PDA

View Full Version : Warren Reporting

Really Clark?
01-26-2019, 01:19 PM
We have hired Michael Johnson as WR coach

msstate7
01-26-2019, 01:22 PM
Was he lead on recruiting the penn st wr transfer?

MarketingBully
01-26-2019, 01:25 PM

Yes.

Big4Dawg
01-26-2019, 01:26 PM

yep.

msstate7
01-26-2019, 01:26 PM
Yes.

Good news x2 then

msstate7
01-26-2019, 01:27 PM
Was he lead? He's his dad lol

What?!!! Damn, how'd I miss that? Haha

Let's hope he can lock down his son down better than sirmon

Big4Dawg
01-26-2019, 01:28 PM
What?!!! Damn, how'd I miss that? Haha

Let's hope he can lock down his son down better than sirmon

I am wrong lol. jk. just same last name. i read an article wrong

Big4Dawg
01-26-2019, 01:29 PM
This is Michael Johnson's son:

https://247sports.com/player/michael-johnson-jr-89906/

KOdawg1
01-26-2019, 01:30 PM
Great hire.

Now, hurry up and get all the paperwork done so he can officially recruit for us and get him on the phone with Jonathan Mingo.

Commercecomet24
01-26-2019, 01:31 PM
Great get right here.

CadaverDawg
01-26-2019, 01:32 PM
Boom, good hire Joe. He's trying hard, i appreciate that

ShotgunDawg
01-26-2019, 01:41 PM
Good hire.

Get him on the phone with DJ James immediately.

While I know he didn't recruit DJ at Oregon, he can still speak to the program and why DJ needs to stay home.

Dawgfan77
01-26-2019, 01:43 PM
His son is already enrolled at Penn State I believe

CadaverDawg
01-26-2019, 01:48 PM
Why are Oregon fans acting happy that Johnson is leaving?

Bothrops
01-26-2019, 01:53 PM

Probably bitter about it. Just a guess though

Really Clark?
01-26-2019, 01:55 PM

I think it’s similar to why Louisville fans were happy for the Grantham for Sirmon swap, at a smaller degree

CadaverDawg
01-26-2019, 01:58 PM
I think it’s similar to why Louisville fans were happy for the Grantham for Sirmon swap, at a smaller degree

Hopefully you're right and it's just bitterness....bc I don't like the "lack of development" and "his receivers dropped too many passes" comments in this thread....

https://247sports.com/college/oregon/Board/45/Contents/Oregon-Football-Michael-Johnson-128301999/

KOdawg1
01-26-2019, 02:05 PM
Hopefully you're right and it's just bitterness....bc I don't like the "lack of development" and "his receivers dropped too many passes" comments in this thread....

https://247sports.com/college/oregon/Board/45/Contents/Oregon-Football-Michael-Johnson-128301999/

You're not an OC in the NFL unless you know what you're doing. He's a good coach. I have no idea about his recruiting abilities though. Hopefully, his NFL experience plus west coast ties can work out for us

CadaverDawg
01-26-2019, 02:07 PM
You're not an OC in the NFL unless you know what you're doing. He's a good coach. I have no idea about his recruiting abilities though. Hopefully, his NFL experience plus west coast ties can work out for us

Good points

Really Clark?
01-26-2019, 02:19 PM

He developed Mitchell, one of the top WR in the country.

MarketingBully
01-26-2019, 02:20 PM

It’s called sour grapes.

Commercecomet24
01-26-2019, 02:25 PM
It's the same everywhere. If a coach leaves your program he must suck lol

Bdawg
01-26-2019, 02:29 PM

Well if other folks read our boards about our offensive staff, they would be more than nervous about hiring from MSU!!

preachermatt83
01-26-2019, 02:32 PM
A huge upgrade over Getsy.

BeardoMSU
01-26-2019, 02:34 PM

So now rats are jumping onto the sinking ship? Does that happen, often? And not just rats, but rats that are better at their job than the ones who've just jumped off? Huh?**

You gotta make up your mind, lol.

Bodaski
01-26-2019, 02:50 PM

My question to you preachermatt83, how do you know this for a fact? You stated it as a fact and that tells me you know both professionally and have worked on the same staffs together to be able to make a bold statement like you did. For all I know you may be right. I'm asking you how you came to that statement?

tireddawg
01-26-2019, 03:04 PM
My question to you preachermatt83, how do you know this for a fact? You stated it as a fact and that tells me you know both professionally and have worked on the same staffs together to be able to make a bold statement like you did. For all I know you may be right. I'm asking you how you came to that statement?

Wishful thinking

dawgday166
01-26-2019, 03:11 PM

Hope we ain't getting more of what I witnessed this past year.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
01-26-2019, 04:17 PM

Similar to a fanbase when a player flips. "He was undersized anyway"..."I wasn't ever impressed with his film" It is a way to downplay it to lessen the blow in the minds

Dawg-gone-dawgs
01-26-2019, 04:19 PM

He can't go on the field and make them catch the ball. They can either catch or they can't. Talent level helps

Noxdog
01-26-2019, 04:23 PM
Because he is a Baptist preacher. It makes him all knowing, don't you know?

he doesn't know shit from shinola.

CadaverDawg
01-26-2019, 04:27 PM
He can't go on the field and make them catch the ball. They can either catch or they can't. Talent level helps

Fair enough. Just curious. Hire looks good on the surface. Who recruited his WR's that can't catch? Has he been there long?

MaroonFlounder
01-26-2019, 04:58 PM
WR's that can't catch?

He ain't seen nothing yet. Wait til he gets a load of our stone hands crew.

Mobile Bay
01-26-2019, 05:09 PM

Because their wide receivers sucked under him.

We are gonna want Croom back after Morehead gets done.

RezDog7
01-26-2019, 05:13 PM

Hopefully you will be gone first.

CadaverDawg
01-26-2019, 05:15 PM

I wouldn't want Croom back as bathroom urinal cleaner.

Really Clark?
01-26-2019, 05:26 PM
There are still Tenn fans who thinks Shoop was a bad DC and we made a stupid hire. Louisville fans were sick of Grantham and wanted someone new, etc. I can think of many on here thought Dan was lazy and made a bad hire bringing in Baker who was coaching HS at the time and was ?run out of the NFL or would have been still in the league? etc. Lord everyone knows I was very harsh about Moorhead this season but his last 3 hires I really really like. Is there black spots on their records, absolutely. Whether professionally or personally but that?s true with most coaches. Including Bear, Bobby, Saban, etc. Tony, Richardson and now Johnson all have very good resumes, known as very good coaches, people and recruiters. It may or may not work out but the Experience and ability with each one is very good.

Really Clark?
01-26-2019, 05:29 PM

He has one of the best in the country as well

ShotgunDawg
01-26-2019, 05:39 PM
Here's my opinion on the deal:

I have absolutely no idea how good of a WR coach Getsy was or Johnson is and neither do you.

However, with Joe being a relatively new head coach, I like the fit better of having a guy that has recruited and developed players at a high level in college football before. Getsy may end being a great coach someday, maybe even a head coach, but for our particular circumstance, I like having a guy that has more experience doing college football things than Getsy.

Goldendawg
01-26-2019, 05:57 PM

I have absolutely no idea how good of a WR coach Getsy was or Johnson is and neither do you.

However, with Joe being a relatively new head coach, I like the fit better of having a guy that has recruited and developed players at a high level in college football before. Getsy may end being a great coach someday, maybe even a head coach, but for our particular circumstance, I like having a guy that has more experience doing college football things than Getsy.

Hard to judge how good a coach is and where. I had not heard of Freddie Kitchens for years and now he's a head coach in the NFL. I hated having Bruce Ariens has our OC way back in the day and look where he ended up. Sometimes, it's all about the best fit.

ShotgunDawg
01-26-2019, 06:06 PM
Hard to judge how good a coach is and where. I had not heard of Freddie Kitchens for years and now he's a head coach in the NFL. I hated having Bruce Ariens has our OC way back in the day and look where he ended up. Sometimes, it's all about the best fit.

Agree. Us fans really have no idea how good anybody is except the head coach. That being said though, I think Joe needed a college coach at this position that has experience developing flawed talent and recruiting.

the_real_MSU_is_us
01-26-2019, 06:08 PM
https://www.reddit.com/r/CFB/comments/ak3svo/mississippi_state_expected_to_hire_oregon_wr/

For those of you who don't use Reddit, the fans on there tend to be very chill and not salty. Since its' every fanbase mixed together ridiculous biased called out by 3rd party observers.

Anyway, Oregon fans overall are VERY happy he's gone. Bad hands, poor overall development, and the decline of the group overall were mentioned.

Positives are that some Oregon fans say he had no talent to work with in the first place, and nobody's said he's a bad recruiter. One guy used a lot of stats to say the decline of the WR's was a bit overstated. Another guy noted he just signed a great group or WR's.

But overall, this was certainly one of the more alarming posts I've seen on Reddit about a new hire. It's almost always "things just didn't work out here for whatever reason" as the harshest it gets.

Overall, I can't hate the hire because even if he sucks a good recruiter still leaves you in great shape for the next guy. I'm very concerned about the complaints of bad hands though.

yjnkdawg
01-26-2019, 06:10 PM
It's the same everywhere. If a coach leaves your program he must suck lol

OM started this philosophy , and other football programs followed suit. LOL So OM may actually be No 1 in something. ;)

yjnkdawg
01-26-2019, 06:13 PM

Maybe 34 told him. *** ;)

Todd4State
01-26-2019, 06:25 PM
Remember our fans being worried about Bob Shoop because Tennessee's defense wasn't very good?

Johnson has coached WR's in the NFL and has been an OC in the NFL. He likely knows what he is doing. Plus he was at Oregon for two years and I doubt that they use JUCO's like we do to fill holes quickly there.

I think fans in general overestimate how much impact coaches can have on players who are simply just not very good or are at their ceiling. God given talent plus an extremely high work ethic are probably the two biggest predictors to having a high level of success in football based on my observations. See Walter Payton, Jerry Rice, Jim Brown, JJ Watt, Tom Brady, and etc. If I was taking Masterclass QB lessons from Sean Payton and I don't turn into Drew Brees 2.0 that doesn't mean that Sean Payton is a bad coach or "sucks". It just means I hit my ceiling and it wasn't up to NFL level.

BeardoMSU
01-26-2019, 06:26 PM
Maybe 34 told him. *** ;)

Lol, well to 34's credit, he at least posts his takes/opinions followed with at least some amount of substance, then hangs around and has a discussion with other folks on the board....

Foam-B just announces "rat's are jumping a sinking ship"....then announces "no one wants to work with that clown".....then somehow we "upgrade coaches" with a new hire......

BuckyIsAB****
01-26-2019, 07:46 PM
Great hire.

Now, hurry up and get all the paperwork done so he can officially recruit for us and get him on the phone with Jonathan Mingo.

They already have a good relationship Oregon offered Mingo his Jr year

BuckyIsAB****
01-26-2019, 07:49 PM

I have a pretty good idea. And know for a fact he wasnt doing much for us on the recruiting trail...this helps us with Mingo he didnt like Getsy. Havent heard from too many that do

BeardoMSU
01-26-2019, 07:57 PM
I have a pretty good idea. And know for a fact he wasnt doing much for us on the recruiting trail...this helps us with Mingo he didnt like Getsy. Havent heard from too many that do

Interesting. Good info on him being recruited to Oregon, too.

bulldawg28
01-27-2019, 09:38 AM
I'm glad to see a SEC looking staff being assembled. His initial team looked like a Big 10 group. It plays a part recruiting in the South.

preachermatt83
01-27-2019, 01:48 PM
Lol, well to 34's credit, he at least posts his takes/opinions followed with at least some amount of substance, then hangs around and has a discussion with other folks on the board....

Foam-B just announces "rat's are jumping a sinking ship"....then announces "no one wants to work with that clown".....then somehow we "upgrade coaches" with a new hire......

I'd love to meet you and sit down and discuss things with you sometimes. You and nox both. Would you be willing?