PDA

View Full Version : Nick Starkel transferring

HaggardDawg
01-22-2019, 11:20 PM
Immediate eligibility. Has 2 years left. Could this be a viable option for us?

msstate7
01-22-2019, 11:21 PM
We discussed him some in the recruiting thread. I think he could be a decent bridge to shrader

Todd4State
01-22-2019, 11:26 PM
It rhymes with Starkville so I say yes.

Dawg61
01-22-2019, 11:53 PM
Keytaon Thompson is our quarterback. Say it with me. "Rex Grossman is our quarterback."

https://media.makeameme.org/created/rex-is-5bd89e.jpg

ShotgunDawg
01-23-2019, 08:23 AM
I legitimately don't think Starkel is better than KT.

Notice how we haven't been connected to any grad Transfer QBs as of late.

HoopsDawg
01-23-2019, 10:35 AM
I legitimately don't think Starkel is better than KT.

Notice how we haven't been connected to any grad Transfer QBs as of late.

Doesn't make sense. Why go all out on Bryant and then stop? We have room under the 85/25 and we have a need.

MetEdDawg
01-23-2019, 10:47 AM
Any news on Buechele? He was the really interesting one to me. Thought there was potential mutual interest on both sides.

smootness
01-23-2019, 10:54 AM
Thompson is more talented than all these transfer QBs. If Moorhead can't get enough out of him, that's on him.

bluelightstar
01-23-2019, 11:32 AM
Doesn't make sense. Why go all out on Bryant and then stop? We have room under the 85/25 and we have a need.

Maybe Moorhead thought Bryant was worth it, but doesn't think KT is as horrible as this board seems to imagine.

msstate7
01-23-2019, 11:34 AM
Maybe Moorhead thought Bryant was worth it, but doesn't think KT is as horrible as this board seems to imagine.

Seems the bowl would've been a good time to get a look at him vs a good defense... at qb that is. Definetely not saying play him over fitz, but 2-3 series would've been really beneficial imo

bluelightstar
01-23-2019, 11:37 AM
Seems the bowl would've been a good time to get a look at him vs a good defense... at qb that is. Definetely not saying play him over fitz, but 2-3 series would've been really beneficial imo

We were in a tussle the entire 2nd half; not many coaches would change QBs at that point. We were down two scores in the first half, but, as we saw all season, Moorhead was going to sink or swim with the RS Sr. Fitz. We can debate the merits of that, but is what it is. I think this "didn't go to KT in the bowl game" thing is really overblown.

msstate7
01-23-2019, 11:41 AM
We were in a tussle the entire 2nd half; not many coaches would change QBs at that point. We were down two scores in the first half, but, as we saw all season, Moorhead was going to sink or swim with the RS Sr. Fitz. We can debate the merits of that, but is what it is. I think this "didn't go to KT in the bowl game" thing is really overblown.

What about LSU, Bama, om, and even ark to a point (could've played whole 4th)? Moorhead was reluctant to go with key all year

bluelightstar
01-23-2019, 11:45 AM
What about LSU, Bama, om, and even ark to a point (could've played whole 4th)? Moorhead was reluctant to go with key all year

Like I said, for whatever reason, Moorhead wasn't benching Fitz. There are all sorts of theories as to why that is. One of the main theories was that Key was much worse than Fitz in practice, which Moorhead seemed to finally shoot down before the A&M game when it looked like he was going to have to go to KT to save the season. Others are that he didn't want to bench a fifth-year SR who was arguably the "face" of the program. I don't have the stats handy, but someone posted the stats recently that showed that Key played more snaps than most backup QBs on other SEC teams did. Now, I'm not saying Moorhead loves Key, but I am saying that I think the tea leaves have been over-read.

msstate7
01-23-2019, 11:48 AM
Like I said, for whatever reason, Moorhead wasn't benching Fitz. There are all sorts of theories as to why that is. One of the main theories was that Key was much worse than Fitz in practice, which Moorhead seemed to finally shoot down before the A&M game when it looked like he was going to have to go to KT to save the season. Others are that he didn't want to bench a fifth-year SR who was arguably the "face" of the program. I don't have the stats handy, but someone posted the stats recently that showed that Key played more snaps than most backup QBs on other SEC teams did. Now, I'm not saying Moorhead loves Key, but I am saying that I think the tea leaves have been over-read.

You think maybe those stats could be skewed since fitz missed an entire game? Key threw 39 passes this year... 31 in game 1

bluelightstar
01-23-2019, 12:00 PM
You think maybe those stats could be skewed since fitz missed an entire game? Key threw 39 passes this year... 31 in game 1

Well, (as I said), I don't have the stats to make the comparison

smootness
01-23-2019, 12:42 PM
I don't know why people think Kelly Bryant is so great. He's fine, but people only know who he is because he played for Clemson.

Granted, Trevor Lawrence is a unicorn, but he was still a true freshman who stepped on campus and was immediately way better.

msstate7
01-23-2019, 12:54 PM
I don't know why people think Kelly Bryant is so great. He's fine, but people only know who he is because he played for Clemson.

Granted, Trevor Lawrence is a unicorn, but he was still a true freshman who stepped on campus and was immediately way better.

Want a funny stat?

Starkel in the sec passer rating in 2017 = 150.16
Bryant in the acc passer rating in 2017 = 131.73

They had a common opponent too...
KB vs auburn = 117.94
NS vs auburn = 150.26

I don't think starkel is very good, but I think Bryant straight up sucks considering the talent around him

HoopsDawg
01-23-2019, 01:06 PM
I don't know why people think Kelly Bryant is so great. He's fine, but people only know who he is because he played at Clemson

You mean Moorhead?

Dawg61
01-23-2019, 01:57 PM
Thompson is more talented than all these transfer QBs. If Moorhead can't get enough out of him, that's on him.

This. If Moorhead can't win with Thompson I don't want him as our HC.

RiverCityDawg
01-23-2019, 02:22 PM

It's not about what "people" think, it's about what Moorhead thinks and he clearly thought Bryant was a better option for us than KT in 2019. Since you're right that Bryant is really just "fine", it at least begs the question would Moorhead also prefer one of these other transfers over KT.

I think if Moorhead had not recruited Bryant and instead had given any sort of indication that he thinks KT is the guy, our fan base as a whole would be pretty comfortable with the QB situation. Instead, since the day he arrived Moorhead has been overly positive about the offense being great and wonderful, yet has given no positive impression that KT is the guy to take over and elevate the offense. That's what's driving this whole transfer QB discussion, not the fan opinion of Bryant or KT.

Yes, he should be able to win with KT, but maybe he can't. At this point it's not about what he "should" be able to do. He's our coach like it or not, so it's about what he "can" do, not "should" do.

Todd4State
01-23-2019, 05:01 PM

At what point during the Outback Bowl do you put Key in at QB? There really wasn't an opportunity and had we lost by four with Key taking a series or two everyone would have raked Moorhead over the coals for that. At least with the way we lost there is no hindsight.

Plus if Joe didn't like Key I don't think he would have used him at WR and RB in the Outback Bowl at all.

Todd4State
01-23-2019, 05:02 PM
This. If Moorhead can't win with Thompson I don't want him as our HC.

What if he wins with Shrader next year and goes 10-2? Would you still not want him as the coach?

msstate7
01-23-2019, 05:03 PM
What if he wins with Shrader next year and goes 10-2? Would you still not want him as the coach?
You know no one would.

What if he went 5-7 with shrader?

Todd4State
01-23-2019, 06:00 PM
You know no one would.

What if he went 5-7 with shrader?

I was just curious to see his thoughts. Point is it's pretty short sighted to say "If Joe can't win with Key at QB than I don't want him as our coach" especially if the guy he starts is better and does well.

bulldawg28
01-23-2019, 06:31 PM
At what point during the Outback Bowl do you put Key in at QB? There really wasn't an opportunity and had we lost by four with Key taking a series or two everyone would have raked Moorhead over the coals for that. At least with the way we lost there is no hindsight.

Plus if Joe didn't like Key I don't think he would have used him at WR and RB in the Outback Bowl at all.

Anywhere/anytime during the game. We were run only no pass attack at all.

Dawg61
01-23-2019, 06:58 PM

I wouldn't want him as our coach if he goes 7-5 with Shrader.

Pit Bull
01-23-2019, 07:18 PM

It does make sense......if a grad transfer isn't better than what we have on hand.....why waste a scholly? Hurts or Bryant maybe.....Fields definitely.....Starkel...nope!

Really Clark?
01-23-2019, 07:30 PM
It does make sense......if a grad transfer isn't better than what we have on hand.....why waste a scholly? Hurts or Bryant maybe.....Fields definitely.....Starkel...nope!

Not sure where he ends up but if I try for another transfer QB, I make a push for Buechele from Texas

Dawgfan77
01-23-2019, 08:03 PM
Josh Jackson from VATech is now on the market