PDA

View Full Version : Ethan Small's first 7 Starts

The Federalist Engineer
01-24-2019, 01:03 AM
Ethan Small's first seven starts

vs Youngstown State (Friday)
vs Southern Miss (Friday)
vs Texas Tech (Saturday) (We should have James or Ginn pitch Sam Houston on Friday)
vs Maine
at Florida
vs Auburn
vs LSU

A Mayberry Machiavellian genius will use his ace on Texas Tech not on Sam Houston. This would show me that Lemonis is playing chess to earn a Super Regional

Also, we need an SEC starter for Tuesday March 5 vs East Carolina, need that scalp for a Super Regional, we should pitch our #4 vs Nebraska on March 3

Todd4State
01-24-2019, 01:23 AM
I bet we pitch Small on Friday against Sam Houston State.

East Carolina is going to be a big midweek game for us that will get some attention from the college baseball world.

Pit Bull
01-24-2019, 05:15 AM
Ethan Small's first seven starts

vs Youngstown State (Friday)
vs Southern Miss (Friday)
vs Texas Tech (Saturday) (We should have James or Ginn pitch Sam Houston on Friday)
vs Maine
at Florida
vs Auburn
vs LSU

A Mayberry Machiavellian genius will use his ace on Texas Tech not on Sam Houston. This would show me that Lemonis is playing chess to earn a Super Regional

Also, we need an SEC starter for Tuesday March 5 vs East Carolina, need that scalp for a Super Regional, we should pitch our #4 vs Nebraska on March 3

I wouldn't be surprised if Small starts vs SHS. Coaches don't like to disturb a routine they plan to use all season. I think we have enough good pitching we can win all 3 games if we play well. I'm good with Small on every Fri. night if that's what it means to get ready for a successful conference run. BTW, Sam Houston could likely be the best team we face in that tourney. They had a strong following last year in Houston and were better than the U. of Houston or ULL during that weekend.

msstate7
01-24-2019, 07:00 AM
Anyone wanna tab an educated stab at our opening day lineup?

Jake - cf
No idea after that

timotheus
01-24-2019, 07:41 AM
1-Rowdy LF
2 Jake CF
3- Mac RF
4- Foscue 3B
5- Westburg SS
6- Halter 2B
7-Allen 1B
8- Skelton C
9- Landon Jordan DH

msstate7
01-24-2019, 07:44 AM
1-Rowdy LF
2 Jake CF
3- Mac RF
4- Foscue 3B
5- Westburg SS
6- Halter 2B
7-Allen 1B
8- Skelton C
9- Landon Jordan DH

So jake might not be lead off? If those top 5 hit to their ability, that's a really good top of the lineup

Pedrioa is King
01-24-2019, 07:47 AM
Christian MacLeod will pitch Tuesday’s.

ShotgunDawg
01-24-2019, 08:04 AM
1-Rowdy LF
2 Jake CF
3- Mac RF
4- Foscue 3B
5- Westburg SS
6- Halter 2B
7-Allen 1B
8- Skelton C
9- Landon Jordan DH

Halter hit .140 in the Fall. Need another bat

louisvilledawg
01-24-2019, 09:35 AM
1-Rowdy LF
2 Jake CF
3- Mac RF
4- Foscue 3B
5- Westburg SS
6- Halter 2B
7-Allen 1B
8- Skelton C
9- Landon Jordan DH

Question about Foscue: Why would he hit in the cleanup spot? He batted .241 last year and had only 3 bombs. He did only K 12% of his ABs which is great, I'm just curious what you see in him to put him at 4 hole.

I'm not knocking him at all, just want your insight. I like Foscue, but I would put him in the 6-7 spot personally.

I seen it dawg
01-24-2019, 09:48 AM
So jake might not be lead off? If those top 5 hit to their ability, that's a really good top of the lineup

Most likely this is just a list by position if you notice the post went around the field, from left to right.

I seen it dawg
01-24-2019, 09:49 AM
Sam i said no slouch and i could see Small go then on a Friday. We are gonna have to see how our other pitchers perform in big games besides Small. Throw Ginn or James and let's roll.

Dawg61
01-24-2019, 09:52 AM
Skelton is our starting catcher again? Wut

Johnson85
01-24-2019, 09:56 AM
Question about Foscue: Why would he hit in the cleanup spot? He batted .241 last year and had only 3 bombs. He did only K 12% of his ABs which is great, I'm just curious what you see in him to put him at 4 hole.

I'm not knocking him at all, just want your insight. I like Foscue, but I would put him in the 6-7 spot personally.

I haven't paid attention at all since the post season, but just the way everybody played then, I would have thought it'd be more like:

1/2 Jake CF/Rowdy LF
3/4 Mac RF/Westburg SS
5- Foscue 3B

and after that I have no clue. Maybe

6- Allen 1B
7-Halter 2B
8- Skelton C
9- Landon Jordan DH

RiverCityDawg
01-24-2019, 10:50 AM

This is where I am. He's not an average hitter, runner, receiver or thrower. On top of that people say the others players don't really like him, so I can't imagine he handles pitchers well. He had a stretch towards the end of the season where he had few timely hits/walks, but it certainly wasn't the norm and didn't carry over in the late postseason games. I can't believe he's still the best option unless he's made an incredible improvement.

AlSwearengen
01-24-2019, 11:05 AM
I’m hoping that the freshman catcher from Indiana can progress as the seasons goes along and take over. I thought he was getting good reviews during the fall, maybe i’m wrong though.

msstate7
01-24-2019, 11:06 AM
Most likely this is just a list by position if you notice the post went around the field, from left to right.

Ahhh... I'm dumb. Not telling you anything though, huh? Haha

Homedawg
01-24-2019, 11:21 AM

Coaches reports were he outpreformed the others by a pretty big margin. Now, maybe he got a lot better or the others just had a tough time as newcomers. The transition to sec baseball isn't easy.

Coursesuper
01-24-2019, 11:38 AM
Coaches reports were he outpreformed the others by a pretty big margin. Now, maybe he got a lot better or the others just had a tough time as newcomers. The transition to sec baseball isn't easy.

That’s very true, the transition is huge, I’ll admit I was very surprised how well Landon Jordan did this fall.

StarkVegasSteve
01-24-2019, 12:13 PM

Physical tools behind the plate wise Skelton is our best catcher by a wide margin. Now I don't know what happened in Game 3 of the Super because he was all over the place and almost cost us the game. However, everything I've heard has been that he outperformed the others in the fall.

Saltydog
01-24-2019, 12:25 PM
and Rowdy to bat second.

The Federalist Engineer
01-24-2019, 12:49 PM
Halter hit .140 in the Fall. Need another bat

If he can't hit better than that, then 2b will be Landon Jordan and DH will be Hatcher, no?

If MLB thinks Halter is a draftable pitcher, I hope we are developing him for that future. It would be great to have another talented close-out guy.

Todd4State
01-24-2019, 12:54 PM
If he can't hit better than that, then 2b will be Landon Jordan and DH will be Hatcher, no?

If MLB thinks Halter is a draftable pitcher, I hope we are developing him for that future. It would be great to have another talented close-out guy.

Jordan didn't look good defensively at second in the fall.

Homedawg
01-24-2019, 01:03 PM
Jordan didn't look good defensively at second in the fall.

correct, much more at home at 3b

I seen it dawg
01-24-2019, 01:11 PM
The problem i had with Skelton is it looked to me like he was lazy and no one held him accountable. If that has changed then he could be a good catcher.

Coursesuper
01-24-2019, 01:39 PM
correct, much more at home at 3b

That’s his natural spot, he played there during summer ball and others. Doesn’t move well up the middle at second.

Dawg61
01-24-2019, 01:52 PM
My main problem with Skelton is he couldn't catch the ball or hold any runners and he tried to bunt for hits a couple of times despite being the slowest guy on the field. Other than that though.

timotheus
01-24-2019, 03:31 PM

Yes, I just went position by position. Halter is hot as of late. I'm not predicting Skelton to start all the season but as of day 1, I think he is farther along than the others. Tucker Childers is hot here lately also and will possibly not be a red shirt candidate.

timotheus
01-24-2019, 03:32 PM
The problem i had with Skelton is it looked to me like he was lazy and no one held him accountable. If that has changed then he could be a good catcher.

He is actually being coached to play the position now.

I seen it dawg
01-24-2019, 07:29 PM

I had hoped and expected he would be. Post more baseball please.

BuckyIsAB****
01-24-2019, 07:50 PM
Im ready for it to get going. Ready to see that new stadium

Steakonastick
01-24-2019, 07:52 PM
Cf Jake
Lf Rowdy
Rf macnamee
1b Allen
Ss Westburg
3b foscue
Dh Jordan
C Skelton
2b Halter

Friday- small
Saturday- Ginn
Sunday- James

msstate7
01-24-2019, 08:04 PM
Cf Jake
Lf Rowdy
Rf macnamee
1b Allen
Ss Westburg
3b foscue
Dh Jordan
C Skelton
2b Halter

Friday- small
Saturday- Ginn
Sunday- James

Looks good. Hopefully this is the year where Mac starts hitting before the end of the sec schedule.

BuckyIsAB****
01-24-2019, 08:49 PM
Can Ginn not play some DH? He would go to SS after he would get done pitching at Brandon. He could rake too

Todd4State
01-24-2019, 09:45 PM

That's exactly what I felt like most of the issue with Skelton was last year. And why I wanted us to get a coach that would focus at least some on catching. Which we did with Cheesebrough. Hopefully it will pay off for us because a big reason we were eliminated in Omaha was Oregon State running on us and creating pressure on the bases. The other catchers will benefit also.

Todd4State
01-24-2019, 09:46 PM
Can Ginn not play some DH? He would go to SS after he would get done pitching at Brandon. He could rake too

He could. It depends on how quickly and if he can adjust to college pitching. Not sure about SS though. I would think maybe 1B/3B or LF if Halter doesn't work out and we have to move Rowdey to second. We'll see how it all comes together.

HoopsDawg
01-24-2019, 10:10 PM

Yes Ginn might DH. Also Foscue can play some 2B and so can Ginn if Halter doesn't hit.

Schultzy
01-25-2019, 06:58 PM
Y’all don’t respect Sam Houston? You better be a good enough program to beat them with your #2 guy.

What if their Friday night starter is pretty good?

ShotgunDawg
01-25-2019, 07:24 PM

Nah. He just lacks body control.

Dawg61
01-25-2019, 07:58 PM
Y’all don’t respect Sam Houston? You better be a good enough program to beat them with your #2 guy.

Nobody is lining up their #2 guy a month n a half out vs SHST. That's just nonsense.

Todd4State
01-25-2019, 08:17 PM

Lacked body control? He looked like he was playing on roller skates.

I seen it dawg
01-25-2019, 10:07 PM

Yeah I don't relate that to what i observed

The Federalist Engineer
01-26-2019, 05:46 PM
Y?all don?t respect Sam Houston? You better be a good enough program to beat them with your #2 guy.

It's not about disrespecting Sam Houston, it's about East Carolina and Texas Tech being key RPI games

This whole weekend + Tuesday can make us a national seed later

Of course, what Todd says is more probable we just pitch our rotation and have a high-ceiling true freshman face ECU that Tuesday. McLeod is considered a big deal, so I don't consider it a surrender

Todd4State
01-26-2019, 06:33 PM
It's not about disrespecting Sam Houston, it's about East Carolina and Texas Tech being key RPI games

This whole weekend + Tuesday can make us a national seed later

Of course, what Todd says is more probable we just pitch our rotation and have a high-ceiling true freshman face ECU that Tuesday. McLeod is considered a big deal, so I don't consider it a surrender

I suspect the other teams are going to rework their rotation just for our game as well. Which levels things out as well. I could see ECU maybe throwing their ace against us on a Tuesday- but if they do they are dumb. Losing to ECU won't make or break us though.