight can make a run

DogsofAnarchy
01-26-2019, 10:44 PM
The impact deserves its own thread separate from the game thread. Monumental win for the program.

Wow!! Positive post!! I agree 100%!! The league is pretty good so there is going to be ups and downs.

BB30
01-26-2019, 10:44 PM
Huge win. Hopefully this will back some of our fans away from the ledge. It’s a marathon not a sprint. Let the season play out we have a good squad that will get better as the season progresses. Fun game to watch and good crowd as well.

msstate7
01-26-2019, 10:46 PM
This week: at Bama, at om

We've got to find a way to split these games. Win both and we take a big step forward to locking in a bid

DogsofAnarchy
01-26-2019, 10:48 PM

We've got to find a way to split these games.

No we don’t. We have to win our home games and anything on the road is gravy.

Dawg61
01-26-2019, 10:48 PM
We won the SEC tournament in 2009 over Tennessee. That was a bigger win than this but that was a decade ago so this is probably a correct statement.

msstate7
01-26-2019, 10:51 PM
No we don’t. We have to win our home games and anything on the road is gravy.

I'm shooting for more than a 10 seed

Dawg61
01-26-2019, 10:51 PM

We've got to find a way to split these games. Win both and we take a big step forward to locking in a bid

We need to win those games because they've been big monkeys on our backs playing at both road arenas. I think we need 9 regular season SEC wins to be in. 8-10 is going to put us in last 4 in/out conversation and a nervous wreck on selection Sunday. 10-8 and we are a lock.

BB30
01-26-2019, 11:05 PM
Both of those games are certainly winnable. Just depends on which team shows up. I like this team and really think we are going to get it rolling at some point in the near future. Hopefully this will kickstart it.

Liverpooldawg
01-26-2019, 11:08 PM
We won the SEC tournament in 2009 over Tennessee. That was a bigger win than this but that was a decade ago so this is probably a correct statement.

As far as program builders go regular season trumps the SEC Tournament in spades.

Dawg61
01-26-2019, 11:32 PM
As far as program builders go regular season trumps the SEC Tournament in spades.

No winning the SEC Tournament gave us an auto bid into the NCAA tourney. Last time we've played in it actually. You hang banners for SEC Tournament Championships you don't hang them for wins vs #16 Auburn. I'm not knocking our win tonight as it was huge but it isn't bigger than winning an SEC Tournament Championship game. However that was a decade ago so I think I am agreeing with you right now. Only other competition I can think of would be Sidney & Bost beating #15 Arizona to win the 2k classic after also beating ranked aTm but we stumbled down the stretch that year to miss the tourney.

Liverpooldawg
01-26-2019, 11:50 PM
No winning the SEC Tournament gave us an auto bid into the NCAA tourney. Last time we've played in it actually. You hang banners for SEC Tournament Championships you don't hang them for wins vs #16 Auburn. I'm not knocking our win tonight as it was huge but it isn't bigger than winning an SEC Tournament Championship game. However that was a decade ago so I think I am agreeing with you right now. Only other competition I can think of would be Sidney & Bost beating #15 Arizona to win the 2k classic after also beating ranked aTm but we stumbled down the stretch that year to miss the tourney.

It really built a program, you must be correct.****

Dawg61
01-27-2019, 12:09 AM
It really built a program, you must be correct.****

It's been two hours since we beat Auburn

Liverpooldawg
01-27-2019, 12:27 AM
It's been two hours since we beat Auburn

It's been almost 10 years since the one you are citing. Tell me again how that helped build a program.

CadaverDawg
01-27-2019, 12:31 AM
Good win. Biggest in a decade? Pump the brakes. Let's just call it a much needed Home victory that we had to have. Auburn could tank for all we know. That's 3 straight losses. Still a very big win though, no doubt about it. Let's hope we follow it up with a good road trip this week.

Proud of the team. When we play D and penetrate on O, we're tough to beat...not sure why our guys can't understand that. We seem to always drift back into "lazy D and jacking the 3" mode every few games. Great halftime adjustment tonight. Big win

Dawg61
01-27-2019, 12:38 AM
It's been almost 10 years since the one you are citing. Tell me again how that helped build a program.

Is this a discussion board or not? Seemed like you wanted some discussion on it since you posted a thread about it.

Cooterpoot
01-27-2019, 05:27 AM
That wasn’t a special win, it was a must win. AU is floundering in mediocrity. At least Peters passed the ball though.

MarketingBully
01-27-2019, 06:18 AM
When we play like that and share the basketball, we are very hard to beat. But the debate I want to end is saying how little talent we have. It?s pretty obvious to anyone with half a brain this team is extremely talented.

BrunswickDawg
01-27-2019, 06:59 AM

Any possibly important win by Sidney or Bost is negated by the cancer they inflicted upon the program.

somebodyshotmypaw
01-27-2019, 08:18 AM
Any possibly important win by Sidney or Bost is negated by the cancer they inflicted upon the program.

Agreed. Sidney and Bost were program destroyers. Both were terrible cancers.

Saltydog
01-27-2019, 11:21 AM
Losing at home to UM hurt.

Dawg61
01-27-2019, 12:57 PM

Ok so how far do you want to go back to compare our regular season win vs Auburn against?

BrunswickDawg
01-27-2019, 01:58 PM
Ok so how far do you want to go back to compare our regular season win vs Auburn against?

I'd say you can't judge something like that until the end of a season. If this win propels us to a strong season, then it's big. If we skunk the SEC the rest of the way, then it was a blip on the radar. Those wins you cited were a blip because that team went in the tank, missed post season and got their coach fired. A big win for a program has to actually mean something. This may mean something, may not.

BuckyIsAB****
01-27-2019, 02:03 PM
Auburn hasnt won in a while. Their biggest player was out. I know we are all looking for positives and Im glad we won but pump the brakes. Or you can just do what this team has done forever and get your hopes up for them to let you down again. We still dont play hard all the time we play when we want too and we cant make free throws. All that is discipline and culture. Hard truth but truth

Dawg61
01-27-2019, 06:16 PM
I'd say you can't judge something like that until the end of a season. If this win propels us to a strong season, then it's big. If we skunk the SEC the rest of the way, then it was a blip on the radar. Those wins you cited were a blip because that team went in the tank, missed post season and got their coach fired. A big win for a program has to actually mean something. This may mean something, may not.

I love it when you call Liverpool's threads meaningless**

skadoosh14
01-28-2019, 01:52 PM
That wasn?t a special win, it was a must win. AU is floundering in mediocrity. At least Peters passed the ball though.

To me, that feels like what makes or breaks us. When Peters distributes the ball well we're able to get inside for easy points. When he doesn't, well, we better hope we're having a good night from behind the arch.

BrunswickDawg
01-28-2019, 01:57 PM
I love it when you call Liverpool's threads meaningless**

I like it when I can kill 2 birds with 1 stone.

Ari Gold
01-28-2019, 04:04 PM
I'm shooting for more than a 10 seed

Of course a lower seed is better but Once you fall past the 4 seed line , seeding isn?t as important as matchups
There are going to be certain teams we don?t match up good agaisnt no matter the seed
Example say we are a 8 or 9 and win that game
Some may disagree but I had rather play 1 seed Duke rather than a 1 seed Virgina

msu15
01-28-2019, 04:07 PM
Of course a lower seed is better but Once you fall past the 4 seed line , seeding isn?t as important as matchups
There are going to be certain teams we don?t match up good agaisnt no matter the seed
Example say we are a 8 or 9 and win that game
Some may disagree but I had rather play 1 seed Duke rather than a 1 seed Virgina

Got to disagree on that last sentence. Zion would absolutely eat Holman alive