PDA

View Full Version : Sporting News preseason top 25 football poll

starkvegasdawg
01-25-2019, 06:58 PM
https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/sec-football/sporting-news-releases-preseason-top-25-for-2019-featuring-seven-sec-teams/?fbclid=IwAR3ptjX-s8XlR53BXJfg_M2N5gheE9XYWDSmZ-Es8UmYNiJkOBvZbqvr6Xc

MSU comes in 15.

No, this is not an article from last year.

Schultzy
01-25-2019, 07:01 PM
Is there anything on the planet more boring than college football anymore?

Jack Lambert
01-25-2019, 07:47 PM
Has Auburn found a QB?

Todd4State
01-25-2019, 08:16 PM
If we lose to the three teams ahead of us on our schedue- that's 9-3. And I think we would all take that.

Hope it happens!

Quaoarsking
01-25-2019, 08:22 PM
Can't be true. I read on Elite Dawgs that our coach and team are terrible and we're going 5-7 next year

msstate7
01-25-2019, 08:23 PM
If we lose to the three teams ahead of us on our schedue- that's 9-3. And I think we would all take that.

Hope it happens!

9-3 would be the best coaching job we've even seen here. I'd bet my life saving on under 9 wins

bulldawg28
01-25-2019, 08:38 PM
9-3 would be the best coaching job we've even seen here. I'd bet my life saving on under 9 wins

Bro, don't go for broke in sports. Anything can happen.

BrunswickDawg
01-25-2019, 08:59 PM
Never, ever, put money on MSU sports - to win or lose. I know you know that by now.

msstate7
01-25-2019, 09:00 PM
Never, ever, put money on MSU sports - to win or lose. I know you know that by now.

Yes, I do haha

Lost my natty bet on football and only a matter of time before I lose it on basketball

Todd4State
01-25-2019, 09:02 PM

It would also only be one more win than we had this year. Something to think about.

msstate7
01-25-2019, 09:04 PM
It would also only be one more win than we had this year. Something to think about.

With a lot more holes... 4 players of ours will be amoung the first 64 taken in the nfl draft

Todd4State
01-25-2019, 09:13 PM
With a lot more holes... 4 players of ours will be amoung the first 64 taken in the nfl draft

Daryl Williams and Erroll Thompson are already making noise for next year. Thompson was PFF second highest rated MLB in the SEC behind Devin White of LSU. I don't think it's far fetched to say than Cam Dantzler and Willie Gay could declare and leave early and be drafted in the top 64 next year either.

msstate7
01-25-2019, 09:17 PM
Daryl Williams and Erroll Thompson are already making noise for next year. Thompson was PFF second highest rated MLB in the SEC behind Devin White of LSU. I don't think it's far fetched to say than Cam Dantzler and Willie Gay could declare and leave early and be drafted in the top 64 next year either.

Rivers may could jump too. We have question marks in 2 of the 3 levels of our defense up the middle though. We have no idea how well key will play at qb in this system or if he'll even be our QB. I love the ranking, but I just don't see it right now. We were a 15th-ish team talent wise this year... hopefully we are next season

bluelightstar
01-25-2019, 09:22 PM
If Key is awesome in this system and we actually are Top 15, how long before the natives turn on JoMo for not going to him last year

msstate7
01-25-2019, 09:24 PM
If Key is awesome in this system and we actually are Top 15, how long before the natives turn on JoMo for not going to him last year

I'm as hard on Moorhead as anyone, but I wouldn't go after him for that. If key was ready this year, I think Moorhead would've played him. I'd actually give Moorhead a ton of credit for getting key ready to run his system

msugolf
01-25-2019, 09:51 PM
https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/sec-football/sporting-news-releases-preseason-top-25-for-2019-featuring-seven-sec-teams/?fbclid=IwAR3ptjX-s8XlR53BXJfg_M2N5gheE9XYWDSmZ-Es8UmYNiJkOBvZbqvr6Xc

MSU comes in 15.

Didn't know people still read The Sporting News. Though I also haven't been down to the Piggly Wiggly to pick one up in a while so it could be legit.

Goldendawg
01-25-2019, 09:58 PM

MSU comes in 15.

I thought everyone on this board said that SDS is a bunch of idiots and to not give them any clicks! Ok, now???****

Todd4State
01-25-2019, 10:21 PM

Even if we went 13-0 with Key as our QB in 2019 I wouldn't criticize Moorhead for staying with Nick as the QB. We're talking about benching a QB that set the SEC record for rushing yards. Without the benefit of hindsight most people would say roll with Nick.

I actually think the offense will run better with Key as the QB compared to Nick simply because Key won't just default to running the ball no matter what and distributes the ball much better than Nick. I suspect we will be stronger at WR next year too.

Goldendawg
01-25-2019, 10:41 PM
Even if we went 13-0 with Key as our QB in 2019 I wouldn't criticize Moorhead for staying with Nick as the QB. We're talking about benching a QB that set the SEC record for rushing yards. Without the benefit of hindsight most people would say roll with Nick.

I actually think the offense will run better with Key as the QB compared to Nick simply because Key won't just default to running the ball no matter what and distributes the ball much better than Nick. I suspect we will be stronger at WR next year too.

I watched the SFA game again. Key's yards passing and TD's were impressive, but his completion % was under 50% against a very weak foe. Don't get me wrong, I hope Key is our starter and does very well if he wins the job. I am not in for this transfer QB stuff at all. Most are guys who couldn't win the job somewhere else. I could see it having a very negative effect on the locker room, ala Jackie bringing in a class of about 20 JC AA's of which only two were starting their second and last year at State!

Todd4State
01-25-2019, 11:16 PM
I watched the SFA game again. Key's yards passing and TD's were impressive, but his completion % was under 50% against a very weak foe. Don't get me wrong, I hope Key is our starter and does very well if he wins the job. I am not in for this transfer QB stuff at all. Most are guys who couldn't win the job somewhere else. I could see it having a very negative effect on the locker room, ala Jackie bringing in a class of about 20 JC AA's of which only two were starting their second and last year at State!

Hopefully having gone through the regular season, the bowl season and another fall will lead to some progress. I wish we would have been able to redshirt Key- and IMO that is actually to me probably why Joe was looking at transfers this offseason.

Pit Bull
01-26-2019, 05:52 AM
I will be shocked if we are a top 25 team next year. I mean SHOCKED. Now, 2020 we likely will be.

bulldawg28
01-26-2019, 10:54 AM
Has Auburn found a QB?

Auburn has Bo Nix coming in and a true sophomore from last year.

Doggie_Style
01-26-2019, 12:19 PM

Good lord are we now left with discussing hypothetical situations where someone might criticize Moorhead?

Lord McBuckethead
01-26-2019, 02:21 PM

The record, although awesome, didn't help us win a game when we had to do something other than run the ball with him. Love the dude, but if we could have won the same amount of games with Key, but he helped us score more than 7 pts in the sec losses, I would have gone with Key.

msstate7
01-26-2019, 02:43 PM
The record, although awesome, didn't help us win a game when we had to do something other than run the ball with him. Love the dude, but if we could have won the same amount of games with Key, but he helped us score more than 7 pts in the sec losses, I would have gone with Key.

^^ didn't watch aTm game

14/24 (.636) 241 yds (11.0 yds/att) 2 td 0 int 185.66 rating

dawgday166
01-26-2019, 03:04 PM
^^ didn't watch aTm game

14/24 (.636) 241 yds (11.0 yds/att) 2 td 0 int 185.66 rating

This and the AU game are the ones that have me concerned going forward with Joe. Why did we execute those game plans so well, yet in our losses we looked lost on offense. Totally lost. Never figured out why we didn't use some of the AU stuff more in later games and combine that some with what worked in the passing game against TAM.

Whatever the reasons ... we'll see if Joe figures it out and fixes it.

ETA: I don't think it's a simple as "it's Fitz' fault" or "it's all Joe's fault" and I damn sure don't think it's due to bad recruiting by Mullen & Co. We had the talent to be much better on O this past year, regardless of what anyone says.

Todd4State
01-26-2019, 03:32 PM

I understand where you are coming from and I think Joe was pretty close to doing that after LSU. I think more than anything we stayed with Nick because of perception purposes. If Nick wasn't coming off of a bad injury and wasn't the face of our football team I think it's a different situation. It also seems to me like MSU is trying to avoid QB controversy's like the plague ever since Dan took over.

This and the AU game are the ones that have me concerned going forward with Joe. Why did we execute those game plans so well, yet in our losses we looked lost on offense. Totally lost. Never figured out why we didn't use some of the AU stuff more in later games and combine that some with what worked in the passing game against TAM.

Whatever the reasons ... we'll see if Joe figures it out and fixes it.

ETA: I don't think it's a simple as "it's Fitz' fault" or "it's all Joe's fault" and I damn sure don't think it's due to bad recruiting by Mullen & Co. We had the talent to be much better on O this past year, regardless of what anyone says.

The offense looked better after A&M. 52 against Arkansas and 35 against Ole Miss. Yes, Alabama shut us out but Fitz didn't turn the ball over and there was a lot of officiating BS going on. I disagree about the talent on offense. We had major issues at QB (throwing the ball and reading defenses), WR (catching the ball), and OT. You can also include Hill's pass blocking issues as well. We had guys that had made plays from time to time against average to above average defensive talent but consistently underperformed against good talent. That's on recruiting.

CadaverDawg
01-26-2019, 03:59 PM
I'm as hard on Moorhead as anyone, but I wouldn't go after him for that. If key was ready this year, I think Moorhead would've played him. I'd actually give Moorhead a ton of credit for getting key ready to run his system

Yep