PDA

View Full Version : Brian Haddad Video interview with Lemonis

The Federalist Engineer
01-26-2019, 08:42 PM
(1) Halter is only going to hit for us. Not a pitcher
(2) coach specifically mentions Cerantola and Brandon Smith as his freshman to contribute - clearly JT Ginn is just a given to contribute
(3) coach likes both freshman catchers to contribute, Jones and Hancock
(4) coach says Hatcher playing very well and very versatile

Much more- go to YouTube and type Brian Hadad, this a 10 minutes interview, the most recent

https://youtu.be/1YBFoSzyZSs

KOdawg1
01-26-2019, 09:06 PM
Ginn threw 94 mph in the scrimmage today.

Todd4State
01-26-2019, 09:34 PM
1. Halter as a dual threat guy was something that was discussed more when Cann was the coach. Looks like that isn't the case at the moment but if he gets drafted and goes pro he could always switch to the mound at any point in time anyway.

2. I could see this. Eric Cerentola most years would be our top pitching recruit except that we landed a first round pick this year. Cerentola pitched for Team Canada, was a MLB.com top 200 draft prospect and was a 30th round draft pick by the Rays. Brandon Smith is more of a relief prospect at least at this point in his career who may become a rotation guy later. He played at Richland HS but was in the low 90's his senior year and he is a darkhorse candidate to be our closer. If those two step up our pitching is going to be better than expected.

3. I think we will use a two catcher platoon with Skelton starting and then either Gilbert, Hayden Jones, or former 8th grade commit Luke Hancock being the second one.

4. We'll see if he can hit LH pitching and he hurt us defensively against Ole Miss in the OF in our one loss to them. I can't see him starting over Tanner Allen at first and unless he has improved a LOT defensively I can't see him playing the OF. I think he starts as junior though after Mangum and MacNamee graduate and we maybe move Allen to the OF at that point. If Halter struggles as I suspect he will we can move Rowdey to second, Allen to LF, and then start Hatcher at first. Maybe. If he really is more versatile and can play the OF as well as first base he probably will play more than expected.

Pit Bull
01-26-2019, 09:36 PM
I'm expecting a lot out of Josh Hatcher. He showed me some real grit last year and the capability to put a flat spot on the side of a baseball.

Barkman Turner Overdrive
01-26-2019, 11:03 PM
Is the name of this series two Humpty Dumpties talking?

AlSwearengen
01-26-2019, 11:10 PM
Wasn’t Christian Macleod mentioned by one of the baseball writers at the end of fall as being pretty impressive in the scrimmage that he watched? I also thought i remember him being mentioned multiple times by different posters here as being the best (most ready to pitch now)freshman pitcher behind Ginn. Am i misremembering?

The Federalist Engineer
01-27-2019, 01:09 AM
Wasn’t Christian Macleod mentioned by one of the baseball writers at the end of fall as being pretty impressive in the scrimmage that he watched? I also thought i remember him being mentioned multiple times by different posters here as being the best (most ready to pitch now)freshman pitcher behind Ginn. Am i misremembering?

Nope, you recall correctly. I think PG's or D1 preview on MSU this year said that McLeod was so good that he could be our #3 and that it's between Keegan James and McLeod for that final weekend spot.

Maybe we have so much freshman talent the coach is spreading the wealth on shout-outs and/or can't remember all the names when put on the spot.

DownwardDawg
01-27-2019, 08:56 AM
1. Halter as a dual threat guy was something that was discussed more when Cann was the coach. Looks like that isn't the case at the moment but if he gets drafted and goes pro he could always switch to the mound at any point in time anyway.

2. I could see this. Eric Cerentola most years would be our top pitching recruit except that we landed a first round pick this year. Cerentola pitched for Team Canada, was a MLB.com top 200 draft prospect and was a 30th round draft pick by the Rays. Brandon Smith is more of a relief prospect at least at this point in his career who may become a rotation guy later. He played at Richland HS but was in the low 90's his senior year and he is a darkhorse candidate to be our closer. If those two step up our pitching is going to be better than expected.

3. I think we will use a two catcher platoon with Skelton starting and then either Gilbert, Hayden Jones, or former 8th grade commit Luke Hancock being the second one.

4. We'll see if he can hit LH pitching and he hurt us defensively against Ole Miss in the OF in our one loss to them. I can't see him starting over Tanner Allen at first and unless he has improved a LOT defensively I can't see him playing the OF. I think he starts as junior though after Mangum and MacNamee graduate and we maybe move Allen to the OF at that point. If Halter struggles as I suspect he will we can move Rowdey to second, Allen to LF, and then start Hatcher at first. Maybe. If he really is more versatile and can play the OF as well as first base he probably will play more than expected.

Well played

stalkingpoon
01-27-2019, 09:13 AM
5 imaginary bucks to anyone who can show me where to buy that hoodie he has on.

AlSwearengen
01-27-2019, 09:42 AM
Nope, you recall correctly. I think PG's or D1 preview on MSU this year said that McLeod was so good that he could be our #3 and that it's between Keegan James and McLeod for that final weekend spot.

Maybe we have so much freshman talent the coach is spreading the wealth on shout-outs and/or can't remember all the names when put on the spot.

We really need one more freshman aside from Ginn to be SEC good and a couple of others to be SEC pretty good. And this would be a good time for McQuarry and Breaux to figure it out. We are counting on Self and Price (eventually) to be good and they both have injury issues. I feel like we are walking a thin line knowing what we know right now.

The Federalist Engineer
01-27-2019, 11:09 AM
We really need one more freshman aside from Ginn to be SEC good and a couple of others to be SEC pretty good. And this would be a good time for McQuarry and Breaux to figure it out. We are counting on Self and Price (eventually) to be good and they both have injury issues. I feel like we are walking a thin line knowing what we know right now.

Compared to recent years we are great shape and feel really good about 2019. Mathematically, you only need 10 arms for a season, 8 for the SEC, and 6 for post season. I dare say we won't be repeating the fiasco of pitching a Brent Rooker in the SEC tournament because we only have 7 pitchers.

1. Small
2. James
3. Ginn
4. Gordon
5. Self
6. Plumlee (I am by myself in recalling he gave us 60 innings in a Super Regional season)
---------
7. Cerantola
8. McLeod
9. Eagan (Coach is signaling that he is a candidate to replace Zach Neff's great productivity)
10. Price (will climb the table of prominence as the season unfolds)
---------
11. Smith
12. White
13. Spring

AlSwearengen
01-27-2019, 11:57 AM
Federalist, keep in mind that James has shown flashes but hasn’t sustained anything over a long period. Gordon can be lights out and struggle mightily. We have to be prepared and hope that someone emerges to take the place of someone who doesn’t perform as expected. We have had quite a few of those in recent years. Look at Woodruff and Houston. 1st round type of talent that never could be consistent but one is in the show and the other is on the verge.

Choctaw Dawg
01-27-2019, 01:50 PM
Compared to recent years we are great shape and feel really good about 2019. Mathematically, you only need 10 arms for a season, 8 for the SEC, and 6 for post season. I dare say we won't be repeating the fiasco of pitching a Brent Rooker in the SEC tournament because we only have 7 pitchers.

1. Small
2. James
3. Ginn
4. Gordon
5. Self
6. Plumlee (I am by myself in recalling he gave us 60 innings in a Super Regional season)
---------
7. Cerantola
8. McLeod
9. Eagan (Coach is signaling that he is a candidate to replace Zach Neff's great productivity)
10. Price (will climb the table of prominence as the season unfolds)
---------
11. Smith
12. White
13. Spring
Also McQuary, I feel he could be around the 8-9 spot in that list.

The Federalist Engineer
01-27-2019, 03:54 PM
Also McQuary, I feel he could be around the 8-9 spot in that list.

McQ is a big time prospect, if the lights turn on, he could be way high on the list

This is the reason I love this staff, lots of prospects. Somebody is gonna go Vance Tatum, Woodruff, or Daryl Norris but somebody else could go Junior Year version Hudson, Houston, or Lindgren

I hope McQ's girodos drop this year

War Machine Dawg
01-27-2019, 08:36 PM

Imma be sick. Skelton needs to be buried under the bench.

Dawg61
01-27-2019, 11:00 PM
or former 8th grade commit Luke Hancock being the second one.

You bragging our 8th grade commit is Skelton's BACKUP

https://media.giphy.com/media/13l7w7N4Vr1dw4/giphy.gif

Todd4State
01-27-2019, 11:18 PM
Imma be sick. Skelton needs to be buried under the bench.

We'll see how Skelton looks with some coaching. If he looks bad we're going to look at other options- which we didn't have last year. I think we will use two catchers anyway. BTW- Marshall Gilbert has been switched to third base it looks like.

Todd4State
01-27-2019, 11:18 PM
You bragging our 8th grade commit is Skelton's BACKUP

https://media.giphy.com/media/13l7w7N4Vr1dw4/giphy.gif

Nope. I'm bragging because you were wrong. Again.

Dawg61
01-27-2019, 11:56 PM
Nope. I'm bragging because you were wrong. Again.

How exactly am I wrong when the worst player in Omaha is still starting for us?

Todd4State
01-28-2019, 01:38 AM
How exactly am I wrong when the worst player in Omaha is still starting for us?

Referring to your stance that recruiting 8th graders is a "waste of time". And yet Hancock is on the team and if you actually listened to the video you would know that he was mentioned as a candidate to play some this year. And as he is just a freshman I anticipate that he starts regularly by his junior year more than likely. Which would make us 2/2 so far on 8th graders that became SEC starters for us. Waste of time indeed.**

Dawg61
01-28-2019, 02:21 AM
Referring to your stance that recruiting 8th graders is a "waste of time". And yet Hancock is on the team and if you actually listened to the video you would know that he was mentioned as a candidate to play some this year. And as he is just a freshman I anticipate that he starts regularly by his junior year more than likely. Which would make us 2/2 so far on 8th graders that became SEC starters for us. Waste of time indeed.**

Cool so eight years later from the time he committed he might be a regular starter. Eight years bruh. That's two shy of a full decade. Hahahahaha

Homedawg
01-28-2019, 11:57 AM

and to add, he's going to play and missed the entire fall due to that crap he had to deal with.